• Published 10th Jul 2012
  • 1,502 Views, 38 Comments

Piece of Chaos - TheGuyWithTheFace



pony gets god-like powers, hilarity insues

  • ...
4
 38
 1,502

Chapter 4

Looking Glass’s eyes snapped open in shock as he was thrown back into consciousness by a blast of cold water to his face. “Oh thank Celestia, you’re alive” Twilight siad in relief as her friend looked around, frantically trying to piece together what just happened. Finally his memory returned and he calmed down. He let out a low groan as he got up from his back and into a sitting position with his front legs supporting him. Looking Glass reinspected his surroundings, this time without the panic he had a moment ago. He was still in Twilights laboratory and the table that had once held her many concoctions was now a charred mess, Spike was standing a little ways off to the side holding a now empty bucket. Looking Glass turned his gaze to Twilight and saw that she had a very surprised and worried look on her face.

“What’s wrong Twilight?” Looking Glass asked curiously.

“Oh, umm… it’s nothing really. Just uhhhh…. Just a little soot on your face.” Twilight lied. Looking Glass was not buying it for a second.

“Twilight, you’ve never been a good liar, now tell me what’s wrong, if it’s about me, then I’m bound to find out sooner or later.” Twilight simply sighed and magically brought over a mirror for looking Glass to see. Glass looked and at first didn’t see anything too abnormal about his face. He had a few burns (some chemical, some heat), and a lot of ash and soot but other than that nothing really. Then he noticed his eyes.

His left eye looked completely normal. His right one however had shrunken to the point where it was practically a pinpoint. Looking Glass brought hoof up to the altered eye in disbelief and pulled open his eye lid for a better look. “Oh Celestia, I’m so sorry Glass. I should have never had you testing those chemicals; I should have known it would be dangerous for you. We’ve got to get you to a hospital immediately!”

“Don’t worry Twilight I’m fine… I think. My vision doesn’t seem to be affected very much and aside from a few superficial burns I’d say I’m ok.”

“I don’t care,” Twilight said bluntly, “you just had a chemical solution explode inches from your face and got covered in all the chemicals around it as well. You’re going to the hospital even if I have to drag you there.” Looking Glass could tell by the determined look on Twilight’s face that there would be no arguing with her and decided to do as she said.

“Alright Twilight, let’s go” Looking Glass said as he got up fully. He then turned away from Twilight and led the way up the stairs to the library’s main room. Looking Glass briefly paused to grab the door with his magic with the intent to open it. The door seemed to have other plans and slammed into the wall next to it with so much force it was reduced to a pile of splinters and nails while leaving a massive jagged crack on the wall. Both unicorns simply stood there in shock. Twilight could only silently mouth the word ‘how’ as Looking Glass frantically apologized. “I’m so sorry Twilight, I have no idea how I was able to do that. I just meant to open it for us.”

“Don’t worry Looking Glass, I can get the door fixed. Rainbow Dash has broken it dozens of times, though never quite to this extent.”

“Just let me clean it up and we can go” Looking Glass said as he magically gathered up the many fragment that had been thrown across the stair case. While doing so he couldn’t help but to imagine what the door had looked like only moments ago when it was fully intact. The many pieces glowed with Glass’s magical aura and collected in a pile and he intended, and then began to rearrange themselves. Each splinter began to connect like the pieces of a puzzle until all that remained was a brand new door, without so much as a scratch on it. Once more the ponies could only stare at the result in amazement. “Maybe going to the doctor’s was a good idea after all.”

Twilight and Looking Glass entered the hospital together and approached the counter, behind which nurse Redheart was working. Twilight stepped ahead to said to her, “Nurse Redheart, We need to see doctor Stable right away. We had an accident in my laboratory, and I think something’s wrong with Looking Glass.”

“Oh dear, we’ll get the doctor immediately, I just have to know ahead of time if there’s anything of danger to other ponies?” Both unicorns shook their heads. “Alright go wait in room 27 b, just down the hall, Dr. Stable will see you as soon as possible.

“Thank you nurse. Come on Twilight.” Looking Glass spoke as he took the lead towards the hospital room. The two entered the white room and sat in silence, neither knowing what they should say about the situation they found themselves in. Luckily it only took the carmel coated doctor a few minutes to see them.

“Mr. Glass, Mrs. Sparkle” he said, nodding to both of the respectively, “Excuse me if I skip the pleasantries; I was informed that this was an emergency.”

“We understand doctor,” Twilight said. “Glass was helping me with a recent experiment when one of the chemicals reacted to his magic and exploded. We have no idea what the actual damage is besides that it messed up his right eye. He claims he can see out of it fine though.” Looking Glass merely nodded in agreement with Twilights description.

Dr. Stables leaned in close to examine Looking Glass’s effected eye. “Well I don’t think there’s any retinal scarring and if you can see out of it fine then it is most likely superficial, perhaps the chemical you where working with had a shrinking component of some sorts. And if that’s all then I don’t really see how this constituted as an emergency.”

“This isn’t the only thing that was altered” Looking Glass said grimly. “I think it might be affecting my magic too. Just a little while ago I went to open Twilight’s door and I accidentally shattered it against her wall.”

“Well that isn’t too unusual, many unicorns exhibit spikes in the power of their magic in stressful situations” the doctor added in hope of reassuring Looking Glass.

“You didn’t let me finish. I shattered the door into unrecognizable splinters, and then put it back together, piece by piece, into a brand new door. I don’t even know any carpentry spells! My talent is for finding out how stuff works!”

“Oh dear, that is a problem. Stay here, I’m going to get a few ponies in here to run a few tests. In the mean time avoid using any magic, even if it’s just to pick up a pen” the doctor instructed before hurriedly exiting the room.


Twilight and Looking Glass both exchanged a concerned looked and returned to the silence that surrounded those moments before.

The doctors and nurses ran every test possible on Looking Glass’s Magic levels, hooked him up to countless machines, and the most he or Twilight got as an answer to their unasked questions where deeply worried looks. Finally after the tests were completed and the results were examined Dr. Stables entered into the room the two friends were waiting in with a very long face. He stood there in silence, not making eye contact, for a few moments, trying to find the right words for what he was about to say. Finally he let out a sigh and began, “I’m sorry I have to tell you this but right now your magic levels are completely off the charts, beyond what a normal unicorn should be capable of.” This elicited a very confused look from both Twilight and Looking Glass.

“Uh doctor, correct me if I’m wrong but that seems like a good thing” Looking Glass said hesitantly.

“Under normal circumstances I’d agree with you. This would be absolutely amazing. However these are not normal circumstances. Due to your recent history, we strongly believe that this is the result of magic you exposed to about a month ago.” The doctor paused to let this sink in for the both of them. “That being said I do believe it is treatable. We have a number of experienced dispellers on call here; we should be able to rid the magic from your body.

“But doctor, you just said that this magic has made me stronger than ever, why would I want it gone?” the brown unicorn asked

“You don’t understand. There’s a difference between natural magic and gained magic” Dr. Stable explained. “It takes years for our bodies to gain control of our inherent magical abilities. You’ve probably seen what happens with newborn foals, and that’s only a small amount of the magic most unicorns possess by adulthood. And while there are times when a unicorn's magic can be artificially empowered, it is always temporary and never particularly much. With the amount of magic that has been transferred to you and with a possibly indefinite time limit, broken doors will be the least of your worries.”

Looking Glass’s left eye when wide with shock. “In that case get the dispellers in here NOW!” Much to Looking Glass’s relief they had one already waiting just outside the room. She was a bright green mare with curly yellow hair and a cutie mark that looked to be a broken wand. “Hello Mr. Glass, my name’s Spring Shine, and I’d just like to assure you that you’re in good hands. I haven’t met a spell, enchantment, or illusion I can’t get rid of.” She spoke in a warm tone that would have set looking Glass at ease no matter what she had said. “Now, Mrs. Sparkle I’m going to need you and Dr. Stables to step outside for a moment while I cast the spell so that there aren’t any accidents.” Twilight looked at Glass worriedly. Looking Glass gave her a nod to say ‘it’s going to be okay’ and she left alongside the doctor, leaving the two of them alone. “Alright honey, let’s begin, I’m going to need you to bend you head over and close your eyes, the magic will be extremely bright when it is released and it could damage your eyesight.” Looking Glass followed his directions without hesitation, confident that Spring Shine knew what she was doing. Spring Shine lowered her head as well and touched the tip of her horn to Looking Glass’s. “Now I must warn you, this is going to sting a bit.” Then without further ado, she began to channel her anti-magic spell into Looking Glass.

Stinging a bit was a major understatement. Looking Glass could feel the spell burning in his horn, slowly working its way down into his brain. However, he knew that it was necessary and simply grit his teeth and bore through it. Spring Shine’s face was beginning to contort in exertion as she poured more and more magic into looking Glass to disperse the unwanted magic inside of him. She could feel that she was almost at the source but she couldn’t quite get through to it. She took a deep breath, eased slightly on her magic and then hit it full force to try and get the magic out. Just need to get… a little… bit … MORE! She thought to herself as she made a final push to hit the magic inside Looking Glass. There was a immensely bright blast, a loud thud and then silence. Looking Glass opened his eyes to find that the hospital room was it tatters, chairs were knocked down, pamphlets were scattered about everywhere, the bed was charred and lightly smoking and Spring Shine was crumpled up in a heap at the opposite wall from Looking Glass. “Oh Celestia!” Looking Glass shouted as he rushed over to the injured mare. “DOCTOR, DOCTOR! Spring Shine is hurt!” Hearing Looking Glass’s yells both Dr. Stable and Twilight ran into the room. Spotting Spring Shines in the corner, Dr. Stable quickly jumped into action.

Once he reached her he knelt down to check her vitals. “Alright, she seems to be breathing but she’s badly hurt, and barely even conscience. We’re going to have to get her to the emergency room immediately.” Ignoring Looking Glass and Twilight in favor of critically wounded Spring Shine Dr. Stable picked her up in his magic and quickly, but carefully, exited the room.

“What the hay happened Looking Glass?” Twilight asked in confusion

Looking Glass shook his head and responded, “I don’t know, but this can’t possibly be good.”