• Published 27th Jan 2017
  • 706 Views, 60 Comments

Tainted Silver - Bluecatcinema



The history of Sterling Cross, revealed at last.

  • ...
2
 60
 706

Encouragement

The rest of the week passed by without incident. Sterling settled in further to his new living arrangements, getting better and better at bucking cherries, and continuing to visit Bolero with the brothers (with their parents still being none the wiser).

"There's a good boy." He smiled one morning, as he fed the eager puppy some table scraps. "Don't ever say your uncle Sterling never gave you anything."

Bolero, having finished his food, rolled on his back, and let Sterling rub his tummy.

"Look at you, Mr. puppy whisperer." Huckleberry snorted. "Maybe when you're done here, you could take a job as a dog-sitter."

"That's not such a bad idea, kid." Sterling admitted. "Maybe I should've tried that when I had the chance..." He muttered under his breath.

"Huh?" Globe frowned.

"Oh, nothing." Sterling shrugged. "just thinking aloud."

"We should head back." Eclipse noted. "It's almost time for lunch. Then it's bucking cherries in the orchard."

"Yep." Sterling smirked. "You'd better watch out, kid. I've been getting the hang of that job. Don't be surprised if I can keep up with the three of you this time."

"That'll be the day." Eclipse snorted.

"Yeah, today." Sterling grinned. "Just wait and see."

"Keep dreaming, drifter." Eclipse sneered. "You're never gonna catch up to us."

"We'll see about, salt 'n' pepper." Sterling shot back.

"Come on, guys." Globe groaned. "Just once, can't you at least try and get along?"

"One of us does." Sterling smirked.

"Oh, yeah?" Eclipse growled. "Well-"

"Eclipse..." Globe growled.

"Sure, whatever." Eclipse sighed. "Sorry, Sterling."

"No prob, kid." Sterling smiled charitably. "No hard feelings?"

"Yeah, sure." Eclipse said flatly.

"There, that wasn't so hard, was it?" Globe grinned.

"Now that little moment of drama's done, what say we head home?" Huckleberry asked. "Lunch won't eat itself."

"You got that right." Globe gave Bolero one last pat on the head. "See you tomorrow, boy."

Bolero licked Globe's hoof in goodbye.

"After you, Sterling." Eclipse urged, intent on not upsetting Globe through their continued animosity.

"Not for much longer..." Sterling said under his breath.

The group made their way back to the homestead, where Cherry's desert rose casserole was waiting for them. They eagerly wolfed it down, especially Sterling. Despite his initial despite of Cherry, Sterling was starting to gain an appreciation for her homemaking skills.

'She's a great cook, I'll give her that.' He admitted. 'And not so bad at the caring side of motherhood, either...' He rubbed his shoulders, the wounds he'd been given by Eclipse still patched up nicely. 'Too bad my own mother couldn't have been more like her.'

"Ev'rythin' okay, Sterling?" Big Red asked. "Yer kinda spacin' out over there."

"I'm fine." Sterling said kindly. "Just... y'know, daydreaming."

"Well, try not to daydream too much." Cherry admonished him. "Or your casserole will go cold."

"And I'd hate that." Sterling declared. "Seriously, this is some great stuff, Cherry."

"Oh, well... thank you, Sterling." Cherry smiled, surprised by Sterling's sincere compliment. "It's always nice to know my hard work is appreciated..."

Sterling filled his mouth with more casserole, sheepish from his display of gratitude.

'Better watch yourself, Sterling.' He told himself. 'Don't want miss strict thinking you've gone soft...'

"Suck-up." Eclipse muttered under his breath, just loud enough for Sterling to hear.

'Lousy kid.' Sterling thought. 'I want to get along with him, for Globe's sake. But he's making it really hard...'

After lunch, they went out to orchard to continue cherry bucking. Sterling's improved skills were proven by the end of the day, where he managed to fill five whole bushels with cherries (his personal best so far).

"Boom!" He smirked. "How d'ya like me now?"

"Nice work, Sterling." Big Red grinned. "Ya've really gotten the hang a' this."

"Yeah, way to go, Sterling." Globe smiled.

"Talk about an up-and-comer." Huckleberry agreed.

"Eh, not bad." Eclipse said grudgingly.

As they carried the cherries back to the barn, Sterling took pride in a job well done.

'It's been a long time since I've actually felt good about my work.' He noted. 'A very long time... plus, I get to reap the rewards...'

With every passing day, Sterling gained more pay for his work in the cherry orchard. Little by little, he was gaining the funds he needed to get out of the country before the month was up.

'I'm getting there.' Sterling thought that night, as he counted his income. 'It's gonna be close, but I should have enough cash to bail outta here before Father can send a killing squad after me. I really don't want Red and his family getting caught in the crossfire. Not after everything Red's done for me.' He sadly recalled two ponies who had suffered much due to being close to him. 'And I've ruined enough lives already. No need for a repeat performance...'

The following morning, not long after breakfast, there was a knock at the door.

"I got it!" Huckleberry called.

Huckleberry opened the door, revealing his marefriend, Prairie.

"Hey, handsome." Prairie smiled.

"Hey yourself, pretty lady." Huckleberry beamed, giving her a kiss. "What's up?"

"Oh, nothing." Prairie shrugged. "I just thought I'd drop by, and spend some time with my handsome coltfriend."

"Can't really argue with that logic." Sterling chuckled, embracing her. "And seeing you always brightens up my day."

"Good to know." Prairie teased. "Hate to think I've come all the way out here for nothing."

At that moment, Sterling, on his way downstairs from washing up, came across the pair.

"Am I interrupting something?" He smirked, causing the two to break apart, embarrassed. "Who's this?" He asked, taking note of Prairie.

"Oh, hey, Sterling." Huckleberry blushed. "This is Prairie, my marefriend. Prairie, this is Sterling Cross, our... houseguest."

"Hello." Prairie nodded politely, though still a little flustered. "Nice to meet you, sir."

"So this is the Prairie I've heard so much about?" Sterling appraised her. "Gotta hand it to ya, kid. You're really hitting above your weight with this one."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Huckleberry frowned.

"Seriously?" Sterling snorted. "Just look at her. That's one fine-looking little filly. The idea that you could get a gal like that is nothing short of unbelievable!"

"Oh, is it?" Huckleberry scowled, offended. "You don't think I could get a girl like Prairie?"

"Not unless she's into charity cases." Sterling smirked.

Both Huckleberry and Prairie glared at Sterling... who then burst out laughing.

"I'm kiddin'!" He snorted. "Seriously, though, kid, congrats. You're one lucky guy."

"I know." Huckleberry nuzzled Prairie.

"No, I'm the lucky one." Prairie said lovingly.

"And that's my cue to skidoo." Sterling rolled his eyes. "If this little scene gets any sweeter, I'll get a toothache."

"Nice meeting you, Sterling." Prairie declared.

"You too." Sterling nodded.

As he walked into the living room, Sterling felt another pang of regret. As it was with Big Red and Cherry, seeing Huckleberry and Prairie so in love reminded him of a past he would have rather stayed forgotten.

'So much love in the world.' He thought glumly, as he saw Huckleberry and Prairie leaving for town through the living room window. 'But none for me. No, I don't deserve it. Not after what I've done...'

While Sterling sat on the couch, feeling sorry for himself, Big Red entered the room.

"Hey, Sterling." Big Red declared. "What's up? Ya look like a cactus coyote with no spines."

"Oh, it's nothing." Sterling lied. "Just... bored."

"Ya don't say..." Big Red mused. "Ah wuz jest headin' inta town ta get a drink at the bar. Ya wanna come with?"

"Sure, why not?" Sterling sighed. He was in no mood to argue, and drowning his sorrows seemed like a good idea. "Let's go."

"That's the spirit." Big Red smiled. "Cherry, Sterling an' me are poppin' out fer a while!"

"Okay!" Cherry called. "Just be back for lunch, you two!"

"Gladly." Big Red chuckled. "Come on, Sterling."

"Right behind you, Red." Sterling said listlessly.

The two stallions left the homestead, and made their way into town. Red shared a few "hellos" with passers-by. Thankfully, Sterling still wasn't well-known enough for most of them to recognise him.

'The last thing I need right now is mindless small talk.' He thought to herself.

The two entered the local saloon. Several other ponies were inside, some playing cards, other talking amongst themselves.

"Morning, Red." The bartender, a dirty green stallion with a brown mane and pale blue eyes by the name of Suds, smiled as Big Red and Sterling approached the bar. "What'll it be?"

"A couple a' sarsaparillas, thanks, Suds." Big Red grinned.

"Comin' right up." Suds nodded.

Suds passed two bottles of sarsaparilla to Big Red and Sterling. Big Red eagerly gulped his down, while Sterling sipped it slowly.

"Ah, that's the stuff." Big Red grinned. "Same again, please."

"You got it." Suds chuckled.

Sterling continued drinking from the bottle, his woes still with him.

'So much for drowning my sorrows...' He thought bitterly, looking out across the saloon at all the patrons, who looked like they didn't have a care in the world. 'Those ponies don't know how lucky they are. They don't have to worry about their former associates hunting them down. About having to spend the rest of their lives running from friend and foe alike...'

Just then, the saloon doors opened, and a beautiful Earth Pony mare entered. She had a gleaming white coat, a long blonde mane, green eyes, and a shooting star Cutie Mark. She was also wearing a denim vest and stetson. Sterling especially took note of her slender body and gorgeous face.

'Whoa.' Sterling thought, his jaw dropping in awe. 'Who is this angel?'

The mare turned in Sterling's direction. His heart skipped a beat as she seemed to smile at him.

"Red!" The mare called. "Big Red!"

Sterling's face fell slightly, as he realized she was smiling in Big Red's direction.

'Of course...' He winced.

Big Red turned to look at the newcomer, and smiled widely.

"Star!" He chuckled, as the mare approached. "How ya been, kiddo?"

"No complaints here, big guy." The mare hugged him.

"How long have you been back in town?" Big Red asked.

"I just arrived." The mare admitted. "I came off the train, and figured I could wet my whistle. Then I ran into you."

"Pretty lucky, huh?" Big Red grinned. "We only jest arrived ourselves." He indicated Sterling.

"Hey there." Sterling smiled. "Nice to make your acquaintance. Real nice..."

"Red, aren't you going to introduce me to your handsome new friend?" The mare asked, a coy smile on her lips.

"Oh, right." Big Red said sheepishly. "Star, this is Sterling Cross. He's staying with mah family at the homestead. Sterling, this is Shooting Star, Marshall's sister."

"Hi." Shooting Star smiled. "Nice to meet you, Sterling."

'She's Marshall's sister?' Sterling gazed at her in shock. 'Guess now I know where all the looks in the family went...'

"Uh... hello?" Shooting Star said awkwardly, waving a hoof in front of Sterling's face. "Anypony home?"

"Oh!" Sterling yelped, a little more loudly than he'd intended to. "Hello. I'm Sterling... but you already know that."

"That's a relief." Shooting Star snickered. "I thought you were broken for a second there."

"Sorry." Sterling cringed. "It's just... I've met your brother, and I'm sure not seeing the family resemblance..."

"Yeah, I get that a lot." Shooting Star chuckled. "You must be new around here."

"Yeah." Sterling nodded. "Just... passing by, though. Red was kind enough to take me in for a while."

"Classic Red." Shooting Star shook her head. "Always takin' in strays."

'Strays?' Sterling frowned. '...Okay, maybe she has a point there...'

"Ah gotta do the right thing, y'know?" Big Red shrugged.

"So... I'm guessing you live outside this charming little town?" Sterling asked, leaning against the bar.

"I kinda live all over the place." Shooting Star shrugged.

"How do you mean?" Sterling asked.

"Star here's a country western musician." Big Red revealed. "She's been on tours all over the place."

"Really?" Sterling mused. "I've always kinda been a fan of country western music."

"No kidding?" Shooting Star smiled.

"Yeah." Sterling nodded. "I've listened to all the greats: Bailey Rein Cyrus, Dolly Baaton... But I haven't been able to indulge in it much lately. I've been... kinda busy."

"Well, lucky for you, I'll be holding a little concert at the end of the week." Shooting Star declared. "Maybe you could drop by."

"If you sing half as beautiful as you look, I'm there." Sterling found himself replying. The second the words slipped out of his mouth, he became mortified.

’Aw, buck.’ Sterling cringed.

"Smooth." Shooting Star rolled her eyes. "Sorry to burst your bubble, but I've heard better pick-up lines than that in my day."

"Look, that came out wrong.” Sterling frowned. “I didn't mean-"

"Forget about it." Shooting Star chuckled. "I've heard worse lines in my day, too."

"I'm really not that kind of stallion." Sterling declared. "Believe me, I'm not some cheesy pick-up artist."

"Oh, I can tell." Shooting Star smiled. "Any stallion Big Red chooses to be friends with has got to be a class act."

"Ah, shucks..." Big Red grinned.

"So like I said, you should drop by my concert." Shooting Star told Sterling. "I'd sure like to get your opinion on my music."

"Sure." Sterling gives an awkward smile. "Sounds... great."

"I'd love to stay and chat some more, but I promised Marshall I'd check in as soon as I got back." She gave Sterling a wink. "See ya around, Sterling."

"Yeah." Sterling nodded. "See ya."

"Later, Red." Shooting Star added, as she turned to leave.

"Always a pleasure, Star." Big Red nodded.

Sterling watched Shooting Star leave, unable to take his eyes off her. Big Red, of course, couldn't help but notice the look on his face.

"Ah know that look." Big Red smirked. "Ah'm thinkin' ya'll have taken a likin' tah Star."

"What?!" Sterling spluttered, snapped out of his thrall. "Seriously? Not even close, old timer."

"Really?" Big Red smirked. "Yer gonna jest sit here an' tell me ya don't find her jest a mite attractive?"

"She is pretty cute." Sterling admitted. "Still can't believe she's Marshall's sister..."

"Ah don't think Marshall is gonna look kindly on you thinkin' that." Big Red declared. "He's always been a li'l overprotective of her."

"Yeah, that would really stick in his craw." Sterling smirked, imagining Marshall's reaction. "But still... I'm not gonna be stickin' around too long. I shouldn't try anything with her."

"Why not?" Big Red asked. "Ah think she likes you too."

"I'm not her type, trust me." Sterling sighed. "I've... had bad luck with mares in the past."

"Well, that's no reason not tah try again." Big Red declared. "Ya gotta have faith that ya'll do better next time."

"Not likely." Sterling snorted. "Besides, I'll be leaving soon, and I... really don't know when I'll be passing by this town again. Wouldn't be right to string her along like that. I made that mistake once already..."

"Come on, Sterling." Big Red smiled. "Yer a good stallion. Any mare'd be lucky to be with ya. Ya jest gotta believe that yerself."

"Yeah, maybe..." Sterling took another sip of sarsaparilla. 'You're the good stallion here, Red. Encouraging me, believing in me. Reminds of another old, wise stallion I used to know...'

Many years ago...

Sterling was lying on his bed, Ward curled up by his side. A radio on the bedside table was playing a country western music song. Sterling had always loved country western (much to his parents' disdain… well, his mother at least), and had tuned in to the station, hoping it would help him feel better about things. Unfortunately, it didn't.

Working 9 to 5
What a way to make a livin'

Barely gettin' by
It's all takin'
And no givin'

They just use your mind
And they never give you credit
It's enough to drive you
Crazy if you let it...

'So basically, either I'm going to die on my next mission, or watch all my teammates die instead, and be completely powerless to stop it.' He thought morosely. 'Some job this is...'

At that moment, there was a knock at the door.

"Sterling, may I come in?" Loveless's voice asked.

"Now's not a good time, Loveless." Sterling retorted, switching off the radio.

"I'm sorry, but I must insist." Loveless declared, opening the door.

"Sure, come right in." Sterling groaned, sitting up. "It's not like my day can get any worse."

“Look, I’m aware your first mission wasn't everything you expected it to be." Loveless admitted.

“You think?” Sterling grunted. “When you told me that coming with you would be the hardest thing I've ever done, you didn’t say anything about how often ponies die here!”

“Well, it isn’t something we like to lead with when seeking out new recruits.” Loveless shrugged, “Trust me, if we posted our mortality rates, no pony would join.”

"Yeah, no kidding." Sterling snorted. "The only ponies who would join up would be those those with death wishes."

“It is true, our work is rather dangerous,” Loveless sighed, “However, a cause like ours must be fought for, and yes, died for.”

"Maybe you should have told me that before I took that lousy oath." Sterling glared. "Now I'm stuck here, having to go on missions, fearing that the next one will be my last. And considering how badly my first mission went, something tells me that's a strong possibility..."

"Don't look at it that way, Sterling." Loveless told him.

"Oh, yeah?" Sterling scoffed. "Then how should I look at it?"

"You survived, Sterling." Loveless pointed out. "Alone among the team we sent, you survived."

"Yeah, barely." Sterling sighed. "And I had to look at the bloody corpses of the ones who didn't..."

"I know how that feels." Loveless frowned. "I have seen many comrades fall, right before my eyes. Too many to count, in fact..."

"How the hell do you cope with that?" Sterling asked. "You see your fellow agents die day after day... how does it not drive you crazy?"

"As cold as it sounds, you get used to it." Loveless declared morosely.

"So when I kick the bucket, you won't care much, right?" Sterling grimaced.

"Of course I will." Loveless assured. "Every agent who fell in the line of the duty is remembered for their valiant sacrifice."

"So before long, I'll just be a name on a wall." Sterling scowled. "Yippee..."

“Look, I’m not going to sugarcoat it.” Loveless frowned. “The mortality rate for agents is quite high. And you’re right, the next mission could be your last… however, you shouldn’t act as if it is your death sentence.”

"Why not?" Sterling shrugged. "I'm just some rookie who barely knows what I'm doing..."

"As was I, once." Loveless declared.

"Except you've got what it takes to survive." Sterling pouted. "So does Jetstream. But I don't."

“Sterling, do you think me and Jetstream were born into our roles?” Loveless asked. “All the Ouroboros you had seen that day when you took the oath? They were all like you at one point in time. So was Jetstream and I. We were all greenhorns, hoping for a better life, just like you. We all faced lethal odds. We had seen many things, things we wish we could unsee. Heck, I can’t tell you how many times I came close to biting the bolt in all my years…”

“...If this is supposed to make me feel better, I’m not sure it’s working.” Sterling deadpanned.

“The point I’m trying to make is that we survived.” Loveless declared firmly. “And we continued to survive, to this very day. By the use of willpower, determination, courage, and the ability to know the best place to stand in the middle of a bloodbath so your cloak doesn't get stained, I stand before you, an Ouroboros, highest rank under Father himself.”

"Well, that’s good and all, but that’s you." Sterling sneered. "From where I’m standing, I don't think I'll last 'til the end of the week."

"Sterling, there is no doubt in my mind that you have what it takes to survive." Loveless declared. "That you have both the skill and the strength to overcome these odds. You just have to have faith in yourself."

“You don’t understand!” Sterling scowled sadly, turning away. “...When I was in that subway station, with all those thugs, I panicked! I'd never been so scared in my life! I could barely point my crossbow, let along fire it! If I barely made it through this one, what’s to say I won’t make it through the others? What if I can’t cut it?”

"Enough questions." Loveless said bluntly. "You need to stop with the 'what ifs' and focus on what is. You'll never get anywhere if you're too afraid of dying along the way!"

"Tell that to a bank manager." Sterling sneered. "No on-the-job health hazards for him..."

"But you don't want to be a bank manager, do you?" Loveless countered. "You want to do something that matters. That actually makes a difference."

"If I don't die first." Sterling snarled.

"Who says you will?" Loveless declared.

"Uh... pretty much all the evidence." Sterling retorted.

"Nonsense." Loveless said firmly. "You are a skilled and capable young stallion. You can make it through your missions. And let's face it, if an old stallion in a wheelchair can survive this long, then so can you."

"You really think that?" Sterling asked.

"I know that." Loveless declared. "I have faith in you. But that means nothing if you don't have faith in yourself. You must not let your fear control you. You must cast aside these doubts, the thoughts that make you weak, and grow stronger for it. Only then, will you succeed."

Sterling stood still, processing the information.

"I'm afraid I must depart now." Loveless declared. "Important business. But please think over what we talked about. I hope it helps."

After Loveless rolled out of the room, Sterling sat back down on his bed, Ward joining him.

“Hmm…” Sterling murmured. “Maybe he is right. I shouldn’t let my fear control me…” He turned to Ward. “You don’t think me a coward, do you, Ward?”

Ward yipped, and licked Sterling on the face.

"I thought so." Sterling chuckled. "That settles it. No more being afraid. No more being a coward. From now on, I'm gonna show everypony just what I'm made of.”

Over the next few days, Sterling continued his training, a new determination within him.

This determination still lingered with him as he sparred with Jetstream once more.

"That all you got, kid?" Jetstream taunted.

"Not even close." Sterling swung again.

Jetstream dodged the blow, then struck Sterling across the face. Sterling toppled to his knees.

"Ugh..." Sterling groaned, struggling to get back up.

“What’s the matter, kid?” Jetstream taunted, cracking his hooves. “You can’t be done already. You hadn’t gotten off a single hit.”

“Just give me a second.” Sterling grunted, holding up a hoof. “Just gotta catch my breath.”

“Oh, really?” Jetstream scoffed, “Is that the excuse you used back in that subway station?”

“...What?” Sterling growled, his exhaustion forgotten. "What did you say?”

“You heard me.” Jetstream sneered. “Those other agents died because you couldn't pull your own weight. Then again, how can you, when you don't have a spine?"

"Don't you dare..." Sterling snarled.

"Well, since you're not doing the daring, I should." Jetstream jibed. "You ran and hid, while braver, better stallions died, giving their lives for our cause... Something you clearly weren't willing to do."

“You son of a-” Sterling started.

"Something tells me that wasn't the first time you failed to save somepony." Jetstream sniggered. "Well, am I right?"

Outraged, Sterling slugged Jetstream in the face.

"Ugh!" Jetstream stumbled back. Blood leaked from his left nostril as well as the left corner of his mouth. He wiped at the blood with his left hoof, as he glanced at the peeved young stallion. “...Now, that’s what I'm looking for." He smirked… then unleashed a roundhouse kick that knocked Sterling back onto the floor.

“Gah…” Sterling groaned.

"I had a feeling a little vocal encouragement would help you focus." Jetstream grinned.

"What?" Sterling snarled. "You messed with me just so I'd hit you?"

"Not exactly." Jetstream smirked. "Think of it as a lesson on to how to survive in a harsh environment... one packed with insults."

"Great lesson." Sterling felt her jaw. "Really. You should win 'Teacher of the Year'..."

"Nopony said this was gonna be easy." Jetstream shrugged. "You wanna get tough? Then ya gotta get it tough. Face the harshest stuff the world has, and work through it. And one way to fight fear is with anger. Focus on rage, and you'll at least stand a chance out there. Either way, ya gotta better yourself so no more ponies gotta die while you cower in a corner. Got that?"

"Oh, I got it alright." Sterling snarled. Jetstream's last insult had hit closer to home than he would have liked to admit.

"Good." Jetstream smirked. "Then let's continue."

"Gladly." Sterling spat.

The sparring match continued. Sterling managed to lay more blows upon Jetstream, galvanized by his teacher's words.

"Not bad, kid." Jetstream admitted, as Sterling once again lay crumpled at his hooves. "You've lasted your longest yet. Good to see you've taken my words to heart."

'Just wait.' Sterling thought. 'One day, you're gonna take my hoof to jaw...'

It wasn't long before Sterling was called in for another mission. He joined a trio of Earth Ponies: Clay, a brown pony with a gray mane and blue eyes. Granite, a silvery pony with a blue mane and green eyes. And finally, Grit, a light red stallion with a dirty yellow mane and brown eyes.

"Welcome, agents." Loveless told the group as they stood in the briefing room. "Your mission today to attend to a... disturbance at the Baltimare docks. One of our regular shipping lanes has been suffering attacks and thefts from an unknown group. Later today, we are expecting another shipment, which will most likely also been hijacked. Your mission is to wait until the attack happens, then put a stop to it."

"You can count on us, sir." Granite smiled.

"I know I can." Loveless's gaze settled on Sterling for a moment. "All of you."

Sterling nodded firmly.

'I won't let you down, Loveless.' He thought.

After arming themselves, the group made their way to the Baltimare docks.

"Brrr." Sterling shivered, the chill of the night air cutting to his core. "I knew I should have packed a sweater. Know what I'm saying?" The others stayed quiet. "Tough crowd..."

"Try to keep it together this time, kid." Granite told Sterling.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Sterling frowned.

“We heard all about what went down over in Manehatten.” Granite scoffed. “How you turned yellow, and only survived by accident.”

"Of course you did." Sterling growled.

"Just a friendly little head's up: if you even try to bail and hide, you're gonna be sorry." Grit spat.

"Yeah." Clay snorted. "No running away this time, or I'll put a bolt in your head myself."

"Oh, don't worry." Sterling growled. "I won't run and hide this time."

"We'll see about that, won't we?" Grit sneered.

Once they arrived at the docks, they announced themselves to the agents already there.

"It's about time the higher-ups did something about this." The forestallion, a dark green Pegasus, groaned. "We've lost enough shipments already."

"Well, that ends today." Clay declared.

"Any idea who these clowns are?" Granite asked.

"Not really." The foreman shrugged. "All we know is that they parade around in fancy suits."

"Well-dressed thieves?" Sterling frowned. "That's not something you see every day."

"Unless you're us." One worker scowled.

"But not after today." Grit smirked. "Time to get into position, fellas."

The group took up predetermined hiding places, waiting for the unknown hijackers to make their move.

Sterling held his crossbow steady.

'No wussing out this time, Sterling...' He told himself.

As the shipment was being loaded off its boat, a crossbow bolt suddenly embedded itself in one crate, surprising the workers. From out of the shadows emerged an odd group, consisting of three ponies, a couple of buffalo, a Griffon and a Changeling, all wearing suits, just as the forestallion said.

"Hello, boys." The ringleader, a tan Unicorn with a short red mane grinned. "You know the drill. Fork over the stuff, and we don't hurt you."

“Oh come on, man!” One of the workers complained. “We’re just trying to make a living!”

"So are we." A buffalo declared. "Unfortunately, our living is gained by taking your living."

"Just stay out of our way, and you can just plain keep living." The Griffon sneered.

"Not this time!" Grit declared, as the agents revealed themselves.

"And what's this?" The tan Unicorn sneered.

"This is us putting an end to your little smash-and-grab gigs." Clay smirked.

"We'll see about that." The Griffon snorted. "We're going to see this stuff put to a far better use than what you have planned for it."

“...Oh, like what?” Granite asked.

"More than you can possibly imagine." The Unicorn smirked.

"Like...?" Clay urged.

"Like... Huh." The Unicorn frowned. "I don't actually know."

"Me neither." The Griffon admitted. "Don't know why the bosses wouldn't tell us."

"Must be need to know only." A buffalo surmised.

"Or it's a surprise." A very dull brown Earth Pony suggested.

“Look, it doesn’t matter!” The Unicorn snarled. “The point is we are walking out of here with your shipment, and if you don’t clear out of the way… well, let’s say we can’t be held responsible for what comes next.”

“Neither will we.” Sterling stepped in. “You guys picked the wrong ponies to steal from, and if you don’t clear out, you’re going to pay for it.”

"Big words for a little kid." One of the buffalo declared. "And you'll be even littler once I'm through with ya."

"Take them down!" Granite yelled

"With pleasure!" Clay snarled.

The dock workers, eager to avoid being caught in the crossfire, quickly made themselves scarse.

"I don't get paid enough for this!" The foreman declared.

The two sides clashed in battle. The Griffon was the first to fall, taken out by a crossbow shot from Granite.

"You picked the wrong side, kid!" The buffalo charged after Sterling. "I'm gonna have to pound some sense into ya!"

Sterling felt a twinge of fear as the buffalo came at him, but he held his ground, remembering what his mentors said.

"Not this time." He whispered, “I am not a coward!”

Just as the buffalo was upon him, Sterling quickly stepped to the side, and grabbed onto the buffalo’s fur. Using the momentum of the buffalo’s charge, he flung him into the water.

"Now who picked the wrong side?" Sterling smirked.

"Not bad, kid!" Granite admitted. "Keep it up!"

"I will." Sterling nodded.

As the battle continued, the tan Unicorn nailed Grit in the chest with a crossbow bolt.

"Urk!" Grit grunted, collapsing.

"Oh, you're gonna get it now!" Clay spat.

"You first!" The Changeling leapt at him.

"Get off me, bug!" Clay roared, slamming the Changeling into the ground.

Meanwhile, the buffalo had climbed out of the water.

"Lousy kid!" He spat, charging Sterling again.

"You're making this too easy..." Sterling sidestepped the charge, then tripped the buffalo, causing him to tumble into the Changeling.

"Nice one, kid!" Clay smiled.

Despite their foe's greater numbers, the Forefather agents managed to whittle down their foes, killing two of the ponies and one buffalo. The rest went down soon after.

"Nighty-night!" Granite punched out a Changeling.

Clay threw a Griffon into three ponies.

"Stee-riiike!" He whooped.

Sterling knocked out the dull Earth Pony.

"Too bad that thick skull didn't help you here." He smirked.

The Forefathers’ agents gathered up their fallen foes, and tied them up.

"Okay, you got one chance to live, pal." Granite told the Unicorn. "And that's by telling us who you answer to. No way you guys are working on your own. Not with the intel you have."

"We'll never talk." The Unicorn declared, his companions holding similar expressions of defiance. "Never."

"Suit yourselves." Clay growled, as he turned to Granite and Sterling. “Boys… let’s shoot ‘em up!”

The three ponies unloaded their crossbows against the group.

"Agh!" A Griffon groaned, as one bolt shattered a wing bone.

"Urrrh!" A Changeling wailed, as his shell was breached.

"Argh!" The Unicorn screeched as he took a bolt to the neck.

Sterling finished off the buffalo with a shot to the chest.

"Hurrh..." The buffalo wheezed before collapsing.

"So much for the 'wrong side'." Sterling sneered.

Moments later, there was a pile of dead bodies in front of them.

“And that’s the end of that!” Granite scoffed, as he turned to Sterling and Clay. “Let’s take care of the bodies and let our workers know they won’t be bothered anymore.”

"You got it." Clay nodded.

"With pleasure." Sterling smiled.

The bodies of their foes were dumped into the sea, where they would be less likely to be discovered.

"Thanks for the help, guys." The forestallion declared.

"Just doin' our jobs, pal." Clay grinned. "If any other troublemakers show up, let us know."

"Oh, we will." One Pegasus worker smirked. "We will..."

"I gotta say, kid, that was some nice work out there." Granite told Sterling.

"Yeah, we got you pegged wrong." Clay added. "You can be on my team any day."

"Thanks, guys." Sterling smiled.

"Now let's head home." Granite smiled. "This salt air is killing my sinuses..."

Once they returned to the Infinity, they shared the details of the mission with Loveless and Jetstream.

"Impressive work out there, fellows. "Loveless smiled. "Especially you, Sterling. You did exceptionally well out there."

"Just doing my job." Sterling threw Clay a knowing smile.

"You took the words right of my mouth, kid." Clay nodded in approval.

“Yes, it’s only a shame those hijackers wouldn’t spill about their bosses." Jetstream growled. "Seriously, who were those fools and where did they get those fancy suits?”

“Who knows?” Loveless frowned. “But thanks to our operatives here, they’ll think twice before attacking our shipments.”

"Especially if they don't want their fancy suits ruined." Sterling joked.

"Yep." Jetstream smirked. "Speaking from experience, I know how hard it is to get blood stains out."

"That's why I learned to position myself carefully in the middle of a bloody brawl." Loveless declared. "Saves on laundry bills."

"Doesn't do much for all the funny stares you get at the laundromat when you're washing cloaks, though." Granite added.

The group all laughed. Sterling laughed the hardest of all, feeling as if he was finally starting to get the hang of his new vocation. Now, instead of dreaded his next assignment, he couldn't wait for it.

'Bring it on...' He thought.

Author's Note:

"9 To 5" is the property of Dolly Parton.