• Published 20th Dec 2016
  • 598 Views, 10 Comments

I will live on - Miner



My name is Ed. I am a Diamond Dog. And this is my story.

  • ...
 10
 598

It is time to fight part 1

Time is at the essence now. The sooner we can prepare the mines, the greater our chances of surviving. Even with all the preparation, we are going through. There is no way of knowing if this will work.

“Ed we have finished clearing out the lower caves.”

“Good work Fido. Now I need you to move any heavy stones and anything else you can find that is sharp and moving them into the upper chambers near the north entrance, above the diggers.”

“On it.” He said as departed to reunited with his team.

Rover came by shortly afterward “We made that tunnel in the ceiling like you wanted Ed.”

“Good. Remember you are not going to break the surface just yet. Leave enough dirt there to support the weight of the objects on top of it, but thin enough so that we can break it when needed.”

“Got it. Anything else?”

“Yes, get every dog who can’t fight as far away from the trap as possible. We don’t want them getting mix up with the fight.”

“I got to say, Ed. Not two days here and you are already calling out the shots.”

“Don’t get smart with me Rover. It doesn’t suit you.”

“Whatever.” He said before he left to help out his team.

Not long afterward, Melody came into the room looking left and right at the dogs lifting, and moving everything, and everyone somewhere else. She has a worried face on her as she watches them work. While doing so, she was making her way towards me. “My mate, might I ask what is going on here?”

Bringing a paw to my eyes, as I rub them I knew I could keep this form her forever. *Sigh* “I am afraid they are preparing for the worst-case scenario my mate.” She looks at me with a gasp as she took in my words.

“But... but we just got here. Ed, please tell me we aren’t going to lose home and more dogs. It’s not fair! Can’t we just find a place to call home; without something trying to take away what little we have?” she cried to me as I bring her in for a hug, trying to calm her down.

“We are not my mate. We are not losing our new home and we are not losing any more dogs to anything. Not anymore.”

“How can you say that when there is no way of keeping that promise, Ed.” She said as tears ran down her face. The tears of fear and sorrow.

“My mate please,” I said pulling her back a little to look in her eyes. “Look at them. They too have lost much and yet they are still here. They are will to fight for what is theirs. Unlike all the other packs we have come across the years, this one is still willing to fight back. They are aware of the imminent danger that is in store for them if they stay here, but instead of running away; they are willing to fight and died for their home. That is something I having seen in another dog since our own pack. And if they are willing to fight for their home; then I am willing to fight right alongside them.” She looks away from me taking in what I am saying. I left her chin to look back at me.

“Melody I am tired of running away, tired of always losing our home to other species taking advantage of us. We were once the Diamond Dogs of the western mountains. The most respected and strongest of all the other dogs” She nods sadly remembering our old home and rubbing her belly slightly “And here we are again being forced to lose our home to a dragon. Last time it had the element of surprise to its advantage, but this time it’s now our advantage.”

“Is even possible with what we have can we do it?” she said as I wiped away some tears.

“We won’t know until we try my mate.”

“And if we should fail?” Before I could talk to my mate again. Spot came running into the room.

“Ed! Greedy Hooves is on his way here.” He said a little winded making me let go of Melody and patting him on the back.

“Thank you, Spot. Go and help out Fido’s team and inform the rest of the dogs that we are going to be expecting company soon.”

“Wait!” Melody said causing me to look back at her. “Please, no matter what happens up there. Please, Ed, come back to me.” I had no words to tell her as I stare back at her.

I then bring her in for a kiss as I look in her eye once again “I promise you I will come back.”

I can see Greedy Hooves a hundred yards from the entrance, and he is not alone. He has a large red stallion with him pulling the wagon of goods with them. Just by the looks of it, there doesn’t look like there is much in the wagon to feed all the dogs here. At most a couple of days’ worth of food. This pony is no fool coming here without some help, and judging by those shadows in the tree; it is not just the two of them I have to worry about if things go south here.

“Greeting Diamond Dog. My name is G. Hooves. I am here for our weekly trading with you. Would you mind going and telling Rover that I am here? Thank you.” He said as he wades his hoof at me as if he was shooing me away.

I knew that this pony was trouble when I heard him talk to the dragon. But guess I underestimated his attitude to us. I can see why Rover doesn’t like him. Regardless it is time to start the plan. “I am sorry Mr. Hooves but I am afraid we can’t trade with you anymore.” He looks back at me with a look of surprise.

“Hum, I see well then we will just have to come back tomorrow now won't we.”

“I am afraid you are not understanding me sir hooves. When I said, we can’t trade with you anymore, I mean forever.”

“Huh. But…” he then composed himself before he continues. “Might I ask why?”

“Because we have nothing to trade with you Hooves. During the last time, you were here. One of the dogs overlook the number of gems we had and traded almost all of them with you and the rest of them to the zebra nearby for medicine. We have nothing left to offer you but some large stones.” I said guesting to the pile of rocks nearby.

“Well, I must say this is unexpected news. *Ahem* Well then, come along then Sir Apple there is nothing left for us to do here.” He said walking back to the town while his companion looks between the two of us not sure what to do. G. Hooves takes notices. “Is there something wrong Macintosh?”

“Enope.” He said joining his boss back the way they came.

Once they are out of sight and the trees are quiet again. A smile comes to my face. “All is going according to plan. Now I just need to make sure that he does indeed send the dragon here. Spot!” said dog came up from the ground.

“Yes ED?” he said as he strikes a salute.

“The enemy has taken the bait; however, we are still not ready for them.”

“What’s wrong than Ed?”

“We need some dog to go after them to see if they are going to send the dragon. Occurs this can’t just be any dog.”

“No, sir. Not just any dog.”

“No, he would have to be rather small.”

“Yes, yes the smallest dog we got.”

“But he also has to be fast. So, he can run away if trouble were to arise.”

“Yes, fast is good.”

“But he also has got to be unnoticeable, so he can blend in the background.”

“Yep.”

“But most of all he has to be some dog that Greedy hooves haven’t seen yet.”

“Yes, that is perfect Ed. So, who is the dog you had in mind.” I then look at him with a mischievous smile. Which he notices right away as he is then stricken with terror.

“NOOO, NNNOOOO!”

“They don’t know you, they won’t suspect you.”

“Dragons scare me, he is going to eat me.” Ok, this is not going to work.

“Now Spot. Look at me.” I grab him on his right shoulder to stop him from shaking. “We are on put on this World for a purpose, and the time for your Purpose is now. Now I know that inside of this small shell of a dog” I put my paw on his chest for emphasizing “there is a volcano ready to erupt.” He looks back at me in awe and probably has no idea what I am talking about but I didn’t let that stop me. “Now I know that I have only known you for a few hours but when I saw you could become something great, something amazing Spot. You can become a legend! A legend, to let every dog know forevermore. That it was you who made sure we, your pack was ready for the dragon arrival.” I then moved to his side with my head next to his as I point my arm out in front of us. “The moment’s here Spot. Grab it. Grab it!” He then closes his paws and holds them to his chest. “Today a Jester, tomorrow a Hero!” I gave him a push on the back to send him on his way, and he does leaves, for about three seconds before he comes back.

“NOOOO!”

“Get Going!” and he is gone. *sigh* “Hopefully I can beat some sense into these dogs before to is too late.”

Author's Note:

leave a like and comment what you think.