• Published 1st Jul 2012
  • 1,174 Views, 10 Comments

A Mishap Between Friends - Kalreas



Along the way, the Elements of Harmony will fight a battle they cannot win over time.

  • ...
 10
 1,174

Small Town: Big Surprises.

--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--


They had been looking into each others eyes for long enough to seemingly disturb their new friend. "Uhm.. Should I be going? Do you two need more time alone?" He asked while smiling awkwardly.

"Oh!" Twilight jumped to her feet. "I-I'm sorry. Sorin, do you know him?" She wanted to know more.

"So," He started. "He actually is there. I'm surprised you managed to find me out here. Especially.." He started to look away, slightly blushing. "Especially in this condition. Weak, helpless and beaten."

He had giggled at that. "Well," He started. "I suppose you are beaten, but I wouldn't say weak, or helpless at all. You have.. A very close friend, as well as friends that are with your.. mare-friend." He admitted, smiling and on the verge of giggling again. Sorin was quick to add his thoughts.

"I don't know about you, but I've never felt this way about any other pony I've met before."

"You only say that because you actually got her to do-"

"Would you leave that alone? I'm trying to be serious here." He shot a slightly annoyed look at his friend, and that made him stop giggling. Twilight had noticed that whatever kind of friends they were, they knew each other really well, and more than likely had a lot of things in common. Except for the fact that she now noticed the well-hidden wings on the dark pony.

"You're a Pegasus?" She asked curiously. The dark pegasus looked at his wings, and noticed that they were now slightly visible, and let out a slightly disappointed sigh. "Yes," He started. "I'm a pegasus." It seemed to slightly startle the rest.

Twilight's thoughts were in a haze, trying to figure out what else this slightly shy and secretive pony would do. Rainbow Dash was quick to speak next.

"Hey, if you're a Pegasus, then that would mean you can fly right? Come on, I really need someone to fly with, even race." He was startled by the change of tone with the last word from the cyan Pegasus that was now standing right beside him. His face flustered a little, as he tried to look for words.

The pegasus was shocked by the sudden challenge. The mare had come upon him with such a Request giving him little time to even get a good look at his challenger. He backed away slowly. "I. Um... A race. I'm not so sure..." His wings tense up prepped for if anything happened.

"Come on, why not?" the cyan pegasus chimed. Rainbow Dash had grown tired of being cramped in the cart. With all the things going on with her friends, she needed something to get her mind off of things.

"You sure you got the ri-" the dark pegasus was cut off by the earth pony who had stood quietly up until this point. With a huge grin the earth pony stated tauntingly, "A little mare like you dare challenge my friend to a race?" A silly tone in his voice.

The dark pegasus was startled but not really shocked at his friends prank. Before his friend could say anything else he quietly snapped back, "What do you think your doing? We don't want to bring too much attention to ourselves!"

"A LITTLE MARE?!" Rainbow started, agitated by their boasting. "I'll have you know I'm the fastest flyer in Equestria!" Rainbow knew it wasn't right to boast but she refused to be stood up by another pony.

"No I didn't... He was just... I don-" He was at a loss for words.

"Oh really? My friend here hits speeds you probably have never even gotten close to!" Sorin interrupted.

At that moment, the dark pegasus pounced his friend, tackling him to the ground. The earth ponies eyes shimmered with excitement as the grin on his face grew larger and larger. Eventually he couldn't contain it and burst out laughing, pleased with the prank he pulled that the pegasus could no longer back down from.

"I swear, I will get you back for this if it's the last thing I do." the pegasus promised as he got off the earth pony rolling around laughing at his accomplishment.

"Challenge accepted, Rainbow Dash. Just give me a few moments to prepare."

Rainbows frustration left her, as she now had someone to race with, coupled with the fact she was determined to knock down the earth ponies boasting of his friends speed.

"Oh, we don't have to race right now, do we?" Twilight asked in frustration.

"Well, I'm sure we don't have to at this moment, right Dash?" Sorin admitted, asking for Dash's approval. She simply nodded, happy that she was finally going to have someone that was supposed to be really fast to race against. Sorin walked over to Twilight, to see if everything was still ok.

"Hey," He said quietly to his mare. "Anything wrong?" He added with a slightly apologetic tone. She was late to reply, still thinking about what was going on. "Well," She started. "I'm just startled by your friend being accepted into this group so easily. I mean-"

"He has a habit of getting to be friends with people easily." He interrupted. He then noticed that she had given him a fairly evil stare, and he looked into her eyes, full of confusion and wonder. "I mean.." She started again, trying to resume what she was about to say. "We were supposed to be just the six of us.." She admitted, sounding sad. "There were only supposed to be a few ponies that we talked to, but I.. I just.." She couldn't continue as tears started to fall out of her eyes, looking at the floor, away from the sight of anyone. Except her stallion, who then began to embrace her with a sad look in his eyes.

"I know. But wasn't it... Fun? I mean, you seemed to enjoy it." He admitted quietly, slightly joking around with his tone of voice. She realized the tone, making her laugh a bit. "See? You can still enjoy moments like this." He said, his eyes now full of care, hope and curiosity. He leaned his head closer, one of his hooves still wrapped around the mare he cared for. He kissed her on the cheek. That sparked wonder and hope into her, as she turned her head, and gave an all-out kiss to her stallion. He was slightly surprised by it, but loved the fact that his mare had finally gotten cheerful again.

He closed his eyes, and returned the kiss. A few more later, and they had opened their eyes, realizing that everypony else had seen them like that for a few moments, just staring at them. They both blushed, their faces turning as red as they could get. The cart stopped, and they now realized that they had arrived at the new town.

Pinkie was the first one to jump out of the cart, and she bounced around the entire cart before the others came out. A big smile on the party pony's face indicated she couldn't wait to have an arrival party with everypony else in the town.

The others had a slightly different idea of things, and Twilight was the next one out of the cart. They were now at the edge of town as they realized it was very similar to Ponyville in a lot of ways. Nearly the entire group was out of the nearly cramped cart, finally seeing the town they had so much trouble getting to.

The dark pegasus looked towards Dash as he was the last to step out of the cart. His face started to redden just barely, but he turned away in time to look at his friend staring at him. "So, something you wanna admit?" He teased. He was good at reading expressions, and sometimes he took it a little too far.

"No, nothing for you to be sticking your nose in either, I know your curiosity can get the better of you sometimes." He quietly told the dark orange earth pony in-front of him. He was quick to respond. "Well, at least I openly admitted that I loved th-"

"Shut up." The dark pegasus interrupted. It caught Sorin by surprise as he saw the evil 'if you say one more thing..' look on his friends dark face, half of it shadowed by his mane. He knew his friend was being way too serious about this, as he simply turned, looked at Twilight and the group, and walked slowly away from the dark pegasus. Looking back, his friends head was slightly hanging, as he started to walk towards the cart to look for something.

Just before he turned his head away, he noticed Dash walking into the cart behind him. He didn't want to intrude whatever they did in there, so he simply let it go. He went with the group walking through the town, trying to keep Pinkie under as much control as possible. They had decided to see who the mayor of the town was, so they could get a better idea of what this town did. How everything worked in this town, and to see how the people living in it acted.

Dash and the dark pegasus beside her had finally found them in the middle of town. Sorin looked at his friend and started a mix of taunting and teasing yet again, smiling the entire time. "So, looks like you two have had fun since we've been gone. What did you do out of our sight?"

Dash replied faster than the dark pegasus, because he was simply staring into his friends soul with a slightly annoyed look. "Well, if you really wanna know, I helped him get his gear on. It looked awkward, but I just guessed that it helped him fly. I wanted to give him as much of an advantage as I could. You know, because I wanted as much speed from him as possible." She finished.

"Anyways," The dark pegasus started, while walking towards his friend with an evil grin. "I suppose you can do something for me." He taunted. Without a moment to think, he picked up something from behind him, and quickly put it on the earth pony's back, making him stumble because of the weight.

"What in the hay? Get these off of me!" the struggling pony fumbled trying to adjust to the weight.

"But i thought you wanted to see a race?" the dark pegasus teased.

Realizing his own prank was now turned on him, he accepted the defeat grumbling under his breath.

Amused, the pegasus turned to the contraption connected to his wings, half seen-half hidden under the feathers. After a few clicks, the pegasus' wings shot open with such force and speed that it even shocked the pegasus himself.

Rainbow, though curious about the contraptions attached to the darker pagasus' wings, did not let it deter her from her determination to win the race. She needed to feel the wind sliding through her feathers when she soars across the sky.

"You ready?" the dark pegasus prompted. Rainbow spread her wings with a look of determination upon her face, silently acknowledging the dark pegasus' question. She was ready for this ever since leaving Ponyville.

The earth pony, excited over the tension sprung forward shouting, "READY! SET! GO!"

The dark pegasus' wings shot down with such force it propelled him way up in the air in no time at all.

Rainbow, slightly surprised by the speed of the take off of her opponent, sat shocked for a half-second before realizing she was behind. Without a second's delay she sprung into the air with a speedy take off of her own, catching up to the dark pegasus.

The dark pegasus oriented himself and then shot forward with the combined speed of his wings and the contraptions connected to them. Though the contraption's assistance produced superior difference to his flying speed, it did not come without faults. The sudden force of the contraption kicking in caused a lot of pain, which constricted him to only flapping his wings when adjusting course and keeping his speed up.

The two shot across the sky, gathering the attention of all the townsfolk. The earth pony excitedly followed them on the ground bumping into other ponies and knocking stuff over, still not used to the additional weight put on him by the bags.

The darker pegasus was ahead, while Dash was directly behind him. The darker pegasus turned his head to view his opponent behind him, but as he turned his head back around, he was too late. He flew into the cloud in front of him. He slowed down after exiting the other side to regain composure. At that moment he had enough time to see a rainbow shoot right past him.

"Pay attention." the pegasus said out loud scolding himself for his ignorance as he started up again, slowly catching up to Dash.

As he trailed behind the rainbow maned mare he finally got a good look at his competitor. He was almost immediately caught up, then looked in awe as he watched the glistening spectrum of colors flowing with the wind. The cyan coat worked perfectly with the colorful mane and tail. The male pegasus was so entranced by the beauty of the rainbow mare that he didn't even see the thick raincloud coming up.

As the rainbow shot straight up, the dark pegasus had no time to react and crashed straight into the cloud. Sliding off the cloud he started falling back to the ground.

He fell upon a pile of hay with the earth pony laughing right next to it.

"How did you miss the big... obvious raincloud....that was right in front of you?!" the earth pony spurted out between his laughing fits. "Well, at least i always got your back." motioning toward the pile of hay the pegasus was laying in.

"I.. don't know what came over me." the confused pegasus muttered, with the feeling of defeat sinking in.

"I believe it was the raincloud!" the earth pony fell over laughing again at his newest crack at his friend.

The dark pegasus had just enough time to get of the hay pile and regain his footing, as Dash had just landed beside him gleaming with her newest victory.

"I.. um... I guess you... won the race?" the dark pegasus shyly said struggling to find the right words. He was once again entranced by her.

Realizing that she may have been gloating a bit too much, Dash quickly said "Well, you didn't do so bad your yourself, I haven't met anypony that fast in a while." trying to boost the confidence of the defeating pegasus.

"well.. Thanks. Your pretty fast yourself." the dark pegasus barely managed to find the word again.

The earth pony hit a realization of what was happening and a grin started to from on the ponies face.

Seeing his friends reaction he quickly snapped out of his trance. He then quickly snatched his bags off his friends back throwing off the awkward earth pony's balance causing him to hop slightly, widening the grin on his face.

As he fastened the bags onto himself he quickly stated, "Well, we best be going, see we arent from here, we just came to grab some supplies and then we must continue our traveling again. So, I'll let you get back to you business and we will be off."

He was trying to not look like a fool anymore in front of her, so he turned and started walking off with the now balanced earth pony complaining behind him. He quickly ran back to Dash to tell the rest that he'd be back soon, he just had to follow his friend for a small amount of time.

She was confused at first, but went with it as she stood there, thinking about the expression her competitor had on his face after the race, looking at her after preforming the Sonic Rainboom to burst ahead in the race. She shook her head, and turned back to the town to tell the rest of the group what happened.

New town, new ponies, new race. Dash's day couldn't have gone better, being released from the cramped cart in such a way. "Glad to be able to fly again." She said to herself, flying back to her friends.


**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**