• Published 18th Nov 2016
  • 4,366 Views, 171 Comments

Under Her Wing - Tinyweasels



Rainbow Dash is a human in Equestria. A story about finding your place in a world where you don't quite fit in.

  • ...
9
 171
 4,366

Chapter 18 - Restoring Harmony and Facing the Night

Chapter 18 – Restoring Harmony and Facing the Night

The Everfree Forest was strangely quiet that night. The creatures that dwelt there kept to themselves, lurking in the disturbing dark while magical torches lit up a well-worn path as Rainbow approached then extinguished themselves as she passed. Rainbow noticed a strange illumination in the distance, in the direction of the castle. Apparently she was expected.

When she arrived at the castle there were no lights on; the only illumination was the moon and the radiance from the Tree of Harmony in its cave. There was no sign of Princess Nightmare, which she was glad for. She knew there'd be Tartarus to pay for what she said earlier and was not looking forward to that reckoning.

Rainbow made her way into the ravine below the castle and approached the cave. The illumination was intense but she could vaguely make out a pony shaped form within the light. She wondered who would be in there. To her knowledge Harmony didn't take physical form.

As she approached the cave she lost track of the pony. As the illumination from the Tree of Harmony filled her awareness, she stepped into the cave, the illumination dimming to acceptable levels.

"Okay, you know why I'm here,” Rainbow led in. “I've cooled off a bit, so I can talk sensibly. Have you been manipulating me my whole life? Like Twilight said, are we just your puppets? Why did you make me human? You know I would’ve given anything to be a pony. I would’ve been an awesome pegasus. You trap me in this place where I'm forever surrounded by something I can never have. Always reminded I'll never have.” The sadness weighed on her and she sat on a rock before the Tree. "Did I ever have the chance to be anything else or was my life on rails to be what I am now? When I was over on the human side, did I even have a choice to stay or go, or did you already program me to return?"

Rainbow was not surprised to have her questions met with silence. She began playing her guitar, still struggling with her emotions, unsure of what kind of resolution or closure she hoped to achieve here.

She played for a while and glanced up at the Tree briefly. "So, let me guess, when Scootaloo was here she asked to stay in Ponyville, with me? No, don't bother answering. I already know the answer. I could see it in her eyes the night I told her that story. 'Please let me stay'. So, am I really a good match for her or is that another thing you're manipulating me to do? Did you twist Lady Golden Meadow's special talent to help convince me?" she said, with hurt in her voice.

"So many questions, Rainbow," a female voice said.

Rainbow felt a chill run through her. It was a voice she recognized, one she hadn't heard in years. She turned quickly to confirm her worst fear and instantly snapped back to the Tree. "That's low. Discord, if you're doing this, you really crossed a line."

She heard the soft hoofsteps approach and she didn't want to turn around again. She wanted the phantom to go away.

"Not even a greeting, Rainbow? Aren't you glad to see me?" the burgundy unicorn asked and put a hoof on Rainbow's hand.

Rainbow pulled away from the unicorn and stepped back. "You're not real. You're not my mom. My mom's dead.”

The pony stepped up to her and took Rainbow's hand between her hooves and held it gently as she looked up at Rainbow with a tender smile. "The last thing I felt was you holding my hoof."

Rainbow began to tremble and tears began to run down her cheeks.

"The last thing I heard was 'Goodbye, Mommy,’" she said softly.

Rainbow fell to her knees and embraced the pony and began sobbing. If this really was Discord's doing, she made a mental note to thank him before she killed him.

"Mom, why are you here?" Rainbow asked, not releasing the pony, never wanting to let go.

"You needed my help, honey. You're angry and you feel used and betrayed by all those around you. Everything you believe suddenly feels like a lie. I'm here to help you understand why things are the way they are. To understand who and what you are. It was felt that talking to a living pony might just feel like they're trying to manipulate, but having me here might add more weight to the truth."

"I don't understand any of what's going on, Mom. Who am I? What am I?" Rainbow sobbed.

Azalea Dash hugged Rainbow tightly and rested her head against her daughter's. "Rainbow, dearest, you feel trapped between two worlds and two natures. And in fact, that is more true than you know. Rainbow, when your human parents decided to have a child, they were so enchanted by Equestria, they decided they wanted their child to be a part of its future so they did something remarkable.”

The world around them began to change and they were inside a large tent. Rainbow saw her human parents in their early twenties, talking with several zebra, all alchemists by the look of it. Rainbow took note of a young mare with a mystical spiral cutie mark that was with them.

"Is that Zecora?" Rainbow asked in surprise.

"Indeed, just starting her apprenticeship in the craft."

The scene played out as her bio's explained their plan. They wanted to have a baby pony and to do so, what they planned was to use potions to transform themselves into ponies to conceive a child. When the potion wore off, her mother would carry the child to term as a human and right before delivery she'd take another potion and turn back to pony and give birth to a foal.

Rainbow was speechless by the revelation.

Azalea Dash gave a playful chuckle before she continued. "But wait, it gets even more amazing. Where did those pony forms they'd be using come from?"

The world around them changed again and Rainbow saw a teenage Fullbright Dash in the same tent talking with the same zebra. Fullbright was asking for a potion to help him overcome his fear of heights and when it was provided and he offered payment, the elder zebra instead of asking for bits asked for a feather and a lock of his rainbow mane, which he gladly provided. Then the scene changed again and she saw an unfamiliar pink pegasus mare asking for help in high altitude flight and the zebra again asked for a feather and lock of mane.

The world around them changed back to the time with Rainbow's biological parents and they watched the alchemist begin mixing several potions and Rainbow watched in amazement as the feathers and mane of her pony dad and the mare were used to make the transformation potions.

The scene shifted again to when the couple were alone and they consumed two of the potions. Rainbow's mouth dropped open in astonishment as she saw that her human father now wore Fullbright's body and her mother that of the pink mare.

"B-but... that means, Dad really, really is my dad!" Rainbow stammered in amazement.

Azalea smiled and hugged her daughter. "Rainbow, honey, you aren't just an imitation Rainbow Dash, shoved into a mold meant for another. You really and truly are the one and only Rainbow Dash. You are who you were always meant to be. That's why you have a pony's magic and a cutie mark. Discord accidentally prevented your original destiny, but destiny isn't easily thwarted, so it found another way for Fullbright and Firefly to have a foal, however, your mother chose not to use the second potion and gave birth to you as a human."

Rainbow hugged her mom tight and buried her face against the mare's chest and sobbed.

"Rainbow, Harmony didn't kill me. That was my time, and it still would have been my time even if I'd never met you and your father. The only difference would have been my dying alone in that hospital room. Firefly is still alive, so for you to become you it wouldn't have required the death of another. You've always had your freedom, Rainbow. You've met your biological parents—do you really believe they could have worked things out and been a happy couple?" Azalea asked as she lifted Rainbow's head up and wiped her tears away with a gentle hoof.

Rainbow gave a half-hearted laugh. "They'd have killed each other eventually. Never in a million years would they be happy together."

The world around them changed again and Rainbow now saw different paths her life could have taken in the human world. She saw herself as white trash living in a trailer park with a bunch of kids. She saw herself as a highly decorated Green Beret. As a gold medal wining Olympian. A champion UFC fighter. She saw herself on stage performing at a rock concert. She saw herself in an 8X8 cell, wearing an orange jumpsuit, her mane shaved off and covered with tattoos, awaiting her execution. The last one was her riding a Harley-Davidson through Death Valley, with a guitar strapped to her back, riding off into the sunset.

"Rainbow, you had your freedom the night of Nightmare's return. You had the freedom to join her."

"Yeah, but she admitted later that she lied to me and that she wouldn't have been able to turn me into a real pony."

"But you didn't know that at the time. I'm very proud of you, Rainbow," she said with a kind smile.

"Hey, it's what awesome heroes like me do for a living," Rainbow said proudly.

"Rainbow, your parents left you in Equestria because they understood you were more a part of this world than theirs. It was not an easy decision and one that still haunts them to this day, but your going to them, forgiving them, has eased that burden."

"So there was no manipulation?"

"Well, you and your friends were all nudged in certain directions. It wasn't mere chance that put you all in Ponyville at that time. Nothing forced you and your friends to follow Nightmare Moon into the Everfree Forest that night. There is destiny, but it has to be chosen. Let me ask you a question, Rainbow. If you had to choose between saving a pony's life or become a pony yourself, which would you choose?"

Rainbow gave her mom an annoyed look for even having to ask. "Saving a pony's life, of course."

"In a sense, Rainbow, that's what happened. While you lost something precious to you, another pony close to you would have lost so much more. You weren't the only one whose life was changed by Discord's action. The destinies of two entire planets were forever changed by his actions."

The world around them changed and they now were looking at Sweet Apple Acres and the Apple family was posing for a group picture. Rainbow smiled as she watched Ma Apple fussing over her brood to make sure they all looked good for the camera. As Rainbow watched the image changed, Ma and Pa Apple faded from the scene and moments later Candy Apple as well. Apple Jewel transformed from styled and hooficured to rough and casual, wearing her father's Stetson.

"What happened to them?" Rainbow asked in alarm.

"Rainbow, if things had gone the way they were supposed to, you would have been born a pegasus and the Apples would have suffered a terrible tragedy a few months after Apple Bloom was born. On a trip to the Badlands to visit relatives, your friend's parents would have perished in a flash flood and with their deaths. Candy is never born. So for some, Discord's meddling was a blessing in disguise."

Rainbow had to turn away from the image, too horrified and unsettled to even think of such a terrible event.

Her mother took her hand and smiled up at her with a kindly smile. "Rainbow, I know you're very fond of Mother Apple and I don't mind at all. In her heart you're like another daughter to her and for that I'm glad."

Rainbow sighed, "Yeah, she's really helped me through some rough spots."

Azalea leaned against Rainbow. "Has any of this helped, Rainbow honey?"

"Yeah, Mom. I think it has. Being an Element of Harmony is a big responsibility at times and sometimes I just don't understand what it all means."

There was silence for a little while as Rainbow enjoyed the comfort of her mother's presence after so long. Finally Azalea stirred.

"It's time, Rainbow. I need to be on my way," she said, resting her head against her daughter.

"No! Not again! Don't go!" Rainbow pleaded desperately, turning to face her mother.

"Sorry, honey. I could only visit a short time," she said as she hugged Rainbow. "Honey, as for Scootaloo, just trust your feelings. You understand what she's gone through and what she needs. And be kind to Starlight Glimmer. She needs your loyalty."

Rainbow wiped her eyes, watching her mother fade away. "Okay, Mom," she said softly, taking her mom's hoof in her hands and holding it until the mare had vanished completely.

Tears still streaming down her face, Rainbow waved her hand through the now-empty space where Azalea had stood. "Goodbye, Mommy," she whispered. She wiped her eyes and turned to the Tree of Harmony. "Thank you," she said with a smile. The tree began glowing and soon the radiance filled the room like it had when she first arrived.


Rainbow stirred—the first thing she realized was she was in a bed. Her first thought was another crash. She opened her eyes and the architecture of the room said this was Everfree Castle. She got up and stretched. She wasn't in chains so she approached the door and tried the handle. It opened and she stepped out into the hall.

"Lady Rainbow, good morning," a voice called to her. She turned to see a bat pony, Captain Grimdarke, Nightmare's captain of the guard.

"Hey, Grimmy. What's up?"

"Lady Rainbow, how in Tartarus did you manage to make her majesty that angry last night?" he asked in annoyance as he approached.

"I may have told her to 'shut the %^&* up' and called her 'Moon-Butt' and stuff," Rainbow replied sheepishly.

He gave a start of surprise and then face hoofed. "She has far more restraint than I ever imagined. She seems to have calmed down and she said I was to bring you when you had awakened."

Rainbow shrugged. "Time to face the music."

As they approached the throne room, Rainbow could hear the sound of someone casually picking the strings of a guitar. She suddenly realized her guitar was gone and she wracked her brain trying to remember which one she had grabbed when she left her house.

They entered the massive throne room and sitting on her throne was an anthropomorphic Nightmare Moon, in her armor, and in her hands was Rainbow's great grandfather's guitar, the princess experimentally playing it.

"Ah, Rainbow, I am so glad you could join us," the princess said coolly. "Guards, attendants, leave us. This is just between Lady Dash and I."

The guards and servants all bowed and quickly exited the room. The doors closed and Rainbow noted the silence spell that enveloped the room.

"This is a wondrous instrument, Rainbow," the princess said.

"Uh, yes, a very special instrument, princess," Rainbow said hesitantly.

"Oh, I'm 'princess' now, am I?"

"Look, princess, I'm sorry about last night. A lot was going wrong and stuff," Rainbow stammered, her eyes on the guitar rather than the princess.

Nightmare's horn glowed and a small circle appeared on the floor. "Rainbow, stand in that circle."

Rainbow hesitantly did so, not wanting to annoy the princess when she had a hostage.

"Rainbow, as your princess, I command you to be silent. Not one word until I have had my say."

Rainbow nodded.

Nightmare resumed playing. "I've done a bit of homework. This is a Martin Dreadnought. An original, made during a human era called 'The Great Depression'. One of only 91 made. Its kin are in museums or in the collections of the wealthy, but that doesn't even matter to you. Your loyalty to tradition is too great to part with such a treasure."

Rainbow watched as a variety of musical instruments appeared in the air. Most were archaic wind and string instruments.

"In ancient of days,” Nightmare continued, “when a minstrel played for my sister and I, if they had an interesting or magical instrument, I took it for my collection. Hmm, it has been a while since I made a new acquisition," she mused as the guitar took its place among the others.

Rainbow watched in silent anguish.

Nightmare glanced mockingly at Rainbow. "No, that wouldn't teach the lesson I want you to take from this," she said as she returned to her throne and the guitar floated over to her as the other instruments vanished.

She took the guitar on her lap and played a few notes. "Hmmm, it seems out of tune," she said and began turning one of the tuning keys on the head. She kept turning and turning the steel string began making distressed noises. Nightmare looked to Rainbow and watched her squirming. The string snapped like a shot. "Oh dear, that one was out of tune. What about the others?" she asked and she now grasped them in her magic and turned each of the five remaining keys at different speeds.

Rainbow writhed in agony as the strings snapped one by one.

"I am impressed, Rainbow. I didn't think you could shut up that long. Actually, you may say just one word so I know I didn't accidentally silence you magically."

"%^&*()#!"

"Ah, you can indeed talk. Well, remain silent. Your element is loyalty, the element I personally esteem above all others, yet you forget your place in the scheme of things," she said and a dagger appeared in her hand and she dangled the point menacingly over the body of the guitar.

"Rainbow..." she said and jabbed the point into the lacquer finish of the guitar. "Do not EVER speak to me in such a manner again!" She emphasized each word with a cut on the guitar. "I am an alicorn! I am a ruler here! The sun and moon move at my command! I am far more ancient and powerful than you can imagine! I am accustomed to being obeyed! I am due your respect!" she shouted at Rainbow. "If you will not respect my status and authority, then you will respect my power!"

Rainbow watched as Nightmare got up from her throne and approached her. She handed the guitar to her. The princess had carved a rough version of her lunar profile into its body.

Rainbow looked at the guitar, tears beginning to run down her face.

Nightmare’s anger began to ebb from her features. "Rainbow, despite all of this I do consider you a friend, and that's not a word I use casually. To me there is family, friends, and everything else. There was a time once when it would have been you rather than your guitar receiving that punishment. That is all I had to say, Rainbow. You may move and speak freely.

Rainbow held her tongue as she wiped her eyes as she looked over the defaced instrument.

"The silent treatment is it?" the princess asked in annoyance.

"If I said what I want to say right now it would only get me killed," Rainbow said coolly.

Nightmare gave a weary sigh. "I really am going soft," she grumbled. "As I said, I do think of you as a friend, so consider this your one and only warning.” Her horn glowed, the broken strings rejoined and the cuts in the guitar faded away, but now in the wood grain itself was the lunar profile.

Rainbow let out a long sigh of relief. "Thanks, princess," Rainbow said with a big smile as she hugged her guitar.

"Rainbow, disrespect me like that again and the guitar dies and I make you watch. Do you understand?" the princess stated gravely. "In the future, if you have a quarrel with me then let us speak in private, as friends would."

"Message received, loud and clear, Princess Nightmare," Rainbow said and bowed deeply.

Nightmare took on a small smile, but only a small one. "Excellent. You are dismissed. And do apologize to Celestia too."

"Will do, your highness," Rainbow replied with a smile and hugged Nightmare Moon.

The princess tensed awkwardly. "Rainbow, should I also mention that touching royalty is another thing you're not supposed to do?"

Rainbow wisely bid a hasty retreat before she became the first person killed by an Equestrian princess armed with a guitar. As she walked along the halls of the castle she heard the gallop of little hooves.

"Raaaaaaaiiiinnnnnbowwww!" Luna shouted as she approached.

The little princess came up beside her and looked up to her with a big smile as she hugged Rainbow.

Rainbow stopped and bowed. "Hello, your majesty," Rainbow said in a dignified manner without returning the hug.

Luna looked up at her strangely. "What's that about? No hug backs?"

"Princess Nightmare, let's say, made me scarily aware I wasn't showing proper respect to Equestria's princesses, so no first names and no touching royalty."

"She was pretty mad at you. Did you do something bad last night?" Luna asked suspiciously.

"Yeah, I guess you could say that. Maybe calling her 'Moon-Butt' was out of line."

"You called her 'Moon-Butt'?" Luna asked in astonishment and began laughing so hard she fell over and was rolling on the floor.

Rainbow hoped she wasn't tempting fate by even talking about this to her. "So, she reminded me that I need to show respect."

When Luna finally regained her composure, she stood and wiped away the tears of laughter. "Well, those rules only apply to Moony," Luna said and turned her head up haughtily and spoke in a snooty accent. "I, Princess Luna, demand hugs in tribute from my loyal subjects and you have my princessy permission to call me Luna," she said with a big smile and hugged Rainbow, who now returned the hug with equal affection.

When the hug ended, Rainbow resumed walking while Luna hovered at eye level beside her to keep pace as Rainbow gave her an edited version of the events of the previous night.

"I'm sorry for Moony getting so mad at you, Rainbow. It wasn't a nice night for her either. She was helping your friends in their dreams and later that night she looked through the veil of time and space and saw what had changed for her, what was supposed to happen the night she returned. She wouldn't tell me what she saw, but it wasn't good," she said sadly, but then gave a bit of a smile. "But if what didn't happen was bad, then what did happen was good, right?"

"Right!" Rainbow replied with a confident smile. "She's got two awesome sisters that love her, a whole country that loves her and six of the best friends a princess could hope for. What more could a princess want?"

"Right!" Luna replied enthusiastically. "Rainbow, is Scootaloo coming back soon? It was nice to get to spend time with other fillies for a change."

"Yeah, she'll be back again, soon probably," Rainbow said with a smile.

"Oh good! I'd like to meet the friends she made in Ponyville. They sounded so nice. It gets lonely here at the castle."

"They don't let you have friends your own age?"

"Well, Tia feels the foals of the Canterlot nobility wouldn't be a good influence. Moony just calls the nobility and their offspring 'loathsome vermin', so they protect me from them by keeping everypony away. Maybe that's why when Moony and I were at the tree with Scootaloo it told us both to make some friends!"

Rainbow had sudden traumatic flashbacks to Nightmare Moon's first social visit to Ponyville during her first Nightmare Night a few years back and gave an involuntary shudder. Friendship and Harmony just didn't come naturally to Nightmare Moon for some reason.


Once she had said her final farewells to Captain Grimdarke and Princess Luna, Rainbow took the path out of Everfree. The constant gloom of the forest couldn't even bring down the good mood she had. She began to casually play her guitar as she walked, and as she neared the edge of the forest the world grew brighter.

When she finally escaped the gloom and stepped out into the sunshine-laden and gloriously colorful world of Equestria her fingers began playing a tune and a particular song leaped to mind. She began singing Johnny Nash’s classic I Can See Clearly Now.

(I Can See Clearly Now-female cover on acoustic guitar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tnn0AwEe3g )

She hadn’t gotten very far into the song when to her surprise another voice joined hers as she sang. It was Fluttershy. She turned and saw her friend fly up beside her. Then AJ and Twilight, with Spike riding on her back, came up beside her, also joining in the song. Next it was Rarity and Pinkie joining in. Rainbow was very startled when one more voice joined in—Celestia herself walked up beside the others. She'd never heard Celestia sing before, and the alicorn had an amazing voice. The voices now all joined together in perfect harmony. It was one of the most amazing musical experiences she’d ever had. Normally she’d act as backup for the spontaneous songs of her friends, but this was the first time she’d led a song.

When the song ended the others all stood together in front of Rainbow, all looking at her with big smiles.

Rainbow made a weary sigh. "I'm so sorry about last night. I was totally out of line to all of you, especially you, Princess Celestia. I hope you can all for—" That was as far as she got before she was enveloped in a big group hug, a hug that included Celestia.

"Thanks guys," Rainbow said as the hug ended and she wiped the happy tears from her eyes. "Princess, please forgive me for yelling at you like that," she said, bowing deeply to Celestia.

"Apology accepted, Rainbow Dash," Celestia said with a smile and hugged Rainbow again.

Rainbow turned to her assembled friends and sighed. "I'm also sorry about derailing things last night. You guys just had a long traumatic thing happen and you were just starting to unwind from that and then I go and turn it around and make it all about me. That was really selfish of me. I'm sorry."

Another group hug ensued.

Twilight looked up at her with a big smile. "It's okay, Rainbow. Yesterday was difficult for all of us. Princess Nightmare visited our dreams last night to help us cope with what happened."

Celestia nodded. "While she is quite adept at causing fear and trauma in the dream world, she is also good at defusing it, but I have asked a mental health professional to come to Ponyville to speak with all of you. I have also dispatched a mental health team to Equality to help those who were affected far deeper."

"What happened at the Tree, darling?" Rarity asked, walking up to Rainbow and putting a hoof on her hand.

"Yeah, did you see something? We were told something happened last night," Pinkie asked excitedly as she hopped around Rainbow.

Rainbow paused and thought about how much she should say; it was a deeply personal event, one she wasn't ready to talk about, but there was one thing that definitely they should know about.

"Well, it was some really personal stuff, but I got to see why I am what I am and it all makes sense now. There was something I need to tell you. The last that I was told before it was over was 'be kind to Starlight. She needs your loyalty.'"

The others looked to each other in surprise.

"Do we know anythin' about her? Is she gonna be like Discord, maybe another lost soul in need of findin'?" AJ asked as she looked to Celestia.

"Last night I searched the records of the School of Magic in Canterlot and could find no mention of her. I tried a few other sources but nopony has ever heard of her, yet she's somehow avoided all the normal magical training methods and appears to be completely self-taught," Celestia replied.

Fluttershy began pacing a bit, looking at the ground. "Oh, I wish Discord would come back. I hope he didn't do anything to her. Then I could stop worrying about her and him."

Twilight suddenly began gagging and a moment later she let out a loud burp that produced a swirl of green smoke that materialized into a scroll. "Ugh, bleh, yuck!" Twilight exclaimed, spitting, and wiping her tongue with her hooves to try to get rid of the taste.

Spike just laughed as he picked up the scroll and opened it. "It's from Discord!" Spike said and just as he was about to start reading it, Discord's own voice began to narrate the letter.

"Hello, my hopefully-still-friends. I saw last night how much I have changed. Fluttershy, your final words to me haunted me all night. Rainbow, your words stuck with me as well. A part of me wanted to make Starlight suffer like nopony had ever suffered before. I had at first thought of banishing her to a world where her alternate self had taken over Equestria and equalized it, and just leave her to the mercy of Empress Glimmer—that or I'd make her watch every episode of Gilligan's Island, including the TV movies or some other unspeakably cruel punishment, but I was reminded that I'm not who I used to be. Not long ago I was the bad guy who deserved a terrible fate, and found myself at the mercy of those I considered my enemies, and was shown mercy. So I'm leaving her to you. She'll be along in about a week. She's repeating her brainwashing message to herself over and over until she gets to Ponyville, so she's got a good incentive to get here quickly and I made her remove her own cutie mark. I leave it with you to do with as you see fit."

Twilight belched up another swirl of magic and it manifested as Starlight's jarred cutie mark.

Celestia approached the jar and levitated it to eye level, a look of horror spreading over her face as she examined it. "I-I haven't seen magic like this in centuries. She did this to each of you?" Celestia turned to the others and drew them to herself with her magic, extending her wings and engulfing the whole group in a big hug. "My friends, I am so grateful for all you do for us, for Equestria. The things you endure for us."

Once they resumed their journey toward Ponyville, Rainbow was left with a big question. "So what do we do with Starlight when she gets here?"

"She will be very weary from her journey, so let her rest. Notify me immediately and then we shall play it by ear. She likely will have an interesting tale to tell," Celestia replied as they returned to Ponyville.

***

Over the next few days things returned to normal and the mood brightened as the general excitement over the impending wedding and Summer Sun Celebration began to build, but Rainbow had other things on her mind. She had to make a decision in regard to Scootaloo.

Rainbow went for a walk, eventually making her way to a small hill that overlooked Ponyville. She sat under a tree and enjoyed the lovely panoramic view of the town. "Okay, brain, we're staying under this tree until we come to a decision about Scoot."

She closed her eyes and leaned back against the tree, recalling what her mother had said: ‘Just trust your feelings. You understand what she's gone through and what she needs.’ Rainbow visualized herself back in the orphanage, something that was more difficult than she expected, having constructed a substantial wall around that part of her life; she really didn't want to return to it. She pictured little Rainbow there, standing beside Scootaloo, and took a deep breath as she mentally returned to the worst of all times to be there—the days when prospective couples came to meet the kids.

Little Rainbow stood beside Scootaloo as pegasi couples looked over the pegasi fillies and colts, seeing their attitude change when they were told she couldn't fly. There'd be an awkward silence and they'd avoid eye contact and they'd move on to the kids that could fly, leaving Scootaloo feeling like she was defective and wishing she'd never been born, just like Rainbow herself felt every time she was passed over. Little Rainbow suddenly grew to adult Rainbow and picked up Scootaloo, hugged her and carried her out of there.

Rainbow stood and stretched. "Well, that was fast."

Once back home, Rainbow sat at her kitchen table as she wrote a letter.

"Dear Lady Golden Meadow,

Get the paperwork started and tell me what I need to do...

Once the letter was done and put in the mailbox, Rainbow again took a look over her place. Aside from being a huge mess, it needed space for a filly to grow. The problem was she had no idea even where to begin. She needed help.


"Have you ever cleaned this place, Rainbow?" Rarity asked, as she stepped carefully around the clutter of the living room. "And why is there broken glass in the wall?"

"Kinda. And the glass is from when I threw a beer bottle at Discord's head."

"Hmmm, understandable," Rarity mused as she continued her examination of the house.

"So Rarity, did you ever talk to Sweetie Belle about the stuff we talked about?"

Rarity stopped and turned to Rainbow with a smile. "Yes, Sweetie and I had a talk shortly after you left. Instead of feeling angry or betrayed, the little dear was utterly delighted to learn I was her mother—she could not have been happier. I let her decide if she wanted everypony to know about that, but she chose to let all think we were sisters, as she understood how awkward it would be for her grandparents and I, and she knew it could cause a scandal for me and my business. So she was willing to continue the ruse just to protect us. I truly am blessed with such a loving daughter! Thank you, Rainbow darling, for getting me to finally face the truth."

"Hey, glad to help," Rainbow said with a satisfied smile.

Rarity used her magic to levitate the clutter in the living room to reveal the layer of clutter underneath. "I must say I am impressed that you're doing this, Rainbow. You've matured quite a bit since we first met."

"Yeah, gotta grow up some time, I guess, and it does feel good to be there for her the way my folks were there for me."

Rarity began multi-tasking with her magic in a way few unicorns could. The door opened and Rarity began levitating stuff out the door.

"Whoa, hey!" Rainbow protested.

"Rainbow, this needs to be done!" Rarity proclaimed grandly.

For a moment Rainbow was afraid Rarity would break into song. "Rarity, just don't touch the guitars!"

Rarity went room to room, in a cleaning frenzy; it was a challenge for Rainbow not to meddle. She had to trust Rarity—she was a design professional, after all. In time other ponies showed up, apparently curious as to why stuff was piling up in front of her house. All knew to stay out of Rarity's way while she worked. Eventually Rainbow let anypony take what they wanted from the growing pile, as she knew if she didn't she'd just bring it all back inside when Rarity was done.

A few hours later, Rainbow faced her most challenging task.

"You've always been there for me. A true, true friend. It just doesn't seem right. Why do things like this have to happen? I never thought it would end like this… I'm sorry, I never thought I'd have to say goodbye,” Rainbow said, getting choked up at the thought of parting.

"Good heavens, Rainbow, it's just a liquor cabinet!" Rarity said in annoyance as she carefully levitated it onto the cart.

Rainbow stroked the cabinet affectionately, leaning against it. "'Just a liquor cabinet,' Don't listen to her. You are so much more than that.”

“And I thought Apple Jewel was dramatic over that apple tree we took to Appleloosa…”

"Relax, Rainbow," Berry Punch said. "I'll give it a good home."

"Yes, I'm sure you will, Berry,” Rainbow said. “Just be careful with that Naga Chili vodka."

After the extensive cleaning, Rarity was still "in the zone" and dragged Rainbow to Quills & Sofas to pick out a bedroom set for Scootaloo's room. At some point they had picked up Sweetie Belle, who offered suggestions.

They went to a variety of stores, gathering what they'd need. At a toy shop Rainbow stood in front of the ubiquitous Princess Collection. When she was a foal it was just Celestia toys; now the line had expanded to include the others, even Twilight. Sweetie Belle picked out one of each Princess for Scootaloo.

Rainbow, for her part, was enjoying the princess toys way too much. Since this was Twilight’s home town, they had what appeared to be every Twilight toy, knickknack and collectible that existed. Rainbow couldn’t help giggling as she looked over the Twilight merchandise, from tasteful to tacky, and couldn't resist buying some of it. But she got a sinister grin when she got to the Nightmare Moon plushes.

After they were done there, Rainbow treated Rarity and Sweetie Belle to dinner and they sat at the outdoor cafe waiting for their food. At the back of her mind there was something she didn't want to consider, but felt she should voice her concern.

"Maybe we're jumping the gun. What if they say no?" Rainbow asked.

Rarity looked to Rainbow with a smile, but then frowned. "Rainbow, darling, I cannot have a serious conversation with you while you are wearing that abomination on your head."

Rainbow smiled as she removed a purple baseball cap that had floppy wings on the sides and a short, stubby horn on the front, the rest dotted with Twilight's cutie mark. "But Rarity, this is official 'Princess Twilight Sparkle (TM)' merchandise endorsed by the princess herself!"

Rarity rolled her eyes. "Yes, and be that as it may, while it is kind of the princesses to give the proceeds from their merchandise to charity, I do wish Twilight had consulted me before she endorsed them. That is an affront to all that is tasteful."

Rainbow laughed and put the hat in the bag. "But the T-shirt’s okay?"

Rarity sighed and nodded. "It is... endurable. Now, in regard to your question, I do not think you have anything to worry about, darling. The mare in charge of the orphanage herself is the one who suggested the idea. She would be in the best position to know of any problems that might get in the way and clear up said problems."

Rainbow thought on that for a few moments, then nodded. "True."

Rarity looked at her with a kindly smile. "I must say I am quite surprised at you having uncertainty like this, Rainbow."

"Well, it sort of takes me back to my days there. The most terrifying time in my entire life was after the matron told me that the Dashes wanted to adopt me—the weeks of waiting, worrying, wondering. What if somepony in the system said no? What if the Dashes suddenly died? What if they came to their senses and adopted a pony instead? What if they adopted me and changed their minds and sent me back? I hardly slept for weeks! And anytime the matron walked in my direction I was afraid it was to give me bad news. It was terrible. I know it seems cruel, but I asked the matron not to tell Scootaloo so she doesn't have to endure that too. Let it just be a nice surprise."

"Oh, I know!" Sweetie Belle exclaimed happily. "Get Princess Celestia to make it go faster! I'm sure she'd be glad to help!"

Rarity smiled at her daughter. "An excellent idea, Sweetie darling. I'm sure each of Equestria's princesses would be well inclined to put in a good word for you, Rainbow."

Rainbow nodded. That was very true. She had friends in high places. She hated to impose on that power, but this was important.


When Rainbow returned home she put her bags by the couch and sat and looked around. Rarity had done an amazing job. The place hadn't been this clean since it was first built. She had to think of some way to repay Rarity at some point for that.

Easing back on her couch, Rainbow just relaxed. The place felt empty. She smiled when she thought about the new family member that would fill it in the near future. It would take some adjustments, but they would be well worth it. Then her eyes went wide when she realized how early foals had to get up for school.

"Oof—okay, one big change. Guess I'm a morning pony now," she grumbled, thinking how she'd need to start adjusting her schedule to get up before Scootaloo to make breakfast and make sure she was ready for school.

"Wait, do I even know how to cook?" she suddenly asked herself.

She got up and went to her kitchen and looked in the cabinets and icebox. She didn't actually have "ingredients" with which to cook. She either ate out of a can, bag or got stuff to go. "Okay, that's another big change."

Ma Apple and Granny Smith both loved to cook and she knew they’d be glad to help teach her, though it would be more like Ma Apple giving a girlish squeal of delight at the thought of teaching her how to cook. Those were problems for future Rainbow—time for fun. She took the large Nightmare Moon plush out of her bag and put it on the end of the couch then put her feet up on it and laid back as she grabbed a Daring Do book from the now orderly arrangement of books on her coffee table and began reading.

Later that evening, Rainbow was washing dishes after her meal, also realizing this chore would no longer be a weekly event as it had been in the past and needed to get used to the idea of having to keep the place clean. Well, she could always hire a cleaning service to do it for her. As she finished up, she squeezed the water out of the small Nightmare Moon plush she’d used for a dish rag and rested it across the faucet to dry.

There was a knock on her door and she went to open it. Fullbright hugged Rainbow in greeting, leaving her looking surprised. "Dad! Come on in. What brings you here? I wasn't expecting you for another week. Where's Gilda?"

Fullbright gave her a big smile as he followed her inside. "Hi, Sweetheart. Gilda's in Griffinstone, breaking the news of the wedding to her family, and the fact she's pregnant. I offered to go with her, but she said it was better for my health if I wasn't anywhere near her family when she told them—she said something about them making wind chimes from my bones. I hope at least some of them will be willing to attend. That's sort of why I'm here. I thought I'd gotten used to being alone over the years since your mom passed and you moved out and I was cool with that, but since Gilda's come barreling into my life, I realized I don't like to be alone,” he said with an embarrassed laugh.

"Well, Dad, you're in luck. Thanks to my pal Rarity, I have a guest room again. You're welcome to stay with me until the wedding."

He hugged his daughter again. "Thanks, sweetheart. You're the best."

"Hungry, Dad? I can order something for you."

"No, I'm good," he said, looking around. "Well, this place is indeed suspiciously clean. What's the occasion?"

"I gave it a lot of thought and I decided to take the plunge and adopt Scootaloo."

He smiled widely, taking a seat on the sofa. "Honey, that's great news! That's a big responsibility, but I'm sure you'll do great. As I said before, you'll make an awesome mom."

Rainbow sat and leaned back on the Nightmare plush. "Dad, you do realize you'll be Scoot's grandfather?"

Fullbright made a painful wince. "Yeah, I forgot about that part."

They sat, both lost in their thoughts of the moment when Rainbow decided there was something that had to be said. "Hey, Dad, there's something I need to tell you. I learned something weird recently."

He looked to her curiously. "Sure, what's on your mind, honey?"

"I was shown some strange stuff when I was at the Tree of Harmony."

"What kind of stuff?" he asked, leaning toward her.

"Dad, do you remember a long time ago, visiting a zebra alchemist for a potion to overcome a fear of heights?"

Fullbright's mouth dropped open. "How could you even know about that, Rainbow?"

She smiled. "I was shown by—the Tree," she said. She figured that a week before his wedding he really didn't need to be told that his late wife's spirit had paid her a visit.

Fullbright laughed awkwardly. "Yeah, I know that's strange, but I just didn't like heights back then."

"What? Oh, wait, that's not the weird thing. I was shown that in payment, the dude asked for a feather and a lock of mane. Here's the weird part. Did you ever wonder what he did with that stuff?"

"Well no, not until this very moment. Why do you ask?" he asked suspiciously.

"Years later, that guy used it to make some potions. Potions for a human guy named Harry Tucker."

He looked at her confused. "I don't really follow."

"My human folks wanted to have a baby pony so the alchemist made potions that turned them into ponies. My human dad used a potion that gave him your body and mom had one, made from a mare named Firefly."

"Wow, I really didn't think ahead when I left him that stuff," Fullbright said with a laugh.

Rainbow looked at her father strangely. He didn't seem to grasp what it all meant. She shared more details than she'd been given, but he still didn't seem to understand.

"Dad, don't you get it? You're my biological father. This changes everything!"

He gave her a kindly smile. "It changes nothing, Rainbow."

Rainbow stared silently at him, in surprise. "What? How can it not change everything? I'm your real daughter!"

He leaned forward and hugged her tightly. "Rainbow, sweetheart, the moment your mother and I adopted you, you became our real daughter. I understand why it means so much to you to learn this, but it truly doesn't change anything. I have loved you with all my heart from day one. For it to change something means I was holding something back," he said and looked her in the eye. "Rainbow, you have always been my precious little angel, and nothing will ever change that."

Rainbow hugged him, unable to stop the tears from flowing.

"Best dad ever," she whispered.

"I will, however, have a few words for Harry the next time I see him," Fullbright said with a laugh. "And remember, Rainbow, Harry may have been using a borrowed body, but he's still your father. He and your mother still created you, despite the method they chose. Don't take that away from them."

Rainbow nodded. "Yeah, you're right, Dad. Strange, I thought you'd be furious at him for that."

Fullbright laughed again. "Rainbow, you were the result of that union. How could I ever be mad about that?" he said with a smile, pausing a moment before he continued. "Being a parent is an awesome responsibility, and it may challenge you at times. Some are up to the challenge and some aren’t."

"What if I'm not, Dad? What if I fail? What if I can't handle it, like they couldn't?"

"Now what were the first things your mother and I taught you, Rainbow?"

She smiled and leaned against her father and repeated them. "I am Rainbow Dash and I am awesome. I am Rainbow Dash and I can do the impossible. I am Rainbow Dash and I can change the world."

He hugged her again and looked at her with fatherly pride. "And look at you now, all grown up. You've become awesome. You've done the impossible and you've not only changed the world, you saved it. Best daughter ever.”

They talked late into the night and when Rainbow showed him to the guestroom she realized she needed to make the most of the next few days. For both of them, life was about to have some very big changes—him having a new wife and a child on the way and she adopting Scootaloo. Their times together as just father and daughter would be few and far between with all their other impending responsibilities.

***

"Rainbow, you're going to be late for school!" she heard her dad shout, tapping urgently on her bedroom door with his hoof.

"I'm up!" Rainbow shouted in alarm, instantly awake as she leaped out of bed and looked around in panic, suddenly confused why nothing was where it should be. Then her brain caught up with her body. "Oh, hardy har, Dad.” She rolled her eyes as she heard his laughter from the other side of the door.

"Breakfast is on the table. I made your favorite."

Her father had gone all out, making a plentiful meal of blueberry pancakes, scrambled eggs and hay-bacon. He loaded up a plate for her and then sat and served himself.

"You've already made breakfast? But, it's got to be…" she said and trailed off, looking for her clock. "Nine in the morning."

"Honey, I got up at six and went grocery shopping."

"You're a wild man, Fullbright Dash," Rainbow said with a laugh. "Geez, who's even up at six?"

"Rainbow, you live in a community founded by farmers. They're up at dawn."

"Madness."

"So honey, what's on your agenda for today?"

"Well, the doc gave me a clean bill of health the other day. Apparently my already accelerated recovery was even farther along than it seemed, so he grudgingly gave me the go-ahead to resume my normal level of activity. Time for me to get back into proper shape."

"That's great, Rainbow. I need to get back into shape too. I'd started working out again when I got serious about the new airshow, but now that I'll have a newborn to chase around I will definitely need to bring my "A" game."

"Have you guys decided on a name yet?"

"Not yet. So far the one condition Gilda's mentioned is that Griffinstone has a curious naming custom that everypony has to have a name that starts with G."

"That is bizarre. Hey, after breakfast, I was gonna go for a run. Wanna come along?"

"Just try to keep up," he said with a confident smile.


"Come on, grandpa, lift those hooves!" Rainbow said with a laugh, stopping to take a drink from her water bottle as she waited for her dad to catch up.

When he finally reached her, he was breathing heavy, "How can you be—so fast with only—two legs?" he wheezed. Fullbright sat and took a drink from his water bottle as well. "Well, my flying is top notch, but maybe—I haven't been putting in as much—exercise for the rest of the body as I—should have."

After a short rest they resumed their run, going along the road that ran north out of town. Rainbow was looking down the road and noticed a lavender pony moving unsteadily in their direction. Shortly it toppled over and began struggling to get back up.

"Dad, pony in distress up ahead!" Rainbow shouted and leaned down like she was at the starting line of a race and bolted forward at a full speed run while her father flew on ahead. Her father helped the pony get up, but then she saw it push him away and continue shakily on its way.

As Rainbow approached she realized who the pony was: unicorn, the right coloration and most damning the equal sign cutie mark.

"Starlight Glimmer?" Rainbow asked as she stopped in front of the pony.

The pony looked up at her, surprised for a moment, but nodded and walked past her. Rainbow could hear the pony mumbling something incessantly as they walked; she guessed that was her brain-washing speech. Fullbright got a little ahead of Starlight and held out his water bottle to her and she just glanced at it and kept walking.

Rainbow and her father fell back in place behind Starlight.

"So what's all this about?" Fullbright asked.

"That's Starlight Glimmer. She ran a town and took away everypony's cutie marks and convinced everypony that they'd be happier without cutie marks making them all different. She felt everypony would be equal and happy without them."

"That sounds crazy."

"I know! If she'd spent even five minutes over on the human side, she'd know that not having cutie marks is not the source of peace and happiness. I mean, I admit, if they had cutie marks over there they'd just use it as an excuse to start a war over them. But anyway, Harmony sent Twilight and the others along to the town to set things right, but then she stole their cutie marks and held them prisoner and tried to brainwash them. What she didn't count on was Discord being there in disguise in my place as Element of Loyalty."

"Ooh," Fullbright said. "That couldn't have been pleasant when she found out."

"No. I've seen firsthoof what Discord can do when my friends and I tried to stop him after his escape, and he was just messing around then," Rainbow said, then turned to Starlight. "I know it seems really mean what he's doing to you now Starlight, but believe me, he's going very easy on you compared to what he could do. I mean, seriously, have you ever seen Harlem Globetrotters on Gilligan's Island? Now that’s torture."

Starlight continued on silently for a while, with Fullbright and Rainbow following close behind. Periodically Starlight would stop and sit to catch her breath, so weary that just walking was exhausting to her now.

"Starlight, want me to carry you?" Rainbow asked.

"No! I don't need your help, or anypony's help," she said tersely and struggled up onto her hooves and resumed walking.

"Look, I don't know what you're expecting in Ponyville, but it won't be as bad as you expect."

Starlight stopped and turned to Rainbow. "They destroyed everything! That community was everything to me. It was all I had! It's what gave my life meaning and it's all been destroyed.” She lowered her head, weariness entering her voice. “What does it matter what they do to me? They'll erase my life's work and probably me as well.”

"Whoa, whoa, whoa! Nopony's getting erased. I'm the Element of Loyalty—if they try to erase you, they're only doing it over my dead body," Rainbow exclaimed with a sincerity that surprised her.

"What do you care what happens to your enemies?"

"Starlight, we're not your enemies!"

"They’re against everything I believe."

"But maybe everything you believe is just stupid and wrong, that's all," Rainbow said encouragingly.

Rainbow heard her dad face-hoof. "What my daughter is trying to say is that perhaps your ideology is flawed."

Starlight turned to retort, but suddenly realized what Fullbright said as she looked between pegasus and human. "Your daughter?"

"Long story," Rainbow said with a smile.

Starlight looked between them a bit more, then turned and resumed her journey.

"I can run ahead and get a pony with a cart to carry you the rest of the way, Starlight," Rainbow offered, walking backwards in front of Starlight so she could talk face to face.

"No! I don't need anypony's help," she insisted as she trudged on, still muttering her brainwashing message to herself. Eventually, Starlight stumbled and she lay on the ground a while.

"Need our—" Fullbright began but was cut off with another terse refusal from Starlight.

Rainbow offered her water bottle to Starlight but it was ignored. The two watched her struggle to stand. After a few attempts she just lay there, exhausted.

"Oh for crying out loud," Rainbow said and picked up Starlight.

"Hey, put me down!" she protested.

"Do you want to get to Ponyville or not?" Rainbow asked, glaring at her.

"Yes," she finally said.

"Finally! Sheesh!"

Fullbright passed his water bottle to Starlight and she chugged it down.

Rainbow adjusted Starlight's position a few times to make her as easy to carry as she could manage and began walking toward town. Now that Starlight no longer had to try to maintain a strong front she just lay limply in Rainbow's arms, still muttering the brain-washing mantra.

Rainbow looked around. "Come on, Discord! We're almost in Ponyville. Cut her some slack." When there was no relief for Starlight, Rainbow got an idea as a particularly appropriate song came to mind. She began singing Bill Wither’s classing song Lean On Me.

(Lean On Me-Female cover https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SmcQm_pGp8 )

As she sang she was surprised when spontaneous music began accompanying her singing and her father joined in. To her greater surprise, Starlight’s brainwashed mumbling began to change and she began to weakly sing along.

When the song ended, there was silence. When Starlight realized that, she began crying in relief.

Now that the situation was under control, Rainbow had time to think about things. This was the pony who had kidnapped her friends, stole their cutie marks and tried to brainwash them. She briefly felt anger, but it was hard to maintain that anger as she looked at the exhausted, defeated enemy in her arms. Discord had really done a number on her and he had gone easy on her.

She remembered what her mother had said. "Be kind to Starlight Glimmer. She needs your loyalty." Could she help turn an enemy away from the path of darkness? Discord and Nightmare Moon had shown that it was still possible to come back to the light, even for those who had traveled a long, long way down that path.

"We'll get you to the hospital, Starlight. They'll get you patched up. Then when you're recovered we'll get the others together and talk about what happened. But for now, just rest."

Starlight stirred. "No. I need to see Twilight. That first."

"But you're exhausted," Rainbow said.

"What does it matter? I want this all over with. There's nothing left," Starlight said wearily.

Rainbow gave Starlight a kindly smile. "When you get to Twilight, you won't be thrown in the dungeon or anything. It's not the end, Starlight. Maybe it will be a new beginning for you.”

"Don't expect the Spanish Inquisition," Fullbright added, causing Rainbow to snort in laughter.

After Starlight pondered that she looked up at Rainbow with a sneer. "They'll go easy on me if I tell them I give up everything I believe in in order to save my skin?"

"Hey, it won't be anything like that,” Rainbow countered. “You're not the first magic wielding psychopath who wanted to take over the world that we've locked horns with."

Starlight just glared at her.

"Okay, maybe that was the wrong choice of words. What's going to happen is you're going to have to explain yourself, a lot. Like, everything that led you to this. And not to add pressure or anything, but Celestia—sorry, Princess Celestia is probably going to be there. And if she's there, Princess Nightmare will likely be watching from the shadows."

Starlight seemed to somehow go even limper in her arms.

"Just relax, Starlight, it's going to be pretty low key. Above all else, be honest. With who's going to be there, they'll know if you're lying about anything."

Starlight lay silently in Rainbows arms as they continued on their journey. Eventually the pony looked up at her. "You said you are the Element of Loyalty? I've read about those. I thought they were a myth. But Harmony and the Elements are all real?"

"You bet. At Twilight's castle there's a magic map of Equestria that shows trouble spots and the first place it sent them was your town. So a higher power was watching you. Maybe it was watching out for you."

"Nopony cares what happens to me," she said sullenly.

"Hey, Dad and I just met you a few minutes a go, but we already care what happens to you."

"Friendship is nothing but lies and treachery."

"Dude, it's not like that at all! I mean, sometimes friends have a falling out, but that's natural. My friend Gilda—she's a griffin—was the first friend I had as a filly and we kinda drifted apart and when I met her again years later she was a total jerk and was really mean to my Ponyville friends, but now she's marrying my dad!"

Starlight looked up at her, clearly confused, then turned to Fullbright.

Fullbright smiled. "That's also a long story."

Starlight looked back to Rainbow. "You're like a walking, talking non sequitur."

"Ha! I know what that means," Rainbow laughed. "It shows how much time I spend around Twilight. Sort of learning by osmosis... wait. How did I know that? Twilight Sparkle, get out of my brain!" Rainbow exclaimed suddenly, then laughed again. "If you think I'm confusing, Starlight, just wait until you get to know Pinkie Pie."

"You just wouldn't understand what brought me to this," Starlight said sadly.

"Hey, if you want to swap sob stories, when I was less than a year old my human parents left me behind in a world of magical ponies while they returned to Otherside, and while I was rotting away in an orphanage I was twice passed over by human couples who wanted to adopt ponies instead of me so you can only imagine what that did to my feelings of self-worth. Life stinks sometimes, but hey, we can't let it define us."

Fullbright trotted up to Rainbow and looked up at her with sympathy. "You never told me about that, Rainbow."

"Yeah, that one cut a bit too deep to share before. Sorry, Dad," she said and turned her attention back to Starlight. "Anyway, I'd bet my tragic backstory could beat up yours. But as you can see, my sad story had a happy ending and yours can too, Starlight."

There was silence from all three now as they approached the town and they instantly drew a crowd. They could hear Starlight's name being muttered by all.

Rainbow sat on a bench and put Starlight down. "Okay, I need some volunteers," Rainbow said, looking at the crowd. A bunch raised their hooves.

"Derpy, I need you to go get AJ. Cloudkicker, go get Fluttershy. Bon Bon, go tell Twilight that Starlight's in town. Lyra, go get Pinkie Pie. Dr. Whooves, go get Rarity. We'll all be at the castle. Team Ponyville, go!"

The ponies all took off in different directions. Rainbow moved to pick up Starlight again but she held up a hoof to stop her.

"I appreciate you carrying me to town, but please, allow me the dignity of walking the last part on my own,” Starlight said.

"Sure thing, Starlight," she said as Fullbright appeared with another water bottle and offered it to her.

Starlight drank it eagerly. "Thank you," she said softly as she then climbed off the bench and stood unsteadily at first while she prepared herself for what was to come.