• Published 27th Jan 2017
  • 707 Views, 60 Comments

Tainted Silver - Bluecatcinema



The history of Sterling Cross, revealed at last.

  • ...
2
 60
 707

Consequences

As the sun rose over Dodge Junction, its rays flooded over Sterling, waking him from his slumber.

"Hmmm..." Sterling stretched. He felt surprisingly good, considering the amount of alcohol he'd had the night before.

"Well, good morning, sunshine."

Sterling turned to see Shooting Star lying next to him, a big smile on her face.

"Oh, hey." Sterling yawned. "So... we actually... y'know?"

"We sure did." Shooting Star chuckled.

"For a second there, I thought it was just a wonderful dream." Sterling grinned.

"No, it was all real." Shooting Star nodded. "And amazing."

"That's putting it mildly." Sterling beamed. "It's been so long since I've been in bed with a mare. I'd almost forgotten how good it felt..."

Shooting Star's smile soon began to fade.

"...Who's Sunset?" She asked.

Suddenly, the good feeling was gone.

“Huh?” Sterling sat up quickly, “What are you talking about?”

“It was shortly after we… you know.” Shooting Star sighed, running her hoof along the sheet, “You were out like a light, and you had this really cute grin about you. I went to snuggle with you, and you said, and I quote: ‘I love you, Sunset’.”

“Oh… oh, jeez…” Sterling stuttered, a mix of embarrassment and guilt written on his face.

“I’m guessing she was somepony you used to know?” Shooting Star surmised, “She had to been really special for you to drop the L-word.”

“...Yeah, she was.” Sterling nodded glumly, “She was really special. But things between us didn’t… end well.” He shook his head, angry at himself. "I shouldn't have been thinking about her. Not while I was with you..."

"It's okay." Shooting Star told him. "Though am I right when I say that she is one of the ‘everypony’ that you hurt?"

“That’s right.” Sterling admitted, “Sunset got close to me, and she suffered for it. Suffered like you wouldn't believe. So I left her behind, to spare her more pain."

"And that's why you've been so weird around me." Shooting Star sighed. "Because you don't want me to get hurt?"

"Exactly." Sterling declared. "Shooting, you are the most amazing mare I've met in a long time. You're really something special. You've got a wonderful life, and I wouldn't want to risk you wrecking just by being close to me." He placed a hoof on her own. "So even if last night was amazing, I can't let this go any further."

"What? I don't get a say in this?" Shooting Star pouted indignantly.

"If you know what's good for you, then no." Sterling answered. "It's better for you, and better for my conscience. I've already got enough regrets. I don't want to add you to the list."

“...Very well.” Shooting Star tersely, “But I ain’t callin’ quits on ya, not yet. I’m still gonna be your friend.”

"Friend?" Sterling frowned. "I don't know..."

“Look, you need somepony to talk to about things, don't you?" Shooting Star asked. "That's why you dropped by last night, isn't it?"

"...Yeah, it was." Sterling nodded. "I just couldn't keep it to myself any more."

"And it would help to have somepony you can confide with, right?" Shooting Star urged.

"Right." Sterling nodded.

"Well, then, it would do you good to have me in your corner." Shooting Star grinned, “I’ll be there for you if you need me… and maybe somewhere down the line, we can give it another shot… sound like a fair deal?”

"I suppose it does... friend." Sterling nodded.

"Had a feeling you'd see things my way... friend." Shooting Star replied.

"Thanks for last night, by the way." Sterling grinned. "For both the talk and the sex. It’s been quite a while since I had any of both.”

“Glad I could provide.” Shooting Star sniggered, with a sly grin. “I’ve been needing a good rutting for a while now. When you’re on the road, doing concerts and shows and everything inbetween, who has the time?”

“Trust me, I know how that feels.” Sterling gave a small chuckle, “I’m just glad that Marshall was outta town last night.”

“No kidding.” Shooting Star snorted, “I love that big brother of mine, but he can be such a drag sometimes.”

“You got that right.” Sterling rolled his eyes, before smirking, “Heh, I can only see the look on his face if he ever found out about this. He’d really blow his stac-”

At that moment, the door to bedroom opened, and Marshall walked in, much to Sterling and Shooting Star’s shock.

“Hey, Shooting, sorry to wake you, but I just got back and I wanted to see if you wanted break-” Marshall started, before pausing and looking upon the scene upon him. His mouth was left open barely able to make a sound.

“Um… hey…” Sterling greeted weakly.

It took barely a second for Marshall to jump to the right conclusion.

“YOU!” Marshall roared, outraged, “You! You just… bucked my sister!”

"Uh... no?" Sterling lied feebly.

It was at that moment that Marshall Star went berserk.

"I'll kill you!!" Marshall bellowed.

Sterling leapt out of the bed just before Marshall attacked. The irate sheriff chased him around the room.

"Look at the time, gotta go!" Sterling yelped.

Before Marshall could catch him, Sterling leapt out of the window, climbing down to the street below. He then ran away as fast as he could, kicking up a cloud of dust.

"Yeah, you'd better run!" Marshall yelled out the window. "And don't ever let me catch you near here again!"

"Marshall!" Shooting Star yelled. "What's wrong with you?"

"What's wrong with me?!" Marshall spat. "You let that no-good piece of scum besmirch your honor!"

“I did no such thing!” Shooting Star scowled, “Besides, it was a one-time thing. We’ve decided to just stay friends for now.”

“For now?” Marshall repeated, “Oh, hell no! I don’t want Sterling anywhere near you! If he even glances at you, I’m going to make him rue the day he ever come into town!”

“Excuse me?!” Shooting Star snarled, “I’m not some teenage filly who snuck out last night! I’m a grown mare, and if I want to hang out with a guy, you can’t do jack-squat about it!”

“Well, I’m a buckin’ cop!” Marshall growled, “And I swear to Faust, I’m gonna make him pay for this!”

“Oh, sure you will.” Shooting Star sneered, rolling her eyes.

"Yes I will." Marshall spat. "That trouble-making's gone too far this time. Next time I see him, it won't be pretty..."

Marshall marched out of the room, slamming the door behind him.

Meanwhile, Sterling was halfway to Big Red's homestead, finally slowing from a run to a walk. While deep down, he knew what had happened back there did him no favor with Marshall, he could not help but relish the look on his face.

'The look on Marshall's face.' He smirked. 'That was the cherry on top...'

Sterling walked the rest of the way to the homestead with a spring in his step. He made his way into the kitchen, where Big Red and Cherry was residing, Big Red reading the morning paper.

"Hey, guys." He smiled.

"Where have you been?" Cherry frowned.

"Just at the bar." Sterling shrugged.

"All night?" Cherry asked.

"Well... not exactly all night." Sterling admitted. "I spent the rest of the night at a friend's house."

"Friend's house?" Big Red frowned. "The only friend yah got outside this house is Shooting Star... and Ah doubt Marshall woulda bin happy about it."

"He was busy last night." Sterling smiled. "So it was just me and Shooting. We talked, shared some good times..."

"From 'good times', Ah'm guessing yah mean sumthin' in the ol' bed department?" Big Red smirked.

"What?!" Sterling laughed awkwardly. "No, no! That's not what happened!"

"Oh, yeah?" Big Red snorted. "Then why would ya walk inta this kitchen with the biggest 'Ah jest got laid' smile Ah've ever seen?"

"I... er... Do I really look like that?" Sterling asked.

"Sure do." Big Red nodded. "So ya may as well come clean."

"Okay, I did have some 'bed fun' with Shooting Star." Sterling admitted.

"I must admit, I'm surprised." Cherry declared. "I didn't think you'd be Shooting's type."

"Neither did I." Sterling admitted.

"Ah did!" Big Red patted Sterling on the back. "Ah knew there wuz a spark between ya the first time ya met!"

"Yeah, well, don't go getting too excited." Sterling declared. "Because we decided we should just be friends for now. Besides, Marshall walked in on us in bed together. That sure isn't going to improve my standing with him..."

"Eh, he'll get over it quickly enough." Big Red shrugged. "Marshall ain't the type tah hold a grudge fer long."

"If you say so." Sterling rolled his eyes.

"Trust me." Big Red grinned. "He'll cool off before ya know it..."

Meanwhile, at the sheriff’s office...

"That lousy, stinkin' drifter!"

Marshall stormed around his office. It was bad enough that he caught Sterling in bed with his sister, but his sister had to gall to mock him.

“Of all the things he could had done… he did that to my sister!” Marshall seethed, “I don’t know how I’ll do it, but I’m gonna ship that asshole off to prison if it’s the last thing I do!”

Just then, there was a knock at the door.

"Grr, this'd better be good..." Marshall growled.

Marshall opened the door, finding a Pegasus Royal Guard standing outside, a small stack of papers held in one of his wings.

"Sheriff Marshall Starr?" The Guard asked.

“That’s me, what of it?” Marshall huffed.

“...Um, did I come at a bad time?” The royal guard frowned awkwardly.

“...No, no you didn’t.” Marshall shook his head, trying to rein in his temper, “So, what brings a Royal Guard to my humble little town?”

"Some new 'wanted' posters." The Guard announced. "We need you to copy these and spread them around town."

“Huh, you’re a little far from home, aren’t you?” Marshall asked, as he gestured the stallion in, “Canterlot doesn’t usually turn up ‘round here to ask for help with criminals.”

“Actually, we would've been here a lot sooner, but there's been some crazy crap going down.” The Guard grimaced. “Surely, you heard about that attack on Canterlot and the Changeling Territory?”

“Yeah, it was all over the news.” Marshall frowned, “Friends of mine actually went to Canterlot shortly after the attack to check up on relatives.”

“Between that and the bio-attack on the changelings, we haven’t much time to get the word out on the guys from the first attack. I was told you would be back this morning, which is why I am here now.” The royal guard explained.

“Well, ain’t no time like the present.” Marshall shrugged, “So, who are these scumbags?”

“I’m not sure, really.” The Guard admitted, as he handed him the posters. “I heard they're a part of this group called the Forefathers or something, ponies that the RDL have been focused on for a while. All I do know is that they are very bad news, and we need to apprehend them as soon as possible. We know the chances of any of them passing through here are remote, but it's better to be safe than sorry."

"My thoughts exactly." Marshall nodded. "And what a motley bunch we have here." He mused, checking each one in turn. "Funny how most criminals look exactly how you expect to-"

Marshall stopped as he reached the last poster in the pile. The picture shown was a fairly accurate drawing of Sterling. His blood ran cold.

’No. Buckin’. Way.’ Marshall gaped, as he glanced at Sterling’s poster intently, reading from the list of crimes that he was involved with on the Canterlot attack. 'It’s him. Sterling...'

"Something wrong?" The Guard asked.

"Oh, it's nothing." Marshall snapped out of it. "One of these guys just looks like somepony I... went to school with."

“Are you sure?” The Guard frowned, “We actually got this sketch from the guys over in Cairode, Haygypt. They really want to help us find this guy in particular.”

“You don’t say?” Marshall murmured, “This guy has to be a pretty bad one to catch the eye of ponies across the sea.”

“I wouldn’t know. Apparently, there’s some red tape or something goin’ on up there.” The Guard admitted, “Just be on your guard. I hear these guys are pretty well-trained.”

“Will do. Thank you for coming all the way out here.” Marshall nodded, “If I see any of these scumbags, I’ll give you a ring.”

“Thank you. You have a nice day, sheriff.” The Guard saluted with his wing, and then left the office, taking off into the sky.

Marshall went back inside his office, his face set in an impassive expression, as he gazed at Sterling’s poster, taking into his hoof.

“So… Sterling Cross… theft, blackmail, obstruction of justice... and now, suspected to be affiliated with a dangerous organization…” Marshall read. "Heh... ha-ha-ha.... HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!"

Marshall laughed madly, overjoyed at this revelation.

"HA-HA-HA!" Marshall chuckled. "I knew it! I knew I was right about that varmint! This is so perfect! Not only will I get payback for what he did to me and my sister, but I will be responsible for bringing one of Equestria’s most wanted in!” He sneered at the poster. "I've got you now, scum. Wait'll I tell Big Red and Cherry just who they've been giving shelter to-”

Suddenly, Marshall’s smile disappeared, as he came to a horrifying realization.

“Oh no…” Marshall set the poster on his desk, hoof to his head. “If I bring Sterling in, they'll know that Big Red and Cherry let him stay at their house… they’ll both be charged with harboring a fugitive and a terrorist!” He growled in frustration, “Dammit! I can’t do that to them! Not to my best friends! I gotta think of something…”

At that moment, Cherry walked into the jailhouse.

"Morning, Marshall." She smiled.

"Morning!" Marshall yelped, pushing the posters to one side. He quickly composed himself. "...Good morning, Cherry. What brings you here?"

"I, er... heard about Sterling and Shooting." Cherry said awkwardly.

"He told you?!" Marshall growled.

"Actually, no." Cherry admitted. "Red figured it from the way he was acting. I was worried you might not be taking it too well."

"How else would I take it?" Marshall scowled. "My sister and that... that... ugh!"

"Well, there are worse stallions out there..." Cherry declared.

'Wanna bet?' Marshall thought. "Not to me. He just rolled into town, and now he's charming my sister?"

"I will admit, we don't really know that much about him." Cherry frowned. "He never speaks of his past. And what little he does mention is... disconcerting."

"Exactly." Marshall scowled. "How can you trust somepony when you don't know anything about him?"

"Well... Red seems to trust him." Cherry declared. "And Red is usually spot on when it comes to reading a pony."

"Even Red can be wrong sometimes." Marshall retorted.

"I suppose." Cherry mused. "I really must head back, though. Red and the boys will be expecting lunch soon..."

“Yeah…see ya ‘round.” Marshall gave a small smile.

“...Are you doing okay?” Cherry frowned, “You seem… conflicted.”

“Oh, it’s nothing. Just got piled with more cases to tackle. More varmints to drag in.” Marshall shook his head, as he turned to the window in his office. “Some closer than we think...”

"I suppose some criminals find it easiers to hide than others." Cherry agreed. "Some could be just under hoof..."

Cherry looked at her own hoof to emphasize her point. She then noticed a piece of paper nearby, which Marshall had accidentally knocked off his desk when she entered. It seemed to be a wanted poster… but what caught her eyes was the fact that the picture was of Sterling .

'What the...?' She stared at it, horrified, as she picked it up. '...No… no way… Red has to see this!'

Without a word, Cherry rushed out of the office.

"Cherry, I... I need to tell you some-" Marshall turned around to confess, but saw that Cherry was gone. “Cherry?” He frowned, as he glanced at the door, “Huh, I guess she really needed to go.” He sighed, “No matter, I’ll just tell her later, after I figure out how to get her and Red out of this mess…” He glanced at the desk, “Now… where did I set Sterling’s poster?”

Cherry rushed back to the homestead as fast as she could. As she arrived, she found Big Red in the kitchen, drinking a glass of water.

"Red, there's something you need to see." She said nervously.

"What is it, darlin'?" Big Red asked, “Ya look like ya seen a ghost.”

“Look at this, Red.” Cherry held up the poster, “I found this in Marshall’s office a couple minutes ago.”

“What…?” Big Red glanced at the page, and frowned. “Oh. Oh, boy…”

"We let a wanted criminal into our home, Red!" Cherry declared. "A dangerous fiend! What are we going to do?"

"Well, Ah..." Big Red mumbled.

"He had us fooled, all this time." Cherry frowned. "We took him, and had no clue…"

“Um, that’s not-”

“Oh, Faust, Red, we could get into serious trouble for this!” Cherry fretted, “And what of the boys? They're in danger, all because we unknowingly let a criminal into our home! If it weren't for this poster, we'd still be blissfully unaware!”

"Actually, Ah... Already knew." Big Red confessed.

Cherry paused… as she gaped at Big Red.

“Y-you… what?” Cherry gasped.

“Ah knew…” Big Red repeated. “Ah knew who Sterling was. He’s one of them fellers that caused that ruckus up in Canterlot.”

“Wait, what? How?!” Cherry demanded.

“Well, while you and the boys were gettin’ to know Belle and Shade, Ah was taking a walk around the palace when Ah overhear Shine talking to that Shining fellow." Big Red revealed. "They were talkin' 'bout the ones who blew up part of Canterlot, and they brought up a pony named Sterling and how he ‘came back’ to these ‘Forefathers’ or something. When we first picked Sterling up, and Ah saw his face and heard his name… Ah just knew he wuz the same guy…” He grimaced at the poster. “And the poster kinda confirms it.

"...Then why didn't you say anything?!" Cherry growled.

“It’s kinda complicated.” Big Red rubbed his head, “Ah mean, I know Sterling ain't the best pony-”

“Not the best pony?!” Cherry scowled, “He was part of that awful attack on Canterlot! He's a terrorist!"

“Ah’m not denyin’ that. But it ain't that clear cut-” Big Red tried to soothe him.

"Oh, I knew there was something I didn't like about him." Cherry declared. "My mare's intuition was right on the money..." She glared fiercely at Red. "You knew what he was... and you were okay with having him here? In our home? On our sofa? Near our boys?"

“Now wait just a damn moment!” Big Red glared back, “If yer implyin’ that ah would purposely put mah boys in harm’s way, then yer dead wrong! Ah woulda broke Sterling in two if he even thought about it!”

“Then why?!” Cherry snarled, “Why have you been letting him stay here?!”

“Because ah stand by what I said to you when he came here!” Big Red declared firmly, “Ah believe he’s a good pony. He’s not perfect, and he’s very rough ‘round the edges… but he’s nothing like the bad pony ya makin’ him out to be!”

"I'm not the one making him out to be anything." Cherry pointed to the poster. "The kind of pony he is is right there, in black and white!"

"Darlin', please, think about it for a moment." Big Red urged. "He's bin here how long? Half a month? An' he ain't caused no trouble at all. He stayed in line the entire time. In fact, he stepped up a bit at times! Do ya think if Sterling really wanted tah do away with us, that he would had done it already? That should prove that he’s on the level!”

"Or that he's just biding his time." Cherry growled.

"'Course not." Big Red declared. "He said it himself: He jest wants enough money tah get outta here. An’ considerin’ he ain't jest robbed us blind, Ah'd take that as a good sign of faith!"

“And what exactly will happen if we just let him go?” Cherry challenged, “You know what this ‘organization’ of his has done already, right? If we just let him go free, we are putting lives at stake.”

"Like Ah said, he's done nuthin' illegal since he came here." Big Red repeated, a bit annoyed, “An' that includes not layin' a hoof on the boys. In case ya've forgotten, Ah’m a great judge of character, and I can tell ya that Sterling is nuthin’ like those Fore-fellers or whatever their name is."

Cherry was silent for a moment.

“...Well, then, that’s your opinion.” She said flatly, “...Where is he right now?”

“The west orchard, workin'.” Big Red frowned, “...What are you going to do?”

“As of now? Just a talk. I don’t know how it will go, but if I’m not back within the hour, get Marshall.” Cherry retorted.

“Cherry…” Big Red began, noting the fierceness in her eyes, “...Just… don’t do anythin’ hasty.”

“...We’ll see.” Cherry scoffed.

Cherry marched out of the homestead, and made her way to the west orchard. She found Sterling bucking a mid-sized tree.

"Hello, Sterling." She announced her presence.

"Oh, Cherry." Sterling’s eyebrows perked, stopping mid-buck, "What brings you out here? Is it lunch time already?"

“No, not yet.” Cherry shook her head, “I just wanted to talk with you.”

“Really?” Sterling frowned, “Lemme guess… about what happened between me and Shooting Star?”

“No, not exactly.” Cherry declared, “...Although you should know that Marshall was still pretty livid when I visited him earlier.”

“Well, in my defense, I didn’t initially come to his house for a booty call.” Sterling huffed, “I just wanted to talk to Shooting.”

“You don’t say?” Cherry asked, “And what exactly did you and Shooting talk about?”

“Oh…” Sterling’s eyes shifted, “Just stuff. Shooting’s a pretty good listener like that.”

“That she is.” Cherry admitted, “...So… did this stuff happen to have anything to do with your ‘past’ by any chance?”

Sterling glanced at Cherry, befuddled at such an odd and random question.

“...Um, no.” Sterling declared, “And please don’t take this the wrong way, but it was one of those private conversations. I'd rather that you don’t pry.”

“Now, there’s no need to be defensive, Sterling.” Cherry said firmly, “Like you said, you two only talked about ‘stuff’. What could be so personal about that?”

“Look, it’s complicated, okay?” Sterling huffed, “I don’t really have time right now to explain.”

“Really? I think you can make time right now.” Cherry growled, as she held up the wanted poster.

It took Sterling a moment to comprehend what Cherry was showing him… but as soon as he saw a sketch of his face, right there on the poster, he knew that everything was about to get more complicated.

“Ohhhh, buck.” Sterling murmured.

“That’s right, I now know who you are.” Cherry growled, “Sterling Cross. Traitor. Terrorist. Murderer.”

“Where did you get that?!” Sterling demanded, “Who else saw it?!”

“I got it from Marshall’s office.” Cherry revealed, “As to who saw it and who knows you for the pony you truly are, I do not care.”

“Oh, buck me, I knew this was coming.” Sterling fretted, rubbing his mane, “But I was hoping it wouldn’t come this soon."

“Well, it has, and honestly, I’m not the least bit happy.” Cherry admitted, hate deep in her voice.

“Look, Cherry, just let me explain…” Sterling frowned.

“No, I don’t want to hear any of your lies!” Cherry snarled, “I got everything I need to know right here.”

Sterling’s frown soon turned to a scowl.

“I know you were a part of that attack on Canterlot. And I know you are a traitor to this country. That you’re nothing-”

“Oh, for buck’s sake, are you really going to be that petty?” Sterling growled.

“I beg your pardon?!” Cherry gasped in appallment.

“I know what you are going to say.” Sterling spat, “‘You are nothing, but a vile thug. A criminal. A monster.’ Does that sound about right?”

“Well, I... I...” Cherry stammered. She paused, taking a small breath, then glared at him. “It doesn’t matter. That is the truth, isn’t it?”

“Doesn’t really matter what I say.” Sterling scoffed, “You already made your mind up about me the moment I got into your carriage that day in the desert. Hell, if it weren’t for Big Red, you would've left me in that desert to die. Wouldn’t you?”

“Don’t you dare turn this around on me, Sterling.” Cherry growled, “Besides, I ended up being right about you all along.”

“Oh, give the southern belle cliche a round of applause, ponies.” Sterling announced, sarcastically clapping his hooves together, “She was right to hate a pony she barely knew! Three cheers to Cherry Jubilee!”

“Stop mocking me!” Cherry seethed, “Faust, it’s no wonder Marshall thought you were bad news!”

“Well, news flash, lady, you’re no better than him.” Sterling grumbled. “You both don’t know me, yet you were quick to think that I’m some psychopath or something.”

"The evidence doesn't lie." Cherry retorted.

"But it doesn't tell the whole story." Sterling growled.

"I know enough to know you're the kind of pony who shouldn't be anywhere near this family." Cherry seethed.

"I never intended to cause you any trouble." Sterling insisted.

"You used us to hide from the law!" Cherry yelled.

“Oh, please.” Sterling scowled, “In case you forgotten, Big Red offered to let me stay at your stead. Had it been up to me, I would had skipped town days ago…” He then frowned, “...But I knew I couldn’t get far without any money. That’s why I wanted to work for Big Red.”

“Yet, here you are, still living in our house.” Cherry frowned, “And been hanging around my boys-”

“Oh, sure!” Sterling chuckled snidely, his expression showing great agitation, “Not only am I a ‘monster’, but now you gonna accuse me of hurting children?!”

“If the horseshoe fit, yes.” Cherry huffed.

“I may be a murderer and yes, a terrorist, but I would not hurt those kids. Even if one of them is as judgemental as you!” Sterling snarled.

“Oh, and I’m supposed to take your word for it? For all I know, every word you say is a lie.” Cherry scowled.

“The same could be said for anypony.” Sterling shook his head. “But I thought maybe I deserved a little benefit of the doubt, considering I’ve done nothing to you or anypony the whole time I was here.”

“What? Because you were some ‘model citizen’, that should absolve you of your crimes?” Cherry asked, “Well, you’re sorely mistaken.”

“Aw, nuts, all that time trying to be a nice houseguest for you was all for nothing.” Sterling sneered, “I was even thinking of sending you flowers.”

“Enough of this!” Cherry stomped her hoof, “I don’t care who you think you are, but I will not tolerate being disrespected by… what’s their name…” She lit up in anger, “That’s right, a Forefather!”

Ex-Forefather.” Sterling corrected firmly.

“...I beg your pardon?” Cherry frowned.

“You think you may have me all figured out, but you don’t.” Sterling glared, “As of a few weeks ago, I’m no longer affiliated with the Forefathers. In fact, I left right in the middle of Titanfall, and for your information, I murdered no one in that time.”

“And you honestly expect me to buy that?” Cherry challenged.

“You? Of course not. You seem set in your way.” Sterling scoffed, “And honestly, I can’t blame you.” He let out a sigh, shaking his head, “I won’t lie, I’ve done horrible things. Unforgivable things. Things I can’t take back. But I’m putting a stop to that.” He glanced at Cherry, “All I want to do is get away from Equestria as far as equinely possible. So I can wipe the slate clean and start fresh wherever I end up.”

"So you say." Cherry frowned. "But you're still wanted for the crimes you've committed. As long as you keep running from the law, you'll be nothing but a cow-”

Sterling punched a nearby tree as hard as he could, stopping Cherry in her tracks.

“Fair warning, Cherry. You can call me many things… but you don’t get to call me that.” Sterling snarled, “I've already been locked up twice in my life, and I’m not going back a third time.”

“Well, if you ask me, I have every sense to call Marshall over here and take you in.” Cherry grunted.

“If you do that, then I’m gone.” Sterling rebutted, “Money or no money, I’m not going to stick around to be taken by that asshole of a sheriff. The guy was out to get me the moment I met him.”

"Turns out Marshall's more intuitive than I gave him credit for." Cherry declared.

“...So, what is it going to be?” Sterling asked, “Should I start walking now?”

“...No.” Cherry shook her head, “I won’t tell anypony."

“...Really?” Sterling raised a brow suspiciously, “...Not that I’m complaining, but why?”

“I don’t know.” Cherry sighed, “But Red seems to think that you are a good pony, and as much as I loathe the thought of us harboring a terrorist… Red’s heart was always in the right place, and if he’s okay with a criminal scum like you staying here… he has to be onto something.”

“...Hold on, Big Red knows who I am?” Sterling asked.

“Yes… actually, he knew the whole time who you were.” Cherry frowned, “I just found that out myself.”

“Huh… that husband of yours is a lot smarter than I give him credits for.” Sterling admitted.

“Make no mistake, Sterling.” Cherry said harshly, “Just because I’m siding with my husband and letting you stay, doesn’t change a thing. As far as I am concerned, you are a criminal, and the moment you get the money you need to get where you’re going, I want you gone. And I don’t want to ever see you around these parts again… am I clear?”

“Ma’am… you won’t, that’s a promise.” Sterling glared.

“Good.” Cherry nodded, “Don’t make me regret it. Now if you excuse me, I've got lunch to prepare.”

"You do that." Sterling nodded flatly. "I'll be in once I've earned my keep."

"Good." Cherry retorted, not even looking back as she left.

Barely acknowleding Cherry's departure, Sterling kicked the tree with more force than was necessary.

Cherry made her way back to the homestead. Big Red was waiting anxiously in the kitchen.

"So... How did it go?" He asked. "Ya weren't too hard on 'im, were ya?"

"I could have been a lot harder on him." Cherry said coldly.

"So... Ya gonna let 'im stay?" Big Red said hopefully.

"Only until he has enough money to leave." Cherry growled. "And the sooner, the better, I say."

"That's right good a' ya, darlin'." Big Red smiled.

"Don't push it, Red." Cherry frowned. "I'm still not happy that you knew Sterling was a criminal and didn't tell me."

"I didn't wanna worry ya." Big Red admitted, “Ya were already on edge about bringin' him here. Ah hoped to tell ya when and if Sterling warmed up to ya.”

“Well, clearly, that didn’t work out.” Cherry glared at him.

“Cherry, Ah…” Big Red began.

Just then, there was a knock at the door.

"Oh, what now?" Cherry groaned. She rushed back to the front door, opening it to find Marshall. "Marshall? What are you doing here?"

"Please don't play games, Cherry." Marshall frowned. "I know you have the poster.”

“You mean Sterling’s wanted poster?” Cherry asked.

“Exactly.” Marshall nodded, “I take it you were just as surprised as I was when you saw it?”

“Surprised is putting it mildly.” Cherry huffed, “I didn’t mean to take it, but when I saw it, I knew I had to show Red.”

“So, that’s mean we’re all in the know now.” Marshall smiled grimly.

"Actually, Red already knew." Cherry revealed.

“...Say what?” Marshall gasped, “Since when?!”

"Since we took him in, apparently." Cherry deadpanned.

"Who is it, darlin'?" Big Red walked over.

"It's me, Red." Marshall declared, still in shock.

"Oh." Big Red frowned. "Ah'm guessin' yer here tah talk about Sterling?"

“Yeah…” Marshall nodded awkwardly, “Am I hearin’ Cherry right? You seriously knew who Sterling was all this time, yet you let him stay here, leaving me and Cherry clueless?”

“That’s right, Ah did.” Big Red admitted.

“...What the hell is wrong with you?!” Marshall snarled, “How can you do something so stupid and careless?!”

“Because it was the right thing to do.” Big Red frowned, “Because Ah know that Sterling ain’t sum monster. He’s just a pony, like you and me!”

“A pony who is a wanted felon and a terrorist!” Marshall growled, “Look, I know you were trying to be nice and all, but as Sheriff, I have to bring that son of a draft horse in!”

“But where will that leave us?” Cherry asked, worry in her voice, “Whether we knew or not, we were harboring him.”

“Don’t ya worry, Cherry, I got it all figured out.” Marshall smiled, “It’s called ‘plausible deniability’. Just claim that you had no idea who he was the whole time, and you’ll get off scot-free. And Sterling will be out of our manes, lickety-”

"...No." Big Red declared.

"What?" Marshall frowned.

"Ah won't do it." Big Red said firmly. "Ah won't throw Sterling tah the Timberwolves. And an won't let you do it either. Ya'll haveta arrest me first!"

"Red!" Cherry gasped.

"You can't be serious!" Marshall scowled.

“Ah am.” Big Red said firmly, “Besides, that 'pawsible dinnability' can’t work for me. Ah knew who he was the entire time.”

“Red, ponies aren’t gonna ask whether you knew him your whole life or not.” Marshall huffed, “Normally I wouldn’t encourage fibbing to authorities, but considerin’ you’re both my friends, I'll make this one exception.”

“An’ Ah appreciate that, Marshall, but Ah still ain’t doin’ it.” Big Red frowned.

“Oh, come on, Red!” Marshall yelled.

“I’m sorry, but Sterling’s mah friend!” Big Red glared, “And Ah defend mah friends tah the end. Ah’d do the same for you and Cherry!”

"Red, think about you're saying!" Cherry urged. "If you get arrested for defending Sterling, you'll be branded a traitor! You'll be locked away for years! Away from me! From the boys! Is that really what you want?"

“Of course it ain’t what I want!” Big Red frowned, “But I also don’t want Sterling to be carted away as well!”

“Are you even listening to yourself, Red?!” Marshall snapped, “You only knew this guy for half a month, and whatever you think you know about him is probably a lie. You’re honestly going to throw your life away for this piece of crap?!”

"If that's the way it's gotta be, then so be it." Big Red declared.

“But Red-” Marshall started.

At that moment, Sterling entered the house through the back.

"Big Red, Cherry, we need to talk." He started. "I-"

He stopped as he spotted Marshall, as they all glanced at him.

"Oh, for buck’s sake..." Sterling growled. “I should've known you’d be coming here soon enough.”

"You figured right." Marshall growled. "I always knew there was something rotten about you, but working for those Forefathers creeps? I never imagined you'd be that kind of scum!"

"I guess I should take that as a compliment." Sterling said flippantly, “Not like it’s much worse than what you thought of me before, you fat-headed clown officer.”

“Sterling!” Cherry hissed.

“What? I figure since we’re all caught up right now, there’s no more need for pleasantries.” Sterling scoffed, “After all, he’s been nothing but a pain in my ass the whole time I was here!”

“Because I wasn’t fooled by your lies!” Marshall snarled, “I knew you were bad news the moment I laid my eyes on you, and now, I have proof. I’m putting you under arrest, Sterling Cross.”

“Just try it, Marshall.” Sterling saidd fiercely, “But I already know how it’s going to end: with you on the ground, and me out that door. So unless you want to be humiliated for the second time, I would back off.”

"I had my guard down before." Marshall claimed. "Now that I know what kind of filth you really, I won't hold back."

"Ooh, I'm shaking." Sterling smirked.

"You should be!" Marshall snarled.

“That’s enough, both of y’all!” Big Red roared, “Nopony bein’ arrested, and nopony's leavin’! And there sure as hell ain’t goin’ to be a brawl in mah house!”

“I have to do my job, Red!” Marshall growled, “Sterling must answer for what he did!”

"And Ah already told ya, Marshall." Big Red frowned. "Ya can't arrest Sterling without arrestin' me!"

"Red, you don't have to-" Sterling started.

"Yes, Ah do." Big Red retorted. "As long as ya live under this roof, yer part of the family. An' Ah'll protect ya as such."

"Red..." Sterling whispered, touched.

"So what's it gonna be, Marshall?" Big Red asked. "Ya gonna arrest me too? Cuz that's the only way yer gonna get tah Sterling."

Marshall stood in place, gritting his teeth with indecision.

"...Okay, Red." He seethed. "You win. I'll back off... for now."

"Glad tah hear it." Big Red nodded triumphantly.

"This isn't over, Sterling." Marshall glared. "You won't be able to hide behind Red forever. I'll get you sooner or later."

"We'll see." Sterling said coldly, “You know where I’ll be.”

Marshall stormed out of the house, slamming the door behind. Then it was just Sterling, Big Red, and Cherry. Despite the anger he held towards Marshall, he felt a tinge of regret for bringing all this drama upon them.

"Look, I never meant-" He started.

"I hope you know what you're doing, Red." Cherry declared, as if Sterling wasn't even there. "I really do..."

Cherry walked back into the kitchen, leaving Sterling and Big Red alone.

"Red, I... appreciate what you did for me." Sterling declared.

"Like Ah said, Ah'd do that fer anypony who lives here." Big Red stated.

“...So, you knew who I was all along, huh?” Sterling frowned.

“Yep. That’s right.” Big Red nodded.

“And you still let me stay here, even though you knew what I am and what I did?” Sterling asked.

“Uh-huh.” Big Red nodded once more, “Just ‘cuz ya’re one of them Fore-fellers, doesn’t make ya a bad pony or sumthin’.”

“Look, you should know that I’m not a Forefather.” Sterling insisted, “Not anymore…”

“Ah figgered on that.” Big Red shrugged, “But Ah might not want to tell the boys. This ain’t something for them to get mixed up in.”

“Yeah, that’s a good call.” Sterling admitted, “...I’m sorry I didn’t say anything. I thought I couldn’t risk it.”

“Look, it’s no biggie.” Big Red shook his head, “Ah knew ya would come clean eventually. Ah only wish Cherry and Marshall hadn’t found out this way.”

“With all due respect, I doubt it would had made any differences.” Sterling scoffed, “You had to admit, those two had it out for me.”

“Well, ya didn’t exactly make a good first impression on either of them.” Big Red pointed out, a bit annoyed, “Marshall's a good guy, so long as ponies respect his position, and Cherry... well, one of the reasons Ah married her is because she's one of the sweetest mares around...”

“...And yet, you sided with me.” Sterling frowned, “I gotta say… I don’t get why you did that. After all, what they say about me is sorta right… I am a criminal, and she’s your wife, and he’s your best friend.”

“To be honest, Ah don’t know why either.” Big Red shook his head, “But Ah stand by mah convictions and the belief a life can change. Come hell or high water…”

There was something in Big Red's voice that Sterling was unnerved by. He wasn’t sure what it was, but he was certain it could be a couple of things: regret, impatience, and that feeling that he might have made a big mistake. All of which he could only assume is directed at him.

’Well, I should’ve known this would happen.’ Sterling thought, ’When things are going good, something bad always has to come along to ruin it… and now, I got a good stallion sticking his neck out for a bad pony like me…’ He sighed, ’I just have to make sure this doesn't end as badly as it did the last time...’

Many years ago...

It had been a long and arduous fortnight since Jetstream’s betrayal and subsequent death. Sterling had spent most of it in his quarters, grieving his fallen former friend and mentor, his mind racing with all that had happened leading up to it. He was only visited a few times, with Loveless checking in on him, and surprisingly Ignite, who had stopped by to give him food and drinks. The chef seemed to have been doing quite well, the restoration of his sight reigniting his spirit and vigor in doing his job.

Another odd visitor he'd had was some tailor, who had been sent by Father himself to take measurements so h could make Sterling his own set of ceremonial robes and a mask, for his eventual ordainment as Ouroboros, when it was time.

And now, that time had come: one morning, Sterling donned the robes and mask for the first time. The robes were of a bright silver, with trims of gold, while the mask was a clean platinum, shaped to be like a dragon’s snout, with ‘fangs’ down the side of his lower jaw.

Sterling took a moment to admire himself in the mirror of his room.

’Well, Sterling… you made it.’ Sterling sighed, ’It took you four years and killing your mentor to do it, but now you’re one of them… an Ouroboros…’

Suddenly, there was a knocking on his door.

“Come in!” Sterling declared.

The door opened, as Loveless rolled into the room, already donning his robes, his mask on his lap.

“Oh-ho, look at you, Sterling…” Loveless grinned, as he joined Sterling’s side at the mirror, “Four years ago, you were just starting out as a rookie agent, and now, here you are, a full-fledged Ouroboros. And you are definitely pulling off the look. Silver and gold looks fine on you.”

“Thanks, Loveless.” Sterling smiled weakly under his mask… as he then began scratching his back, “...I only wish these robes weren’t so itchy.”

“Oh, yeah, that’s burlap for you.” Loveless shrugged, “Believe me, I swore I was going to break out into hives the first time I put mine on.”

“And the fact these robes are kinda long.” Sterling grimaced, “I nearly tripped on them twice this morning.”

“Try moving around with wheels.” Loveless snorted, “My robes kept getting caught in my spokes.”

“And as much as I'm digging the mask, it’s hard to see out of.” Sterling frowned, squinting through said mask.

“Why you think I haven’t put mine on yet?” Loveless asked, “I swear, I nearly wheeled right off the side of this mountain because I was wearing my mask.”

“Huh... why do we wear these anyways?” Sterling questioned, “I mean, we all know who we are in the Coils, aside from Doc and Father.”

“Eh, it’s simply for appearance.” Loveless admitted, “Like wearing a suit to a business meeting.”

“Well, considering I never really had a job before being thrown in juvie and meeting you guys, I wouldn’t know how that feels.” Sterling shook his head.

“...Are you nervous?” Loveless asked.

“Well, maybe a little bit.” Sterling nodded, “I mean, I never really expected to become an Ouroboros, at least not for a couple more years. But with Jetstream and everything…”

“I get it, Sterling.” Loveless smiled, “I understand how you feel. When I was just starting out here, I wasn’t even looking for a raise. But then, I make a heavily-armed airship, with extensive armor, high speed and aerial agility, ponies talk, and before I knew it, I was seated at the Coils. I was still trying to process what happened during my first meeting.”

“...Somehow, that doesn’t make me feel any better about this.” Sterling cringed.

"Don't worry." Loveless declared. "That feeling will fade with time. Trust me."

"I do trust you." Sterling nodded. "After Jetstream... Well, let's just say you're my closest friend.”

“Thank you, Sterling.” Loveless smiled, “And make no mistake, if Jetstream was still here, he would be proud of you.”

“...Yeah, if he was…” Sterling murmured.

Quickly, Loveless sensed his dour mood.

“So, enough about that.” Loveless changed the subject, “Shall we make our way to the Coils?”

“Yeah, let’s get going.” Sterling declared, shaking any sad thoughts from his head.

The two of them made their way up to the Coils. Sterling, as an official Ouroboros, could now open the passageway with his own hoof.

“Welcome back: ‘Sterling Cross’.” The statue announced.

“Huh, you guys wasted no time.” Sterling mused, pulling back his hoof, “How did you get the statue to recognize my hoof print so quickly?”

“That’s the thing about us inventors.” Loveless smirked, “We’re given something to do, and we get it done lickety-split. Helps that you know coding and wiring.”

"I'll bet." Sterling smirked. "Shall we?"

"We shall." Loveless nodded.

As they walked into the Coils, they were met by the sound of pipe organ music.

"Where's that coming from?" Sterling asked.

"That would be me!"

Sterling turned in the direction of the voice, and saw Baritone seated at a large pipe organ.

"Baritone?" Sterling mused. "What are you doing here?"

"I thought I recognized your voice, Sterling." Baritone smiled. "Suffice to say, you're not the only one who got a raise. I got this great new gig playing the organ!"

“You don’t say?” Sterling asked, “Not that I am not happy for you, but why here?”

“Background music. According to Father, the Coils have been too quiet.” Baritone explained, “And given that my troupe is dead, I figure this is the best gig I’m going to get.”

“And you are doing a great job.” Loveless complimented, “The place could use a little music.”

“Yeah.” Sterling agreed, “Congratulations.”

“Thank you, my friend.” Baritone grinned, “And I hope you have a good first meeting.”

Sterling and Loveless took their place at the Ouroboros, with Sterling’s spot being inbetween Ricochet and Loveless.

"Hey, pal." Ricochet grinned. "Good to see ya in the official threads. You look sick in silver and gold."

"Thanks." Sterling smiled under his mask.

"Welcome to the meeting, Sterling." Harlhooves said curtly, “Good to see you out and about, all things considered.”

“Ya got that right. I was wondering when you would show up.” Gridlock grumbled, “Finally got done cryin’ your pansy tears over that turncoat piece of garbage?”

Sterling stifled a growl.

“Oh, come on, man, let’s not do this now.” Ricochet growled, “The guy lost his teacher.”

“Oh, cry me a buckin’ river.” Solomon scoffed, “Jetstream was on his way out. And I say good riddance to worthless ponies.”

“Real nice, Lightning.” Ricochet huffed. “Jetstream may have been a deceptive, double-crossing, backstabbing traitor… but he was still one of us. I mean, we haven’t seen Doc for months since Dysley passed, right?”

“Thanks for bringing that up, Ricochet.” Doc deadpanned, before shaking his head. “But Ricochet does have a point. We cannot blame Sterling for missing Jetstream.”

"I think you'll find we can." Nalik snorted. "If you ask me, we didn’t exactly win the lottery. I mean, a good for nothing mudpony like Sterling isn’t much of an improvement over that sack of pigeon droppings.”

“Okay, that is enough.” Loveless glared. “Whatever happened with Jetstream is now in the past. So, let’s just leave it there, okay?”

"My thoughts exactly, Loveless."

Everypony went silent as Father suddenly appeared before them, seated in his chair.

“Good morn to you all.” Father greeted, “I know that some of us are still sore about what transpired a fortnight ago. And while ‘some of you’ are entitled to vent about certain ponies, we must remember that ‘the past is in the past’. There is no point in bringing up matters that had been resolved, at least not in these Coils. Are we in agreement?”

"Yes, Father." The Ouroboros chorused, though Gridlock, Nalik and Harlhooves did so last enthusiastically.

“Good.” Father nodded, as he turned to face Sterling. “Ah, Sterling, it is good to finally see you here in Ouroboros regalia. I must admit, I wasn’t expecting you for another couple of weeks. I know that dealing with the loss of someone you care about had left some ponies in grievance for several months on end.”

“Well, with all due respect, I’m not ‘some ponies’.” Sterling declared firmly, “I’ve done my grieving, and I’m just itchin’ to get back into things.”

“That is what I like to hear.” Father smiled, “Since this is your first meeting, do not hesitate to ask questions.”

“Thank you, sir.” Sterling nodded.

“Now then, let’s bring this meeting into order.” Father declared, as he faced all the Ouroboros, “To begin, let us discuss the progression of projects.” He turned to Doc, “Doc, what is the status of Project: Bad Dreams? Any complications?”

“No, things had been progressing smoothly.” Doc replied. “Our test subject is coming along nicely. She really is surpassing our expctations."

"Excellent." Father nodded. "Harlhooves, Gridlock, how is Project: Infestation version 1.5?”

“One point five?” Sterling frowned in confusion.

“Well, we've finally entered the beta phase of developing the new virus.” Harlhooves declared, “Unfortunately, we had been experiencing delays due to problems with one of our chemical suppliers.”

“Yeah. But rest assured, I intend to go down there and straighten them out.” Gridlock snarled, cracking his hooves.

“Do be careful, Gridlock.” Father warned, “Lest we forget what happened the last time you had to straighten a supplier out.”

“Don’t you worry, sir.” Halrhooves soothed, as he cast a sideways glare at Gridlock, “I’ll be there with him to assure he doesn’t go overboard again.”

“I swear, it was one time. And that weasel was asking for it.” Gridlock growled.

“How about you, Nalik?” Father turned to the prince, “How fares the translations of the glyphs you found in those ruins?”

“Not good.” Nalik grumbled, “I had to fire yet another translator from the project.”

“Again? What is this, the fifth one?” Doc frowned.

“Hey, it’s not my fault!” Nalik defended, “This one wouldn’t stop translating in rhymes! If I wanted to be inconvenienced by stripe-skins, I would cover myself in feces and catch malaria over in Zebrica.”

“You should know, Nalik, that you are running out of translators to hire onto Project: Transcendence.” Father frowned, “Not many ponies in this organization is knowledgeable in ancient glyphs. And considering you already hired all the unicorns who do know ancient text, you will have to outsource… and that will be coming out of your own coffers.”

“If that what it comes down to, so be it.” Nalik grunted, “Once Transcendence had reached it’s goal, money, among other things, will be the least of my concerns.”

“You know, I never thought to ask this before.” Sterling spoke up, as the other Ouroboros glanced at him, “But what are these ‘Projects’ you guys keep going on about?”

“Well, to put simply, Sterling.” Father explained, “A ‘Project’, as many Ouroboros before have come to call them, is a personal mission or goal that a Ouroboros has decided to pursue, with the aid of the Forefathers, with the ultimate intent of serving our cause.”

“Indeed.” Harlhooves agreed, “Every Ouroboros is obligated to devise one, or at least pair up with somepony who has already begun theirs.”

“Yeah, and you get to do whatever you want, as long as it helps the cause.” Ricochet smirked, “Just because it’s called a ‘Project’, doesn’t mean it can’t be fun.”

“Oh, please, your ‘Project’ can hardly be considered one.” Solomon scoffed. “All it is is a over-glorified recruitment drive.”

“Hey, I have you know, Project: ‘Party Over Here!’ happens to be the most successful project known to Forefathers’ history!” Ricochet glared.

“Speaking of which, how is your endeavors, Ricochet?” Father asked.

“Oh, it’s been fine. Couple of Minotaurs said 'yes', some Griffons and Diamond Dogs said 'maybe'. And I’m still waiting for that one dragon lady from Fillydelphia to get back to me.” Ricochet explained.

“I still don’t get why you want to recruit that little lizard.” Nalik growled.

“The way I see it, if we can get a little dragon on our team, then we got one hoof in towards recruiting a BIG dragon. How sick would that be?” Ricochet smirked.

“...Okay, that does sound very ‘sick’.” Gridlock agreed.

“More like a waste of time.” Solomon rolled his eyes, crossing his hooves.

“And how is your project coming along, Solomon?” Father asked suddenly.

“...I’m… still working on the planning, sir.” Solomon admitted.

“Do take your time, Solomon.” Father smiled as he turns to Sterling. “The same goes to you Sterling. There is no need to think of an idea on a spot. Just bide your time and wait for the right idea to come to your mind.”

“...Um, thank you, sir.” Sterling nodded.

“Now then.” Father returned his gaze to all the Ouroboros, as suddenly, a stack of files materialized before him, “Here are a list of missions for today.”

“Huh, so Ouroboros gets missions straight from Father?” Sterling mused.

“Well, these are missions that cannot be entrusted to any agents, Sterling.” Loveless explained, “There are tasks that needs to be headed by only the best of the best… and that’s us.”

“Or, at least they should be.” Solomon sneered, prompting a scoff from Sterling.

The files, levitated by some sort of magic, are passed all around the table. Sterling was quick to notice that none has been passed to him or Loveless.

“What the…” Sterilng murmured.

The other Ouroboros opened their files.

"Ah, another trip to the Senate." Harlhooves mused. "That's par for the course..."

"Boring, you mean." Gridlock snorted. "Working another lousy bill. Doesn't matter how important it is, it's still tedious."

"Speaking of tedious..." Solomon frowned. "I have to go to that sweltering desert to spearhead a search for an ancient magical artefact."

"Sweet!" Ricochet cheered. "Off to Las Pegasus to pick up the local take... Then a quick pitstop at the casino before I go..."

“Oh, for Faust’s sake, Minostan again?” Nalik moaned, “I just finished washing the stench of cow and bull from my mane! Why am I going back?!”

"Because you failed your last mission due to your own petty racism." Father said sternly. "Consider this your chance to redeem yourself."

"I... I didn't do anything that demands redemption!" Nalik insisted indignantly.

“And do try not to tick off any minotaurs this time.” Doc grimaced, “My assignment is to patch up all the ponies who got hurt because you couldn’t keep your mouth shut.”

Nalik let out a small growl.

"Alright, that's enough." Father declared. "You have your assignments. Meeting adjourned."

The Ouroboros obediantly filed out of the room, except for Sterling and Loveless.

“Um, excuse me, sir.” Sterling approached Father, “I couldn’t help but notice that you gave everypony missions except me and Loveless. Is everything alright?”

“Oh, everything is fine, Sterling.” Father explained, “The reason you did not receive an assignment now is because I have something else in mind for you.”

“Really? Like what?” Sterling asked.

“You see, Sterling, our fallen friend Jetstream, Faust rest his soul, have left this organization in quite a disarray. While Jetstream had sabotaged many missions since your excursion to Brayzil, he has left several other missions that was assigned to him unfinished.”

"Ooh... sorry about that." Sterling said awkwardly.

"There is no need to apologize." Father said softly. "You did your duty… however, as it stands, somepony still needs to take care of them. Considering you are now assuming Jetstream’s place at the Coils, and the friendship you two once shared, it seems only right that you would be the one to take on the missions. Unless you object?”

“Oh, no.” Sterling shook his head, “It’s the least I can do.”

“Excellent.” Father declared, “Now, while many of the missions Jetstream left unfinished aren’t very demanding, there is one mission that demands immediate action. You see, earlier this month, Jetstream was tasked with recovering an ancient scroll from the private collection of Minotaur millionaire Heavy Handed. That scroll denotes an ancient ritual that may be of use to us. However, Heavy Handed intends to have the scroll transferred to a secret location, placing it out of our reach.”

“Okay, that sounds simple enough.” Sterling nodded, “So, when does he make the move?”

“Tomorrow evening.” Father explained.

“Alright, maybe not so simple.” Sterling blanched, “Eesh, talk about leaving it till the last minute.”

“I agree. As it stands, tomorrow is our only window of opportunity.” Father declared, “Otherwise, we might never see that scroll again.”

"Then I shall recover the scroll, no matter what" Sterling said firmly.

"Be cautious, though." Father added. "Our intel tells us that there are others with their eyes on the scroll. Although they only seek it for sale in the black market, they will no doubt put their all into taking it, regardless of who or what gets in their way."

"Rest assured, sir." Sterling gave a cocky grin. "I won't let anything or anypony stand in my way."

"Just what I wanted to hear." Father smiled. "But you won't be going on this mission alone. As it turns out, Jetstream was meant to take on this mission with Loveless… so, you will be tackling this mission with him."

"Really?" Sterling asked.

"Yes, really." Loveless smiled, as he wheeled forth. "I was wondering when we were going to take care of this."

"Great!" Sterling grinned, elated at the thought of a mission with his mentor.

“Now then, you two should go forth and prepare for the mission.” Father declared, “Since you are now a Ouroboros, you are now welcome to use the upper training facilities. It is important more than ever that you persist in your training.”

“I was actually planning on going there with Sterling with right now.” Loveless explained, as he turned to Sterling, “Think you are up for that?”

“Oh, you bet I’m up for that.” Sterling grinned.

“Then let’s get cracking.” Loveless chuckled.

After a brief stop to remove their robes and masks, Loveless brought Sterling to the Ouroboros' private training areas. Sterling recalled having been here once with Solomon to ask Gridlock to join in on the attack on Black Knight all those years ago, but now, he had the chance to take in the area: it was twice the size of the agent's gym, with more advanced equipment, such as treadmills and step machines. And there were cabinets filled to brim with weapons, presumably for armed combat.

“Wow… this place looks nice.” Sterling mused, as he glanced at Loveless, “So… what will we be doing today?”

“It’s simple, my boy.” Loveless wheeled a few feet as he turned to face him, “We are going to pick up where Jetstream left off.”

“Wait… you’re telling me that you’re gonna be my combat teacher?” Sterling frowned.

“That’s right.” Loveless nodded, before noting the incredulous look on his face, “What’s the problem, I’ve been teaching you before.”

“Yeah, like stealth, basic mechanical work, and strategy.” Sterling clarified, “But I figured Jetstream was teaching me how to fight because he had… you know.”

“Back hooves?” Loveless deadpanned.

“I was going to say more battling experience, but that too.” Sterling cringed, “Sorry.”

“No need to apologize.” Loveless said firmly, “Do not forget, I have been a member of this organization long before Jetstream’s time. I know my way around a fight, trust me. Now…” Loveless spread his front hooves, “I want you to hit me!”

“...Um, what?” Sterling gaped.

“You heard me. Hit me.” Loveless re[eated.

“Whoa, I get that we’re training and all…” Sterling rubbed his head, “But you’re in a wheelchair. Hitting ponies in wheelchairs doesn’t really sit right with me.”

"Hey, I may be wheelchair-bound, but I am no invalid." Loveless frowned. "Now, as your teacher, I'm telling you to hit me!"

"Okay..." Sterling said awkwardly.

Sterling approached Loveless gingerly, as he threw his right hoof lightly, nudging Loveless.

“For Faust’s sake, like you mean it, Sterling!” Loveless groaned in frustration, “Hit me like somepony just called you a yellow-bellied coward to your-”

Suddenly, as if by instinct, Sterling threw a vicious left hook, slamming into Loveless’s chest, causing him to roll back a good couple of feet.

“Whoa.” Loveless hissed at the pain in his chest, as he glanced at his student, noting the cold glare in his face… before it faded away into panic.

“Holy crap, Loveless, I am so sorry!” Sterling apologized, running towards him, “I didn’t mean-”

“No, it’s fine. Ya just took me by surprise.” Loveless rubbed his chest, “You really don’t like that word, do you?”

“...Yeah.” Sterling admitted, fraught with guilt, “It’s just… there’s a lot of bad memories coming from that word.”

“Okay, good to know.” Loveless nodded, “But still, that was one hell of a punch. Now I want ya to do that again.”

“Seriously?” Sterling gasped.

“Stop worrying, Sterling.” Loveless said sternly, “Believe me, I once took several punches from Gridlock, and that clod is built like an ox! Now, stop stallin’ and hit me again!”

With a sigh, Sterling approached Loveless again. He made to punch him, lighter than the last punch, but much harder than the first. However, in a flash, Loveless caught the hoof, and with a swivel of his chair, flipped Sterling onto his back.

"Ugh!" Sterling groaned, “The hell?!”

"Heh-heh, one good thing about losing your back hooves: you develop great strength in the front." Loveless smiled. "You should never underestimate an opponent. Just because he seems to be weak doesn't necessarily mean that he is."

"I think I'm starting to get that." Sterling got back on his hooves.

"Now, let's try this again." Loveless urged. "And don't hold back this time."

"Oh, I won't..." Sterling smirked.

Sterling threw another punch. This time, Lovelesss evaded it, expertly swerving his wheelchair to Sterling's side, where he struck him in the back.

"Ow!" Sterling yelped.

"You'll need to be quicker than that." Loveless smirked.

"To be fair, I don't have wheels." Sterling muttered.

"Pray that you never do." Loveless frowned.

"...Sorry." Sterling cringed. "I wasn't thinking."

"Clearly." Loveless noted. "Now, let's try this again."

For the next ten minutes, Sterling continued to try, in vain, to land a blow on Loveless. By the end of those ten minutes, he was completely exhausted.

"I think that will do for today." Loveless grinned.

"How... did that... happen?" Sterling wheezed, “I…. didn’t think… you were that good.”

"The body is a mighty weapon." Loveless smiled. "You, my young friend, even with the training that Jetstream had provided, have only tapped into a fraction of your potential. Even in my, let’s say, ‘reduced capacity’, I still have the presence of mind to wield what I have at maximum efficiency. By the time I’m through with you, you will be able to do the same… and learn a few tricks along the way."

"I sure hope so." Sterling wiped the sweat off his brow. "No offense, but I don't think I could handle the humiliation of getting owned by a pony in a wheelchair every day."

“If only I had a bit for every time somepony said that.” Loveless rolled his eyes, “By the way, before the thing with Jetstream went down, I heard he was going to teach you how to use a sword. Is that correct?”

“Yeah… it was…” Sterling admitted sadly.

“Well, I’m no swordspony, but perhaps I could ask one of the agents if-” Loveless began.

“No, it’s fine, Loveless.” Sterling cut him off, “I don’t think I want to learn anymore.”

“Are you sure?” Loveless frowned, “I mean, it’s no trouble at-”

“I said it’s fine.” Sterling repeated, with a harsher voice, Hurt was obvious in his eyes, “...I just… don’t need to learn anymore.”

Loveless glanced at Sterling for a moment, before shaking his head.

“Very well.” Loveless sighed, “You should go and get some rest. Our mission starts at the break of dawn, and you’re gonna need to be alert. So get a lot of shut-eye, okay?”

"Somehow, I don't think that'll be a problem." Sterling declared, still worn out, “G’night, Loveless.”

Sterling left the training facility, leaving Loveless by himself, perplexed by the way he turned him down. Fortunately, he was too tired to dwell on it too much.

"And I thought Jetstream provided a tough workout..." Sterling yawned.

As Sterling entered his quarters, Ward greeted him with joyful barking.

"Arf! Arf!" He yipped.

"Sorry, pal, no time to play today." Sterling patted Ward on the head. "Just gonna drop into bed, and have a good snooze."

As Sterling prepared for bed, he glanced at the broken sword he had found just before his battle with Jetstream. He was once more struck by a surge of sorrow.

'I have to put that somewhere where I won't see it all the time...' He frowned as he climbed into bed.

As Sterling surmised, he feel asleep the second his head hit the pillow.

The next morning, he joined Loveless in the briefing room.

"Ready, Sterling?" Loveless asked tentatively.

"You know it." Sterling gave a small smile, “So, what’s the plan?”

"The scroll currently resides in the trophy room of Heavy Handed's private island, just off the coast of Minostan." Loveless declared. "We have a boat waiting on the coast to take us there. We'll need to take a blimp out there first..."

"A real round trip, huh?" Sterling mused. "What kind of gear will we need?"

"Just some basic infiltration and thieving tools." Loveless smiled. "Heavy Handed is rich, but he doesn't put too much stock when it comes to security. And what hired thugs he does have will be no match for a well-thought-out stratagem... Which I have already prepared."

"Then this should be easy." Sterling grinned.

After stocking up on equipment, Sterling and Loveless boarded, the blimp and, after a short rip, got on the small boat, and made their way to Heavy Handed's private island, landing on the rear side in a clearing of a small wooded area, where they were least likely to be spotted..

"Okay, let's do this." Sterling smiled, as they stealthily made their way through the woods.

"Follow my lead." Loveless whispered, “Just past these trees are some unmarked trails that should take us right to Heavy’s back door.”

"You sure you're gonna be okay?" Sterling asked, looking at the rocky surroundings ahead. "This is some pretty rough terrain...."

“Oh, I think I’ll be fine.” Loveless scoffed, as he pressed a button on the right side of his chair.

Suddenly, steam began spouting from his chair, as to Sterling’s shock, mechanical legs emerged, lifting upwards. Each leg was lined with thin pipes, pumping some sort of fluid, and little spout of steam spurted from the legs. The legs themselves looked sturdy and strong, barely thick as a stallion’s leg, with three-pronged pods acting as ‘feet'.

“Holy crap… I didn’t know you could do that.” Sterling gasped, as he glanced at the wheelchair, “Where have you been keeping them?”

“Oh, I have my ways.” Loveless smirked, “This isn’t my first time on uneven terrain. If I’m going to be doing Father’s will, I need to be able to adapt. You wouldn’t believe the things I put in this chair.”

“Well, considering you had an espresso machine in there from when we met, I believe it.” Sterling gave a small chuckle.

"That's nothing." Loveless smirked. "I also have a miniature vending machine, just in case."

"Got any Bits on ya?" Sterling joked. "I didn't bring any."

"Neither did I." Loveless grinned.

The two chuckled as they continued their trek.

The two made their way slowly through the trails, just in case they happened upon a guard. Without any incidents, they soon reached their target: a large, opulent mansion. Loveless, retracting the mechanical legs, took out a lockpick, and within a few seconds, opened the back door.

"Okay, according to information we gleaned from an ex-employee, Heavy Handed keeps his most valuable items in the southern wing on the second floor." Loveless announced. "So we should make a left at the next corner and head down the upper hallway. If we come across a room that’s being renovated, we went too far.”

"Gotcha." Sterling nodded. "I'll take point."

“...Um, okay, may I ask why?” Loveless frowned.

"Oh, uh.. no reason." Sterling said awkwardly, “I figured since you took the lead back there, I can take over from here.”

“We’re not playing ‘follow the leader’, Sterling.” Loveless chided, “Don’t forget, I’ve been an agent of the Forefathers for many years. And all of those years were spent in this chair. I can just about handle anything that comes our way… so stop fretting about me, okay?”

"...Sorry." Sterling sighed.

“It’s fine.” Loveless shook his head, “Let’s just get this done.”

They navigated the corridors of the mansion. As suspected, there were few security guards; living out at sea, Heavy Handed clearly didn't fear regular attempts at theft. What little guard they did run into were incapacitated by blow darts containing sedatives.

'So far, so good...' Sterling thought.

Finally, they arrived at the southern wing. After picking another set of locks, they entered a room full of various treasures. It was a common thief's dream, but Sterling and Loveless weren't common thieves. They were after a single object; the scroll was contained underneath a glass case.

"Sterling, if you would?" Loveless declared.

"My pleasure." Sterling grinned.

Sterling made his way over to the glass case, and extracted a device from his saddlebag. It resembled an oversized protractor. He placed the suction cup on the case, and turned the bladed part around, slicing a circular opening in the case. He then removed the scroll.

"Job done." He smirked, waving the scroll around.

"Excellent." Loveless grinned. "Now, let us take our leave-"

"Not so fast." A Pegasus mare with a teal coat, long black mane, and brown eyes declared, as she and three other ponies emerged from the shadows, each wearing dark suits.

“Crap…” Sterling murmured, as he whispered to Loveless, “I’m guessing these the guys Father were talking about?”

“Most likely.” Loveless huffed, “They must had been waiting till the last moment like we were.”

“Okay, you two. Drop the scroll and back away slowly.” The Pegasus mare ordered, her voice cold as ice.

“No can do, lady.” Sterling sneered, stepping forth, as he held up the scroll, “It’s first come, first serve. And we were here first.”

“Yes, so if anything, you should be the ones backing away.” Loveless joined in, “You have no idea whom you’re dealing with.”

"We know full well who you are." A bald Earth Pony stallion with a yellow coat and blue eyes stepped forward. "You're with the Forefathers."

“Huh, looks like they’ve been studying up on us.” Sterling mused.

"Boy, they must really be hard up for help." A green Unicorn stallion with a black mane and orange eyes snorted. "They send a cripple and a kid to steal a scroll. What’s next? A fish and a stoner?"

"Hey, we happen to be some of the top agents among the Forefathers." Sterling growled.

"That's not really helping your case." A blue Earth Pony stallion with a short brown mane and green eyes sneered. "Now, we're being paid a ton to take that scroll, so give it to us, or we give you a world of pain."

“I’m afraid we can’t do that.” Loveless said boldly, “We have plans for this scroll, and we can’t have it fall into just anypony’s hooves.”

"Oh, but you will." The mare snarled. "Or you'll suffer the consequences. So... What's it gonna be?"

Sterling and Loveless looked at each other, nodded, then charged at the mercenaries. Sterling tackled the blue stallion, knocking him out, while Loveless rammed the Unicorn into the wall.

"Ugh!" The Unicorn grunted. "You rotten..."

"Go ahead." Loveless raised his hooves. "Give me a good counterattack."

"Gladly!" The Unicorn lunged at Loveless.

Loveless flipped the Unicorn onto his back.

"I said 'good'." He tutted. "Guess I'll just have to skip to the knockout..."

"Not so fast!" The bald mercenary sneered, brandishing what looked like an oversized crossbow, but instead of a bolt, there was a strange crystal within, crackling with some sort of energy.

"What is that thing?" Loveless frowned.

"I don't actually know." The mercenary admitted. "I picked it up when we raided this secret army bunker. No clue what it does. But this seems like as good a time as any to find out!"

“Oh, crap…” Loveless cringed.

The mercenary pulled the trigger. A massive blast of energy burst out of the crossbow. The stallion unfortunately did not account for the kickback, as he was suddenly sent flying backward… through a window.

"Ahhhh!" He yelped, soon followed by a loud thud.

"So that's what it does." Loveless smirked, as he then glanced at a newly-made hole behind him and slightly to the left. “The aim could have used a little more work..."

"Unbelievable." The mercenary mare groaned.

"Priceless..." Sterling sniggered.

"Shut up!" The female yelled. She tackled Sterling, bashing against a door that lead into another room. This room happened to be the one in renovation as Loveless had mentioned earlier, the floors covered in white sheets, and various tools and wooden stands all around.

The female kicked Sterling, knocking him on his back, then pinned him down with her knees, punching his face repeatedly.

Sterling kicked her off, but as he stood up, she grabbed a plank of wood and struck him with it.

"Gah!" He grunted.

As Sterling reeled from the blow, the female grabbed a buzzsaw and charged it him. Sterling caught the tool before it could hit him, and forced it into the wall, causing it to short-circuit.

As the mare kicked him back, he grabbed the wire, and wrapped it around her neck, cutting off her air supply.

"Getting a little choked up?" He smirked.

The mare flipped Sterling over his back, and he crashed onto a plywood that was propped onto sawhorses, breaking it in half.

Meanwhile, the other mercenaries were still taking on Loveless.

"Let's take him from both sides!" The Unicorn ordered.

"Good thinking." The Earth Pony smirked. "He can't take us both. Not in that chair!"

"Fools..." Loveless smirked.

As the two stallions charged, Loveless pushed a button. The seat of the chair rose up and spun around, allowing Loveless to attack both of them.

"Ugh!" The Earth Pony yelped.

"Arrrgh!" The Unicorn grunted.

The seat lowered as the foes dropped to the floor.

"Too easy." Loveless smirked.

Back in the other room, Sterling was thrown against a wall.

“Jeez, what does this mare eat?” Sterling groaned.

The mare in question let out a growl as she came at him with an iron pipe that was lying nearby.

“Why. Won’t. You. Die!” The mercenary roared, emphasizing each word with a swing of a iron pipe, following up with a hoof to the head.

"Ah!" Sterling yelped, shaking off the pain. "That's it..."

As she pulled back for the another swing, Sterling tackled her, throwing her onto a tablesaw, missing the actual saw by a few inches. The mare attempts to swing her pipe again, only for Sterling to pin it against the table.

Tapping a button, Sterling turned on the saw, buzzing to life, before he climbed onto the table and pinned the mare.

“Hmph, gotta say, first time I’ve been with a mare.” Sterling smiled cockily, his hoof inching the mare’s pipe hoof towards the spinning saw, “And I'm kinda enjoying the view!”

“Oh, please! As if you would be on top!” The mare snarled.

With a flick of her pinned hoof, the pipe flew against the buzz saw, ricocheting into Sterling’s face.

“Gah!” Sterling gasped.

Taking advantage of his distraction, the mare punched Sterling off of her, throwing him to the ground.

“Ow, that smarts...” Sterling clutched the bruised side of his face as he got back up.

“That’s not the only thing that’s going to hurt.” The mare sneered, as she punched him.

"Not very lady like..." Sterling smirked, throwing a punch of his own.

The mare stumbled back a step.

"You're the one who hits like a girl." She punched Sterling again.

"Guh!" Sterling grunted on impact. "We'll see about that."

As the mare recoiled from another strike, Sterling grabbed her mane.

“Ugh!” The mare gasped.

With all his might, he flung her through the wall, leading them back into the treasure room.

Loveless was doing an excellent job of handling the remaining two mercenaries, deflecting and parrying their blows.

“Come on, is that the best you could do?!” Loveless taunted.

The mare, recovering from being thrown through the wall, took note of Loveless, and darted forward.

Sterling was just coming through the wall himself when he saw the mare jumping at an unaware Loveless.

“Loveless, look out!” Sterling yelled.

But it was too late. Before Loveless could register Sterling’s voice, the mare tackled him from behind, knocking his chair over and sending him sprawling across the floor.

“Argh…” Loveless groaned. He tried to get up, but the female mercenary was quick to grab him.

“Get away from-” Sterling snarled.

“Don’t come any closer!” The mare growled, holding a knife to Loveless’s neck, “Or else wheelie here gets it!”

“Whoa.” Sterling stopped, “Okay, let’s not do anything crazy. Let Loveless go.”

“Oh, we will.” The mare huffed, spitting out a bit of blood, “Whether it's with or without a slit throat? That all depends on you giving us the scroll.”

“No!” Loveless grunted, “Don’t do it, Sterling! I don’t matter! It’s the mission that’s important!”

"In that case, maybe I should just end you right here." The female growled.

"No, don't!" Sterling yelled.

"Then give us what we want." The female demanded.

"Okay, okay!" Sterling sighed. "You win. I'll give you the scroll."

Sterling slowly stepped over to the mercenary, holding out the scroll. The female grabbed the scroll, then pushed Loveless into Sterling.

"Let's go, boys!" She smirked.

The mercenaries leapt out of the broken window.

"Loveless, are you-?" Sterling started.

“No time!” Loveless cut him off, “Get my chair!”

Sterling nodded, as he quickly grabbed the knocked over wheelchair and set it up right.

Loveless quickly and wordlessly hopped onto the chair, and tapped the button. The chair’s legs popped out.

“Climb on.” Loveless ordered.

“Loveless, what are you-”

“I said climb on!” Loveless roared.

“Okay!” Sterling cringed, as he leapt onto the chair.

Without another word, Loveless turned his chair towards the broken window and leapt out it, landing on the ground below. The chair clambered over the terrain and foliage. As they passed through a thicket, They closed in on their quarry.

"There they are!" Loveless pointed out the mercenaries, who had collected their injured comrade, and were making a break for it.

"They're getting away!" Sterling yelled.

"Oh, no, they're not." Loveless pushed a button on his chair.

Suddenly, a net fired out of the chair's lower half, ensnaring the mercenaries. The female dropped the scroll on impact.

"No!" She cried, as it rolled away.

"I believe this is ours." Loveless smirked, picking up the scroll.

“You son of a draft horse!” The mare snarled, “Let us go!”

“Sorry, I don’t think so.” Loveless said coldly, “I think we will leave you here for Heavy and his men to find. I hear Heavy has very low tolerance for trespassers.”

"Especially when they do something like this." Sterling produced a flare, and set it off, lighting up the sky with crimson illumination. "They won't be missing that."

"Ta-ta." Loveless declared, as he and Sterling made their exit.

"You'll pay for this!" The mare roared. "I swear you'll pay!"

Sterling and Loveless made their way back to the boat, their prize firmly in hoof.

"How about that?" Sterling smiled. "Things worked out pretty well, huh? And on my first official mission as an Ouroboros... Not bad, eh?"

Loveless didn't respond. He was quiet. Too quiet...

“Loveless? Is everything alright?” Sterling frowned.

“You shouldn’t have done that.” Loveless grunted.

“Shouldn’t have done what?” Sterling asked.

“What you did back there, giving those mercs the scroll to save me.” Loveless frowned. “You nearly jeopardized the mission.”

“What?!” Sterling gasped, “Loveless, they were going to kill you! Besides, we got the scroll back! It all worked out in the end!”

“Because we were lucky.” Loveless pointed out, “How do you think it would have gone over with Father and the others if we hadn’t got the scroll back?”

“I guess they would've been pissed, but-” Sterling supposed.

“But nothing. Father is a forgiving stallion, but if he ever found out that you'd willingly failed the mission for the life of another, he would not be happy. And you wouldn’t like him when he isn’t happy.”

“Seriously? He would get more upset over a lost scroll than losing another Ouroboros?” Sterling glared.

“As you know full well, ponies in this organization are replaceable. Ouroboros such as you and I are no different.” Loveless retorted.

"Well... we should be!" Sterling yelled. "We're supposed to the highest-ranked! Shouldn't that mean something?"

"Yes." Loveless nodded. "It means we, more than any other operative, are obligated to do whatever it takes to achieve Father's wishes."

"Even if it means letting other Ouroboros die?" Sterling scowled.

"Yes." Loveless declared. "It is our duty, what is expected of us-"

“I don’t care!” Sterling snarled, “I’ve already lost Jetstream, I won’t lose you too!”

Loveless paused, glancing at Sterling with realization.

“...So that’s what this is about…” Loveless murmured, “...You’re still grieving our departed friend… are you?”

“Yeah, that’s right.” Sterling admitted, letting out a huff, “I didn’t really stop.”

“But then why did you decide to assume the role of Ouroboros then if you were still in mourning?” Loveless asked.

“Well, I figured it wouldn’t look good on me to still mourn a ‘traitor’ after so long.” Sterling growled, hurt in his voice, “You saw how the others acted around me.”

“But you’re letting what happened with Jetstream cloud your judgment.” Loveless frowned, “Letting your personal feelings get in the way of doing your mission is a surefire way of getting yourself killed… or worse.”

"So you'd rather I let other ponies get killed instead?" Sterling frowned.

"If it means accomplishing the mission, then yes." Loveless retorted.

"Well, maybe I think the mission isn't worth that." Sterling turned away in a huff.

“Sterling…” Loveless began, letting out a sigh, “You should know, that as your mentor and friend, I am grateful for what you did for me back there. And if I was being honest… I would've done the same thing if our roles have been reversed. But as a fellow Ouroboros, I know that the life we live is not a very forgiving one, and that if we let our feelings get in the way of fulfilling our duties… well, we only have to look what have become of Jetstream.”

Sterling lowered his head, acknowledging his words.

“I’m only warning you, because I care about you and your well-being.” Loveless said solemnly, “It is my duty to look after you and help you survive in our world… not the other way around. You understand me, right?”

“...I do understand.” Sterling nodded, before adding firmly, “But I know I made the right choice today. And I would do it again… in a heartbeat.”

“...Very well.” Loveless shook his head, “Let’s just hope that we never find ourselves in that situation again. As much as I wish to honor Jetstream’s memory, I cannot ignore the reason for his fall from grace, and I hope you will do the same.”

"Oh, I won't." Sterling sighed. "No matter how much I try."

"Good..." Loveless nodded. "Now, let's get this scroll back to the Infinity."

“...Right.” Sterling sighed.

"I'm sure Father will be most pleased." Loveless smiled. "This scroll will serve us well in our endeavors. And Father will ensure we will both be commended."

"Like I said, not bad for my first day on the job." Sterling grinned.

"Indeed." Loveless nodded.

As they departed the island, Sterling felt the all-too familiar pangs of doubt, as he thought on what Loveless has said.

'Is that really what Loveless expects me to do? Just let my comrades die for the sake of the mission? He thought. '....No, no, don't think like that. You did the right thing. The scroll is on its way to Father, just as it should be. No matter what, I'm not going to let any kind of doubt change me, or sway me from this path. I'm an Ouroboros now. I no longer have the luxury...'