• Published 1st Nov 2016
  • 630 Views, 19 Comments

In the Clouds - Thought Prism



Sometimes, you just have to get away from it all for a while. And Equestria is as good a sanctuary as any.

  • ...
5
 19
 630

Stories and Connections

"... And then there's Nashi, who we adopted a few years ago. He's sweet, but can be a little shy sometimes," Tamiyo said. "Another Planeswalker burned down his village."

Twilight's face fell. "Oh. That must have been painful for him."

"Nashi was fairly young at the time, which is both a blessing and a curse. He doesn't remember much about what happened. We've been taking tare of him as best we can, making sure he knows he's loved just as much as our other children, even though he's a Nezumi."

"That's good to hear," she said.

Tamiyo waited for Twilight's next question. When they had started their promised interview session, Twilight had began by frontloading her with questions on the nature of Soratami magic and that of others as it related to Equestrian arcane theory. Only after her curiosity on that topic was fully sated did they move on to more personal questions. Tamiyo had ended up learning much about Twilight too. Who knew her brother was the prince of a neighboring nation?

"Ah, here's a good one," Twilight said. "Out of all the planes you've visited, which one was the most interesting and why?"

Tamiyo thought that was indeed a good question. "Well, from an academic standpoint, they're all interesting. If I had to choose... Equestria, maybe?"

Twilight huffed. "You can't say that! It defeats the entire point of me asking! I don't know... which one is the most unique, then?"

"Oh, that's much easier. Mirrodin, certainly. That world is made up of layers of metal, some kinds entirely absent elsewhere."

Twilight appeared perplexed. "The whole world? No rocks or dirt or anything?"

Tamiyo nodded. "The whole world. Even the inhabitants. It's quite something to behold. Rolling hills of chrome, trees of copper... when the landscape catches the light of one of the suns, Mirrodin can be extremely beautiful."

"That does sound like something else." Twilight's gaze started to drift, clearly imagining what it must be like, and there was a lull in the conversation. Tamiyo was surprised by her lack of follow up questions.

"Is there anything else you wanted to ask me, Twilight?"

"Hmm? Oh, right." She glanced down at her list. "Actually, that's pretty much it," said Twilight. "I was going to ask about how you got your 'spark', but I didn't want to bring up another touchy subject so soon. We had such a great rapport going, after all."

"How very kind of you." After their impromptu two-way therapy session, which took up all of yesterday morning, Tamiyo was feeling much better overall. She wanted to keep that equally dreadful set of memories in the back of her mind where they belonged.

Then she realized the implication behind Twilight's statement. "Wait a minute," Tamiyo said, "What about my stories? You said you wanted to read a few of them at some point."

She smiled. "Actually, I had a better idea: I invited the Crusaders over!"

"The Crusaders?"

Twilight nodded. "That's what Sweetie Belle and her friends go by. I know you like kids, and she told me the other day she wanted to see you again. Figured I'd feed two dragons with one stone by just listening in on storytime."

"Really? That sounds lovely," Tamiyo said.

"I'm glad you think so, because they should be—"

She was cut off by the sound of galloping. Two fillies rounded the corner and ran up to them, both clearly excited.

"Hi, you must be Tamiyo! I'm Scootaloo! Great to meetcha!"

"And I'm Apple Bloom!"

Twilight frowned down at the pair, and looked like she was about to break into a lecture, but instead just sighed.

"Wait up you guys!" Tamiyo heard Sweetie Belle exclaim from down the hall. She trotted in shortly after, panting a bit.

Tamiyo failed to hold back a mirthful chuckle. "You seem to be doing well."

Sweetie just rolled her eyes, still too winded to speak.

"She's fine," said Scootaloo. "Anyway, you are Tamiyo, right?"

"Yes," she confirmed.

"Then thanks for helping Dash fix winter!" Scootaloo exclaimed.

Tamiyo waved it off. "It was nothing, really. Anypony in my position would have done the same thing." It never hurt to come across as modest. Bonus points for nailing the local speech patterns.

"That really was you?" said Sweetie. "I didn't think it was true."

Scootaloo pouted. "Hey! That's not because I told you, was it?"

Apple Bloom raised a hoof. "She's right there, y'all. We could just ask her. Ain't that why we're here?"

"Close enough," said Twilight. "Why don't we all sit down?"

One chorus of okays later, and the five of them took their positions, with the crusaders across from Tamiyo and Twilight off to the side.

"So," said Apple Bloom, "What's it like where you're from?"

"Well, it's not too unlike Equestria, really," Tamiyo said. "The culture is quite different, though, and that's the part I like to study the most when I travel to new places."

"The culture?" asked Scootaloo. "Like the Wonderbolts?"

Tamiyo grinned. "Not just them. As a story keeper, I've been to many places, and recorded many tales of heroism."

"Cool! Can we hear one now?" asked Apple Bloom.

"Yeah!" said Sweetie Belle. "I've been excited for this all day! I'm sure you've read plenty of rare, ancient legends."

"Indeed I have," Tamiyo said. "And I think I know just the one to share."

"What is it?" asked Apple Bloom as she practically bounced in place. All three of them were, really.

Slowly, to build suspense, Tamiyo pulled out a worn-looking scroll with her magic. The fillies watched in anticipation as it unfurled. "This is the oldest story I have ever discovered on my travels," Tamiyo said. "It is a tale from the distant past, long before Equestria even existed, perhaps even predating ponies themselves."

The three oooed in unison.

"Shall I begin?"

They nodded vigorously.

Smiling, Tamiyo began to read. "Hand of Justice. Long ago, there lived a wise man in a city of fools."

Sweetie Belle's hoof shot up. "What's a man?"

"It's what the race who wrote this story called their stallions."

Sweetie put her hoof down. "Oh, ok."

"May I continue?" she asked with a sigh.

"Sorry," Sweetie said sheepishly, Twilight giggling softly in the background. "I'll try not to interrupt."

Tamiyo cleared her throat. "His name was Sabul, and he was a powerful guildmage who worked in the ancient city of Kipamu, a wondrous place. Not content with the riches they already possessed, numerous feuds broke out between the factions of the nobles, embroiling the once peaceful city.

"Sabul's uncle Tartesk was the archmage of the civic guild, meant to enforce the law. Against Sabul's warning, Tartesk performed a great ritual to secure his guild's rule over the others. Having performed a similar ritual in the past and learned from the experience, Sabul knew that it would likely end badly for all involved. This ritual would summon a divine avatar of great power to smite all the worst wrongdoers in Kipamu. It was called the Hand of Justice."

Her four listeners completely enraptured, Tamiyo continued. "The Hand, a tall, vast form of white, cloaked in ribbons of holy mana, was at first complacent. It allowed Tartesk to guide it to those he deemed in need of punishment. Coy smugglers, cautious counterfeiters, and heartless murderers, all were dealt with swiftly by its immense power.

"But soon, it stopped listening. The Hand began to roam the streets at all hours, probing minds for any sign of misdemeanor and meting out justice harshly and without mercy. Even the simple thieves who had only nicked pieces of fruit from market stalls found themselves cursed with pus-filled boils."

"That's not too harsh!" Apple Bloom exclaimed. "Farmers work really hard to grow their fruit!"

Twilight leveled her eyes at Apple Bloom. "Uh, I agree with the author," said Twilight. "Such a curse does seem a bit excessive."

"Anyway," Tamiyo said, "Sabul saw this, and grew furious. None should have the right to act as judge, jury, and executioner. And the denizens of the city agreed. But Tartesk did not, and would continue to allow the Hand to do as it pleased, so long as his position was assured. Moreover, the Hand's power was too great, and the guildmages could not dispel what they had brought.

"So Sabul, seeing no other means to save Kipamu, approached the necromancer's guild, and met with its leader, the old crone Jhossendea. After clearing up some misunderstandings and explaining the situation, she agreed to put their differences aside for now and help him solve their mutual problem.

"By freeing numerous prisoners and accumulating sin, Sabul lured the Hand to Jhossendea's mansion, where the pair sprung their trap. There was a great battle of fierce magics, both holy and unhallowed, but the Hand proved to be nigh indestructible. Employing some quick thinking, Sabul surrendered himself to the Hand for judgment, only to spin away at the last moment, revealing the mirror behind him. Now judging its own mind, the Hand, appalled by what it saw, vanished with a wail."

"Whoooah," said Scootaloo.

"Afterwards, Tartesk apologized to Sabul for his hubris, and the latter convinced him to make peace with the necromancers, ending the feuding. Never again in Kipamu would justice fail to be tempered by compassion." With that, Tamiyo closed the scroll with a flourish.

Sweetie Belle clapped her hooves in applause, joined soon after by the others.

"That was neat!" said Apple Bloom. "It had a message, but wasn't borin' at all."

"I can really see the appeal in what you do now, Tamiyo," said Twilight. "Short as it was, that story was fascinating."

"Why'd they have to skip over the fight scene, though?" asked Scootaloo.

"It wasn't about that, Scoots," said Sweetie. "Weren't you listening?"

"Of course I was! Action just makes everything better."

Tamiyo found herself unable to get a word in edgewise. Which was good, as it meant she had succeeded in giving them much to discuss. She elected to watch in satisfaction.

"No it doesn't," said Sweetie. "Who would want stuff attacking them all the time? Like in the bathroom, or at a big ballroom dance?"

"I dunno, but Princess Cadance's wedding got attacked by Changelings and it was pretty awesome," Scootaloo replied.

Meanwhile, Apple Bloom was talking with Twilight. "I suppose that makes sense," Apple Bloom said. "If everypony took the law into their own hooves, things would get way out of control right quick."

"Honestly, I'm starting to doubt my own authority as a princess because of this. Do my friends and I really have the right to just determine what counts as harmony and what doesn't, even though the very tree which embodies the magic thereof granted us the power in the first place?"

Apple Bloom cocked her head to the side in confusion. "Uh, 'course you can. You're the princess of friendship."

Suddenly, Scootaloo shouted over the group. "Hey! Tamiyo, can we get another story, please?"

"I second that," said Twilight.

Similar affirmations followed from the others. Tamiyo smiled and shook her head. Who would she be if she said no? "Oh, alright."

* * *

As the Crusaders scampered back out into Ponyville, Twilight walked over to sit next to Tamiyo.

"Well, that went great," Twilight said. "I'm surprised you aren't the least bit exhausted. I know you like kids, but those three are on a whole other level."

"What can I say," Tamiyo said. "I've been a parent for decades."

Twilight giggled at that. "Anyway, those stories. When you use them for your magic, what spells do they generate? You said it comes from the deeper meaning, right?"

Tamiyo nodded. "When I invoke it, the magic of Hand of Justice redirects a harmful spell back onto the caster, as long as they have never felt its effects themselves before."

"Oh! That makes perfect sense! Just as Tartesk's ritual backfired on him in the end, so too will others feel the full extent of their own decision!"

"Exactly."

"So, the second story, the one from Kamigawa..." Her eyes lit up. "That one is the illusion spell you've been using all this time isn't it?" she exclaimed.

"That's right. You're quite the quick study," she said, grinning.

Twilight blushed a bit. "Oh, stop."

Tamiyo raised an eyebrow. Twilight did not embarrass that easily. "Surely you're not... attracted to me, are you? Because I'm straight. And not actually a pony. And married."

"What? No!" Twilight sputtered. She took a deep breath. "It's just... I'm going to miss this. Having someone like you around... we've connected on a deeper level, literally and figuratively. Not quite as much as my other friends, but still. None of them share my passion for books."

That was... hmm. "Truthfully, I feel the same, Twilight. Perhaps this is a sign I've overstayed my welcome. I wouldn't want you to shed tears on my account."

Twilight's mouth set itself into a firm line. "I don't care! If anything, that's good! It means we have memories to cherish. And who says you can't come back and visit?"

Leave it to Twilight to perk her right back up. "You're right."

"Well, I am the leading authority on the subject after all," she said, raising her chin in mock bravado.

"Ha Ha."

Twilight giggled. "Anyway, I have to go, now. The Annual Ponyville Hearths Warming Decoration Budget isn't going to check itself! Have fun in the library without me!"

"I will. See you later, Twilight."

Author's Note:

I wanted to use a story for this chapter that was both authentic to MTG lore and likely to surprise people, so I borrowed an obscure one. Hand of Justice actually comes out of the old Myths of Magic anthology. I found a used copy for $4 at a bookstore, and it was totally worth it. Tamiyo's version (which I wrote) is an abridged summary, which makes sense, given that it would have been an ancient legend even in Urza's day and bits of it would have been lost over time.