• Published 11th Dec 2016
  • 395 Views, 7 Comments

A Nation Divided... - Silver Inkwell



When war spreads across the land of Equestria, ponies must choose a side between the two sisters, but Ruby Crystal has no plans to get involved in this war, but when she is forced to choose a side, who will she pick and join?

  • ...
2
 7
 395

Training and Ceremony

Chapter Four: Training and Ceremony

“So this ceremony thing,” Ruby said, “When is that going to be exactly.”

“Oh,” Orion said from behind the curtain as she was being outfitted to a new uniform (and he was behind it out or respect since every pony was already naked), “That would be after you complete all your training and have a new nickname, and speaking of that how do you like the sound of Chrissie?”

“That sounds very good, but is it really the best?” she said.

“I don’t know, I suppose that Red could also work too because of Ruby you know, Red Ruby, get it?” he said, and even from the other side of the curtain she knew that he would be smiling that very stupid grin of his whenever he made a joke, or at least tried to. “Yes, I get it, very funny,” she said.

“I sense some sarcasm there, but wait, I have a new brilliant genius idea,” he said. “Oh,” she said, “And I thought here that just having an idea would be a new experience for you, but I was wrong apparently, who knew.”

The mare dressing her snickered and smiled at their little tiny exchange.

“Hey, I can think, like for example, I thought that you were just very shy when I first saw you, but now I
know that you can be very brave and loud instead.

And hey, maybe that should be your nickname, Mirror Shine, that sounds good, doesn’t it? Oh wait, that name might already be taken up, damn it.”

“Hey, watch your language,” she said, “I don’t like swearing at all, ever.”

“Well excuse me princess,” he said very snootily, “I’m sorry that I have to shit over your little tiny innocent mind, but this is the real world so shut the fuck up,” he said and then, “Are you done yet? It sure has been a while.”

“No, I’m not done yet, just wait a little bit longer” she said very loudly and then she looked up at the dress maker with horror and shock and some slight surprise and then asked very softly, “Does he always swear like that?”

“No,” she said, “He doesn’t, but when he does he is always trying to make a point, so don’t you mind him at all, even if he seems a bit rude and cold and cruel at certain times, he’s had to break too many hearts you know.”

“I don’t always swear like that, I’m very sorry,” he said to emphasize her point, “And I’m also very sorry if I seem a bit rude or cold or cruel at times, it’s just that I have broken too many hearts already, and I can’t bear to stand and watch as I break yours, and I only say this now so that you may know what walls and barriers I have set up in my heart, I won’t let any pony in anymore, but that still doesn’t excuse my behavior or actions or language.

That’s all for now I guess, but if you wanted to start over again…”

“I wouldn’t mind that,” she said, “What did you have in mind?”

“Dinner?” he said, “And no, not the romantic kind, just a talk.”

"Okay then,” she said, “That’s fine with me, and I think that I am finally done here now,” she said as the other mare smiled and then nodded very politely.

“Oh thank goodness,” he said “I was starting to die of boredom out here.”

And with that said Ruby drew back the curtain to reveal the new gray and black uniform with a bit of silver to represent the moon.

“Wow, I never thought I would say this, but, it actually looks good on you,” he said, “Yeah it might not be romantic material, but it’s still very good.”

“You know that it is,” the sales mare said, “But why you burned yours I will never know, and speaking of that I have your new uniform right here.”

“Wait,” Ruby said as the sales pony handed him his new uniform as he whined very loudly and complained about everything wrong with it, “You burned one?”

“Actually, I burned three of them instead, or, wait, was it four or five? Hold on, wait, let me count. There was the first on I had, I threw that one away, the second I lost in the closet, the third I lost in a battle or fight, the
fourth one I burned, then the fifth I also burned, but the sixth, that one was just damaged too much from wear and tear, the seventh I also burned, the eight got too wet once and shrank to be too small for me, and the ninth and tenth I also burned.

Huh, it was five, yes definitely that, I have burned five uniforms before.”

“And this is number eleven, and I don’t want you to burn this one.”

“I won’t,” he said taking it and then leaving with Ruby, “Thanks a lot.”

And with that said they went on and once they were far enough away he finally decided to speak, “Yeah, I’m definitely burning this one and every one until number nineteen or maybe twenty-five instead, or forty-two or forty-three instead and please don’t ask why those numbers, just don’t, please, ever.”

“Alright, fine then,” she said, “But do you expect to burn that many?”

“I really don’t know since I can’t decide my favorite number or color now.”

“You have to be joking me, surely you have a favorite color and number?”

“Correction: had, I had a favorite number and color, now I don’t.”

“But why?” she said as they slowly approached Coach Octavia and her physical fitness class where she would have to build up her strengths.

“Because I like to change that just as often as my fake name, wait no, that’s not true, I change that more or less than my fake name, sorry about that.”

“You’re forgiven,” she said, “But why change anything about yourself at all?”

“For secrecy, it helps when an enemy doesn’t know your name or anything about you, in fact if I ever were captured I would say that I had no name at all, which is technically true depending upon how you look at it.”

“And I bet you’re all about technicality too,” she said.

“Yes, I am, we all are, we embrace and love it, and here we are, Octavia’s class, good luck, I have to go now, other duties to do and such, but I will be back again to take you to your next class, so don’t worry, you’ll be just fine.”

And with that said he went off leaving her all alone as she stared at Octavia.

“Well then, hello there recruit 02081999, it’s nice to see that you could finally get here on your first day on time due to Orion, but come now, we have work to do and I’m not one to just stand around all day and talk, I give orders and you obey, okay? First one of the day, give me one hundred pushups right now!”

And with that said every pony went down to the ground and started to do them much faster than her, and she guessed (and soon would later find out) that these were not new recruits, they had been in the system for weeks, months, or even years (and yes, some ponies did still have to practice to be better and improve).
And so she eventually managed to do it, after every pony else.

It also didn’t help when Octavia called her names and insults during the whole entire exercise, but to be fair she did call every pony names and insults too.

“You’re just a slimy filthy slow slug!” she would say, “You’re nothing at all!

You’re completely worthless! My grandparents can go faster than you!”

These were just some of the many insults, and after the exercise was done and Ruby had exhausted herself and was very tired Octavia blew in her whistle.

“Alright every pony! Listen up! It’s time that you run around this whole entire place and area following the green arrows if you are new, if not, well then you already know where you should go and what to do, and also I’ll be waiting for all of you at the halfway mark with a very special prize for some pony special.”

And with that said every pony readied themselves to run, “On my mark!” she said, “One, two, three, go!” and with that said they were off running very fast.

Ruby tried to keep up, but she couldn’t even get close to the last pony in line and could barely keep them in her sights until the halfway mark however, and that was where she saw Octavia waiting with some cold fresh water.

“The water is for every pony,” she said, “But getting out of the race is not, but I do have a challenge of the mental mind for you, and if you can complete it then you get to have a ride back with me by magic or flight, whichever one works out the best for you and doesn’t involve walking or running. Now then, what is the challenge, well it’s simple, just retrieve that flag from that pole without wings or magic,” she said pointing to a very tall pole where the Republic flag hung high.

“Good luck, and begin,” she said as every pony tried desperately in vain to try to climb up the pole, but it was no use, it was too slippery and slick and straight and they could not get up, and after many tried and failed attempts Octavia finally blew her whistle again, “That’s it every pony, nice try, but it’s time to get back in line now” and with that said they did, but Ruby didn’t.

“Hey there new recruit, didn’t you hear what I said? Get back in line!”

But Ruby didn’t, she just went up to the flag pole, looked at it quietly for a very long time, and then used her hooves to unscrew some stuff and then the flag pole suddenly fell over and she went over, picked up the flag, and then handed it over to Octavia, “No wings, no magic, just as you said, and I was about to say that I got no turn or chance, but then I realized that would be no good at all against you, so I decided to teach you a lesson instead, be smart and wise, not fast, because sometimes you can miss the small tiny little details in life.”

And with that said she smiled and said, “Now then, where’s my ride back?”

And with that said she smiled as two pegasi came over and lifted her up into the air and dragged her along back to the start where she rested.

Eventually every pony came back and then every pony soon left except for Ruby because Octavia wanted to talk with her privately.

“You did very well for a newbie, and you were and still are the first one to ever figure that out, that’s very good, I just hope that you can do equally well with your other trainers, I also just hope and wish that you will do much better and improve, you also did much better than I ever expected you to be.”

“Thank you,” she said, “But can I ask you one question?”

“Sure, what is it?” Octavia said with a smile as Orion came back.

“Why did you ever give up your music?” she said.

Octavia dropped her smile very quickly, “That’s another story for another time, but for now all that you need to know is that I gave it up for a much greater goal and quest and that you also have much more training to do.”

And with that said she tried to hide her tears as she hid her face and then Orion came over and saw her crying, “What was that all about?” he said.

“Nothing,” she said lying, “Absolutely nothing.”

“Alright then, fine, if you say so,” he said.

And with that said they both went on their way through the schedule.

Next was codes and secrets and decoding them with Miss Cheerilee, after that it was lunch, after that it was research in the library, and then after that magic and physical combat training and then finally it was dinner after that.

And that was basically it for every day of every week for many months and very gradually she got better and eventually became one of the best in the class.

And very soon enough she learned all that she needed to know and then eventually the time for the ceremony of her completing training.

“On this very special day we celebrate the completion of our latest and newest recruits, we are very honored to have them here so that they may serve us and that they may protect our legacy and finish our goals and quests, may they be a symbol and represent the New Lunar Republic, may they live long and fight very well, may they never fall or fail in battle, may they always remain strong and loyal, and may the night always live on, and may the light from the sun and day realize that the darkness and shadow isn’t so bad after all.

My sister and I once ruled these lands together, but that time is now gone, now it is a different time, one of war filled with pain and sorrow and despair.

I wish that I could stop it, but I can’t, not without your help.

But I know that you all what I want, peace in these lands.

But we will prevail, we must if we are to win and bring peace.

If we fail then the consequences would be too dire and great to ever say.

But today is not just a ceremony, but an announcement too as well.

But we will win, come this next Summer Sun Celebration we will attack.

And I know that many of you have concerns, but do not worry, you will be safe until then, but I have a plan that will save all of us, even my sister too.

Until then do your regular ordinary stuff until I say not to, that is all.”

And with that said she started to hand out the pins and medals as talk went around the whole entire room, why were they attacking, and why so soon?

Yes, the celebration was a very ideal attacking time, but was it the best or most sane? The princess would have the most security, but very soon enough their fears would end with the words or Orion, Luna, and Ruby herself as well.

Author's Note:

Next Chapter: The Attack

So (please) stay tuned for more!