• Published 10th Jul 2012
  • 1,502 Views, 38 Comments

Piece of Chaos - TheGuyWithTheFace



pony gets god-like powers, hilarity insues

  • ...
4
 38
 1,502

Chapter 9

Looking Glass trotted through the marketplace with a wide grin, looking into every store and stand he passed by. Behind him was a (newly purchased) cart filled with a pile of items varying from a handful of pies, to some new furniture, to a small bucket of gems. The brown unicorn paid no attention to any of the curious ponies he passed by, all of them gawking at his purchases: some suspiciously, others with envy. Looking Glass was far too happy to care in the least about whatever scandal the more gossipy ponies (read: Rarity) might concoct. Every one of those items was bought perfectly legally, more or less.

However, where many ponies saw a mystery, the marketplace’s venders saw an opportunity. In particular Roseluck saw quite a bit of potential in Looking Glass’s shopping spree. The pale yellow mare coughed softly to clear her throat and the shouted, “FLOWERS FOR SALE! PERFECT GIFT FOR THAT SPECIAL SOMEPONY!” That last part caught Looking Glass’s attention. He turned to see Roseluck scanning the marketplace as if the call had been meant for everyone to hear. Looking Glass trotted over to get a better look at the beautiful display she had put up. Her and her sisters all grew flowers and took turns selling what they grew and despite their specific cutie marks (a rose, a lily, and a daisy) the three mares grew a great variety of different flowers. One bushel of purple and yellow flowers caught Looking Glass’s eye. Roseluck noticed this and quickly said “Ah, those are our irises, very popular gifts. “ She reached over and grabbed one from the pile, to hand to Looking Glass. “These purple ones in particular are used to symbolize wisdom and knowledge.” The massive grin the broke out on her customer’s face told Roseluck all she needed to know. “So how many would you like mister…”

“I’ll take a half dozen please.”

With a knowing smile Roseluck gathered up the other five irises and said “Alright, that will be 20 bits please,” as she reach out her empty hoof. Looking Glass turned to his small money pouch at his side and lit up his horn, drawing out exactly 20 bits. “Whoever these are for is one lucky Mare.” Roseluck innocently commented, her smile never faltering in the slightest.

“I-uh-well,” Looking Glass stammered out with a slight blush growing on his brown coat. Roseluck just giggled into her hoof at the awkward display

“Make that a very lucky mare; you’re cute when you nervous, the blush really brings out those red eyes you have.”

That extra complement did nothing to help Looking Glass’s mild panic. His mind working overtime, one word was blaring in his head like a siren, ESCAPE!! “Thanks for the flowers Rose, I, uh, I gotta go… someplace. In fact I’m late so I can’t stay to explain it, so I‘ll have to leave it at that, so…bye.” And with that ever so smooth exit, Looking Glass turned tail and ran. Once he got a block or so from the friendly florist, he slowed up enough to realize what she had said to him. Red eyes? My eyes are tan... Aren’t they?

This train of thought would have been followed if it weren’t for the whistling coming from behind him interrupting.

Looking Glass turned to see His Friend Crimson hovering above the ground, sarcastically clapping with a massive grin on his face. “Looks like we’ve got a hound dog on the loose. That was a brilliant performance back there Glassy,” Crimson joked as he floated over closer to his blushing victim. “Come on don’t give me that blush, I’m the red one here. And besides, you have nothing to be embarrassed about. You should be jumping for joy; Roseluck’s a great looking mare.”

Looking Glass’s blush fell into a scowl at Crimson’s teasing. “Hilarious Crimson, we both know I’m not interested in her.”

It was the pegasus’s turn now to get annoyed, “Seriously dude? A mare like Roseluck starts hitting on you and your response is ‘I’m not interested.’

“Wait, how did you know she was hitting on me?” Looking Glass asked, hoping it would change the subject quickly.

“I didn’t, at least not positively. I’ve just known you long enough to know when you’re flustered, so I’d say it was a pretty good bet she hit on you. And don’t try to change the subject on me; I’m not an idiot.”

“You sure about that?”

“I’m going to ignore that and get back to the pressing issue of how you’re basically committing a crime against stallion-hood.”

“Aren’t you being a little overdramatic Crimson? I’m not interested in Roseluck and that’s final.”

Crimson sighed in defeat, “Fine, I guess she’s just not your type or something. And by the way, why were you at her stand anyway,” he asked suspiciously.

“It’s a flower stand, take a wild guess.” Looking Glass deadpanned.

“Twilight?” Crimson asked with disappointment. The glare his tone produced in Looking Glass served as his answer. “Dude, you seriously need to get over her, it can’t be healthy at this point.”

“We’re NOT discussing this right now.”

“Yes we are. Why can’t you see that this is a dead end? Tell me why you think she’s amazing enough for you to keep trying after being rejected a dozen times over.”

“She’s never actually rejected me,” Looking Glass corrected.

“Which is even worse since at least a rejection would be final. This simply won’t happen. You need to give up.”

“I can’t just give up. She’s the most beautiful, intellectual, and amazing mare I’ve ever met in my life.”

“And she’s also just learning about how to have friends! Foals learn crap like that before their out of pre-school. ”

“So she used to be a bit antisocial, she’s made some massive improvements since she first came here.”

“That’s not the point; it takes the better part of 2 decades for most foals to get to the point that they can have a solid relationship! She isn’t capable of what you want right now.”

“YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT SHE’S CAPABLE OF!” Looking Glass shouted in rage. Calming down to just an angry glare he continued, “I just have to try harder to get her.”

Crimson saw at the conviction in Looking Glass’s eyes and sighed, “Fine, I clearly can’t stop you in this so I guess all I have left is to help you.”

Looking Glass’s expressing quickly shifted to confusion, “Seriously, just like that?”

Crimson smiled at his buddy, “Glassy, one of the main jobs of a bro is to talk you out of stupidity like this or, failing that, to join you in the stupidity. Besides, this could be the perfect time to test out just how amazing my love skills really are.”

Glass found himself mirroring his friends smile now. “Love skills?” He asked suspiciously.

“But of course, Glassy my friend, finding a way to get you two nerds together will be my greatest challenge, my magnus open,” the Pegasus boasted

“Magnum Opus” Looking glass corrected.

“Irrelevant, I must prepare, I will go down as the wing-stallion to end all wing-stallions. “ With that rather humble prediction, Crimson sped off to plan (or more accurately, plan to plan but get distracted by something shiny and more interesting). Looking Glass just laughed a bit to himself. No matter what happened Crimson physically could not stay on his bad side. He’s not the only one who has some preparing to do.

Huh? Looking Glass thought to himself, as he resumed his walk through town, curious as to where his mind was going to this time.

Well you said it yourself; you’ve got to step up your game.

Well I did just get her these flowers, they’re perfect for her.

Please, a half dozen irises are child’s play. She’ll just get them and say ‘Oh MY Celestia, they’re beautiful, you the best FRIEND ever.’ No, you need something bigger.

Looking Glass listened to the jingle of his still full bag of bits. Alright that should be a problem. I just need to find the right… Looking Glass’s thoughts trailed off as his eyes grabbed onto something in a window display.

Bingo

Looking Glass entered the Quills and Sofas store with a single purpose in mind. He trotted up to the proprietor (Davenport), standing behind the register, eager to fill an order of any kind, (provided it was quill and/or sofa related). Not wasting any time for pleasantries Looking Glass sternly asked, “How much for that quill?” Davenport’s eyes followed Looking Glass’s hoof to the fiery red quill on display in the window.

“That? That there is a real special quill it’s an enchanted phoenix quill,” Davenport explained as he trotted over to the beautiful implement. Taking it into his hooves he continued, saying “this beaut is near indestructible and the kicker, she don’t run outa ink. The magic on it makes it so that it can just keep writing as long as there’s stuff to write.” Looking Glass gazed at it with astonishment, when he saw it he had assumed it was simply a fancy looking quill, possibly just decorative, but he never expected it to be anything close to that amazing.

“I’ll take it” Looking Glass announced with complete confidence. Davenport however, didn’t share in the enthusiasm.

“Well hold on their buddy, this ain’t just an average quill, it ain’t even an extraordinary quill. This thing does not come cheap. Without a word Looking Glass took out his bag of bits and began to pour it out onto a nearby sofa, and pour, and pour and pour, until there was a ridiculously large pile of coin between the two stallions. Davenport just stared, dumbfounded at the sheer quantity of gold in front of him.

“I take it that this will about cover it?” Looking Glass asked, already knowing the answer. Davenport nodded his mouth still agape. “Excellent, it was a pleasure doing business with you.” Looking Glass took the quill out of Davenport’s hooves and left the very fortunate store clerk to count up his earnings.
_____________________________________________________________________________

Later on, as Luna’s beautiful moon slowly began to replace Celestia’s bright sun, Looking Glass was once again out walking in town only this time he was focused. Today he planned to pull out all the stops; his hair was neatly combed, his coat was brushed, and he had added a few sprays of cologne just for good measure. That is not to say he wasn’t nervous, the confidence he had mustered at home preparing and imagining the best possible outcomes had quickly dissipated once he began actually heading towards the library and the less perfect outcomes began to creep into his mind. Ok Looking Glass this is it, this is where you show what you’re made of. What’s the worse that could happen.... besides her getting weirded out and cutting off our entire friendship forever... you know what I think I’ve got a good feeling about tomorrow.

Oh no you don’t, another part of his mind chimed in, you’re doing this tonight. These flowers won’t last forever,and neither will the bit of confidence you’ve still got clinging on you. Motivated by his own pep talk Looking Glass pushed forward until the library was in sight. At the door Looking GLass took a massive breathe of air and moved to knock on the door when it suddenly swung open to reveal Twilight just about to step out herself. Looking Glass Froze in shock, his throat closed up and he couldn’t utter a word. Aaaand there it goes the last little pinch of confidence.

Luckily for Looking Glass, Twilight was taking the surprise much better than he was and took initiative. “Oh, hi Looking Glass, I wasn’t expecting you here, you caught me just as I was leaving.”

Spotting an easy way out, Looking Glass’s panicked, mind jumped on it. “Oh, nevermind then, its not important, I’ll just catch you another time bye.”

“Don’t be silly,” Twilight said before Looking Glass could get running, “I’m sure I’ve got enough time for whatever it is you wanted.” She looked at Looking GLass with a friendly smile that managed to melt any fear he had for a brief moment. While Looking Glass’s brain was still recovering from an overload of cuteness, Twilight took notice that he hadn’t come empty handed. Curious, she asked “Hey, what’s that in your saddlebag”

Snapped back into reality, Looking Glass quickly decided that there was no option left but to push through and hope for the best. “Uh, that actually what I see you about,’ he said awkwardly without making eye contact. he reached behind him and pulled out the bouquet of irises with a single brilliant feather sticking out of the purple. “I was shopping a bit to try and replace the stuff i kinda... destroyed... and I decided to buy you something. Roseluck said that purple irises like these symbolise wisdom so I thought they’d be perfect for you.”

For a moment, all Twilight could do was gasp into her hoof and stare at the gift. “Looking Glass, this is the single most beautiful gift I’ve ever been given. What’s this red feather?”

“Oh, that’s the best part. it’s an enchanted phoenix quill. it’s almost indestructible and it will never run out of ink.”

Twilight’s eyes widened even further. “Oh my Celestia, phoenix quills are some of the most valuable in Equestria! How could you have ever afforded one?”

“Oh uh, don’t worry about the price. I got the money from... Insurance! Yeah, I had insurance on all the stuff I broke and I just got the money from it yesterday,” Looking Glass Lied from behind a grin just slightly too wide to be natural. Twilight still too taken aback by the gift didn’t notice luckily.

“I-I can’t accept this. this is just too much.” Twilight said reluctantly.

Refusing to turn back now, Looking Glass extended the bouquet to Twilight. “Please, I bought this for you. A beautiful mare like yourself deserves things like these.” This compliment was all it to to make her cave. with her magic Twilight grabbed the flowers and quill from Looking Glass and gave them a massive sniff to take in their aroma. She then grabbed Looking Glass in a tight hug.

“I can’t believed you’d get me something like this Looking Glass.” Looking Glass Smiled blissfully at the feel of her warm fur on his. he even closed his eyes to savour the moment. “You’re the single best friend I’ve ever had.” And just like that the moment had ended and Looking Glass simply stood in shock. Still in the hug, Twilight again missed this critical piece of body language.

“Hey Twilight! Come on what’s taking so long?” Rainbow Dash shouted from behind Looking Glass. Looking up Twilight spotted The speedster in the distance and waved.

“I’ll be there in a second Rainbow!” she shouted back as she released the hug. Turning, she quickly placed the bouquet onto a table and stepped out fully.

“Thank you again Looking Glass, I hate to run but we’re having a girl’s night. Remind me to thank you properly later, dinner will be on me.” In a rush to meet up with the impatient pegasus she closed her door behind her and ran off to meet up with the rest of her group. Looking Glass just stood stock still for a minute or so, trying to piece together just what had exactly happened right there.

Ouch, tough one. But don’t worry we’ll get her soon enough. Looking Glass didn’t even bother responding to himself. He just let his head fall low and dejectedly he walked home, alone.