• Published 22nd Nov 2016
  • 2,863 Views, 44 Comments

The Little Pony Legend: Legend of Everfree - MaggiesHeartLove



After defeating Kuvira, Korra decides that the former dictator still has one final mission to complete...helping the Rainbooms to restore their lost magic. Can she find the courage to overcome her past?

  • ...
10
 44
 2,863

The Magic will Always Remain

*(~)*

Romans 6:17~

But thanks be to God that though you were slaves of sin, you became obedient from the heart to that form of teaching to which you were committed,

*(~)*

The Magic will always remain

The following day, after all of the guests had left, Team Avatar, guided by Gloriosa explored deeper into the caves, finding even more sparkling multicolored geodes that contained strong essence of Equestrian magic within them. Korra and Equestrian Twilight traced their fingers across them, and nodded in silence to each other.

"How old is this cave?" Twilight asked Gloriosa.

"I don't know. Hundreds, thousands of years, maybe."

"That's what I thought." Twilight and Korra walked closer down the path, only to find a long ditch inside, almost deep enough for one to fall into a pitch black abyss.

That is, until they saw a shimmering glow not too far down. The two gained their wings and gently flew downwards to see where the glow was coming from. And just as they suspected, it was indeed magic from their world.

Which had leaked into the cave via a second portal that led to the Everfee forest in Equestria. It was smaller, compared to the mirror back home, but it most certainly was a piece of it. It had the same energy, the same exterior, even the same rippling effect when one placed their hands through. Twilight extended her hand, to which she saw it turn into a hoof again.

"Camp Everfree. Everfree Forest." Korra said, examining the mirror-like portal, extending her hand into it where it came out from the other side. "Makes perfect sense to me."

(~)

The others watched as the two, along with Kuvira and Equestrian Applejack, earthbended each and every last geode, placing them all into plastic bags, while wearing protective gloves as to not get effected.

Pinkie Pie spoke first, "Okay, so let me get this straight. There are really two portals that lead from Equestria to this world. The one Pony Twilight used was a mirror for her to come to Canterlot High. But the one here leads to the Everfree Forest in Equestria there to here at Camp Everfree, which opens once every thirty moons--whatever that means--so the geodes absorbed the magical energy from the portal for all this time, and the HUGE amount of Equestrian magic was what gave Gloriosa, Kuvira and us our new powers when we came in contact with them, after they already stole our magic when we first came here years ago!"

Pinkie inhaled a deep breath, her eyes practically bulging out of her head before exhaling.

"That about sums it up." Twilight said.

"But, how is there a second portal?" Equestrian Rarity asked, "I thought the only one was the mirror Twilight had."

"Actually, The mirror originated from the Everfree Forest." Sunset said, "When I first discovered it, I did some research but all I could find was that it was forged from a mirror in the Everfree forest into a mirror to keep it safe in case anyone wandered into it."

"Well, they must not have gotten all of it." Korra said, "That portal was small, but big enough for Equestrian magic to sink through every time it opened."

"But how did the geodes get effected?" human Fluttershy asked.

"Well, some gemstones can absorb magical energy and sustain it."

"Like absorbing electromagnetic pollution?" Human Twilight said.

"Kind of. And since they absorbed it every single time the portal opened, more and more magic got sucked in, to the point that they became fully magical stones. Since this world doesn't have magic as its main source like back home, here it works differently. It manifests a person's deepest desires, transforming what they are inside, into the outside. Basically, any magical powers you guys have is a "reflection" of what's already there."

"Like when we pony up." Human Applejack said.

"Or how our powers match our personalities." Rainbow Dash said, demonstrating her super speed.

"The same thing happened when I unleashed the magic in the Friendship Games." Twilight said, "The magic reacted to what I wanted and distorted it. Like Korra said, magic here is more "literal" and reflective."

"That explains the plant powers." Gloriosa said, looking down at her own hands, "The geodes knew how much I wanted to keep this land, so they gave me domain over it. Even the ability to make a copy of my brother."

"Well, that explains why you got it, but, how did I get my magic?" Kuvira asked.

It was then, Gloriosa remembered, "Of course! When we shook hands, I felt the geodes react somehow. I didn't think of it before, but maybe when we touched, the geodes reacted and gave you the same powers as me."

"But, a lot of us have been around the geodes and nothing happened." Kuvira said, only to have Korra place her hand on her shoulder.

"Like I said, the magic here manifests what's already there." Korra explained, "Unlike Gloriosa or anyone else here, you and the girls have already been exposed to Equestrian magic. You're an earthbender, which means you already have magic. The geodes must have sensed it, and maybe…it sensed how similar you two really are."

The realization caught both Kuvira and Gloriosa by surprise.

"Gloriosa wanted to keep the camp at any cost and used her powers for just that. You, on the other hand, used them to save everyone." Korra placed both hands on Kuvira's shoulder, making eye contact. "Tell me, Vira. What do plants represent?"

Kuvira blinked, her eyed darting back and forth in thought. "Uh…earth?"

"Well, yeah, but most importantly, they represent something you needed. Growth."

It was then, everything clicked. The powers, Kuvira coming here, meeting Gloriosa, making friends. It all finally made sense.

"You knew, didn't you?"

"Well, I didn't know about the crazy plant lady." Korra leaned to the side, waving awkwardly at Gloriosa. "No offense!"

"None taken." Gloriosa replied, only to have both Sunset, Starlight and Twilight wrap their arms around her.

"Join the club!" the three said in unison.

"But, before I came to see you, and after Sunset and Starlight told me about what was going on, I had one of my prophesy rhyming things."

Revenge was sworn

A heart torn

From the ashes of doom

A flower is in bloom

Separate souls, a single heart

Two tragic ends

Can have a new start

"I didn't entirely understand it before, but something was telling me that you coming here was the best thing for you. And, it was a hunch but…maybe, you could find someone you relate to."

Kuvira didn't know what to say. She could have spent the rest of her days in that cold prison cell, mopping about her past, and instead, this merciful princess offered her a chance to change. To grow. And she did it by not only opening her heart to those who wanted to help her, but also come to understand someone else. She didn't think she could help change anything, but as it turns out, she could. All she needed was to face her fears, and when she did, not only had she gained new friends, but also helped another person, so much like herself, from falling into darkness.

The former dictator wrapped her arms around Korra, crying into her shoulders. "I'm sorry I hurt you. And I'm sorry you had to go through so much just to save me from my own mistakes."

Korra wiped away Kuvira's tears, smiling warmly. A smile only a mother, or sister could give. "Saving my friends…is worth every scar."

And that was enough for Kuvira. She didn't feel she couldn't change. She now knew, one hundred percent, that she was not the person she was before. That version of herself was long gone, just like the Demon Sunset Shimmer, Midnight Sparkle, or even the Equality obsessed Starlight Glimmer. They may have been them before, but not anymore. Because they had found a magic that broke this shackles and gave them what they really needed.

"So, what are we gonna do about these things?" Bolin asked, holding one of the heavy bags with the stones inside.

"Once we cross over into Equestria, they should be less of an issue. The longer they remain here, well…you know."

The Rainbooms, Flash and Gloriosa included, all gathered together, holding their respected geodes in their hands. They nodded in silent agreement.

"It's for the best." said human Twilight.

"What do you mean?" Sunset Shimmer asked in confusion.

"We think it's best we give up our powers, along with the geodes."

"WHAT?!" everyone shouted in unison, some dropping the bags they were carrying.

"B-B-But you'll never pony up again!" Apple Bloom exclaimed, "You guys will never be able to levitate anything, or talk animals or--" she was silenced when Applejack rose her hand up.

"It's okay, Apple Bloom We know what happens if we give them up. But, think about everything that's happened in the past. Four times, we've had folks misuse magic they didn't understand, and it nearly cost the entire world."

"Yes, but we've done so much good with it!" Equestrian Twilight said.

"Because we had you." said Fluttershy, to Sunset, Twilight and the rest of Team Avatar. "All of you. Without you guys, we never would have fully understood our powers, and we never would have been able to stop any of the evil we fought before. But this isn't high school anymore. You all have families, and jobs, and we have our lives too."

"We missed the magic when it first disappeared, but we never felt it was completely gone." said Rainbow Dash.

"You're right." Korra said, smiling proudly, radiating with all the poise and confidence of a true princess. "I know it's heartbreaking to have to give up your new super powers, but keep in this in mind; You never would have gained them if you didn't already have them."

"What do you mean?" Pinkie Pie asked.

Korra nodded to Sunset, allowing her to step forward, speaking to all of her human friends. "Pinkie, you will always find a way to make anything burst with color." Sunset Shimmer said, "Fluttershy, you're a natural with animals, and you always will be. Rainbow Dash, you're the fastest chick I know, and you never think twice when it comes to helping your friends. Rarity, you shine brighter than any diamond. Applejack, your physical strength is nothing compared to your strength of will and determination. Flash, buddy, you said so yourself: Protecting your friends is your job. And Twilight, you started out so much like me. Scared, confused, and maybe a bit selfish. But I've seen you grow into such a strong, confident and creative person. And I couldn't be prouder. Even back during the freshman fair, while I was still bitter at the time, I could always see that you all shared a special kind of magic….The Magic of Friendship. In fact, when you think about it, all this time the magic from the portal didn't really change anything. It just physically showed what we always had inside, and who were always meant to be."

Twilight wiped away her tears. "Sunset's right." she turned to face her friends. "Even if we're saying goodbye to our physical powers, we never have to say goodbye to the magic inside of us. The kind of magic we never would have discovered all on our own, and we should spread that same magic to others who need it."

The Rainbooms couldn't agree more. Even without the ability to run at super sonic speed, or lift a car with one finger, or create diamonds out of thin air, it didn't change who they have become. The magic they always had, it was something that will never fade away, no matter what came their way. Even after they all began living their own lives, their friendship was still just as strong as it was, if not stronger.

Their choice was made. Standing together, while holding their respected geodes. With all of their concentration, auras of blue yellow, pink, orange, white and purple extended from their bodies, into the geodes themselves. Once the process was complete, they handed the stones to the Princesses, who took them with a heavy heart. It didn't feel right to take these powers, but they were right. Not everyone in this would could be trusted with this kind of magic. These talented people were making such a great sacrifice for the safety and well being of others. They really have grown.

"I'm sorry." said Princess Twilight, shedding a tear.

Human Twilight smiled in reassurance, and wiped away the tear. "Don't be. If anything, we thank you. For everything." The two Twilights shared a hug, while Equestrian Flash carried their little daughter, who giggled at Human Twilight. "By the way, have you guys decided on a name for her yet?"

Human Pinkie Pie rose her hand enthusiastically, "Oh, oh, can I pick? How about….Cookie Cream Pie!"

"Ooooh! I love it!" Equestrian Pinkie said, smiling with glee.

"Actually, we've already chosen a name." said Princess Twilight as she and her husband held their little bundle of joy in their arms. "Akari. Princess Akari."

Korra and Mako knew why they decided to name their child this. Since they had already named their own daughter after an Equestrian rainbow flower, Twilight and Flash gave their own child a name originally from their world. And it fit perfectly, because the name itself meant "light", which matched the child and her heritage to a T. Just like their daughter's name did.

Sunset smiled, "I think it's perfect." she said, before giving the child a kiss on the forehead.

The Rainbooms all huddled together, welcoming Sunset in a loving embrace, along with Kuvira, Starlight, the entire Team Avatar. Gloriosa was hesitant to join, until Kuvira extend her hand and welcomed her in. Even without their powers, the Rainbooms could still feel that familiar spark from the day they first all became friends. It was still there, and always will be.

(~)

"Okay, so we know this week at camp has been…a memorable one." Principal Celestia said, standing underneath he gazebo with her sister and Gloriosa. "So, after much thought, and some speaking with your parents, Gloriosa decided to expend our stay for one more week!"

The students cheered happily. While their stay wasn't a complete downer, it sure would be nice to enjoy some camp fun without any magical incidents this time.

Kuvira stood a few feet away, leaning against a tree. Team Avatar Harmony was just about to leave, until she spotted Asami Sato talking with human Rainbow Dash. During all this time, she had yet to fully approach the pregnant woman, but she figured now was as good a time as ever. With a deep breath, she walked on over. Asami nodded to Rainbow, allowing them to have a moment to talk. The multicolored haired girl complied.

"Asami…I…this isn't easy for me to say, and I know it's even harder for you to hear. But, I just--"

"Kuvira." Asami interrupted, crossing her arms, "I'm not going to lie. Every time I look at you, I feel…this sense of anger. And don't get me wrong, I know you've changed. You saved all of these people, and you helped someone overcome their own past. I'm proud of you for that, I really am. And I know how hard it is to get over something. Unfortunately, that's something my father and I have always had in common. I don't let go of things so easily. I've been hurt by the people I trusted my heart with, which has made me stronger in experience. But, I'm still mad because…" Asami didn't know what else to say at this point.

"I'm sorry." was all Kuvira could manage to say. "I know I hurt you, and I've been beating myself senselessly for taking away the only family you had left. I know, nothing I say or do will ever change that, and I don't blame you for not forgiving me."

"That's just it. I already have."

Kuvira was speechless. This was not the kind of response she would expect from Asami. "What?"

"I'm not angry about what you did to my father. Not anymore, after seeing how you've practically starved and worked yourself to death because of it. I'm mad because…because, neither of us had the courage to talk to each other about it. I'm mad for not confronting you about it, and I'm mad you never spoke to me about it in person."

"I was scared."

"So was I. I was scared of loosing it, and making you even worse than you already did."

"But, you forgive? When?"

"The moment I saw you exit from that new portal, I saw the regret in your eyes. And after giving Bolin a hard time after he came back, also after giving my father and even harder time…" Asami fiddled with her fingers a bit, looking down, "And the times where I was hard on Korra and Mako when I was younger. I didn't want to repeat that cycle anymore. But, I still am. I didn't visit you because I hatted you, I didn't because after hearing about what you've been going through I didn't want to make matters worse. And I'm sorry."

"You have nothing to apologize for." Kuvira said, "I took something from you. You have every right not to speak to me."

"Still, you were a victim just like he was." Asami said, "He fell into his pride and grief, just like you did. After hearing about Gloriosa and her brother making amends…it inspired me to finally do that with you. I made amends with my father before he died…and if he was here, I know he'd forgive you too. Because, aside Gloriosa or Korra…he'd be another person with whom you would relate with."

Kuvira, never imagined that the woman who she felt she owed the most….would be saying such heartfelt things to her. All this time, she believed Asami would feel nothing but hatred towards her, but instead, she showed forgiveness. This was so unreal. She didn't know what to do. Well, her instincts told her one thing.

With tearful eyes and sobs, she hugged Asami, who was startled at first, but slowly returned the gesture. She allowed Kuvira to cry, while Asami herself shed a few tears. No more words needed to be said. All was said and done, and Kuvira felt even lighter than before.

Then, suddenly, a flower began to bloom from the ground up, much to their surpass. Asami looked at Kuvira, who only shook her head and shrugged. She didn't do this. Not this time. The flower was a lotus, which was peculiar indeed. Its petals were closed until they opened once more. The petals began to open, emitting faint sparkles of gold, revealing a wooden circular object inside.

Asami picked the object, her eyes widened in astonishment. Her breath caught in her throat as she held the little wooden object. It was a Pai Sho tile…the Lotus tile to be exact. It was her father's favorite tile because he always said it reminded him of Asami.

"How…how is this possible?" Asami asked, only for the two of them to hear a familiar howling, being carried in the soft breeze that blew their way. The leafs spiraled around them and reached all the way up into the air. A smile formed on Kuvira's face.

"I guess Timber was doing a friend of favor." she said, making Asami feel even more joyful than she already did.

"Asami!" Bolin called out to his wife, "Come on, we're going home."

(~)

Team Avatar Harmony bid their farewells to everyone, Twilight and Rarity levitating all the bags of geodes, ready to take them back where they belonged. Starlight decided to go back home, having missed her husband, and to help the girls figure out the whole geode situation. Sunset, on the other hand, decided to stay for the extra week to spend more time with her old friends.

Starlight hugged human Fluttershy one last time. "It was so good seeing you again, Starlight."

"You too." Starlight then waved at Flash and Twilight, "Congrats, again!"

Korra also bid her farewells to the Rainbooms, and each one had a turn in holding baby Iris, and even Akari. Pinkie Pie was the last one to hold Iris. The little baby sucked on her finger, "Aww! She's so cute!" she cooed and Iris stopped sucking her finger, which emitted peculiar little sparkles as a result.

"She sure likes to suck on fingers, don't she?" said human Applejack.

Mako gently took the baby back, "Weird, she's never done that before." he said, as Iris started sucking on her own thumb, which made everyone who laid eyes on her swoon at the adorableness.

Asami noticed Gloriosa eyeing her peculiarly. "What?"

"You know, you look a lot like one of the characters from LKT."

Upon hearing the name Asami frowned. "Oh yeah. That show. It took me years to finally get over that ending." a brief pause passed and then she snapped again, "Why did they do that to Kendal, after all that built up! Just, why?!"

Then, Gloriosa chuckled nervously, "Oh, uh…then I suppose you won't be happy to hear about them making a movie following the finale, huh?"

Asami's eyes widened and Bolin face palmed himself. "Here we go."

"Yeah. And they're taking it right where the show left off."

Asami's eyes were still wide, while her left one started to twitch. Bolin sighed and turned to his sister-in-law. "Korra, would you mind?"

Korra rolled her eyes but complied by creating a bubble around Asami, who started to angrily rant her frustrations about the news. Thankfully, the bubble was sound proof so nobody could hear what she was saying.

"How long does this go on for?" human Rainbow asked with a deadpan stare.

"Twenty minutes." Bolin then gently pushed the bubble inside the cave, with his wife still ranting. "Let's go, honey. I'll make you some tea when we get home."

While Asami was having another episode, Korra and Kuvira hugged one final time. "Have fun."

"Thanks again, Korra."

"Don't worry about it. I'm the Princess of Friendship, it's what I do."

The two laughed as the group parted ways. Even the sirens got to say farewell to the Rainbooms. Words could not express the relief and joy they felt when they were forgiven.

"Come back soon, okay!" Pinkie Pie said to the girls.

"We will." Sonata said.

Adagio and Aria gave Kuvira a regretful look. "I know we only pretended to be your friends before but…you think we could start over? When you get back?" Adagio said hopefully, to which Kuvira simply replied with a gentle nod and a kind smile, silently replying 'yes'.

With that, they all made there way into the cave, throwing each of the bags into the portal, and one by one, and each of the Team Avatar members waved farewell. With each other's help, they managed to get through the portal, with Korra and Iris being the last ones. Once on the other side, which was really a cave in the Everfree Forest in Equestria, near the Tree of Harmony itself, the team speculated on the geodes, who's magic was already beginning to stabilize due to finally being in their home world. So long as they remained here, they wouldn't cause any more trouble.

"So, what do we do about these things?" Spike asked, picking up one of the geodes. "And the portal?"

However, Korra looked at the geodes and then at the small portal. She traced her finger across the surface, sensing the magic of the stone. A smile formed across her face. "I think I know exactly what we can do."

(~)

Back at Camp, while everyone resumed their camp activities, Kuvira decided it was high time to tell the Rainbooms something she had been hiding from them. The girls noticed Kuvira's uneasiness and circled around her, showing visible concern.

"What's wrong, Kuvira?" Fluttershy asked.

"Girls, there's….something I need to tell you. You're already aware of my involvement with the sirens and what I did to Republic City but…" she hung her head in shame, closing her eyes tightly. "I did something, to someone and--"

"We know." Rainbow interrupted, catching Kuvira by surprise.

"What?"

"We know about what you did to Asami's dad. We always did."

"What?!" Kuvira rapidly turned to face Sunset, who blushed. "You said you didn't tell them!"

"Well, you were already feeling bad enough as it was. Besides, I didn't directly tell them how it happened, all I said was that Hiroshi didn't make it."

"We just put two and two together." said Rarity, "It really wasn't hard to figure out when she told the story, honestly."

Kuvira felt she would cry again. "Girls, I'm so sorry I didn't tell you. I feel so awful for what happened and--"

"Kuvira." Applejack interrupted by placing her hand on Kuvira's shoulder. Smiling compassionately. "We meant what we said. We're here for you no matter what. Whatever you did in the past doesn't change it. We're your friends, don't ever doubt that."

And Kuvira didn't doubt it. Not anymore.

(~)

Kuvira was having the time of her life with her new friends, fishing, singing around the camp fire, having pillow fights, and taking pictures with her new friends. She formed such a bond with each of them. Rarity designed her a new camp outfit, she and Pinkie made delicious treats with Safron, she sailed with Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom, rock climbed with Rainbow Dash, they even had a sing-a-long time around the fire, with Flash and Twilight playing acoustic guitar for others to sing to their favorite songs.

Sunset had a blast spending time with her old friends again, and having Kuvira around was just the icing on the cave. Gloriosa and Kuvira bonded quickly, becoming fast friends, sharing experiences, even having some moments where they would cry together. Kuvira never imagined she would feel so at home here. She spent the entire week helping campers, taking the lead in some activities, and basically forming relationships built on trust. She felt they trusted her, and she trusted the Rainbooms with her friendship.

Sunset Shimmer:

Somewhere's a book

With chapters still blank

All:

Insi-i-ide

Rarity:

It's the book of our lives

And the story is ours

All:

To write

Sunset Shimmer:

Ours to write

Applejack:

Some pages fade

While others are black

All:

And whi-i-ite

Fluttershy:

And the story begins

Again every time

All:

We try

Applejack:

Every time we try

All:

And hope shines eternal

And friends are all I need

(All I need)

And hope shines eternal

(Shines eternal)

And the future is always bri-i-i-ight

When you're here with me

The words "thank you" would never be enough to express the gratitude she felt towards Korra, Sunset, Starlight and practically everyone else. She was even grateful to Timber Spruce, for showing her forgiveness was indeed possible.

Speaking of Timber, Gloriosa was beyond words when she saw what the campers did for their second camp gift. A large wooden statue of Timber himself, with his wolf form beside him. On the pedestal from which he stood, there was a metal plate that read: "The strength of the pack is the wolf. And the strength of the wolf is the pack."

This gift was the greatest thing Gloriosa could have ever received. Her brother would always be a part of this camp, in mind and in spirit. Even if he wasn't physically with her, from that day forward, she could still hear the soft melody of howling in the night. A sure sign her little brother was always watching over her.

Twilight Sparkle:

I've fought through the darkness

And come out the

All:

Other si-i-ide

Rainbow Dash:

For rain clouds will clear

The way for the

All:

Sunny sky

Applejack:

The way for the sunny sky-y-y

Pinkie Pie:

I've been afraid

And it stayed through the longest

All:

Ni-i-ight

Kuvira:

Through the longest ni-i-ight

Pinkie Pie:

But morning still comes

And with it, it brings a light

Kuvira:

Oh, it brings a li-i-ight

When the day to leave came, Gloriosa and Kuvira promised to always stay in touch, and bid farewell to the Rainbooms as well, congratulating Flash and Twilight once more. The two friends made their way into the cave, but Kuvira looked back once more. Seeing everyone still standing at the opening. With a longing in her heart, she ran forward and hugged them once more. She didn't have the words to express how she felt for them. Howe much they have come to mean to her. She finally understood what friendship really was. And this time, she was sure to never let it go again.

With tearful eyes, but with a new heart and new purpose, Kuvira and Sunset made their way into the portal, once again, returning home. But once thing was certain, this was not the last they would see of the Gloriosa Daisy, Camp Eveerfree, or the Rainbooms. That wasn't just hopeful or optimistic thinking. That, was a promise.

Everyone:

And hope shines eternal

And friends are all I need

(Friends are all I need)

And hope shines eternal

(Shines eternal)

And the future is always bri-i-i-ight

The future is always bri-i-ight

Yeah, the future is always bri-i-i-ight

When you're here with me

(~)