• Published 19th Jul 2012
  • 4,432 Views, 70 Comments

There is an I in Generosity - TundraStanza



A guy becomes the Element of Generosity. I know. I'm not funny.

  • ...
14
 70
 4,432

Ch. 1: I've never had a lucid dream before

Chapter 1: I've never had a lucid dream before

...

Darkness gave way to faded light. I blinked a couple times. Then, I shook my head in bewilderment.

Did I just space out there for a second? I thought to myself, That was weird. I had completely forgotten what I was doing before my alleged space out. My surroundings didn't look familiar either. The room I was in was mostly dark, save for the small light source shining from above me. I couldn't immediately tell if that was the sun or an incandescent light bulb.

I saw a sort of figure in front of me. It wasn't moving and it had an overly colored fabric covering most of it. The faceless head of the figure kind of reminded me of those pictures depicted as "slender pony". But the fabric was definitely the wrong color if that was the image this figure was going for. Tilting my head in slight confusion at the sight, I reached up a hand to verify this figure's physical existence.

That's when I saw an odd, white sleeve enter the corner of my vision. When I tried to move my hand, the sleeve moved in a sort of mimicry of the motion that I was trying to do. It was starting to annoy me.

Wait a minute, I thought, If this thing moves when I try to move my hand, does that mean it... is my hand? Absentmindedly, I set the "hand" down. This whole situation was weird. I didn't have a clue what was going on.

"Rarity!"

I turned my head to look for the voice. I could have sworn it was Claire Corlett I was hearing. When I did see the speaker, I saw an image that put things in perspective (at the time). It was an image of one of the fillies in a cartoon I always watched.

Sweetie Belle, I thought, Well, that explains it then. I'm dreaming. I've watched one too many episodes and now I'm seeing her in my dreams.

"Rarity, are you almost done?" asked the dream Sweetie Belle. I looked around the dream room in an attempt to find Rarity. Wherever she was, it was kind of rude that she wasn't answering the best Cutie Mark Crusader. Though, she didn't seem to be present. I guessed the dream was taking a few lines I had heard in the show, distorting them, and playing them back like a record player. I recalled an old explanation that dreams sometimes shuffle information like that.

"Rarity, answer me," whined dream Sweetie Belle. While she looked adorable doing that, I couldn't stand to watch a pony cry, even if it was a dream image. I decided to tell her the bad news that Rarity wasn't in the room.

"Sweetie Belle," said Rarity's voice. I looked around trying to figure out where Rarity was. It took me a second before I realized that the sound happened when I tried to say the name 'Sweetie Belle'. I coughed a little and noticed how similar it sounded to Tabitha St. Germain's British accent. I couldn't hold back a giggle. Rarity's voice tickled my throat in more ways than one.

"What's so funny, Rarity?" asked dream Sweetie Belle.

Huh, I thought, That's interesting. The dream's questions actually make sense based on my actions. Usually when I had dreams before, the events never made sense. But here, the person in my dream asked a question that made sense if another person was laughing at something that wasn't funny to anyone else.

Is this perhaps a lucid dream? I thought to myself, I've never had one of those before. I stood there a few seconds thinking before I realized that 'Rarity' had yet to answer the question.

"Erm, nothing," I managed to say with that pretty, Tabitha voice, "Don't worry about it."

"O...kay," dream Sweetie Belle slowly said while raising an eyebrow, "Anyway are you done yet?"

She must be talking about that dress, I thought as I looked back over to the wrongly colored 'slender pony'. Recalling the show, I figured it must actually be one of Rarity's mannequins she keeps in the shop. I wasn't a fashion expert myself, but the outfit looked pretty much done.

"Y-yes," I stammered slightly, "I believe I am."

"Great!" perked up dream Sweetie Belle instantly, "Now you can come play with me!" She ran over to the dream door at the back of the dream room.

"Come on!" she chirped happily.

Ah, why not? I thought, After all, tomorrow night will probably involve a different dream. I might not get another chance like this.

"Right," I confirmed out loud and started walking over to the dream door. As I came in front of that door, I was surprisingly stopped by a motion from dream Sweetie Belle's hoof.

"Uh, Rarity," she put forward, "Aren't you going to take off your work glasses?" I lifted my hand, er my dream hoof, and felt something just beneath my eyes. At the bottom of my vision, I could see a curved red lining. Those must have been the glasses that dream Sweetie Belle was asking about.

"O-of course," I stammered, "Silly me." I turned around and found a dream desk with enough space left to put Rarity's dream glasses on. But then a slight problem occurred to me.

I don't know how her magic works, I thought, and it would kind of look weird for a unicorn to use her hooves to put something as simple as this down. I decided to wing it (not literally) and closed my eyes ever so slightly. I imagined the dream glasses floating gently from my dream face over to the dream desk. To my good fortune, the imagination was a success and a pair of red glasses appeared on the desk. The red curves under my vision were also gone, meaning I did that right and didn't perform some weird summoning spell.

Then, I briefly wondered why it had mattered how I had set the glasses down. It was just a dream after all. I shook my head before turning back around to follow dream Sweetie Belle out the door.

"You promised I'd get to pick the activity today," she said in a sincere, pleased tone.

"I suppose I did," I confirmed not really knowing if 'Rarity' made that promise or not.

"So..." dream Sweetie Belle paused for a dramatic effect, "We're going mud diving!"

---

The 'mud diving' as dream Sweetie Belle had aptly named it involved exactly what it sounded like. That is to say, it involved her diving into the mud. Said mud splashed all over both of us and she was laughing like she was having the time of her life. I couldn't help laughing at this as well. Poor, dream Rarity was getting soaked by the wet dirt and I didn't care. Her laughter was music to my ears.

Dream Sweetie Belle insisted that I perform the diving part as well. That involved me climbing the same tree branch that she had just jumped from. I briefly wondered how I would go about climbing the tree with hooves. Then I remembered that this was a dream. I would either climb it easily on some unspoken force or fall through the tree to some strange dimension. I was relieved to experience the former.

Unfortunately, since this was a lucid dream, my subconscious mind reflected my conscious mind. My fear of heights in real life translated to a fear of heights as I stood on top of the dream tree branch. I bet I was shaking and shivering on my bed in the real world.

"Come on, Rarity!" called dream Sweetie Belle, "You can do it!" The kid's encouragement snapped me out of my fear-induced trance.

What am I afraid of? I asked myself, This is a dream. I can't die from falling from heights. Still, I ended up letting out Rarity's voice in a scream as my dream hooves left the branch. A splash and a brown wave confirmed my landing. I shook in place a bit before wiping dream mud out of my eyes. Dream Sweetie Belle looked at me with a smile before both of us broke out in laughter. I bet few other lucid dreamers could never say they had such a truly memorable experience with Sweetie Belle.

---

I was kind of worried when I had to get into the dream shower. Even though I didn't have a bed wetting problem anymore, there were those occasional times where water in my dreams indicated that the sheets were going to be covered with more than sweat in the morning. Though, the feeling of mud covering my body felt more prominent than the other worry. Contrary to sensible thought, I figured that dream Rarity would appreciate it if I kept her body clean and pretty. So, I got in and turned on the hot water.

After letting the pleasantly warm water sufficiently rinse off the dirt, I got out and grabbed a towel. It was fitting that it was a purple towel to dry off Rarity's purple mane. The dream bathroom's mirror wasn't covered in fog like a real mirror, so I could see Rarity's face easily. I half-expected the reflection to perform different expressions than I made. Then again, this was Rarity's image not Pinkie Pie's. I couldn't expect the dream to be too random.

Looking around, I found a hair brush that I assumed was Rarity's. Using a stray thought, I managed to surround the brush with a familiar, light blue aura that moved it in a manner fitting for proper use. In just a couple minutes, the mane in the reflection shined in its pretty, dark purple and practically glittered in the light. I took a moment to stare at her blue eyes in the mirror's reflection. They seemed so life-like for a dream.

Eventually, I left the dream bathroom and started heading up some stairs that I assumed led to Rarity's bedroom. It was strange how time made sense in this dream, moving forward at a continuous pace. It was much darker now than when the dream had started.

"Good night, Rarity!" called dream Sweetie Belle.

"Good night, Sweetie Belle," I replied using Rarity's voice gently. Before the filly ran up the stairs, I leaned down and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek. I don't know what compelled me to do so, but she smiled at the gesture nonetheless. I took my time walking up the stairs, hardly giving a thought to how I was walking on all fours. I shrugged it off as dream logic.

Once I pushed open the bedroom door, I walked over and climbed in under the covers. Absentmindedly, I looked over and found a sleeping mask on Rarity's night stand. I mentally shrugged as if to say, "Why not?" Another stray thought along with another aura of blue floated the mask over my eyes as I laid my head against the dream pillow.

That was fun, I thought, I wish I could have lucid dreams like this more often. Though, I'd kind of like to dream through the eyes of Twilight or maybe even Fluttershy. I wonder why my subconscious put me in Rarity's place. Oh well. As my eyes shut in this dream, I began to mutter the lines from one of my favorite songs from the show.

"~I'll be the toast of the town, the girl on the go
I'm the type of pony everypony, everypony should know
I'll be the one to watch, the girl in the flow
I'm the type of pony everypony, everypony should know...~"

---

The next morning, I opened my eyes. At least, I thought I opened my eyes. Yet, something was blocking my vision. I reached up a hand to try and grab whatever cloth was in the way. I managed to move it slightly and light poured in the crack of space to blind me. Slowly, I opened my eyes again to readjust them to the light. Something was definitely wrong with what I was seeing.

I didn't recall having red blankets on my bed. I also distinctly remembered having a standard bed, not a canopy bed. The last time I checked, I didn't have a pony-shaped mannequin in my bedroom. Since when were my bedroom walls light purple?

At this point, my breathing was getting shallower. Nothing was as it should be. I reached up both of my hands to lift the cloth item that was still blocking some of my vision. In doing so, I saw appendages that were clearly not hands. They looked more like... well... those noodle things that kids swim with in the pool.

"What is...? But... huh?" I managed to say. But that wasn't my voice. It was Rarity's voice through and through.

"That wasn't a dream?" I asked aloud to no one.

In Tabitha St. Germain's British accent, I let out a scream.