• Published 27th Jan 2017
  • 702 Views, 60 Comments

Tainted Silver - Bluecatcinema



The history of Sterling Cross, revealed at last.

  • ...
2
 60
 702

...Comes Around

Meanwhile, back at the Taskforce headquarters, unaware of the situation that had befallen Sterling and the Barrel-Roll family, Elite and his comrades had finally finished compiling all the nasty wrongdoings Crystal had done.

“Well, everypony, it took us all night, but we finally done it.” Elite smirked, rubbing his mane, admittedly tired from burning the midnight oil. “There’s enough info here that will surely send Crystal packing.”

“Leaving us to go after Sterling unabated.” Ballista grinned. “And once Sterling’s in our custody…”

“We take care of Crystal.” Black said firmly.

"But how will we find Sterling?" Incognito asked.

"Good point." Master Mind admitted. "We've had no look tracking him down so far, even with Crystal looming over our heads."

"Let's not give up hope." Armory declared. "You never know, the lead we need to find Sterling could end up coming through our door any second."

Just then, Caboose and Fletcher entered the room.

"Whoo, it's good to be back!" Caboose smiled, “Especially after spending a year away!”

“Caboose, we were only away for only two weeks.” Fletcher frowned.

“Tell that to the writers.” Caboose gestured upwards.

"Oh, hey, guys." Armory greeted them, “Welcome back.”

“Indeed. With all the work we’ve been doing, I almost forgot about you two.” Elite frowned, “I hope you both got enough rest.”

“We certainly did.” Fletcher nodded… before noting how tired the Director and the others looked, “...Though, not to speak out of line, it seems you all haven’t been sleeping yourself.”

"That's because we've been working non-stop trying to track down Sterling." Black grimaced.

"With little luck." Master Mind sighed. "He's either very good at covering his tracks, or somepony's hiding him."

"Whatever the case, we've been getting nowhere." Ballista grunted.

"That must be frustrating." Fletcher mused.

"And it's not just us." Incognito scoffed. "Those mobster connections of Caboose's haven't accomplished a-"

“Oh, I almost forgot!” Caboose spoke up, “My guys found Sterling!”

“...What?” Incognito gaped.

"You're kidding." Black said flatly.

"Inconceivable!" Master Mind gasped.

"Whoa." Armory smiled.

"Unbelievable." Ballista shook his head.

“That is great news!” Elite smirked, “Who found him?”

“Well, Gregory told me last night that he got a call from Paul in Applewood, who also got the call from Petra in White Tail Woods, who got a chime from Reggie in the Crystal Empire, who first got the message straight from this guy named Aboot.”

"'Aboot'?" Black frowned.

“Yeah, that’s what I thought.” Caboose admitted, “I mean, I am semi-familiar with all the guys we hired… and I didn’t even know we had a Canadian in the mob. Or even a Canada in Equestria. Then again, geography was never my strong suit...”

“Caboose, focus.” Fletcher urged firmly, “According to… well, Caboose’s contacts, they said that Sterling Cross was just spotted in Cairode, Haygypt.”

“...Wait, what?” Elite gaped.

"He went home?" Incognito frowned.

“But how?! Why?!” Master Mind asked, “All the airports and docks were on lookout for ponies like him! Even if he could somehow sneak aboard a vessel, why would he risk capture doing so?!”

“Are you sure that it was Sterling they saw?” Ballista questioned.

“Oh, yeah. Our friendly Canadian even got us camera footage of the area where he was last seen. I have it right here!” Caboose smirked, pulling out a tape.

"Then by all means, let's see it." Armory urged.

"With pleasure." Caboose nodded. "Anypony got popcorn?"

"Let's save the victory feast for later." Fletcher rolled his eyes.

"Indeed." Elite nodded. "Our work is far from done..."

As they made their way to the operations room to view the footage, they came across Fury, who had just returned from his training run.

"Where are you all guys going?" Fury asked. He then noticed Caboose and Fletcher, glaring, “And what are you two doing back here?”

“Well, Caboose’s mafia friends came through for us.” Elite announced, “They found a lead on Sterling’s whereabouts.”

"Seriously?" Fury scowled. "They found something?”

"That's right." Black nodded. "These two rookies are doing a better job of things than you when you first joined up."

"I'll believe that when I see it." Fury scoffed.

"Then by all means, follow us." Armory urged.

"Oh, I will..." Fury sneered.

Once they reached the operations room, Armory was quick to set up the projector with a VCR attached to it. The security tape was promptly inserted, and the footage began to play.

Shown on the footage was the streets of Cairode, outside a docking port. Several large buildings and warehouse equipment littered the scene, the shadows the buildings cast signifying that it was close to sunset. Ponies were walking along the streets, going about their days… but one immediately caught the Taskforce’s eyes: the unmistakable likeness of Sterling Cross, walking on screen.

“Son of a draft horse. It is him.” Ballista mused.

“Was this footage taken recently?” Elite turned to Caboose.

“Last night actually.” Caboose smirked, “They got it to me just as I was having my morning coffee. I’m not sure which one is Aboot, but dang, he’s fast.”

“But still, how did he get there?” Master Mind frowned, “I mean, as far as we knew, he was last seen here in Equestria.”

“Express mail, maybe?” Caboose asked, eating a bag of popcorn he had inexplicably gained.

"Yeah, that makes total sense." Fury said sarcastically.

“Hold on… look.” Ballista pointed to the screen.

Everypony did just that, as they continued watching the screen. Sterling was walking as if he was approaching the docking port… but stopped, as another pony approached him… Big Red. The two began engaging in voiceless conversation…

Needless to say, everypony was surprised.

“No… no…” Black gaped.

“Black, isn’t that Big Red?” Armory frowned worriedly.

“I don’t know… it looks like him.” Caboose squinted his eyes, as he then tilted his head, “But if you look at it at a angle, it could simply be a doppelganger. You wouldn’t believe how common those are.”

“...Somehow, I don’t think it’s a doppelganger.” Fletcher grimaced.

"But why would Big Red be in Cairode?" Incognito asked.

"And in the company of Sterling, no less." Master Mind frowned.

"And how did he even get over there?" Ballista mused. "Makes no sense..."

Unbeknownst to the others, Fury clenched his talons, scraping the floor, as his grit his beak angrily.

“Actually, it makes perfect sense.” Black admitted, still shocked at seeing his friend on screen, “Big Red has his own airship that he got from his dad when he died. The ‘S.S. Cherryblossom’.”

“My Faust… a ‘private’ airship, of course.” Master Mind realized, “I hadn’t thought of that. Private airships don’t usually have to dock at airship ports. Sterling must have hitched a ride with him.”

“But why would Big Red associate himself with Sterling?” Fletcher asked.

“Maybe he has no idea Sterling is a fugitive.” Armory suggested.

“Yet Big Red personally flew him to Cairode?” Black scowled, “I know Red, he’s not an idiot. He has to know who Sterling is.”

“Then Sterling is forcing him.” Fury scowled, glaring holes at the screen. “He must have strong-armed him! That flappin’ piece of scum!”

“I dunno, Fury.” Master Mind frowned, “Look at how Big Red and Sterling are interacting.” He gestured to the screen. Indeed, the two were still talking, Big Red placing a kindly hoof on Sterling's shoulder. “I doubt he’s being coerced into anything.”

“But then what is going on?” Incognito asked, “Putting aside notions that Big Red is helping a fugitive, what reason could Sterling have to return to Haygypt? Especially with that brother of his out to get him?”

“...Maybe his brother is the reason.” Elite realized.

“Wait, you’re saying Sterling came back to Cairode… to kill Crystal?” Armory gasped.

"No." Black shook his head. "Big Red would never help somepony in their quest to murder another."

"I told you guys letting Sterling on the team would be a bad idea." Incognito sneered. "But none of you would listen!"

"Nopony likes a gloater, Icognito." Ballista retorted.

"And we have no solid evidence just yet." Master Mind declared. "You're operating on a faulty hypothesis."

As they continued watching the video, Big Red and Sterling finished talking, and walked out of view.

"They must be headed back to Dodge Junction." Black mused.

"So that's where Sterling's been hiding out?" Armory asked.

"Why there?" Fletcher asked.

"Maybe he just really likes cherries?" Caboose offered.

"Or maybe he's planning something there." Incognito said stubbornly. "Something big..."

"If he really killed Crystal, then Big Red is harboring a murderer." Ballista frowned.

“Look, right now, this is all speculation.” Elite declared firmly, “Whether Sterling killed Crystal or not, we’ll find out when we see him ourselves. I for one will attend to this myself.”

"Hold on." Black stepped forward. "I'm coming too. Big Red is my friend."

“Who believes that you’re dead.” Elite added, “I’m sorry, Black, but there is a chance, even in your armor, that Red or even Sterling could recognize you. And that would lead to other problems.”

"But, Elite, I have to-!" Black started.

"I'm sorry, Black." Elite shook his head. "But the answer is 'no'."

“Then let me go.” Fury stepped forth, really incensed. “If Cross really did do the deed, I'm tear his hooves off!”

“Hold on a moment.” Black frowned, “I know why I’m mad. Why are you mad?”

“That’s my business.” Fury growled, as he turned to Elite, “Sterling already had it out with the rest of you. With me, he won’t know what hit him.”

“...You know, that’s a good point.” Master Mind admitted.

"Tactically, it is a solid plan." Ballista agreed.

“Very well then.” Elite nodded, “Let’s get going. If we’re lucky, Sterling might still be in Dodge Junction.”

“Too bad the same won’t be said for Sterling.” Fury sneered.

After they left the room, the others glanced at each other in confusion.

"What was that all about?" Master Mind asked.

"You're asking the wrong guy." Black said, a little bitter, "It’s my friend that’s in danger here. Fury shouldn’t have a reason to be this ticked.”

“I wouldn’t worry, mate.” Ballista reassured him, “Whatever his reason is, if Sterling is planning something, Fury will most likely buck him in the arse.”

"That would be painful, what with those claws." Caboose noted.

"That's the idea." Fury nodded.

"Just try to bring Sterling back in one piece." Fletcher urged.

"No promises." Fury snorted, as he and Elite left the room.

Meanwhile...

"Ugh..." Sterling groaned as he regained consciousness. "What... what happened?"

"Payback is what happened."

Sterling’s eyes lit up, recognizing the voice. And it wasn’t anypony he knew in the Forefathers. As he glanced up, he found himself face to face with a crossbow, which looked awfully similar to the one he left back in Cairode… being held by Crystal Cross.

“Morning, sleepyhead.” Crystal smirked.

“What the…” Sterling gasped. However, as he glanced around, his blood froze. Not far from him, Big Red and his family were just getting up as well… but they too were being held at crossbowpoint by suited agents, “...No…”

The rest of the family woke up.

"What in tarnation...?" Big Red frowned.

"What is this?" Cherry asked.

"What the flap is going on?" Eclipse asked.

"Who are these guys?" Huckleberry frowned.

"And w-what do they want?" Globe trembled.

“Oh, where are my manners?” Crystal sneered, “I am the Haygyptian senator Crystal Cross…” And he glared down at Sterling, “And this terrorist you have been harboring in your home is my young brother, Sterling.”

"You have a brother, Sterling?" Globe asked.

“Did he just call you a terrorist?” Eclipse gaped.

“Forget about that, why are there crossbows being pointed at us?!” Huckleberry yelled.

“That’s what I want to know!” Sterling snarled, “What the hell are you doing here, Crystal?!”

“What? Did you honestly not see this coming?” Crystal scoffed, “Did you really think you could get away with leaving me in that well? That you could humiliate me? And blackmail me?! Well, you are WRONG!”

"Wait, he did what now?" Eclipse frowned, as he glanced at Sterling, “What is he talking about?”

“It’s a long story.” Sterling cringed… before glaring at Crystal, “Look, Crystal, I don’t know what the hell you’re thinking kidnapping all of us, but let Red and his family go! They have no part in this!”

“Oh, I think they do.” Crystal retorted, as he glared at Big Red, “After I got of that well you dropped me in, I had my agents ground all airships leaving Haygypt so that I could find you… imagine my surprise when I heard that a unaffiliated airship was spotted leaving the outskirts of Cairode, named the ‘Cherryblossom’.”

Big Red’s breath hitched as Sterling silently cursed under his breath, realizing where he was going with this.

“It only took minutes for my guys to find that the airship was listed under a ‘Redwall Barrel-Wall’ a.k.a. ‘Big Red’.” Crystal explained, “And considering how you were able to get to Cairode undetected in the first place, it became clear to me that you've been hiding out here, with this family of bumpkins. That makes them all accessories to all your wrong-doings.”

"Ya ain't got nuthin' on us." Big Red said defiantly. "And if ya dare mess with mah family, ya gonna be nuthin', period."

"You dare threaten me, you nameless yokel?" Crystal scowled.

"Ah'll do a lot more than that if ya do anything to mah family." Big Red shot back.

"I can do more to you and your wretched family than your tiny mind can imagine." Crystal retorted. "I can you all disappear, and nopony will eversuspect I did anything at all!"

“You’re wasting your time if you’re expecting to intimidate anypony.” Sterling declared fiercely, “Big Red knew who I was before I came here, yet he took me in.”

"Then he really must be as stupid as he looks." Crystal snorted.

"Don't you dare talk about my husband like that!" Cherry yelled angrily. "And who are you to threaten our family? You vile, rotten-"

"Shut up, you old bag!" Crystal roared. "You think I'm one of your little brats? That all it'll take to make me back down is a stern talking to? Well, you're wrong!"

“Listen to me, Crystal, this is between you and me. Leave them out of this!” Sterling growled in frustration.

“Oh, aren’t you so noble?” Crystal mocked him, “Looks like you found yourself a lovely little family… a little ol’ family of dirt ponies… and one filthy bird-cat.” He glared at Eclipse, who glared back, “So unlike our own… a father who’s actually willing to protect his family. A mother that has actually have love in her bleeding heart… and three sons who seem to love each other…” His gaze fell on Globe. “And look, their youngest is actually still alive!” His eyes narrowed wickedly. "But that can be fixed.”

Globe gulped.

"That reminds me." Crystal turned to his agents. "Better dig some graves, boys. And be snappy about it. I have a meeting with the mayor of Cairode this afternoon.”

Huckleberry and Globe moved closer to Big Red and Cherry, trembling, while Eclipse moved in front of them, hoping to protect his family.

"Easy, kids." Big Red said supportively. "It'll be okay. Ah promise."

"Will it, Red?" Cherry asked.

"Not if I can help it." Eclipse growled.

"Wish I had your confidence, bro." Huckleberry gulped.

"This can't be happening..." Globe closed his eyes tightly. "It just can't..."

Sterling only glared at his brother… but inwardly, he was besides himself with guilt.

’Buck… this is all my fault.’ Sterling despaired, ’I never should’ve gone back to Cairode… unless some miracle happen, none of us is going to be walking away from this alive…’

Meanwhile, Elite and Fury were enroute to Dodge Junction, their pony-pulled carriage moving at top speed.

"We'll be in Dodge Junction in a few minutes, sir." One of the ponies up front announced.

"Good." Elite nodded.

"Not soon enough, if you ask me." Fury scowled. "I'd've been better off flying there."

"But then you'd be exhausted, and in no state to confront Sterling." Elite pointed.

"Well, there is that..." Fury admitted grudgingly.

“Still… who would've thought?” Elite mused, “That out of all the ponies Sterling could had been come in contact with, he ended up meeting Big Red. And that he would had been in Dodge Junction, all this time… a stroke of good luck, if you really think about it.”

“More like rotten luck.” Fury snarled, “If Sterling did anything to put Big Red and his family in harm’s way, I don’t care what we need him for, I’m gonna kill him.”

“What is with you, Fury?” Elite frowned, “Ever since you learned Big Red was with Sterling, you’ve been very agitated.”

“Well, Big Red is a good stallion who has no business associating himself with flappin’ scums like Sterling, especially with that brother of his and the Forefathers.” Fury growled, “Being around that flappin’ scum is putting them all in danger!”

“But why do you care so much?” Elite asked, “Last I checked, Big Red is Black’s friend. His anger is understandable. But you? I can’t help but be curious.”

"What? Isn't it our job to protect the innocent?" Fury retorted.

“Yes… but the way you’re acting right now makes me believe that there’s something personal about it. And that’s why you decided to come along.” Elite declared.

"Well, you believe wrong." Fury scoffed defensively. "It's all about protecting these folks from Sterling's actions."

"Really?" Elite raised an eyebrow.

"Yes, really!" Fury growled.

“Now, now, there’s no need to get testy.” Elite soothed, “I’m just saying, I find it a bit odd… just as odd as the deal with Flaps Featherton.”

“...Who?” Fury frowned.

“You know. The head of Griffonstone Homeland Security.” Elite mused, “I heard he was in Dodge Junction a few months back. Which baffles me. Why would somecreature like him come out to Dodge Junction of all places? To other ponies, it seems rather… strange.”

"Hey, not my problem what they think." Fury shrugged.

“Really? Well, I asked around… and it turns out that he was sent there on a favor.” Elite declared.

“...And?” Fury felt his eye twitched.

"Okay, that's enough of the subterfuge." Elite sighed. "I talked with Barbossa..."

“Ugh, Faust damn it, Bossa…” Fury closed his eyes in frustration.

“Hey, don’t be like that.” Elite chided, “After the way you acted when we were first started our search for Sterling, I decided to ask Barbossa about your personal life… and he had some very interesting things to say about you.”

“Of course he did.” Fury shook his head as he glared at him, “Why are you bringing this up now?”

“Well, one of the things that came up in our conversation was regarding your family-” Elite began.

“Who are all dead. End of story.” Fury scowled, clearly not wanting to talk about it.

“Not ‘end of story’.” Elite huffed, “You still have a living relative. Who just so happened to be in Dodge Junction, where Big Red lived and where Flaps Featherton visited… and why some unruly thug named Lunard Cloudskipper evokes such anger from you…”

"...You just know everything, don't you?" Fury snarled, “So what?”

“Fury, me and Ballista started this team on the basis that we would all be more forthcoming with one another.” Elite explained, “I would have rather learn all this information from you rather than through Barbossa.”

“But you didn’t.” Fury scoffed, “Can’t change that now.”

“I’m being serious, Fury.” Elite frowned, “As part of the team, we should be able to rely on one another. Trust each other.”

"Easier said than done." Fury retorted.

Suddenly, something in Elite’s cloak began to buzz.

“Excuse me, one moment.” Elite sighed, as he pulled out his orb communicator, tapping it, “Elite here, what’s up?”

“Hey, Elite, it’s Ballista.” Ballista’s voice echoed, his voice sounding concerned, “We got a problem.”

“Ballista, we always have problems.” Elite frowned, “Could you be more specific?”

“It’s Crystal Cross, Elite.” Ballista specified firmly.

“Crystal? You mean he’s still alive?” Elite lit up, “Sterling didn’t kill him?”

“Apparently not. I followed up with some of our guys over in Cairode after you two left.” Ballista explained, “They told me Crystal and some of his guys took off in a pegasus-pulled carriage earlier this morning. From what I understand, Crystal had to be fished out of a dried-up well. And he didn’t look the least bit happy.”

“Wait… Sterling went to Cairode… so he could drop his brother in a well?” Fury snorted, “Why?”

“That is strange…” Elite admitted, a bit perturbed, “...But not to worry. We’re almost to Dodge Junction. If Crystal comes by and tries to kick up something, slap him with some of the info we found on him and hold him off-”

“Elite, you don’t understand.” Ballista cut him off, “After I called the guys in Cairode, I got a call from our guys over here in Equestria. They told me that around a hour or two ago, they spotted Crystal’s carriage flying not towards Quanticolt… but towards southern Equestria.”

“Wait, why would he…” Elite muttered… before lighting up in horror, “Oh, no…”

“What? What is it?” Fury frowned, growing a bit concerned himself.

“It’s Crystal Cross.” Elite explained, “He knows where Sterling is. He’s heading to Dodge Junction!”

“What?! But how?!” Fury demanded.

“He must've found out about the airship Sterling took to get there and back.” Elite surmised, “And no doubt he had access to information regarding registered airships. He knows Sterling in Dodge Junction. And who might've ‘helped’ him.”

“Oh, buck… that means Big Red and his family really are in danger!” Ballista gasped.

"I knew it!" Fury snarled, incensed. "If Crystal doesn't kill Sterling, I will!"

"Thank you for the information, Ballista." Elite declared, hanging up.He then turned to the pullers. "I need to ask you to hurry up, please."

"Yes, sir!" The stallions nodded, increasing their speed.

Back in the middle of the plains, the agents had just about dug up six holes of varying sizes, obviously intended to be the final resting places of their hostages. Big Red and his family stuck together, fear biting at them... some more than other.

"Pa, I-I'm scared." Globe trembled.

"Ain't nuthin' wrong with that, son." Big Red comforted him.

"Good, because I'm petrified." Huckleberry admitted.

"Can't we do something?" Eclipse asked.

"I'm not sure there's anything we can do, Eclipse." Cherry admitted.

"Red, I'm sorry." Sterling said sorrowfully. "I never meant to get your family involved in-"

"Save that kinda talk fer when we get outta of this mess." Big Red urged.

"'When'?" Cherry frowned. "You always were the optimistic sort..."

At that moment, Crystal walked back over, smirking at Sterling.

"You know, this is gonna be just like old times, Sterling." He smirked. "Me, doing whatever I want to you, and you, powerless to do anything to stop me."

“Crystal, don’t do this!” Sterling demanded, “If you want to kill me, just do it. But leave them out of this! They’re innocent!”

“Well, you should had thought of that when you decided to come back to Cairode.” Crystal taunted him, “Had you just gotten over our little brother’s ‘accident’ and move on with your pathetic, worthless life, this whole nasty situation could had been avoided. But no… like with everything else, you would have to go and ruin things.”

"'Gotten over' it?" Sterling snarled. "Are you insane?"

"Takes one to know one." Crystal shot back. "Because only an insane stallion would do what you did to me."

"You killed our brother!" Sterling yelled. "That was the least you deserved!"

"What I deserve to be rid of you!" Crystal snarled.

"You never change, do you?" Sterling shot back. "Always thinking you deserve everything. Like you're so special."

"I am special!" Crystal spat.

"No, you're just a twisted, narcissistic, self-serving psychopath-" Sterling began to retort, before Crystal hit him in the face with his crossbow. "Ugh!" He grunted, falling to the ground.

"I think that's enough of the debate for now." Crystal said coldly.

"We're finished digging the holes, boss." One of the agents announced.

“Well, it’s time.” Crystal chuckled darkly, “I hope you all made peace with yourselves and Faust, because I wouldn’t expect there to be any funerals for unfound bodies.”

“Crystal, please…” Sterling winced, spitting a bit of blood.

“You should have used this last bolt to kill me… because now, I’m going to use it to kill you.” Crystal seethed, aiming his crossbow at him, “You can mark this up as another bad decision in a life full of them. Only this time, you will pay the price for it.” His eyes narrowed, “The ultimate price…”

Sterling glared fiercely at him.

“Goodbye, Sterling…” Crystal sneered, moments from pulling the trigger.

"Crystal! What the buck?!"

Everypony turned towards the direction of the voice, revealing to be Detail. The stallion still look pretty beaten much from his fight with Sterling, with his glasses still busted, his suit roughed up, and cuts and bruises still on his face.

“Detail?” Sterling frowned.

"What are you doing here, Detail?" Crystal growled, annoyed. "I thought I told you to wait in the carriage.”

“Never mind that!” Detail snapped, unusually defiant, “What the hell is this?! I thought you guys were going to gas the home Sterling was hiding in, and just take him! Not everypony in the Faust damn house!”

“Well, things change, Detail.” Crystal scoffed, “They clearly know too much, about Sterling, and about me! I can’t have that!”

“What?! No they don’t!” Sterling protested.

"That's right!" Big Red agreed. "Sterling kept to himself most a' the time he wuz here! He barely even mentioned ya!"

“We didn’t even know Sterling had a brother!” Eclipse snapped.

“You hearin’ that, Crystal?” Detail frowned, “They had no idea who you are! Or what you’ve done!”

“Well, they’re obviously lying to save their own skins!” Crystal huffed.

“Did you not hear us?! We don’t know anything!” Cherry yelled.

"What if they're telling the truth, Crystal?" Detail urged. "There’s no reason to kill them." He lowered his voice to a whisper. "We could spin this as some sort of sting operation, pay them off to keep their silence, then get Sterling out of here."

“...I guess you’re right…” Crystal mused, “Very well…” He turned to the family, “I spent most of my childhood physically and mentally abusing my two younger brothers, ended up killing my youngest brother Gold by pushing him down a well-”

"What?!" Cherry gasped.

"Seriously?" Eclipsa frowned, disgusted.

“Crystal, what are you doing?!” Detail gaped.

"Among my other crimes are embezzlement, tax evasion, bribe taking, cheating on my wife, having my political rivals 'removed'..." Crystal announced. "And oh, yes, having almost every pony associated with my family murdered!"

“Wait… what?!” Sterling gasped, “You mean… Gold wasn’t the only one?”

“Don’t act so mortified, brother.” Crystal scoffed, “With all the ponies you killed in your career, my count is miniscule.”

"What are you, a psycho or somethin'?!" Huckleberry screeched.

"That's awful..." Globe muttered.

“Why did you do that?!” Detail gasped.

“Sorry, my tongue slipped.” Crystal smirked, “But look on the bright side, now I have a reason.”

“B-but that is- what the hell is wrong with you?!” Detail spluttered.

“Hey, I just spent fourteen hours in that well, because you and the others couldn’t do your job!” Crystal seethed, “I am not about to let this rat live another day because of a family of backwood rednecks!” He paused, taking a deep breath, “...So forgive me if I’m feeling a little bloodthirsty.”

“You’re telling me you actually want to kill this family?” Detail asked, visibly disgusted.

“Well, I’m not about to shell out bits to the family that’s been harboring him.” Crystal retorted, “And from the look of them, all the money in the world isn’t going to keep them silent. By killing them along with Sterling, there’ll be no loose ends.”

"But there will be!" Detail declared. "This is a small community, not like Cairode. If this family disappears, ponies will notice!"

"Nopony who matters." Crystal scoffed.

"You don't know that." Detail insisted.

"Why are you being so difficult, Detail?!" Crystal growled. "You had no problems covering for me before!”

“You’re right, I have.” Detail scowled, “For years, I have covered for you. I helped you bury the evidence of all those murders, from the gardener, to your political rivals, and so many others. I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyways, because you were my friend… and you scared the living crap out of me. And I continued covering for you, even when you started to get into politics, helping you rig elections, deal with ‘problem ponies’... helping you cheat on your wife for crying out loud!”

He then gestured to Big Red and his family.

“But this?!” Detail demanded, “This isn’t killing one pony after another! You’re talking about killing an entire family! A family of innocent ponies and a griffon! Just so you could kill your brother?! Well, let me tell you something, Crystal! If that cherry farm of theirs anything to go on, they’re a pretty big part of Dodge Junction! If you killed them, this won’t just go away, like it did for the others!”

“Well, what do you suggest?!” Crystal challenged.

“Let’s just walk away!” Detail urged, “We’ll take that recording Sterling has on you and leave, and if we’re lucky, we might be able to save face. I’m telling you, not as your right-hand pony, but as your friend... none of this is worth the trouble. Sterling is not worth the trouble. Are you hearing me?”

"Yeah, I hear you." Crystal nodded, raising a hoof to his chin in contemplation.

'Never knew Detail had it in him.' Sterling thought, impressed.

"...You know, you're right." Crystal declared.

"Thank you!" Detail smiled, letting out a sigh of relief. "For once, good sense finally-"

"Oh no.” Crystal cut him off swiftly, “What I mean is this friendship of ours isn't worth all the trouble."

“Wait, wha-” Detail was interrupted by Crystal slamming the crossbow against his face. "Ugh!"

Sterling, the family, and even the other agents stared in shock, as Detail fell to the ground.

“You don’t! Tell me! What to do! You worthless! Piece of! Crap!” Crystal roared, emphasizing each yell with a kick, ending it with a hard kick to the stomach.

“Ohh…” Detali groaned, more bloody and bruised than he was to begin with.

“Now then…” Crystal huffed, glaring fiercely at the other guards, “Anypony else having a crisis of conscience over killing this family?!”

"No!" One guard replied.

"Not really." The second said nervously.

"I'm good." The third cringed.

“Good.” Crystal smiled, “Now, let’s get down to business. We wasted enough time already.”

“I don’t believe you!” Sterling snarled, “Every time I think you couldn’t sink any lower, you go and prove me wrong!”

“If that is your way of trying to sweet talk me into sparing all of you, it’s not working.” Crystal scoffed.

“Sweet talk?! You just beat up your best friend, the stallion who's stood by you since you were foals." Sterling pointed out. "What kind of twisted madpony does that?"

"The kind that lets nothing stand in the way of his victory." Crystal retorted, looking at Detail with great disdain, "Especially not dead weight."

“Do you actually think you’re going to get away with this?” Sterling scoffed, “Detail is right, you know. If you kill us, ponies aren’t just going to forget about us. They’re going to be real curious about how a whole family disappeared from their home one day.”

"Except that they'll find your corpse with them." Crystal needed. "They'll think you, a known criminal, killed them, and that Mr. Barrel-Roll here managed to take you down into the bargain."

"Too bad for you, ‘some’ ponies aren’t just going to leave it at that." Sterling retorted. "They'll dig deeper, and find the trail that leads to you. What then?"

"Please." Crystal scoffed. "I've spent half my life convincing ponies you were the evil one, and I wasn’t."

“You’re missing the point, Crystal!” Sterling taunted him fiercely, “There’s no scenario here where you’re going to get away with this! One way or another, ponies are gonna find the truth, and they’re going to come after you. You’re not going to get away, scot-free.”

“Well, it’s a little late for that.” Crystal growled, as he held up his free hoof, revealing a fresh bite mark, “When we were dragging all of you out of the house, that lousy mutt of theirs bit me! And now, I gonna have to make a lie about why I need a shot!”

“...What are ya talkin’ about?” Big Red asked, his anger giving way to confusion, “We don’t have a dog.”

“Really?!” Crystal snapped, “Then whose fat puppy did I kick?!”

“You monster!” Globe yelled, “You hurt Bolero!”

"Who's Bolero?" Big Red frowned.

"What are you talking about, Globe?" Cherry asked confused.

"I repeat: He. Bit. Me!" Crystal yelled back.

"Oh, poor Crystal." Sterling sneered. "Can't even handle a little puppy. No wonder you needed all these guys to carry out some messed up revenge plot."

"Shut up!" Crystal scowled, moving his face closer to Sterling's.

“Or what? You’re going to kill me either way.” Sterling smirked, “Might as well get it all out there!

The moment Crystal had beaten Detail up, Sterling had begun formulating a plan that would save all of them. All he needed to do was get Crystal angry enough that he would move in closer, so he could snatch the crossbow out of his hoof, and hold him at crossbowpoint. That alone should be enough to get his men to back off.

“I just about had it with you!” Crystal snarled, “I won’t be disrespected! Not by some worthless criminal!”

“Ooh, tough guy, aren’t you?” Sterling sneered. "So tough you needed sleeping gas to take us all out. Without it, you probably wouldn't have stood a chance against Cherry, never mind Red."

"You think I can't handle some over-the-hill housewife?" Crystal growled.

"I beg your pardon?!" Cherry yelled.

Crystal slightly, but noticeably, recoiled at Cherry's outburst.

"Oh-hoh!" Sterling cackled coldly. "Does this ever take me back! Reminds me of all those times mom gave a talking-to, and you just cowered before her like a wuss!"

"Shut up!" Crystal roared.

"You never could stand up to mom, so you went after Gold instead." Sterling continued. "You went after him, just to hurt her."

"I'm warning you..." Crystal snarled.

"All this time I thought I was a coward." Sterling admitted. "But you were the real one after all!"

"SHUT UP!!" Crystal roared, moving closer to Sterling.

'That's it...' Sterling thought. 'Just a little closer...'

"Boss!" One of Crystal's underlings yelled.

"What?!" Crystal rounded on him, moving away from Sterling.

"We got incoming!" The underling pointed at the sky.

A dark object was flying towards them.

'What now?' Sterling frowned.

Within seconds, the newcomer came into view. It was Lunard. He quickly descended on them, landing on three of his legs, his left front leg held up, talons bared.

"...Lunard?!” Sterling gaped.

"Dad?!" Eclipse gasped.

“‘Dad’?!” Sterling repeated, “This guy is your…” He then came to a shocking realization, as he recalled his and Eclipse’s conversation where his father was... ’Ohhh… buck.’

"What's he doin' here?" Big Red frowned. "Isn't he supposed tah be in prison?"

"Not any longer, it seems." Cherry noted.

"Just when you think things can't get any worse..." Huckleberry cringed.

"Please tell me this is just a nightmare..." Globe pleaded.

“Well, would you look at this?” Lunard grinned darkly, “I was just on my way to Dodge Junction, and what do I find on my way there?! The family and the guy I was looking for!”

“And who the hell are you?!” Crystal snarled.

“A guy who's looking for payback.” Lunard scowled, “I won’t bore you with details, but I’m here to kill that clown!” He pointed at Sterling.

“What?! But the month isn’t over yet!” Sterling protested.

“And I don’t care!” Lunard sneered, “It’s your fault for getting me into the Forefathers and not telling me they had this stupid ‘quota’ system or whatever! For that, I’m gonna kill you and reap the rewards!” He then glared at the family, “And then I'm gonna finally do away with the lot of you!”

“Hey, you’re not killing anypony!” Crystal snarled, “That honor goes to me and my troops! So get lost!”

"No-one tells me to get lost!" Lunard spat. "Least of all some hay-matching politician."

'Faust...This just keeps getting better and better.' Sterling scowled.

Back at Dodge Junction, Marshall was in his office, writing up some arrest reports, when Elite and Fury entered.

"Can I help you, gents?" Marshall asked.

"I am Elite Everest, and this is Fury Xaldin." Elite announced. "We are from the Royal Defense Legion, here on official business.”

“Royal Defense Legion… wait… you wouldn’t happen to be here for Sterling, are you?” Marshall asked.

Elite and Fury lit up in surprise.

"You know Sterling is here?" Elite frowned.

"Then why haven't you arrested him yet?" Fury asked. "Or let us know about it?"

"Because Sterling was staying with some friends of mine." Marshall defended himself. "I didn’t want to get them into trouble."

“Well, that’s all and good… but I fear that your friends and their family are in great danger.” Elite announced.

"Because of Sterling?" Marshall growled.

"Yeah, pretty much.” Fury nodded.

“Dammit, I knew this would happen.” Marshall groaned. "But Red didn't listen to me. He never listens to me..."

"Let's assign blame later." Elite urged. "For now, we must hurry to Big Red's abode. Would you be so kind as to lead us there?"

"Gladly." Marshall nodded. "Follow me, gents."

Marshall quickly led Elite and Fury to the homestead. When they arrived, they were horrified to find the place in shambles; the kitchen door had been busted down, and its window had been broken, with the empty gas canister lying on the floor near the kitchen table.

“What the…” Marshall gaped, “Did Sterling…”

"We're too late." Elite shook his head in dismay.

“Dammit!” Fury growled, “Crystal must've already got to them!"

“Crystal?” Marshall frowned, confused, “Who is Crystal?! I thought you guys were here for Sterling!”

"Crystal is Sterling's brother." Elite explained. "A Senator from their home country of Haygypt."

“And this goes without saying, but Crystal is just as bad as he is, if not worse!” Fury snarled, “If they’re gone, that means Crystal is going to kill them along with Sterling!”

"They're going to killed?!" Marshall yelled. "No... no!"

"Calm down, Sheriff." Elite urged.

"Yeah, because freaking out won't help much." Fury said contemptuously.

Just then, they heard a whimpering sound. From under the table, Bolero limped into view.

"Bolero?" Marshall frowned.

"You know this dog?" Fury asked.

"Yeah, he... kinda belongs to Globe, Red’s youngest. I seen him taking care of the pup for the past few months." Marshall revealed. "I'm guessing he must have followed Globe home for once, and tried to save him from being taken... without success." He grimaced, noting a bruise on the puppy's side, which was a clear indicator of the poor dog being kicked. "Poor thing..."

"Too bad he can't tell us where Crystal took them." Fury growled.

"He doesn't have to." Elite declared. "Look."

Fury and Marshall looked where Elite was pointing, and notices a trail of blood leading out of the house and off to the middle of the plains.

"I'd say it's a safe bet little Bolero made his mark before he was pushed aside." Elite smiled, picking Bolero up. "The little fellow was able to help his family after all."

"Well, what are we waiting for?" Marshall urged. "Let's get after them!"

"You read my mind." Fury smiled.

The group made their way out into the plains, following the blood trail.

Meanwhile, Crystal and Lunard were in a standoff.

“Are you deaf, bird-cat? Get lost!” Crystal roared.

“You’re the one that better get lost, punk!” Lunard snarled, “If you don’t get out of my way, you’ll die first!”

“Crystal, listen to me, don’t push this guy!” Sterling warned his brother, “You don’t want to make him angry, trust me!”

“NO!” Crystal snapped, “I am sick and tired of all these interruptions! Disobedient flunkies, meddling outsiders... I've had it! I don't care who I have to kill, as long as you get to die with them!” He turned to his guards, “Waste this bucker!”

One of the guards gave a hesitant nod as he approached the griffon, crossbow raised. Lunard, barely acknowledging him, thrust his claw forward… right through the guard’s chest.

"Hurk!" The guard grunted, as Lunard pulled his claw out, dropping the dead guard to the ground.

“What the…” Crystal’s jaw dropped.

“Oh crap…” Sterling whispered.

"Holy cherries!" Big Red gaped.

"Sweet Celestia!" Cherry gasped.

Eclipse and Huckleberry cringed in horror, while Globe averted his gaze.

The other guards were just as horrified.

"Did he just-?" One yelled.

“Yes. Yes he did.” Another whimpered.

“Don’t just stand there!” Crystal yelled, unable to mask his horror, “Open fire!”

The guards fired a volley of crossbow bolts at Lunard. Lunard didn't even try to dodge them. Each and every bolt embedded themselves in his body... And he barely even flinched.

"Are you seeing this!?" One guard gaped.

"This is impossible!" Another yelled.

"He's some kind of freak!" A third shrieked.

"Ouch." Lunard sneered. "My turn..."

Moving with surprising speed for his size, Lunard leapt at one guard and grabbed his head, snapping his neck in one quick move. The guard had barely hit the ground before Lunard moved onto the next, slitting his throat with one swipe. The last guard attempted to run, but Lunard grabbed his back leg, and crushed it in his grip.

"Arrrgh!" The guard screamed.

Lunard grabbed the guard's head and smashed it against a rock.

"Well, that was fun." Lunard dusted his talons, “Who’s next?!”

“No… you can’t do this…” Detail muttered, as he shakily got to his hooves, “You are not hurting Crystal on my watch…”

“Yes, I am.” Lunard retorted. He swung his talons like hammers, knocking Detail aside.

“AUGH!” Detail groaned, clutching his shoulder, which shattered upon landing on the hard ground.

"And then there was one..." Lunard approached Crystal, who was too scared to move. "You shoulda left when you had the chance, pal."

“N-no!” Crystal yelled, as with shaking hooves, he pointed his crossbow at him, “Stay back! I’m warning you!”

“Oh, do go ahead!” Lunard taunted, pulling out a few bolts that were still stuck in him, “If your worthless mooks’ bolts didn’t faze me, surely you will do so much better!”

"Get away from him, you idiot!" Sterling yelled at Crystal, as he made to stand up.

"Stay down, Sterling!" Crystal ordered. "I mean it!"

"I've had enough of this." Lunard growled, continuing his march to Crystal.

"A-and I've had enough of you!" Crystal yelled, firing the crossbow.

The bolt struck Lunard right in the forehead.

“GRARGH!” Lunard roared, clutching his forehead, recoiling a bit… but he soon stopped, as he pulled out the bolt, as he glared at Crystal, his face twisting in unequine-like fury, “You… you…”

With a cold chill, Sterling recognized the rage that had overtaken Lunard’s beak… it was the same kind of rage that somepony else had… before she severed his hoof with a chainsaw.

“Crystal, RUN!” Sterling screamed.

"Rarrrgh!" Lunard charged at Crystal with madness in his eyes.

“Dad, no!” Eclipse screeched.

"Please, don't..." Crystal pleaded, about to make a run for it.

But it was too late: before anypony could react, Lunard rammed one of his talons through Crystal's chest.

"Urk!" Crystal gurgled.

"No..." Sterling whispered, overcome by both horror and anguish.

Lunard threw Crystal across the sands. He landed not far from Sterling.

"Crystal..." Sterling choked. "You should've listened to me."

“No… no…” Crystal shuddered, in absolute shock, “I-I don’t wanna die. Not like this… this is worse than how Gold…”

A part of Sterling wanted so much to gloat in his face, to tell him that he was getting exactly what he deserved… but as Crystal laid there dying, so did the words in his throat.

"Try to save your strength." He instructed. "It'll be easier for you that way..."

"Heh... at least now, you'll never get the chance to kill me..." Crystal wheezed. His final laugh hissed out his throat as he finally passed.

Sterling looked down at his brother's dead body, a mix of unexpected feelings running through him.

'I didn't want you dead, Crystal.' He thought. 'Not for a long time...'

With the minor obstacle neutralized, Lunard, in his rage, set his eyes on Eclipse, who stood aghast by his actions.

"What's the matter, boy?" He snarled, his voice teetering on the edge of demonic, as he approached his son. "Aren't you glad to see your dad again?"

“You’re not my father…” Eclipse said, out of defiance and fear, “You… you murdered all these ponies. You’re a monster!”

“You ungrateful little buck!” Lunard snarled, “I’m gonna make you rue the day you came into my life and crossed me!”

"Leave 'im alone!" Big Red tried to step in between them.

"You won't interfere this time, you old fossil!" Lunard roared, slamming his front paws against the old stallion, knocking him back a good few feet.

"Urgh!" Big Red groaned, his hat flying off him.

“Red!” Cherry cried.

"Pa!" Eclipse yelped.

In an instant, Lunard grabbed Eclipse by the neck, hoisting him up, as he began to choke him.

"Don't you ever call him that again." He snarled. "As a matter of fact, you won't be saying anything ever again..."

Meanwhile, Elite, Fury and Marshall had hit a little snag; the blood trail had gone cold.

"It just stopped?" Fury frowned.

"How?" Marshall asked, confused.

"Hard to say." Elite mused. "It seems as though the wounded party was able to patch himself up. But why they didn't do that earlier is beyond me."

“Well, that’s just flappin’ perfect.” Fury scowled, “So now we have no idea where to…” He suddenly trailed off.

“Where to what?” Marshall frowned.

Fury stood there, as if he was overcome by a odd sensation. His eyes began to wisp in a flickering fashion, his wings twitched, his eyes narrowed, and talons tightened… then Fury’s face began to develop a very angered expression...

"Fury?" Elite asked. "Are you alright?"

Giving no sign he had even heard Elite, Fury suddenly ran off in a seemingly random direction.

"What the- where's he going?!" Marshall frowned.

"Only one way to find out." Elite declared. "Let's get moving."

The two tried to follow, but Fury already a big head start.

Out in the plains, Sterling looked down at Crystal's dead body. He grit his teeth angrily. Then he heard the sounds of Eclipse choking.

"Guh... Gak!" Eclipse gagged.

"You..." Sterling snarled, glaring hatefully at Lunard. "No more killing, you monster!"

Sterling charged at Lunard, putting his full into a tackle, but he barely made the brute flinch. Lunard, for his part, wasn't even phased.

"Wait your turn." Lunard said coldly. "I'll deal with you just as soon as I'm disciplinin' my boy."

"Flap... you!" Eclipse wheezed, struggling to break Lunard's grip.

"Leave him alone!" Sterling started, punching Lunard for all he was worth. But the blows had little effect, even the strikes from his strong hoof.

As Eclipse's air supply steadily ran out, his eyes started rolling into the back of their sockets.

"No... no... no!" Sterling screamed, desperately striking Lunard over and over.

"Okay, now you're getting annoying." Lunard threw a punch that struck Sterling right in the jaw, sending him scraping into the sand. Satisfied, Lunard smirked at Eclipse. "Almost done now..."

Globe and Huckleberry could only watch in silent horror. Cherry, tending to a dazed Big Red (who had suffered serious bruises to his midsection), could barely watch. Sterling struggled to get back up.

'No... can't let him do this...' He groaned, ’Can’t have anymore… ponies die… because of me…’

Suddenly, a spear slammed itself into Lunard's back. Due to his body becoming stronger, it didn't stick, but it left a nasty cut, and hurt a lot.

"Gah!" Lunard grunted in pain, dropping Eclipse.

"Huhhh!" Eclipse gasped for air.

“What the-” Sterling gaped.

"Who did that?!" Lunard turned around.

"I did!"

Lunard and everypony else were shocked to see the owner of the voice: It was Fury, who looked angrier than he'd ever been, marching towards them. His wisps were coming from his eyes full force.

"You think I wouldn't find you, Lunard?!" Fury snarled.

"You..." Lunard hissed, seeming to recognize the Nightcrawler griffon.

"You had to know this day was coming!" Fury glared at him. "Or did you actually believe I'd forget about what you did to Dawn?!”

“...D-dawn?” Eclipse murmured, as he slowly got up to see the angry griffon.

"That floozy got what was coming to her." Lunard snorted contemptuously.

"Don't you dare talk about her like that!" Fury snarled.

"Why not?" Lunard sneered. "Does that make you angry?! Gonna do something about it?!"

"Oh, you better believe I will!" Fury snarled, as another spear materialized in his claw.

“What in the world…” Cherry whispered.

“Is that…” Big Red frowned, “Dark magic?”

“A Nightcrawler griffon?” Sterling gaped, “...That’s something you don’t see everyday.”

"Give it your best shot!" Lunard sneered. "You see, I've changed a little since we last saw each other. The Forefathers pumped me full of this ‘Super Soldier Serum’ stuff, and now I'm invincible!"

"We'll see about that." Fury snarled.

"Yeah, we will!" Lunard charged at Fury.

Fury stood fast as Lunard charged him. At the last second, he dodged Lunard's strike, swinging his spear to meet the side of Lunard's head, cutting into his skin.

"Grr!" Lunard growled. "You'll pay for that!"

Lunard suddenly grabbed the spear, using it to lift up Fury and slam him on the ground, chucking aside the spear.

"Ugh!" Fury grunted.

Lunard made to slam his fist onto Fury's skull, but Fury leapt away just in time.

"You always were full of hot air, Lunard." He taunted. "Speaking of which..."

Spreading his talons, and tapping into his dark magic, Fury generated little twisters of sand. With the flick of his wrists, the small yet powerful winds, combined with the coarse grains, created more cuts in Lunard's face.

"Rrr!" Lunard shielded himself with his front legs. "You coward! Hiding behind those freaky tricks!"

"Look who's talking." Fury sneered. "You let them turn you into a juiced-up monster. Then again, you were always a monster, so who can tell?"

"They won't be able to tell your beak from your tail when I'm through with you!" Lunard roared, forcing his way through the windstorm on sheer determination alone.

Once he got close enough, he grabbed Fury, trying to crush with his sheer brute strength. But Fury retaliated with a kick to the face, freeing himself. But Lunard quickly recovered, and sent him flying with a headbutt.

"Ugh!" Fury grunted as he was sent flying.

Before he hit the ground, Fury opened his wings, using the momentum from the headbutt to fly around and tackle Lunard, jabbing his spear into his stomach as he did.

"Grahhh!" Lunard stumbled backwards. "You flappin'..."

Lunard punched Fury hard, sending him flying. Fury managed to stop him by sticking his spear into the ground, gradually slowing his movement. Without skipping a beat, he charged back at Lunard.

"Back for more?" Lunard spat.

Fury swung his spear at Lunard, who parried with his thrown fists. As Lunard lunged forward, Fury sidestepped him, and thrust his spear into Lunard's wing, impaling it.

"Yaaarrgh!" Lunard snarled. He clamped a talon around Fury's neck. "Big mistake!"

"My... Thoughts... Exactly!" Fury wheezed.

Twisting his spear, Fury broke Lunard's wing.

"GAHHH!!" Lunard screamed, releasing his grip on Fury.

Fury took advantage of his new freedom by falling back a short distance.

"You are going to pay for that!" Lunard roared.

"I'm the one dealing out the payback." Fury retorted. "That was just the first installment."

"And the last!" Lunard charged forward.

The fight continued, Fury matching Lunard's brute strength and toughness with his speed and powers. Meanwhile, Sterling, still regaining his bearings, watched the battle with awe.

’Faust… whoever this new guy is, he’s good…’ He admitted, ’Question is, will he be able to kill someone who’s been doped on that serum?’

Fury and Lunard were currently at a stand-still.

"Ready to give up, runt?" Lunard taunted. "I promise to make your death quick."

"Yeah?" Fury jeered. "Because I promise to make your death as slow and painful as possible."

“You’re stupid if you think you can beat me!” Lunard snarled, “Thanks to the serum the Forefathers gave me, I never get tired, and I never get weak!"

"Then I guess it's time to get creative..." Fury mused, producing more spears.

"It doesn't matter how many of those over-sized butter knives you throw at me." Lunard taunted. "They can barely make a scratch! I'm invincible!"

"Wanna bet..." Fury smirked.

Fury flung several of his spears at Lunard. Some made their mark, sticking into Lunard, while Lunard managed to bat some away. Following up, Fury charged forward at Lunard, slamming himself into the bigger griffon.

“Grr…” Lunard withstood the blow, digging his talons and paws into the ground. With a grin, he taunted, “Was that your best shot?!”

“No, that was just a distraction.” Fury sneered, “Highwind Technique Go!”

At that moment, out of thin air, four spears dived downward, slamming straight into Lunard’s paws and talons, pinning him to the ground.

"Gahhh!" Lunard roared.

"Whattaya think of my 'over-sized butter knives' now?" Fury jeered.

"You little..." Lunard hissed, trying in vain to free his paws.

“Now then… let’s have us some fun!” Fury snarled, cracking his talons.

What followed was a vicious barrage of attacks, as Fury punched, kicked and slashed at the incapacitated Lunard. Multiple bruises, cuts and lesions emerged on Lunard's body, a commentary of how badly Fury was beating him. As tough as he was, Lunard was quickly overcome by the onslaught, his regenerative ability being overtaxed from the unrelenting blows… not that he dared showed it to the smaller griffon.

“Is that the best you’ve got, you freak?!” Lunard taunted, spitting blood from his cracked, and bloody beak.

"Not even close." Fury retorted.

Fury struck again and again, harder and harder, until finally, Lunard’s top beak, having withstood several beatdowns, including two cracks caused by one Black Knight and Big Red, was unable to withstand the brunt of Fury’s wrath and was smashed… clean off.

"ARRRGGGHH!" Lunard screeched in mortified agony.

Big Red and his family stared in horror, Cherry and Globe looking like they were going to throw up.

'By Faust...' Sterling gaped, both amazed and disgusted.

"Try smilin' now, scum." Fury sneered, “I betcha it’s an improvement!”

"Yooo..." Lunard slurred through his broken beak.

With a supreme effort, Lunard forced one of his talons up the spear, then twisted, breaking the spear in half. He then freed his other appendages, one by one. With only half a beak and matching holes in his paws and talons, he limped toward Fury, intent on finishing him.

"Yooo... dieee..." He snarled, his rage pushing him to kill his hated enemy despite his injuries.

"You big spoilsport." Fury chided. "Those spears were perfectly placed… but no matter…” He held out a talon, as another spear materialized in it, “Because I just thought of the perfect place for this one. Right... here!"

Fury suddenly thrust his spear through the opening where Lunard's top beak was.

"Hurrr!" Lunard gasped, as his rage in his eyes faded, and his body grew limp.

With a huff, Fury pulled his spear back, leaving the griffon to drop to the ground, dead.

'Whoa...' Sterling gaped.

Fury glared down at Lunard’s body. Despite having slain his foe, the griffon felt unsatisfied… and out of impulsion, Fury let out a snarl as he began stabbing the dead griffon with his already bloody spear.

"Take! That! You! Filthy! Piece! Of!" He spat with each stab.

“Hey, hey, that’s enough!” Big Red stepped in, still a little sore from his bruises, grabbing Fury’s shoulder, “Ah don’t know who ya are, or what feud ya had with Lunar,d but he’s dead. Ain't no point in beatin' up a corpse."

Fury glared at the red stallion… only for his glare to soften, as his spear disappeared.

“Okay, I guess you’re right…” Fury admitted. He stepped away from Lunard's body... then briefly returned and kicked him one last time.

The rest of the family, including a confused Eclipse, approached Fury.

"An' who are you?" Cherry asked him.

“My name is Fury Xaldin.” Fury declared, “I'm with the RDL…” He glanced around, “Are you all alright?”

“We are now, thanks to you.” Big Red nodded, “But what’s somecreature from the RDL doing out here?”

“Looking for him.” Fury glared at Sterling.

“Wait… you’re here for Sterling?” Globe asked, “Why?”

“I think I know…” Eclipse frowned, as Sterling joined them.

'Just my luck... I get this family in trouble with one pony I didn't want to see again, only to be saved by the other ponies I didn't want to see...' Sterling grimaced, noting the look of apathy on Fury's face as he approached them, 'Well, I was gonna have to face the music eventually. Better them than the Forefathers.'

"Hey, everybody..." Sterling said awkwardly, "I'm really sorry about this." He turned to Fury, "Thanks for the save. Never thought I'd be glad to see a RDL agent."

"Whatever." Fury said coldly, "Consider yourself lucky that the director wanted to talk with you... or else we'd be having a different conversation."

"Director..." Sterling repeated... before realizing who exactly he meant, "Wait, you don't mean..."

"Fury!"

As they turned to look, they saw Elite and Marshal racing over. Sterling suddenly felt dread in his stomach.

"Marshall?" Cherry gaped.

"Red! Cherry! Kids!" Marshall gasped, "Are you all alright? None of you are hurt, are you?"

"We're fine, pal." Big Red nodded, wincing from his bruised midsection, "A little scrape here and there, but we're okay."

"Oh, thank Faust…" Marshall shook his head.

"Arf! Arf!" Bolero barked, leaping out of Elite's hoof and raced toward Globe.

"Bolero!" Globe hugged him. "You're okay!"

"Fury, what the hell happened?" Elite asked, as he surveyed the death around him.

"I'm not entirely sure." Fury admitted, but he glared at Lunard's body, "But if I had to take a guess, Lunard, on the Forefathers' order, wanted a piece of Sterling too, and revenge on Red and his family. They clearly had a disagreement… and Lunard won."

"Dammit…" Elite grunted, "Such a waste…"

"Ugh..." Detail groaned, finally regaining consciousness.

"Hey now, we got a live one here." Fury frowned.

"Oh… what happened?" Detail groaned, as he struggled to his hooves. As he looked up, he noticed the new ponies and griffon that arrived on scene, "Who are you guys?!"

"We could ask you the same thing." Marshall glared, "Considerin' your dead boss and compadres tried to kill my friends!"

"Boss…" Detail murmured, before lighting up, "Wait, Crystal, where is-" He then noticed Crystal's body, lying on the ground, "Crystal! Is he-"

"I'm afraid so." Sterling finished, guilt clear on his face, "I'm sorry, Detail."

"Oh, Faust…" Detail groaned, "This can't be happening, this can't- AUGH!" Detail clutched his shoulder.

"We should probably get you some medical treatment." Elite frowned.

"That would be nice." Detail cringed.

Sterling turned to face Big Red and his family.

"Like I was saying before, I'm sorry." He declared. "I never meant for any of this to happen."

"Well, it did." Marshall scowled. "All of this happened because of you. "

"Knock that off, Marshall." Big Red frowned. "Sterling just saw his own brother die!"

"A brother who just tried to kill all of you." Marshall growled. "Your lives would never have been in danger today if he hadn't come into them."

"That's enough, Marshall." Cherry declared.

"Is it, though?" Marshall asked. "You almost died! Not to mention the psychological scars on your kids."

"I've seen worse." Eclipse tried to put on a tough front.

Huckleberry nodded silently, while Globe held Bolero tightly.

"Perhaps we should take this conversation back to Mr. Barrel-Roll's homestead." Elite chimed in. "So we can have a long chat." He turns to the stallion whom he was looking for, with a firm glance, "What do you say... Sterling?"

Sterling looked back at Crystal's body, overcome by grief.

"Yeah." He heard himself saying. "Let's talk."

"Excellent." Elite nodded. "Shall we?"

The group made their way out of the plains, leaving all of the death and destruction behind them.