• Published 13th Dec 2016
  • 1,767 Views, 78 Comments

Ponies in war - General Sparky



Ponies are meant to be thought that war was never going to happen, little that they know that the opposite is actually true. How would they react to the horrors of war? And could they even make it back to Equestria?

  • ...
20
 78
 1,767

First Battle of Singapore (part 1)-The Begining

The assault on Malaya(now know as Malaysia), Hong Kong and the Philippines was coordinated with Pearl Harbour.

This will focus on the battle of Malaya and Singapore.


7 December 1941, Malayan coast
Historical Facts:
Planes started started bombing coatal defences in North Malaya. Long Range Bombers were also sent to bomb Singapore. The British had only old planes for air defense and most could not even be launched due to the speed of the Japanese Bombers. The Japanese bombers managed to bomb the most of the aircrafts on the ground and only a few British fighthers took off. This proved useless as the Japanese has much more better fighters than the British. The Japanese managed to get Air Superiority over the British.

The landing crafts were launched to northern Malaya as a follow up to the air strike. The British Defenders were suprised and unprepared for this attack. Despite desperate resistance along the landing site, the Japanese managed to secure a beachead after fighthing.

The British HQ in Singapore decided to send HMS Repulse and HMS Prince of wales to the northern coast of malaya to stop the landing. But was sunk two days later by Japanese Bombers. These two battleships formed the bulk of Singapore's naval defence. With them sunk, Japanese had naval superiority over the British. Despite the British having the 'strongest navy' in the world, most was spent in the Battle of the Atlantic.

Over the course of two months of fighting, the British was forced to withdrew to Singapore. The captital city, Kular Lumper, was captured on the 17th of December. The reason for such a loss was that the British has no tanks while the Japanese has light tanks. The British also has untrained soldiers that wore brown uniforms, meaning that soldiers has no experience in battle, some even couldn't load a rifle and was sent to battle and the Brown uniforms make them obvious in the jungle, and was an eazy target for the Japanese.

The Japanese, on the other hand, has experienced soldiers, camoflauged, and used bicycles to advance. Whereas, the British had to run to battle or retreat, meaning the Japanese could advance quicker than the British. Air superiority also meant that the British has no air cover and meant that British soldiers could be killed from the air.

By 31 January 1942, the last of the British soldiers retreated to Singapore, and the British blew up the Causeway, in a desperate attempt to slow down Japanese advance. But by now, the British has around 90,000 troops in Singapore, the Japanese only had 30,000.

To make matters worse, the Japanese was low in suppiles from all of that advance. Yamashita has two choices: Advance and hope the British will surrender or wait for resupply and reinforcements.

Yamashita chose to advance while the British is weak.

Yamashita managed to fool Percival that the attack would come from the north-east but actually, the attack would be from the North-west.

From 7 to 15th of February, Both sides fought. By the 15th, Percival was so low on suppiles that the fighting could only carry on for one day and that the fighting would take place in Singapore city, where the local population is. Wiston Churchill sent a letter to Percival on the 13th, It was writtened as follows:

There must be no thoughts on saving the troops or the civilian population. The battle must be fought to the bitter end at all costs. Commanders and senior officers should die with their troops. The honor of the British Empire and the British Army is at stake.
-Winston Churchill

Yamashita, despite winning the battle, fears a street by street fight and maybe will run out of ammunition. It is now who will give up first.

Surprisingly, the British, despite having more men, surrendered to Yamashita on the 15th of February 1942.

The surrender costs the British 80,000 men captured and 5000 men dead or wounded. The Japanese won the battle at the cost of 5000 men dead or wounded. (Casualties for the Battle of singapore only)

Winston Churchill called the battle the 'worst disater' and the 'largest capitulation' in British History. The British lose around 120,000 troops in total for the Malayan Campaign and the battle for Singapore.


British HQ, Singapore 1st February 1942, Perpective: Percival

My men has blown up the Causeway and is now just waiting for the Japanese to strike. How foolish was I? The Japanese will now advance from the north and those guns in the south could do nothing! Nothing! Percival thought.

I could only hope for a miracle to happen to win this battle.


Off the coast of Singapore, 1st February 1942, Perpective: Rain

Finally, after two years, this carrier was completed. Now, I just need to find where and when are we at.

This carrier was based on the Nitmitz-class carrier.

"Now, where are we?" I ask one of my crew.

"Based on this GPS and radar, I say we are near Singapore, around the time of early February 1942 where the battle has not happen yet."

"How many contacts?"

"Around two destroyers patroling the coast of Singapore, Sir."

"Excellent. Prepare to fire defensive missiles."

"Yes, Sir!"

The destroyers, which spotted us started to communicate via radio.

(Translated) "Weird looking carrier, where are you from?"

I replied, "We are from the Equestrian Navy."

"Never heard of it."

I stared at the radar, don't know what to reply. If I said I was with the IJN, these two destroyers would leave us alone. But if I say we are from the Royal British Navy, they would open fire.

To make things exciting, I repiled, "We are here to help to British. Let us enter, if not..."

I could here some laughther on the radio before their guns started to fire.

Luckily, those shells missed. I ordered, "Fire missiles!"

After two missiles were launched, the two destroyers sunk.

"Full speed ahead! Make sure we reach Singapore ASAP!"

"Yes, Sir!"

We reach the Harbour within one hour. I told my men to prepare launching F-16s on the Flight Deck.

I was surprised by the coastal defences. Their guns were pointing North and not towards the sea. Must be in perparation for the coming battle.

I ordered a British Flag to be Raised so that the British would not fire at us. We were cleared for entrance and was allowed to dock in Habourfront.

When the carrier was docked, a lot of British troops was moving around, trying to see the carrier.

All was peaceful until the radar sensed a bomber squadron was coming and alarms atarted ringing and everypony rushed to battlestations. Despite the fact that this carrier was at port, the carrier could still launch Aircrafts.

"Orders, Sir?"

"Launch Fighters and prepare Surface to Air Missiles!(SAMs)"

"Yes, Sir!"

F-16 Fighter jets soon took off from the diagonal flight deck, not the usual pratice of that time but who cares.


Perpective: Spitfire (a F-16 pilot)

Anti-air crafts guns started to fill the sky with explosions and gunfire.

Honestly, I wonder how do aircraft pilots of this time managed to fly through thier own Ground Based Air Defence(GBAD). Dodging these were eazy, soon we spotted the Bomber squadron.

We were very far from each other, the Bomber squadron was slower than ours, I would laugh at them later.

I fire a couple of missiles and those planes disappered from the radar. I am 100% sure that they don't know what hit them. Planes of this era would fight at close ranges with thier front cannon or machine gun but for us, we could shot them down without them even knowing.

The planes exploded in the Air above Malaya I think. These planes did not even cross the Strait and was downed. I kind of feel pity for them but Orders are Orders. I was about to fly back to the Carier when I recieved a new one: bomb the Palace of Johor, something like that.

When I was nearing the target, I fired any missiles I had left in my F-16. I wanted to question the Order but Orders are Orders. Only later did I realised that the Japanese Commander, Yamashita, was in the Palace, spying on British Troops.


British HQ, Singapore Perpective: Percival, 2nd February 1942

My men told me that a British carrier has arrived in Singapore. I at first thought it was a joke, but when I went to Harbour Front to see it for myself, I was surprised and shocked but nonetheless happy. I heard that the Commander of this ship is a pony called Rain.

I would give him a good scolding later, for his plane just bombed the palace of Johor, disregarding British Foreign Policy. I was told later that Yamashita was killed in the bombing which gave my troops a morale boost after the string of defeats in Malaya.

I went up to this weird looking carrier, usually, carriers are rectangular like ESS Independence, but this carrier has a diagonal flight deck and a rectangular flight deck, though the rectangular one was rarely used.

I went to see this Rain pony, and I was in for a big shock. Rain was a Mare and usually COs of carriers are male. What she told me was more shocking.

She says she is from the future, and the carier was also from the future. She told me that she came from Equestria, which I have honestly no idea where that is and she says this battle will be of great significance for the British Military.

During the meeting, She said, "Singapore will be attacked from the North-west. You will surrender this garrision of 90,000 troops to the Japanese within 8 days of battle. And... be remembered for surrending this city not for trying to defend this city."

I do not know how to react to that and my only defence is "Do you have any proof?"

She then lead me down the carrier and took a book titled: The battle of Singapore. In it, it shows where exactly where the troops advance and retreat, the deception plan that Yamashita has used and the reason why I surrendered Singapore

I stared at the book, angry at the fact that my senior commanders did not tell me this when they know this.

Rain later said, "Take the book, you will need it and if you need any help, all you need to do is ask."

"I will"

With that I walked away, going back to Fort Canning HQ, trying to plan from there.


The Next Day

After serious planning, I ordered most of the troops defending the North-east to be moved to the North-west. And started building last ditch fortification in the North-east and North-west.

I later went back the carrier to ask Rain something.

"Are you willing to help me?"

"Yes, but that depends on what help you need."

"I need you aircrafts to defend the sky and the sea. My troops will defend the North."

"That can be done, but what about your suppiles?"

"I don't know..." I replied as I looked on the floor.

"Don't worry, you can always request help from the Austrailians."

"What do you mean?"

"Look, you are not getting any help from Britain anytime soon. Australia is your next closest bet."

"That might work, thanks Rain." I don't know why, but I could have sworn I sounded like girl when I said that last sentence.


Perpective: Japanese 25th Army

With the loss of Yamashita, the Japanese morale quickly fell. With Air and Naval superiority returning to the British, troops moving to the north-west of Singapore and suppiles are running low in terms of Ammunition, Japanese Commanders must wait for resupply and plan a new battle plan. This will take up a lot of time.

The only way is to wear the British down with artilery bombarment in the north-east and then launch an assault there. But this would mean moving troops from the west to east and by then the British would have realised this. The only thing to do now is to take a defensive stance. To prevent the British from crossing the Strait and to starve out the British Defenders.

Author's Note:

1) Rain has entered the Battlefield, WW2 will not be the same again. 2) I typed this in one go, so if there is any spelling or historical mistake, feel free to criticise in the comments. 3) Should I put Twilight and Sparky to fight this Battle? Tell me in the comment section 4) This Nitmitz-class carrier is named ESS Shining 5) I am not critisising anyone in this battle. The British just made mistakes that the Japanese exploited in the actual Battle, you couldn't balme anyone for it.
6) Please leave constructive comments below so that I can Improve this story for you guys. :pinkiehappy:
That is all, General Sparky out