• Published 27th Jan 2017
  • 706 Views, 60 Comments

Tainted Silver - Bluecatcinema



The history of Sterling Cross, revealed at last.

  • ...
2
 60
 706

Haunted By The Past

After finishing off their drinks, Big Red and Sterling headed back to the homestead.

"So, ya gonna thank me fer bringin' ya along?" Big Red asked Sterling.

"I'll admit, it was a nice diversion." Sterling shrugged.

"Ya looked a mite more than 'diverted' when Star showed up." Big Red smirked knowingly.

"Ha, ha, very funny." Sterling rolled his eyes.

"Ah'm serious." Big Red declared. "The two of ya would make a nice couple."

"Thanks, but I'm not really in the mood for any kind of relationship right now." Sterling remarked. "Not even a quick fling... besides, she's a celebrity. A super-star singer. She's way out of my league."

"Hogwash." Big Red rolled his eyes." Star may be famous, but she ain't sum big-headed diva. She's always bin the down-ta-Earth sort. Take it from me, she's a real sweet gal."

"I can tell." Sterling smiled. "But that's not why she's out of my league."

"Then why is she?" Big Red asked.

"Let's just say I'm not what you would call coltfriend-material, and leave it at that." Sterling shrugged. "Trust me, Star can do way better."

"Okay then..." Big Red frowned. "But still, ya'll be droppin' by her concert, right?"

"Oh, you better believe it." Sterling grinned. "It's been too long since I've heard a good country western song. Just try and stop me from going..."

"Ah sure won't." Big Red chuckled.

'I can think of one pony who might...' Sterling thought.

Meanwhile, Shooting Star entered the Sheriff's office. Marshall was currently at his desk, handling some paperwork.

"Hey, Marshmallow!" She held out her hooves. "Guess who's back?"

"Sis." Marshall smiled, emerging from behind his desk and hugging his baby sister. "Good to see ya!"

"You too, big bro." Shooting Star grinned.

"How long are you staying this time?" Marshall asked.

"Not too long." Shooting Star shrugged. "Just a week or too. I need some time to decompress from my latest tour. And there's no better place to do that than home."

"I'm glad you're here, sis." Marshall smiled. "Things have been a little... up and down lately. But having you around always brightens up my life, and the lives of everypony else."

"Aw, thanks, Marsh." Shooting Star grinned. "Speakin' of everypony else, I ran into Red at the saloon. He's still as sweet as ever."

"Don't sound so surprised." Marshall teased.

"Well, here's something that might surprise you." Shooting Star said knowingly. "I met a stallion at the saloon. A real nice guy. Bit of a looker, too."

"Oh, yeah?" Marshall raised an eyebrow.

"He did throw out one or two cheesy pick-up lines, though." Shooting Star admitted. "Still, he seems like a decent kinda stallion. And kinda cute..."

"You don't say?" Marshall smirked. "Does this cutie have a name, or what?"

"Sterling Cross." Shooting Star declared.

Marshall's smile remained where it was, while his left eye twitched, and his eyebrows furrowed in anger.

"Sterling Cross?" He repeated, his voice cracking slightly.

"Yep." Shooting Star nodded. "Have you guys met yet? He's staying with Big Red. Figure he must have gone into town at least once..."

"Oh, we've met." Marshall nodded stiffly.

"So, is he as nice a guy as he seems?" Shooting Star asked.

"We haven't really... talked much." Marshall said truthfully.

"Well, if Red was good enough to take him in, Sterling must be a decent sort." Shooting Star surmised. "You know how good Red is at getting the measure of ponies."

"I sure do." Marshall cringed.

"I even invited him to my next concert." Shooting Star revealed.

"Did you now?" Marshall smiled even more widely, his eye twitching more than ever.

"Yeah." Shooting Star nodded. "He said he was a fan of country western, so I figured he'd enjoy one of my classic songs."

"I'm sure he would." Marshall said through gritted teeth.

"Well, I'll head over to your place" Shooting Star declared. She usually "crashed" at her brother's house whenever she visited. "I'm exhausted from that long train ride, so I'll catch some z's. Try not to wake me when you come in, 'kay?"

"Anything for you, sis." Marshall nodded.

"That's why you're my favorite big bro." Shooting Star hugged him.

Marshall waited until Shooting Star had left the office and was safely out of earshot, took off his hat, and screamed a muffled roar of outrage into it.

"MMMMMRRRRFFFFFGGGGHH!!"

Removing his face from the inside of his hat, Marshall held a look of utter loathing.

"If that piece of scum tries anything with my little sister, I'll make him regret the day he was born!" He spat.

Meanwhile, Sterling and Big Red made it back to the homestead.

"Ah, you're back." Cherry smiled. "How was your trip?"

"More eventful than Ah thought." Big Red smiled. "Shooting Star's back in town."

"Oh, how nice." Cherry smiled. "It's been too long since we've last seen her. It'll be wonderful to catch up."

"Ah know Sterling would like ta see her again." Big Red smirked. "He took quite a shine ta her..."

"Red!" Sterling growled, a light red tinge showing on his cheeks.

"You don't say?" Cherry grinned widely, enjoying Sterling's awkwardness.

"Ah do say." Big Red chuckled. "Star seemed to return the feelings. Even invited him to her next concert. Turns out Sterling's a fan of country western music."

"What a lucky coincidence." Cherry sniggered. "Almost like they were made for each other...."

"Okay, knock it off." Sterling groaned. "Yes, I think that Shooting Star gal is kinda cute, but since I'm not going to be sticking around too long, I'm not going to actively pursue her. Got it?"

"Anything ya say, Sterling." Big Red chuckled. "Jest remember who ya should choose as yer best stallion fer the weddin'..."

"Though I doubt Marshall would be willing to give the bride away." Cherry joked.

"Ha-ha." Sterling said humorlessly. "Totally hysterical."

"Ah, we're jest ribbin' ya, Sterling." Big Red nudged him.

"I had a hunch about that." Sterling seethed. "Just drop it, okay?"

"If that's what ya want." Big Red shrugged.

"And especially don't mention it to the boys." Sterling added.

"Of course." Cherry nodded. "We can keep a secret."

"Come on, Sterling." Big Red declared. "Time tah wash up fer lunch."

"Yeah, sure..." Sterling sighed.

The rest of the day was quite uneventful. After a nice lunch of barely wheatcakes, Sterling joined Big Red and the boys in some cherry bucking, then returned to the homestead for dinner, involving tumbleweed casserole. For the most part, Sterling felt quite content. It had been some time since he had had anything close to such a stable, predictable life.

'Who would have thought routine would be so... fulfilling?' Sterling thought as he lay on the couch. 'I've been here just over a week, and it's been one of the most relaxing weeks of my life... even with all the manual labor. And Big Red's family. They're so loving, and supportive of each other. Not like mine...'

Sterling closed his eyes and sighed in frustration.

'Hold it right there, Sterling.' He told himself. 'Forget about all that. You left that life behind. It's in the past now, and that's where it's staying...'

As Sterling peered through the gloom, he saw the dinner table in the kitchen. Before his eyes, the scene faded, replaced by an image most strange.

A dining room like Big Red’s, except more gloomy and a table surrounded by a family of Earth Ponies, soundlessly eating their dinner .

At one end, there was an old mare with a coat like his, a short blonde mane, groomed and cut into a bob, and brown eyes. She had a Cutie Mark resembling two silver candlesticks crossed over each other. There were wrinkles on her face, and a stern, cold expression on her face, as she carried herself with a firm and intimidating stature as she ate.

Next to her was a slightly balding old stallion, with Sterling’s mane color, a pale blue coat, green eyes, and a Cutie Mark of a green cross. Compared to his formidable-looking wife, he seemed meek and feeble, a weak smile on his face as he ate.

Across from the old stallion was a teenage colt, with a pale brown coat, a dark brown shaggy mane, uncut for a while, green eyes like the old stallion, and four jewels arranged into the shape of an x. He scowled as he picked at his food.

At the end of the table was the smallest of the group, a young colt with the color of the old stallion as his coat, the mare’s blonde mane, blue eyes (much like Sterling’s) and a Cutie Mark of two golden candlesticks crossed together. He happily made his way through his meal, eyes alight with joy and contentment.

“What is this…” Sterling whispered, as he glanced around. “Is this…”

Sterling suddenly noticed a third colt at the table; A younger version of himself, sitting between his father and his little brother.

“That’s me… but this was…”

"So... How was everypony's day?" The young colt spoke up, surprising present day Sterling.

"None of your business, runt." The older colt growled.

Sterling felt his hooves twitched.

“Crystal Cross, know your manners!” The mare snarled, nearly rising from her chair, her eyes fierce, as she turned to the old stallion, “Green, discipline your son!”

The old stallion cringed, his hooves quivering a bit as he turned to the surly teenage colt.

"...You heard your mother, Crystal." Green said quietly and feebly.

The teenager known as Crystal let out a snort, as he returned to his food. The mare gave a chuff as she resumed eating.

"What did you do today, Sterling?" The young colt asked the younger Sterling.

“Oh… you know…” The young Sterling shrugged, almost as timid as Green. “I played in the gardens. Climbed a tree. Dug in the dirt. That kind of stuff.”

"Fine behavior for a Cross." Silver scoffed. "We're supposed to be above such crass activities."

"I...I just having some fun." Sterling frowned.

"Any 'fun' that involves playing in the dirt is beneath us." Silver scowled. "If you are to be the son of Silver Gilded Cross, I don't want to hear of you doing so ever again. Understand?"

"...Yes, mom." Sterling sighed.

“...Coward.” Crystal muttered.

"Shut up, Crystal!" Sterling growled.

"Make me." Crystal taunted.

“Enough, both of you.” Silver seethed. “Unless you want me to exercise my right to inflict... parental discipline, I suggest you rethink your next words.”

"Yes, mom." Sterling cringed.

"Sorry, mom." Crystal gulped.

"...Well, I learned a new song on my trombone today." The young colt spoke up.

“Now, that’s my boy.” Silver smiled gingerly, her face softening immediately upon facing the young colt.

"That's my little Gold." Silver smiled. "You make us so proud. Right, Green?"

"Yes, dear." Green nodded, as he turned to Gold, “We’re really proud, son.”

"Yeah, that's... real great, bro." Sterling declared feebly.

"Thanks." Gold beamed.

"Yeah, nopony blows hot air quite like you..." Crystal said under his breath.

"Finish your broccoli, Crystal." Silver said harshly.

"Yes, mom." Crystal muttered. He reluctantly finished the vegetable, glaring at Gold as he did.

The scene faded away, replaced by the shadowy homestead kitchen.

Sterling stumbled back, rubbing his eyes as he glanced at the kitchen.

"What the...?" Sterling shook his head. "Am I seeing things?" He shook it once more, “You must've been out in the sun too long.”

As Sterling tried to focus elsewhere, he turned to the living room, only to see another room in its place. It seemed like a large play room, filled with toys, balls and musical instruments. He could see himself and Crystal standing on one side of the room, while the young Gold was on the other practicing the trombone he mentioned earlier.

“No…” Sterling murmured.

"Do it." Crystal snarled at Sterling.

“Why?” The young Sterling asked.

“Because he’s asking for it!” Crystal growled.

“Come on, you know this is going to make mom mad!” Sterling whined.

“You also know what’s going to make her mad?” Crystal sneered. “You breaking her favorite brooch.”

“You wouldn’t.” Sterling murmured, “She’ll never believe you!”

“Oh, do you really want to take your chance, Stirry?” Crystal chuckled darkly, “It’s either him or mom. Your choice.”

"I... I..." Sterling mumbled, unable to retort.

“Just what I thought.” Crystal scoffed, as he shoved him, “Now go.”

"...Okay." Sterling sighed.

Reluctantly, Sterling walked over to Gold.

"Hey, Sterling." Crystal smiled. "What did you think of my new tune? I'm getting better, huh?"

"Yeah, you are." Sterling put on a false smile. "Can I see your trombone for a second?"

"Sure." Crystal handed it to him.

"Thanks." Sterling nodded.

Sterling then smashed the trombone against the floor several times, utterly destroying it.

"No!" Gold yelped. As Sterling walked away, he followed, whimpering. "Why did you do that?"

Without looking back, Sterling pushed Gold down.

"Because life isn't fair." He said flatly, unable to even look his little brother in the eye. "Get used to it. And don't even think about telling mom or dad about this, or you'll really be sorry."

"Good work, Sterling." Gold smiled cruelly as Sterling joined him.

"Well, I'm glad one of us got what he wanted." Sterling scowled.

“Oh not yet.” Crystal sneered… as he slugged him in the chest.

“Agh…” Sterling groaned.

“Mom! Sterling broke Gold’s trombone!” Crystal cried, running out the room.

The young Sterling laid there groaning, the anguished sobs of his little brother, cradling the remains of his beloved trombone, drilling into his ear and cutting into his heart.

That awful memory faded, leaving Sterling in the dark once again.

“Ugh…” Sterling rubbed his eyes again. “What the hell is going on…”

Before his eyes, Sterling saw another scene. Silver was dragging the young him across the room. His younger self was struggling for all his worth.

"Please, don't!" Sterling begged. "I'm sorry!"

"You will be." Silver scowled. "You got mud all over my new Purrsian rug. That deserves punishment"

"I'll never do it again, I promise!" Sterling wept. "Please don't flog me, mom!"

"It's the only way you'll learn." Silver said coldly. "I've got to beat the unruliness out of you, so you'll be the polite, well-mannered child you have to be."

"Dad!" Sterling called to his father, who was standing in the corner of the room. "Please, do something!"

Green, a look of deep regret on his face, simply turned away.

"Dad!" Sterling yelled again "Dad!"

"Dad!" The present-day Sterling yelled, as the scene faded away. "Why is this happening?"

Sterling rushed upstairs to bathroom. Running the sink's taps, he splashed some water on his face.

“Gah… you’re losing it, Sterling.” Sterling shook his wet head. “You gotta snap out of it…”

Knowing that the rest of the house was asleep, Sterling turned off the taps, so they wouldn't be woken up.

"What is happening to me?" Sterling asked himself, checking his eyes in the mirror. "Am I finally cracking up?"

As Sterling glanced at the mirror, his blood turned cold.

In the reflection, there was a Unicorn stallion, dressed in rustic attire… or what was left of it, as the stallion was completely scorched, his body pitch black and charred. Pieces of flesh had been burnt away, revealing blackened bone and scorched innards.

“No… no…” Sterling gaped.

"Why did you do this to us?" The stallion wailed. "Why?!"

"Ahhh!" Sterling screamed. He turned around, but there was nothing there. "Please, not this too." He pleaded. "I thought I put that day behind me. That blazing nightmare..."

Many years ago...

Sterling was greatly pleased by the results of his second mission. No longer did he feel the shame of being a coward. He felt strong, and capable. As he returned to his quarters, he was greeted by Ward. The dog, sensing his master's good mood, greeted him accordingly, yipping and licking Sterling's face.

"Hey, Ward." He smiled. "Good to see you again. I was kinda worried I might not come back. But I was wrong. I survived. And just survived. I put up a bucking good fight. I helped to win the day. Are you proud of me, boy?"

"Arf!" Ward licked him.

"I knew you would be." Sterling scratched his ears. "And I'm proud of me, too. No more cowardice for this guy. From now on, I'm facing every threat head-on."

Ward licked Sterling again.

"That's right." Sterling chuckled. "As long as I have you to support me, I'll be just fine."

As it turned out, Ward wasn't the only one supporting Sterling. At lunch the next day, Sterling found himself being given a lot of acclaim.

"Nice going on that dock job, Cross!" One agent called.

"Way to go, rookie!" Another whooped.

'Whoa.' Sterling thought. 'Since when do I have a fan club?'

"Hey, Sterling, over here!" Clay called from an almost full table. "Why don't you sit with us?"

"Sure, why not?" Sterling shrugged, walking over and taking the empty seat.

"My pals here were very impressed when I told them about how you handled yourself yesterday." Clay declared.

"Oh, really?" Sterling grinned.

"Yeah." One agent nodded. "The way you took out that buffalo was pretty impressive."

"Eh, I was just doing my job." Sterling shrugged.

"After what happened on that first mission of yours, we thought you were just some yellow-bellied coward." Another agent declared.

"Gee, thanks." Sterling scowled.

"But now we know differently." A female agent grinned. "You must have had a false start. It happens sometimes."

"You know it." Sterling smiled.

"So, how exactly did you take down that buffalo?" The first agent asked.

"Well, it went like this..." Sterling began.

For the rest of lunch, Sterling regaled his fellow agents with the play-by-play of the battle. It was oddly gratifying for him to have such an appreciative audience, considering how quiet his family's mealtimes were.

After lunch, Sterling made his way to the gym to spar with Jetstream.

"Right on time, kid." Jetstream noted. "Now it's clear our little sessions are doing their job, I think I might pick up the pace."

"Bring it on." Sterling grinned.

"Getting cocky, are we?" Jetstream jeered. "Watch that ego, kid. One successful mission doers not make you a legend."

"I did pretty well for myself though, didn't I?" Sterling pointed out.

"I have to admit, you did okay." Jetstream shrugged. "At least you weren't a totally spineless wuss like last time."

"Stop, you'll make my head swell.." Sterling snorted.

"You've still got a long way to go, kid." Jetstream declared. "Allow me to demonstrate..."

Jetstream charged at Sterling, who used the same move he'd employed against the buffalo to flip him. However, Jetstream was able to twist in midair so he would land on his hooves.

"Not bad, kid." He admitted. "But you won't get me that easily."

"We'll see..." Sterling smirked.

The two clashed once again again, trading furious blows. As Sterling swung a hoof at Jetstream, it was caught, and Jetstream flipped him on his back, pinning him.

"Like I said, don't get cocky." Jetstream smirked. "There's always somepony better."

'And someday, I'm gonna be better than you.' Sterling thought. 'Just wait and see...'

A few days later, Sterling was called in for a new assignment. Loveless and Jetstream were waiting, along with a trio of stallions, each of whom seemed to be carrying a musical instrument. There was a teal Earth Pony, a purple Pegasus, and a silvery Unicorn.

"Hey, Loveless." Sterling smiled. "What's on the agenda for today?"

"We have a simple mission for you today, Sterling." Loveless declared. "You and your team must make your way to the remote village of Saddlevale and deliver a... package." He held up a metal briefcase.

"That's it?" Sterling snorted. "We just have to make a delivery? What, we can't afford the Equestrian Express?"

"What's in this case is not for some run-of-the-mill delivery boy to know about." Jetstream declared. "Father himself has ordered its delivery. Which is why I'll be coming along for the mission, to make absolutely sure nothing goes wrong."

"What, don't you trust me?" Sterling asked, offended.

"It's not about trust." Jetstream scoffed. "This village is really out of the way. The only way to get to it is through a treacherous mountain pass. Such a trip isn't easy. It's dangerous. So I'm coming along to ensure the mission succeeds."

"Okay, fine." Sterling sighed.

"These are your co-agents for the mission." Loveless declared, pointing out the three stallions in turn. "Alto." He indicated the Unicorn. "Baritone." He pointed to the Earth Pony. "And Tenor." He nodded toward the Pegasus.

"Hey." Sterling nodded.

The stallions pulled out some musical instruments; Alto a lute, Baritone a keyboard, and Tenor a drum. They each started playing.

"Pleased to meet you." Alto sang.

"How do you do." Baritone crooned.

"Hope we get off on the right horeshoe..." Tenor declared.

"Uh... what?" Sterling gaped.

"They do that sometimes." Jetstream cringed. "Actually... a lot."

"Gentlestallions, why you go and get geared up?" Loveless suggested.

"Your wish is our command..." Alto declared.

"Time to prepare this band..." Baritone continued.

"To go to this new land..." Tenor finished as they headed over to the armory.

"Do we have to have those clowns along for the ride?" Sterling asked, utterly bemused.

"Unfortunately, yes." Loveless declared. "They're behind on their quota, and must go on this mission."

"They're behind because they prefer performing their little music act to actually doing their jobs." Jetstream scowled. "But this time, they're gonna pull their weight. I'll make sure of it."

"And on that note, you'd better get moving." Loveless handed Sterling the case. "Father detests being kept waiting."

"So let's go already." Jetstream declared. "And just so you know, I don't tolerate agents dragging their hooves. So don't even think about slowing us up out there, kid."

"Yeah, yeah." Sterling rolled his eyes.

"Good luck, Sterling." Loveless smiled.

"Thanks, Loveless." Sterling nodded. 'Something tells me I'm gonna need it. A mission with Jetstream. It's like a nightmare come true...'

After gearing up, the group were on their way. They took an airship out to the fringes of Equestria, stopping just outside the mountain range which concealed Saddlevale.

"Okay, the sightseeing portion of our trip is over." Jetstream declared. "Here comes the hard part."

"Oh, goody." Sterling said sarcastically.

As they walked, the musical trio began playing again.

"Brave and bold we go, on a mission so bold." Alto sang.

"With haste we must make, before the day is old." Baritone continued.

"For our master, we will be as good as gold." Tenor declared.

"We are ready to face any threat." Alto crooned.

"To weather any danger." Baritone smiled.

"To withstand any trial." Tenor boasted.

"We shall not retreat, now matter how hard we are beat." Alto declared. "Whether our tongues are ripped out..."

"...Or we are knifed in the snout." Baritone continued. "Or our eyes are filled with glass...."

"...Or we get a spear up the-" Tenor stepped up.

"That's enough music for now, guys." Jetstream said, his eye twitching. "This isn't a musical, y'know."

"More's the pity." Alto sighed. "Nothing like a good tune to liven up your morning."

"And that was nothing like a good tune..." Sterling said under his breath.

Soon, they reached a large mountain.

"Okay, the village is just on the other side." Jetstream declared. "Hope you're not afraid of the dark, Sterling."

"Yeah, right." Sterling snorted.

"And no music when we're in there." Jetstream told the others. "We don't want to cause a cave-in, do we?"

"I suppose not." Tenor sighed.

"We're going to have to take an interval, fellows." Baritone reluctantly put away his keyboard.

"Such a pity." Alto sighed. "Having to deprive our comrades of our marvelous melodies."

"I think we'll survive." Sterling deadpanned.

With Jetstream in the lead, they entered a cave at the foot at the mountain.

"Okay, stick together." Jetstream declared. "This cavern is the quickest way to get to the village. It's easy to get lost, but my sources have provided a map on how to get through here. Just follow my lead."

"My favorite thing in the world..." Sterling snorted.

The group made their way through the cold, dark caverns.

"So, uh... why did you guys join the Forefathers?" Sterling asked the trio. "You guys seem more like musicians than revolutionaries."

"We can be both, can't we?" Baritone asked haughtily.

"And what better way of spreading the gospel of the Forefathers than by song?" Tenor declared.

"After all, music is the universal language, is it not?" Alto inquired.

"Depends on the music." Sterling shrugged. "I'm partial to a little country western myself."

"I hate to interrupt your little sewing circle, ladies." Jetstream said contemptuously, as they entered a wide, open cavern, a pinprick of light on the other side. "But you need to be quiet. There could be all kinds of rabid animals living in these caverns. We don't want to disturb them."

"What's the matter, Jetstream?" Sterling smirked. "Afraid of a few bats, or cave rats?"

"I'm thinking of something a little bit bigger." Jetstream declared. "Something we do not want to annoy."

"Intruders." A deep, gravelly voice snarled. "You enter my den without permission. For that, you must pay!"

"Says who?" Sterling said boldly, and he looked around the shadowy cave. "Show yourself."

"Kid, don't-" Jetstream started.

A gout of fire suddenly illuminated the cavern, revealing a dragon standing before them. It had dark green scales, dirty yellow spikes, and eyes like burning coals.

"Oh, buck." Jetstream gulped.

"You never said anything about a dragon being in this cave." Sterling hissed.

"I thought he'd be out foraging." Jetstream cringed.

"Leave, or die." The dragon snarled. "Those are your only choices."

"Sorry, pal." Jetstream declared. "But we have business to attend to on the other side of this mountain, and this cave happens to be the quickest way to get there. So why don't you just step aside and let us pass?"

"Because I don't like interlopers in my home." The dragon snarled. "Now... get out!"

"Maybe we should-" Sterling started.

"Not a chance." Jetstream pulled out a crossbow and fired it. The bolt struck the dragon's snout, creating an explosion that would have incinerated a pony's body, but barely singed the dragon's nose.

"RRRAAARRRGH!!" The dragon roared, any slim amount of reason he had disintegrating. "You'll all die for that!"

"RUN!!" Sterling yelped, as a plume of flame descended upon them.

The group fled from the scorching stream. One of them was too slow, and was incinerated.

"Tenor!" Alto yelped, as his comrade's blackened skeleton clattered to the ground.

Taking advantage of Alto's shock, the dragon reached down and snatched him up in his claw, then devoured him in one bite.

"No!" Baritone cried out.

"This way!" Sterling pulled Baritone towards the tunnel that led back the way they came.

Just before they reached it, the dragon's tail slammed down in front of the cavern, blocking their path.

"You had your chance to leave, ponies." The dragon hissed, smoke billowing from its nostrils. "But you refused. And now I'm going to cook you all to a crisp."

"Not today, barbecue breath!" Jetstream roared.

Jetstream fired another explosive bolt, one that struck near the dragon's eye.

"Agh!" The dragon winced. "You little..."

The dragon reached down with its claw. Jetstream unsheathed his katana and swung it upwards, slashing the dragon's palm.

"Grr!" The dragon snarled, clutching its wounded claw. "I'm going to pick my teeth with your bones!"

"I wouldn't bet on that!" Jetstream yelled, leading Sterling and Baritone to the other end of the tunnel. Along the way, he slashed at the dragon's ankle, buying them precious seconds.

"Rrrrr!" The dragon spat.

"Move it!" Jetstream yelled. "To the other side, fast!"

"I'm going as fast as I can!" Sterling panted.

"Me too!" Baritone wheezed.

"You won't escape me!" The dragon gave chase.

"Wanna bet?" Jetstream suddenly stopped.

"What are you doing?!" Sterling gaped.

"Taking care of business." Jetstream declared.

Jetstream took aim, and his crossbow. But this time, his target wasn't the dragon, but the ceiling above. The explosive bolt detonated, causing huge chunks of rock to rain down on the scaly titan.

"Arrrgh!" The dragon grunted, as the rocks pinned him down.

"You're the one who won't be escaping." Jetstream sneered. He fired more bolts as he backed away toward the cave mouth.

"I'll kill you!" The dragon managed to scream, before being buried under tons of rubble.

"Not today." Jetstream said coolly.

"Whoa. Sterling gaped. "That was-"

"Awesome?" Jetstream smirked. "That's what years of experience can do for you."

"So you're saying that one day, I'll be able to take down dragons too?" Sterling asked.

"If you're lucky." Jetstream shrugged. "Now, let's get moving. We still have a package to deliver."

"We sure do." Sterling patted the case.

The group walked down the mountain. Baritone was in agony over the loss of his comrades.

"I can't believe they're gone." He sighed. "Alto, Tenor..."

"Sorry, big guy." Sterling tried to comfort him.

"Their sacrifice will be remembered." Jetstream declared solemnly.

"And now, I'm a solo act." Baritone despaired.

"No, you're not." Sterling declared. "You've got us."

"Thank you, Sterling." Baritone smiled.

"Okay, enough mush." Jetstream declared, as they reached the bottom of the mountain. "We're here."

Just ahead of them was a small, quaint-looking village. It's inhabitants were mostly Unicorns, who resided in small, thatched-roof houses.

"Nice place." Sterling mused. "Looks like it's right out of a postcard."

"We're not here to sight-see." Jetstream snorted. "You still got the case?"

"Yep." Sterling held it up.

"Good." Jetstream smiled. "Let's get it to the center of town, fast."

"Sure, sure." Sterling nodded.

As they made their way through the village, several of its inhabitants waved and shared greetings with them.

"Hello, strangers." One stallion smiled. "Welcome to our humble village."

"Yeah, hi." Sterling said awkwardly.

"If you need a place to stay, my inn has plenty of room!" Another stallion called.

"We're good, thanks." Baritone said bluntly.

Soon, they reached the center of the village.

"Okay, now let's get down to business." Jetstream said bluntly. "Open the case, Sterling."

Sterling did as instructed, revealing a strange fire red ruby.

"This is the package?" He frowned.

"Yes." Jetstream nodded. "Now, dig a little hole, and bury it."

"Okay..." Sterling frowned.

Doing as he was told, Sterling dug a small hole and put the ruby in it, covering it up with dirt.

"Huh." Sterling mused. "...I don't at feel like Alto and Tenor lost their lives for nothing..."

"They died obeying the orders of Father." Jetstream declared. "That is far from nothing. Now, let's get moving."

"Yes." Baritone nodded. "The further away from here, the better."

As they made their way out of the village, more of its inhabitants called pleasantries toward them.

'Wow, everypony here is so nice.' Sterling thought. 'I might just come back here sometime, if the Forefathers allow vacations, that is...'

As they continued walking, Sterling saw that Baritone was still morose over the loss of his comrades.

"Hey." Sterling said quietly. "How you holding up, big guy?"

"As well as I can, I suppose." Baritone sighed.

"So... what are you gonna do now?" Sterling asked. "Without your pals? You guys seemed pretty tight..."

"We were." Baritone sighed. "I've never known two ponies I harmonized with better. But now they're gone."

"But at least we completed the mission." Sterling pointed out. "That's something, right?"

"Indeed it is, my young friend." Baritone nodded. "At least my comrades can rest easy, knowing our mission was a success."

"And we got it done without losing anypony else." Sterling smiled. "And now we're headed for hom. We don't have to worry about any more deaths or-"

KABOOM!

An explosion erupted, in the same spot where Sterling had buried the ruby.

"...Right on time." Jetstream said quietly.

"What?" Sterling asked, shocked.

The ball of fire rose up into the sky, then split into several flaming spheres, which rained down on the village, burning everything they touched. The inhabitants screamed with agony as they succumbed to the flames.

"A symphony of agony." Baritone said solemnly.

“What. The. Hell…” Sterling gaped, his voice quivering.

“Sterling…” Jetstream stepped forth.

"No! Dear Faust, no!!" Sterling yelled, overcome with panic. "We've gotta go back! We've gotta try and save those ponies!"

Sterling tried to run back to the village, but Jetstream grabbed him, holding him back.

"Let me go!" Sterling yelled. "We have to help them!"

"They're already dead, kid." Jetstream declared. "Trust me. The ruby's done it's job well."

"'Job'?" Sterling gaped. "You mean... it was meant to do that?"

"Yes." Jetstream nodded. "A little something our mystics whipped up. Once buried in the ground, it built up an enormous amount of heat, until finally, it erupted in a massive torrent of flames, powerful enough to incinerate the village, and everypony in it."

“This was our mission?!” Sterling growled, outraged. “To wipe out an entire village? Filled with innocent ponies?!”

“Sir, you didn’t tell him?” Baritone frowned. “I mean, me, Alto, and Tenor knew…”

“Because I knew Sterling would object.” Jetstream scowled. “And you’re not helping.”

"Of course I'd object!" Sterling spat. "Because I wasn't up for enacting a total slaughter! You dragged me out here on a mission of arson! Of mass murder! Why? WHY?!"

Jetstream moved forward, until his face was barely an inch from Sterling's. At this point, Sterling half feared that Jetstream would retaliate with a slug to the face or re-introduce him to his katana… but Jetstream only gave a solemn look, his eyes a bit misty.

“...Trust me, Sterling.” Jetstream shook his head. “You will eat yourself alive trying to answer that question.”

Jetstream then turned away, glancing at the destruction they had wrought.

“You will learn in time that it is not in our place to question why we do these things.” Jetstream sighed. “Most of the time we don’t, because we see them reasonable… but in cases like these, we have to remember… we took an oath to serve the Forefathers.”

“Even if it means…” Sterling murmured.

“Yes…” Jetstream nodded. “If Father wants the village scorched, we ask 'blackened, or charred?”

"But... But I thought the Forefathers were out to make the world a better place." Sterling declared. "This sure doesn't look like that."

"Sometimes, you need to burn away the old, so something good can rise from the ashes." Jetstream replied. "I'm not saying we have to enjoy it."

"But still..." Sterling struggled to retort.

"We must trust in Father's wisdom." Jetstream declared. "He knows best. We have to believe in his vision… if we don’t, then what’s the point?”

Sterling fell silent, unable to produce a valid counterpoint.

'I did make an oath to serve Father.' He reminded himself. 'But I never imagined following it would involve anything like this...'

"That's enough standing around." Jetstream said flatly. "Time to head back to the Infinity."

"Yes." Baritone sighed. "So we can arrange for Alto and Tenor's memorial service."

"...Okay." Sterling said quietly.

The trio headed back towards the mountain. Sterling remained silent, unable to comprehend the atrocity they had committed.

“...I know it’s rough, kid.” Jetstream said solemnly, walking alongside him. “...But sometimes you have to get your hooves dirty if it means making a better world."

"Yeah, I guess...." Sterling sighed. "I guess I'm gonna have to get used to it..."

"You never get used to it." Jetstream admitted, an edge in his voice. "Trust me..."

Sterling was surprised to see Jetstream so emotional. He had never imagined his brutal, uncaring instructor would possess actual compassion. But right then and there, Jetstream showed as much regret over what had happened as Sterling did.

'Maybe he's not so heartless after all.' Sterling thought. 'And at least I'm not the only one who feels bad about this whole thing...'

That thought provided Sterling precious little comfort as they made their quiet journey back to the Infinity.