• Published 16th Jan 2017
  • 971 Views, 2 Comments

My Little Twin Brother: Return of Nightmare Moon - Jninja15



An alternate universe where Twilight and the rest of the main six have younger, nearly identical, twin brothers. All of whom are preparing for the Summer Sun celebration before Nightmare Moon oh-so-rudely interrupts.

  • ...
2
 2
 971

Chapter 5: Butterflies and Angry Stares

Twilight and Dusk pant as they catch their breath from running so far away from Rarity and Elusive. Spike sat on Twilight’s back as they were running, and got off when they were slow enough for him to walk beside the panting ponies. As he walked Spike had his arms crossed and an angry look on his face.

Twilight managed to recover most of her breath but still had to pause for a moment to breath as she spoke, “What’s next... on the list... Spike?”

Spike broke his angered look to take a look at the list. “Music. It’s the last one on the list.”

At that moment they heard birds singing, everyone stopped for a moment and Twilight followed the source of the music. Dusk tried to follow but Spike stood directly in front of him with narrowed eyes, a frown and crossed arms.

“What?” Dusk said.

Spike said nothing for a moment then spoke up, leaning forward as he said in a moderately loud tone, “What the hay, bro! You ruined my first impression with that mare, jerk!”

Dusk’s eye twitched. “Really, those two could have ponynapped us and all you care about is your stupid first impression?!” He walked around Spike to follow where Twilight left. “I would rather not be spending my time helping you with that psycho of a mare, and I would like to avoid her brother too. Besides, I don’t see what the big deal is in having a marefriend. Love can only make ponies stupid and oblivious.” and he peaked over the bush Twilight was behind as well.

“Well,” Spike started softly to where Twilight would not be able to hear, “I guess intelligent ponies like you and Twilight could never fall for that sort of thing, right?” No response. “Dusk?”

Dusk couldn’t hear Spike over the loud thumping of his heart, and even if he could hear he wouldn’t be able to listen because of the loss of feeling other than cold in his extremities, his cheeks and nose felt like they were on fire, and his eyes were bulging so much he felt that they may never close after today.

A pegasus mare with a silk-like pink mane, yellow velvet feathers and a voice that was soft and sweet as honey, at least to Dusk, said “Now, follow me please.”
A tree full of various birds started to sing a song together, but one blue jay was horribly off-beat from the rest.

A pegasus stallion with a yellow coat, pink mane, and a voice said, “Oh dear, pardon me everyone. Can we stop for a moment?” and he flew up to the blue jay. “Excuse me sir,” he said softly, “I don’t mean to be rude, but your rhythm was just a teeny-tiny bit off.” The bird seemed to nod in acknowledgement as the stallion flew back down to the ground next to the mare.
“OK, now.” the yellow stallion said. “Once more, from the top. One. Two. One two thr-”

“Hello!” Twilight said, startling the yellow ponies and the birds. The birds flew away while the ponies just recoiled at the sound of Twilight’s voice. “Oh my, I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to frighten your birds. I just came here to check on the music and it’s sounding wonderful.”

The ponies said nothing as the mare just sat down and kicked the ground a little while the stallion’s eyes darted around before he slowly pushed the other closer to Twilight, without moving from where he stood. The mare’s eyes were wide with terror during the moment she was being pushed and were relaxed, somewhat, when the moment stopped.

Twilight gave an awkward smile before she spoke, “I’m Twilight Sparkle. What’s your name?”

“I’m -” and she said the rest of her sentence incoherently soft.

“I’m sorry, what was that?”

She responded again, even softer.

“Didn’t quite catch that.”

All Twilight could hear was a little squeak for a response. Then Twilight noticed that this mare wasn’t actually looking at her.

“Uh bro?” Spike said to Dusk. “You have been stuck with that silly smile on your face for five minutes... and you’re drooling.”

Dusk snapped at the little dragon, “That’s not true!”

“Oh really?” said a completely different voice. Dusk turned to see that the yellow pegasus stallion was standing almost right next to him. The stallion had his lips pursed and his eyes narrowed. “My sister tends to start to cry whenever ponies stare at her for too long.” he motioned his head to the other pegasus nearby, who was now crying.

“I wasn’t staring!” Dusk said quickly, now nervously staring at the stallion, hoping he would believe him.

Spike walked around the bushes to look at the crying pony and said, “Nice going Dusk.”

When the mare saw Spike, she immediately stopped crying and exclaimed, “Ohmygosh! A baby dragon!” she ran right through Twilight knocking her over to get closer to Spike. “I’ve never seen a baby dragon before! Oh, he’s so cute!” she picked him up in a hug.

“Well, well, well.” Spike said rather smugly.

The mare put the baby dragon down. “Oh my, he talks. That’s amazing. What’s your name?”

“I’m Spike.” he responded.

“Hi Spike, I’m Fluttershy, and that’s my brother Butterscotch.” she pointed a hoof to the yellow stallion currently having a staring contest with Dusk, Dusk currently winning out of fear.

A purple aura surrounded Spike as he was lifted up into the air and placed down on Twilight’s back.

“Well, I can see that everything is handled here, so I guess we’ll be going now, Dusk!”

Dusk broke eye contact with Butterscotch to glance a Twilight, tip-hoofed a couple steps around Butterscotch and zipped off a good ten feet away next to Twilight and started briskly walking away with her, but Fluttershy followed, and, consequently, so did Butterscotch.

“I just can’t believe it, a talking dragon.” said Fluttershy as she followed Twilight, Spike and Dusk. “What do dragons even talk about?”

“Well,” Spike said, “what do you want to know?”

“Absolutely everything.”

Twilight let out a loud groan, and Dusk was silently grinding his teeth at this. Then Dusk jumped a little bit when he noticed Butterscotch giving him a deathly glare as he walked right next to him. There was an awkward silence between the two of them as Spike told Fluttershy his life story, starting from the day he was hatched, and Dusk was trying to avoid eye contact with the threatening stallion.

“So...” Dusk started, “Is there anything you want to know about me?” he asked, smiling nervously at Butterscotch.

“No, I think I’m good.” Butterscotch responded, not breaking his stare.

“Great~.” Dusk groaned, lowering his head and continuing to avoid eye contact.