• Published 20th Dec 2016
  • 598 Views, 10 Comments

I will live on - Miner



My name is Ed. I am a Diamond Dog. And this is my story.

  • ...
 10
 598

It time to make a change

It’s has been a while since I have used Uhane Komi. It’s not something I want to use often, but I didn’t want any more changelings coming after us without a backup plan. As I continue to stare at the gem in my paw, it still hard to believe that this was once a living creature with its own free will. But now it is mine. I toss the gem a few times before I put in back in my pocket with the rest of them.

Looking to my left, I can see my mate sleeping soundly, as I gently rub the side of her head. I didn’t tell her about the bug last night, how could I? The last thing she needs to know right now is that changelings were already here before us. And that we might lose our home again.

Slowly I got up without waking her, I made my way towards a small wash bin to clean myself up. The water cold to the touch against my fur, but at least it was clean. After drying myself off I looked at my right paw and sighed. The pain is gone and I can still use it to grab and hold small objects with it, but anything bigger and heavier than an apple is too must for me.

Looking back at my sleeping mate one more time, before I exited our room. As soon as I left was greeted with the sight of Rover walking down the hall. Rover smiled and was going to speak, but I cut him off and signal to him for silence. He looked confused but complied. I then motion him to follow me and once we were far enough away I then addressed him.

“Good morning Rover. Or is it even?”

“No, it’s morning, so I guess Melody is still asleep?”

“Yes, she is. She deserves the rest. So, Rover, what is on the agenda today?”

“Well, we are still having problems locating gems. This cave used to be litter with them, but then we lost them to that pony. So now we are back to square one.” He said with a sad look in his eye.

Slowly I shook my head, “Gems will always be an issue Rover. Is there anything else?”

“Yes, we are having some problem with the pony we normally trade with for supplies.”

“What kind of problem?”

“He has risen his prices for us, he said something about a dragon or a manticore is roaming around the trading route he uses.”

We then enter another room which looks like a supply room, but it is very empty. There are only three small crates of food and a couple of barrels of water. Looking around I notice that there are broken pieces of crates covered in dirt. I could guess that these were lost in a cave in, there are rare but they do happen.

“We have tried bargaining with him, but he refuses to lower his prices for us. And if things continue as they are, we will be out of gems by the end of the week.” Rover said as he reaches in one of the open crates and hands me an apple.

“That is some troubling news Rover,” I said while I put the apple away for later. “Is there anything we can do about the threat on the road?”

He shakes his head while letting out a sigh “I am afraid I can’t give you an answer on that. G. Hooves wasn’t very specific. So, I am not sure if we even can do something about it.”

“I see, is there any other ponies or creatures nearby that we can still trade with?”

“No, he is the last one who is still willing to do any kind of trading with us.”

“Really? What happened to the rest of them? Did the threat scare them off or did they stop long before that?” Our conversation continues as we entered a recantation area; there were three other dogs in here, and some of these dogs look like they have seen better days.

After finding some seats; we continue our conversation, “Yes, they stop coming to trade with us once the threat appeared, however, I would bet my gems that G. Hooves had something to do with it.”

“Really? Go on.”

“Back when there more ponies that would trade with us. He would always sell his stuff at a high price compared to the others and is not the nicest pony I have ever meet either. But once the treat showed up the other ponies never came back.”

“So, in the end, you still traded with the only pony left.”

“Yes, we did.”

“I see. Is there any way that instead of the ponies coming to us; we can go to the ponies?”

“Well, we have tried, but the ponies don’t like us coming into their towns. That is why they come to use near the cave so, to the other ponies, it looks like they are getting the gems themselves.”

“Well, Rover. That is going to change today. If those ponies can’t stand the sight of us nearby then they can find their own gems. I will not let another dog starve because of the ponies.”

“Ed, what are you thinking?” Rover said

“I going saving this pack. Starting with that threat on the road.”

“What do you need than?”

“I am going to needed two guard dogs to accompany me.”

“Alright, then Ed. And for every dog's sake, don’t get killed out there.”

Ten minutes later…

We are now own the route were the trades use to get to the caves. So far, we have found nothing which strikes me as odd. Maybe the threat left and the road is clear again, but then again it could just be hiding somewhere waiting for anything to come its way. Whatever the reason is I must know. However, my guards aren’t making this any easier for me.

“So, what are we doing out here again Ed?” said one of the guard dogs.

“We are here for two reasons. One to find out what is the threat on the road is. And to find out if we can take care of it.” I told him.

“But what if we do find a manticore on the road like the pony said or a dragon?” another one said.

“Then we head on back to the cave and come up with another plan to take care of it or get around it. But first, we need to know what is out here.” I said as I parted some branches on the road.

“Well I think we should just head on back to the cave where it is safe.” the second one said shaking in fear.

“And you call yourself a Guard Dog. Where is your… hold it.” I said hold up my paw silencing them before them I moved over there behind some bushes with my guards right behind me.

“What is it?”

“Quiet something is coming. Stay low to the ground and don’t do anything.” I said getting low to the ground as they follow suit.

Soon we heard the shaking of the tree branches followed by some of them snapping and a heavy thud of something landing nearby. Creeping to the edge of the bush I could see a dragon walking by. I could tell we are dealing with a young adult judging by the size of the claws on it. Clenching my paws in rage at the sight of the creature, but I retain myself “This is not good; I was kind of hoping for a manticore. At least thing I could have taken it on, but I am no match for a dragon of any size in my condition.”

The dragon stops walking about ten feet away from us; forcing us to stay quiet until it decided to leave. After a few minutes, I could hear a wagon coming down the road, and soon I could see a well dress pony pulling it. He doesn’t look frightened by the presence of the dragon; instead, he looks pleased as he got closer.

“It good to see you again Nova.” The pony said.

“Cut the chatter Greedy Hooves. You know what I am here for.” Said Nova

“Yes, occurs straight to business as always. I have your gems right here.” Greedy said as he unhooks himself and then pulled back the cover on the wagon to reveal a wagon full of gems.

Nova grins as he inspects each gem. There is no doubt in my mind that these two are working together to get our gems. I lean in closer to hear what they were talking about.

“And what of those dogs in the caves. I hear that they are having a hard time right now.” Nova said as he starts eating the gems.

“Yes, that is a tragedy for them. They were my best customers for gems here, pity.” Greedy said as he dusts off his suit.

“And as usual those dogs are too dumb to realize that they are being played. Do you remember the time that they were rob by a bunch of mares?”

“Yes, and the gems went to the use of designer dresses. We got a great thing going on here Hooves, but soon we are going to have a problem on our hands.”

“You just make sure no other ponies make it to the caves and I will deal with those dogs.”

“And what will happen when they do run out of gems? How will they be any more use for us?” Nova asked as he continues to eat the gems.

“Well, that’s why I have you now don’t I? Once they do run out gems. I need you to drive them out of there. Force them into the wilderness to find another mine for us.” Greedy said casually.

“You know you are a despicable pony Hooves, which is why I like you.”

“Yes, yes Nova I know. *Ahem* I will contact you again when I need to talk to you again. For now, keep up the good job.” Greedy said as Nova took the cart away and leaving him alone. “If only that big oaf was as corporative as Nova; I would prefer a much larger dragon working for me, instead of this small fry.” He said to himself before heads back the way he came.

I waited thirty minutes after they left before I got out of the bushes. Things just got serious here we need to let the pack know of the inedible fight.

“Come on you two we have to... guys?” I then notice that they haven’t gotten out of the bush yet. I then parted the bush to see that they have fallen asleep. I woke them up by kicking their feet. “Get up! We have to get back to the cave and warn the others.”

“Uh, technically it’s a mine.” One of them said.

“And technically you two are going to be dead meat if you don’t get up right now!” I shouted at them.


After we made it back home I had Rover gather the rest of the dogs for me to tell them of what I have discovered. They all looked scared with good reasons.

“So that is it we are going to be forced out of our home or be doom to die by a dragon,” Spot said.

“No. We are not. We are going to get rid of the dragon. Once the dragon is gone; the other ponies will return. And then we can prosper.” I said.

“And just how are we going to get rid of a dragon Ed? It is a Dragon! Even you lost to one remember?” Rover said to my left.

Pausing for a moment I turn to look him directly in his eyes making him shudder “Yes, I do remember Rover. I remember it every day as the worst day of life. How can I ever forget screams of my pack running in fear, how can I ever forget the size and the power of that dragon, and how can I ever forget of how IT wounded me for life!?” I finished my statement raising my right arm in front of him before I put it down. “But things are different. For we know he is coming.”

“And what good will that do us?” another dog said.

“A great deal.” I then turn to face the rest of the dogs in the room.

“Let no dog mistake what is happening here. We are being oppressed by a pony and a dragon who is taking advantage of us. For they know that we won’t fight back and that we are expecting us to lay down like a good little dog, and do nothing about it.” Some of the dogs looked away from that statement. “But not anymore. We are not the little dogs that listen to what others tell us what to do. We are Diamond Dogs and it is time that we start acting like ones.” The dogs in the room nodded in agreement. “But that is only the beginning, for even if we do get rid of the dragon; other will try and take over our lives as they and others had, but I say no more!” I shouted. “We are survivors and we are fighters and we will stand up for ourselves. Let it be known! On this day, the Diamond Dogs are going to fight for our Independence.” I got a mix reaction from that.

“I know I have only known you all for a short time and now I am now asking this form you all. But know that I have had enough of seeing my fellow dog starve to death, or to be forced out of their homes they had spent their whole lives making by some greedy creature. We are not mindless creatures that are meant to be eradicated, we are Diamond Dogs and we will fight back! I will fight this dragon and any more like him how to try and take advantage of us with or without your help. So now I ask you all, will you help me fight for our future or will you lie down on the ground, like the good little dog every living thing thinks you are?”

“NO!” came a huge shout from the crowd.

“So now! If any dog wants out, let them speak now!” Not one dog objected. I then turned to face Rover and his companions.

“Alright then. Spot, I need you to wait on the surface and inform me once Greedy Hooves returns to trade with us. I would like to have a word with him.”

“On it.” He said moving towards the surface before he stops and looks at me. “Who?”

“Greedy Hooves. That the full name of the pony that has been trading with us.”

“Oh! Got it.” He then left the room as I address the rest of the dogs.

“Fido, I want you to get a team together and gather up the remaining of the supplies we have in the lower part of the mines and move them to the upper regions, as far as you can form the main entrance.”

“Got it.” He said as called out some dogs in the room to follow him.

“Rover, I want you to get your best digger together; and arm the guards for battle. Also, get a dog to give me a map of the mine.”

“You seem very confident Ed. Care to share what is your secret plan on how are we going to beat a dragon?” he asked me as every dog got to work.

I then turned to look at him with a grin. “Oh. Rover, there seems to be a mistake of my words on your part.” I said as I got the plans of the mines from another dog. “For we are not going to beat the Dragon.” I then open them up on a table nearby to start planning.

“We are going to Kill it.”

Author's Note:

let me know what you all think. I would like comment.