• Published 2nd Jan 2017
  • 1,267 Views, 139 Comments

Pinkie Explores the Dark - David Silver



You are Pinkie Pie. You are about seven to twelve summers old, you never really kept super strict count of that. You spot a creepy house just outside your farmland and decide to have a little peek. -- Readers make the shots, this is a CYOA type story

  • ...
5
 139
 1,267

7 - Don't Hug Me, I'm Scared

Your little heart races a mile a minute as your brain spins its little wheels trying to figure out what to do. Suddenly, it makes sense, sorta, kinda..

You push open the door to your safe box just a little bit as you produce the doll. You give it the briefest hug for good luck before you give it a light toss. It hits the edge of the counter, just like you're aiming for and flops from there to the ground, catching everypony's attention.

Not that you watch it for long, retreating to the safe little corner you have there. You can hear them though.

"What..." The mother steps towards it. "How... Did you do this?"

"N-no mom! I didn't go in the basement, I swear!"

There is a tense moment before the sniffling starts up again. "I miss her... Why did he take her away?"

Who is he? How and why did he take her? You want to know! Rrrrrg! Well, this place is already haunted, so you can play the part of the ghost! You grab out the picture and slip to the edge, peeking out to see the ghost colt comforting his mom. With a sudden flick, you toss the picture so it bops the mare right in the side.

"W-what?!" She starts with surprise, then sees the picture. You sorta expect her to get angry at the stallion depicted, but the old mare actually picks it up with shaking hooves. "You... stupid stallion..." She hugs it tight. "Stupid stupid stallion!"

You back away, letting it gently slide shut rather than risk being seen. You don't trust that mare, even as you're trying to figure her out.

The colt didn't have the luxury of hiding. "What's wrong, mother?"

"Either... he... is back, or your little sister..."

"Is that good?"

She draws a quivering breath. "That depends on which it is." She sets the picture down on the counter, you can hear its wood hitting the tile. "If it's her... I hope you two become good friends again. If it's... If... it's him..." She swallows loud enough for you to hear. "I..."

Why is she delaying? This is the part you want to hear! But fear continues to pin you to your hiding place.

"It's alright, momma."

"No, it really isn't." You hear her rump slump to the floor. "It really isn't... Why do you put up with me?"

"Momma?"

"I'm a pretty lousy one of those..."

"It's alright."

"It's not alright! D--" You can hear her panting and heaving. "I'm sorry... I'm... No, enough." She stands up. "I need to go."

"Back to your room?"

"No! Further! This house has too many ghosts!"

"Don't leave me, momma!"

There's a pause. You can only hear your heart thumping and the soft gasps of breath from your own lips.

"I left you years ago... I'm so sorry. I left you before you... fell... I left you when... When they died."

They died?

"Momma?" The colt sounded terribly confused and lost.

"You remember what I told you, how you lost your little sister?"

"D... He took her away."

"He did... they went to a beach, or were going to. They went without us, without asking me. There was... an accident. Neither survived. He broke the rules, lied to me, got them both killed... He took her away, but not the way you probably imagined."

"Is that why you're so mad, momma?"

"Yes! Yes... Everyone I loved is dead... Even you."

Thump. You fall over trying to listen better to what's being said. Oops!

"What's that?" Oh no! She's coming closer. You scramble to your hooves, but that's just more noise. She's coming! You pull out your party popgun and aim it at the door, trembling with building terror.

She pulls it open! POP! Confetti settles around her snout.

She blinks at you quietly a moment before she thrusts a hoof in after you and plucks you free from your hiding space. "So here's the source of all the noise today!"

"No, momma, no! Don't hurt her!" The colt is at her shoulder.

You're being held up in the air. "Give me a good reason not to!"

You actually have an answer for that one. "My mom's waiting for me to get home."

She drops you as if you were made of fire. "Y-your mother..."

"She'd get super sad if I didn't go home." You put a hoof behind your head. "You have a nice house?"

She quirks a smile at that, crooked and old. "I don't agree." She reaches for you and you flinch, but she just pats you on the head. "You get back to your mother right this instant, naughty filly. You tell her how bad you've been today. She should tan your pink hide."

The colt let out a ghostly moan of a sigh. "She's super nice, momma. Please don't be mad at her."

Freedom! But wait... "There's one more thing I have to do."

"Oh?" She frowns a little. "What is that?"

You point to the basement. "I promised her I would help her."

The mother winces, her entire face scrunching a moment. "She's beyond help!"

"N-no! I promised! It was a Pinkie Promise!" You object, clopping a hoof down.

The ancient mare peers at you a moment. "You're still a naughty filly... Fine, keep your words. Good ponies do that." She starts to walk towards the living room. "There's nothing you can do for her. I'll leave the gate unlocked for when you give up."

Author's Note:

https://www.poll-maker.com/results953619x3F1742ed-40#tab-2

You are freaking out in the heat of the moment! Terrified of the mother, and yet you must act!


The largest danger has been defused, hirrah!

But now you have two ghosts in need of resolution.

What do you do to fix this typo?
1) You can leave? Bye!
2) Time to bring the doll back to the sister.
3) Time to bring the siblings back together.
4) I bet there's a song for this situation...
5) Get Maud. She isn't scared of anything!