• Published 30th Dec 2016
  • 3,639 Views, 258 Comments

Once Bitten - Damaged



Ponies are going missing, and despite his wedding being just months away, Shining Armor is willing to do anything to get to the bottom of it.

  • ...
15
 258
 3,639

Introductions

Scootaloo watched the nymph climb from the egg that she herself had laid. She was completely wrapped up in the moment, and unable to look away as they opened their big blue eyes. "H-Hi…"

"Hi…" Equally nervous as the nymph who had laid her egg, the newly hatched changeling remembered the other's life as if it were her own. Early sadness, along with a loneliness that was only relieved when she was with her friends. "We're sisters, right?"

"Yeah." Scootaloo sniffed, two rivulets of tears staining little trails down her cheeks. "Sisters." As soon as the word came out, neither of the nymphs could hold back, and they dived forward with huge smiles on their faces.

"Sisters!" Squeezing the original Scootaloo, the newborn nymph nuzzled and rubbed cheeks with her again and again, each of them desperate to make up for years of solitude with each passing second. "Scootaloo…" She didn't want to pull back at all from the hug, so just murmured while she clung to her sister. "You need to name me."

"I do?" Scootaloo couldn't hold back a nervous giggle. "I don't suppose Rainbowloo would do?"

"Awesome as that would be, I need a better one. Remember what Sky told us, names need to be unique."

"Scootaling?" Scootaloo giggled more, and both nymphs sat down on the ground, and looked at each other. "What about Buzzaloo?"

Buzzaloo blinked at the name. She tilted her head to the side, and rolled it around her thoughts. "Say it again, a few times."

"Buzzaloo." Scootaloo grinned. "Hey, Buzzaloo, up high!" Both nymphs brought forehooves up, the hole-filled limbs striking with a solid clop. "Ha, it works great!"

"It's growing on me. How are the other Crusaders doing?" Buzzaloo looked around, her body getting more and more used to being its own entity. She spotted Sweetie Belle first.

~~~~~+++++~~~~~

"H-Hello?" Sweetie Belle leaned towards her twin, where the other nymph was laid out on the ground. "A-A-Are you alright?" Nerves filled her. Sweetie remembered the nervous other-self that she had talked with during their meditation back in the hive, but it was hard for her to reconcile that with the nymph in front of her.

Opening her own eyes for the first time, Sweetie's twin looked up at her older sibling. "I think so. This is all…" She trailed off when onlookers' eyes seemed to take extra notice of her. "A-All a bit rushed." She tried to heft herself upright, at least to a seated position. With the memories of Sweetie Belle as her own, she remembered a life of being a little clumsy—particularly in the kitchen.

"Do you need help?" Sweetie's kind urges overwhelmed any nerves, and she reached out to help the newborn nymph. "I'm Sweetie Belle." Rarity's teaching on etiquette took over, and despite remembering talking with her, Sweetie felt obliged to introduce herself.

"Pleased to meet you, Sweetie Belle." Grinning, on comfortable ground with rigid laws defining her words, Sweetie Belle's new sister lifted a hoof. "Charmed I am sure. I am…" She froze, her eyes widening to big blue orbs.

"Oh, right. We need to name you." Sweetie lifted her own hoof and gave her sister's a little tap. "Shining got off so easy, she already had a second name. We could use my alternate form name: Braided Lace. Rarity would love that."

"Braided Lace is cute, but I want my name to be a little more like yours. If…" Sweetie's sister's voice wobbled a little, "if that is alright?"

Sweetie's eyes went wide. "I think I have something." She paused a moment and looked significantly at the expectant nymph before her. "Adore Belle." She smiled sheepishly. "If… If that is alright?"

"Adore Belle?" Adore thought over the name, and felt herself already loving it. "It is perfect, Sweetie!" She finally broke decorum and the two nymphs hugged tightly together for a few minutes.

Disengaging herself from Sweetie, Adore backed up a little. "Ahem. Pleased to meet you. My name is Adore Belle." She held out her hoof again.

"Charmed, I am sure. My name is Sweetie Belle…" Sweetie managed nearly three seconds before giggling.

"Hey, you two!" Scootaloo trotted up to Sweetie and Adore, with Buzzaloo at her side. "Have you met my awesome sister?" Even with her fangs, Scootaloo's smile was the most adorable and proud thing ever.

"Hi!" Buzzaloo poked Scootaloo with one wing. "You were meant to introduce me!"

"Oh yeah. This is Buzzaloo." Scootaloo gestured to Buzz. "She is totally awesome, and the best sister I have ever had!"

"Isn't she the only sister you have ever had?" Sweetie turned to look at Adore, who shrugged back at her.

"Uh…" Scootaloo felt a slight pang of longing for her missing family, but it wasn't able to last long; Buzzaloo wrapped a foreleg around her back. The simple bond between them, deep in ways she had never experienced, threatened to bring tears to Scootaloo's eyes.

"Only and best!" Buzzaloo didn't need to be able to drink emotions (not that she could from another changeling) to notice that her sister was in a fragile state, and that Sweetie had poked at a wound that was old, yet no better healed for time. "And who is this?" She pointed at Adore, shifting the topic firmly away from her sister's feelings.

"Her name is Adore Belle, and she is my new sister!" Sweetie was somewhat oblivious to her friend's emotional state, but after a few moments of seeing both the 'loos hugging, it finally filtered through her head that Scootaloo had family again. "Oh no!"

Adore was halfway through offering her hoof to Buzzaloo in greeting, when her sister made her exclamation. "Huh?"

"I am so sorry Scootaloo…" Sweetie Belle's lower lip wobbled a little, and she looked at Scootaloo with her big, blue eyes starting to fill with tears. "I didn't meant to—"

"It's alright now Sweetie Belle." Scootaloo looked aside to her sister, and grinned. "I have a sister now, and we have so much time to make up for!"

"Yeah!" Buzzaloo chirped her wings in support of Scootaloo, and lifted a little, hole-filled hoof up. The pair's hooves gave a solid clop when they connected. "Best sisters ever!"

~~~~~+++++~~~~~

"You don't think Ah'm too weird?" Apple Bloom looked up to her big brother. She could see in his eyes that he was still taking her new look in, but there was still rock-solid certainty there.

"Nnnope." Big McIntosh, as always, towered above Apple Bloom. He had no doubt the nymph was his little sister, and it wasn't because she knew things that only an Apple would know. "Ah know yer Apple Bloom." His steady look held no guile.

"How's that?" Apple Bloom squinted, but didn't pull away when the stallion's huge hoof lifted and came down on her head.

Ruffling the nymph's head-fin, Big Mac smiled down at her. "Just ways. Big brother ways." He kept ruffling her fin, finding the action similar to ruffling her mane when she was a filly. "You got a new Apple in there?" He nodded towards the egg Apple Bloom had been carrying.

"Yeah. About that." Apple Bloom had just about had enough of the rough attention of her brother, but there wasn't a force in Equestria that would make her push him away—not now that she had gotten home. "She… she knows everythin I know, and she even sounds like me!"

McIntosh hummed a little. "Well, that makes her an Apple. Here she comes now." He drew his hoof back and stepped closer to the egg.

With her big brother at her side, Apple Bloom could have faced down the whole changeling army, let alone one little nymph on her hatching day. As soon as the egg disgorged the dark changeling from within, Apple Bloom moved up to clean her newest sister off. "Hey there."

The new changeling nymph coughed, spitting out the last of the gunk from her nose and throat. Her soft wings couldn't chirp yet, but she did rub them just so, so they would have if they were. "Hi!"

Both nymphs were suddenly being crushed by huge, red limbs. Big Mac held both his little sisters close. The way the newborn nymph had moved, even how she spoke, told him she was an Apple.

"Big brother!" Both nymphs exclaimed at the same time, then looked at each other and laughed.

"This is weird." Apple Bloom nonetheless was hugging her new sister just as much as she was Big Mac. "Do you still remember everythin'?"

"Yup!" The newest Apple grinned. "Ah remember them capturing us… and…" Her expression turned worried. "Where are the changelings who were disguised as us going to go?"

McIntosh shook his head. "Not our problem. Nnnope."

"Yeah, Ah think we have enough to worry about." Apple Bloom's irrepressible good nature flared brightly. "So what are we going to call you?"

"Hey, that's your job!" Apple Bloom's twin stuck her tongue out. "Remember our lessons? You are supposed to pick a name for me."

Apple Bloom pondered for a few moments. "It has to be apple related." Both her siblings nodded to that. "And it should probably be related to my name…"

"It doesn't have to be, but…" The newest Apple blushed a little. "… Ah would really like that."

Apple Bloom tapped her chin with a free hoof. "Apple Seed? Nah, Babs already has the seed bit covered. What about Apple Cider?"

"We already got two of those in the family, not countin' yer big sister." Big Mac was helpful, in a not-helpful way.

"Ugh…" Apple Bloom looked at her sister for inspiration, and saw what she knew she looked like herself. She studied her twin's eyes, her expressive face, and even giggled a little at her perked-forward ears. "Blossom." The word just came to her. It swelled up from somewhere inside, and she knew it was right. "Apple Blossom."

"There's one of them too. A cousin of ours." Big McIntosh pressed his snout against Apple Bloom's neck. "But one more'd be okay."

"Apple Blossom? That is perfect!" Apple Blossom squirmed, but hugged her sister tightly. "Better than Beaded Lace." She poked her tongue out at Apple Bloom. "I can't believe you let Sweetie talk you into that!"

"It was the best idea at the time!" Apple Bloom giggled, then booped her brother on the nose. "Our friends are comin', let us down Big Mac."

Big Mac didn't relent, giving both nymphs a tighter squeeze for a moment before finally setting them down. Terror dawned on the stallion. He watched as four more nymphs approached, and he could easily pick out two that walked with the confident strut of Scootaloo, and the other two with Sweetie Belle's unmistakable awkwardness. There was now six Cutie Mark Crusaders.

A lesser stallion would have let out a high-pitched scream and bolted. A lesser Apple might have gibbered madly and backed away. Big Mac shook his head. "Nnnope." He turned and slowly walked off to give the nymphs some room.

"What did you name her, Apple Bloom?" Buzzaloo looked between Apple Bloom and Apple Blossom, suddenly unsure which was the original.

"No, silly." Sweetie Belle rolled her eyes. "She wouldn't have named her Apple Bloom, that would have gotten so confusing…" She froze and turned on the two Apple nymphs. "You didn't name her Apple Bloom, did you?"

Apple Bloom and Apple Blossom turned and looked at each other, and laughed riotously. "Now, Sweetie Belle, Ah named her Apple Blossom." Apple Bloom sobered a little from her giggles. "Err, you are Sweetie Belle, right?"

"Hi, I'm Adore Belle." Adore waved from beside Sweetie.

"And I'm Buzzaloo!" Scootaloo tried to keep a straight face, but was losing control quickly.

Bopping her twin on the head gently, Buzzaloo pointed to her own chest. "No, I'm Buzzaloo!"

~~~~~+++++~~~~~

"So…" Shining looked at Vinyl, and the whole world collapsed in as she realized that they were both very small little changelings, in a very big world. "We go to Canterlot…"

"And rescue Cadance." Vinyl nodded to her sister. "Can't forget that. It is a little backward, but I think we can have a prince save her princess." The pronouns didn't bother Vinyl in the least; years of dealing with two different lives—as two different genders—had divested her of the need to bind things to one or the other.

Shining Armor nodded. "And kick Chrysalis' plot all the way back to The Badlands." She looked around for Thorax, and spotted her talking with Mayor Mare. "And hope Thorax doesn't slip into what Chrysalis is."

"I don't think she will." Vinyl watched the queen changeling in question beside her sister. "A problem for after we rescue the day." Her conclusion wasn't the best, but the plan so far had been working.

Author's Note:

Cadance: just how perfect will this day be?

Cadance blinked a few times, her eyes flickering green for a moment. "This day? It— Ngggg!" She cowered, her horn sparking a few times in obvious pain.

"Is your head hurting again?" Shining Armor walked up to his fiancee, and looked deeply into her eyes. "Let me make it so your head never hurts again..." Shining's horn flared bright green, and power flowed from him into Cadance.

~~~~~+++++~~~~~

So I do this "Ask x" thing, x can be any pony within the story. You can ask them anything and I they will definitely hopefully reply. Keep the questions appropriate to the age-rating of the stories and of course, I they will answer the best question(s) in the author notes of the next chapter. The more votes a comment has the more likely I will get it to the right pony to answer, try and keep it to one answer per post! I They will pick one question per chapter.

Support me on Patreon or fuel my writing on Ko-Fi!

Join me on Discord. Warning, said chat may contain NSFW material and should be considered adult in nature.

Awesome ponies who are already helping to keep me in keyboards and rum:
A.P.O.N.I.
Boulder
Canary in the Coal Mine
Daremo
Dio-Drogynous
Ian
Javarod
Jeffh4
Mary Rowland
Mephia
Nils
Sirion123

And special thanks to the following, for careful eyes and friendly words:
Cross Lament
Jeffh4
Vutava