• Published 9th Oct 2016
  • 783 Views, 20 Comments

Equestria World, Book 2: The Rise of Harmony - Gear Works



Jack Diamond, Sunset Shimmer, and Twilight Sparkle return to deal with a threat in the shadows. And they don't plan to do this alone. This time, the whole team will be tested.

  • ...
8
 20
 783

Ch. 10 - A Diamond in the Rough

While Spitfire and Jack were busy getting Fluttershy on board, it was up to Luna and Twilight to do the same with Rarity. But they would have to take a different approach to make this happen. And they would need the help of one other student.

“Thanks, Photo Finish. I’m hoping you can help us with this task,” Twilight said as Photo got into the back seat of Luna’s car with her bag in tow.

“Nonsense. You need help with your problem. And I plan to deliver,” Photo replied as she patted her bag that she brought with her.

“Is that the set of photos that you showed me and Twilight before,” Luna asked as she finally put the car in gear.

“It iz,” Photo replied. “But I much ask. How do you plan to make her join? These photos might inspire her, but it will not convince her to join on ze spot.”

“Well, since I need new clothes for the samurai club in time for the Harvest Festival, she said that she would be willing to help out,” Luna explained. “She just need some ideas that could inspire her, and I’m hoping that your photo book would help as well. I just have to explain to her what’s going on in each photo.”

“But that would not be enough to convince her,” Photo replied.

“Look at the floor next to you,” Luna said.

Photo Finish looked and saw something wrapped in a gray cloth. When she picked it up and revealed the item, she took a quick glance and had an idea what she was looking at. “Is this-”

“It is,” Luna quickly replied. “I’m hoping that it would help inspire her to make the clothes I need for Jack, Sunset, and Applejack, with the use for combat.”

Photo Finish wrapped it back up and placed it on the floor. “Most impressing. You are brilliant.”

“Let’s just hope our plan works,” Twilight said.

When the group finally came up to Rarity’s house and parked by the curb, Twilight looked over to the cars parked in the driveway.

“Looks like Coco is here as well,” Twilight said.

“Well, she was bringing Chrysalis over here with the blades that Jack has been holding,” Luna explained.

All three of them grabbed their own bags and got out of the car. Luna went to the back seat and grab the wrapped item that she brought with her. All three of them went up to the door and rang the doorbell. It wasn’t long until Rarity opened the door to greet them.

“Miss Luna. I’m glad that you could make it.” Rarity looked over to see the others with her. “Twilight. Photo. I didn’t expect you to be here.”

“Photo’s here to help with the new clothes for the Harvest Festival,” Luna explained. “She has a photo book that might help give you some ideas.”

“And I was hoping you could make some adjustments to my uniform that you made me for my training,” Twilight added. “It’s a bit tight in some places.”

“Oh my,” Rarity replied in shock. “Please, come in,” she said, waving them inside.

All three of them went inside before Rarity could close the door. They took off their jackets and hanged them on the wall hooks nearby before making their way to Rarity design room, where Coco and Chrysalis were working.

Chrysalis was the first to respond. “Miss Luna. It’s nice to see you.”

“Same here,” Luna replied. She looked around and asked, “Is Sassy around?”

“Oh no,” Rarity replied. “She’s taking the week off to visit family for the Thanksgiving holidays. She does deserve it anyway.”

“Good.” Luna replied. “Did you bring Jack’s blades?”

Chrysalis nodded and went to grab the case that held both blades. Luna and Photo Finish went to a nearby table and sat down, while Twilight got out her clothes and handed them to Rarity to be worked on. Chrysalis laid the case on the table, allowing Luna to open it and remove both katanas from the case.

“Tea?” Rarity asked the others. “I just made a fresh batch for us.”

“If you will, please,” Luna replied.

Rarity laid the clothes on a tall table before going to the kitchen. After a moment, she came back with a jug of warm tea and several tea cups. She poured the tea into each cup for the others to take. Luna was the first to take a sip and was pleased with the result.

“Rarity, you do know how to make a fine cup of tea.”

“Why thank you,” Rarity said. “Perhaps you could interest me in some green tea in the future? I’ve always wanted to try some of that.”

“I think I have some back in the house. I’ll remember to bring them to school Monday,” Luna said.

Luna put down her cup and went to grab Masamune first. She started by lightly hitting the handle, loosing it so that she could remove it to reveal the inscription within. Then she pulled the rest of the blade out and laid it on the table. She did the same thing with Muramasa and laid it next to the other. She took a look at each inscription on one side, then flipped them over to find the other inscription.

“So what is it that you are looking for,” Twilight asked as she sat down next to Luna.

“Anything that could explain if they were the last katanas that were made,” Luna explained. She flipped them back over to show the first inscription. “While each blacksmith has their own style, which is shown on the blade, they would add their name and the date of when it was made. The ones on this side translate ‘Masamune’ and ‘Muramasa’, which mean that they were the makers of these blades. On the other side-” She flipped each blade over. “-show the date, most likely by the era, year, and date. But I can’t find any positive proof that they were truly the last blades that were ever made, or that they would be used for the challenge.”

“How would you know what they would be used for?” Rarity asked.

“I remember Professor Digger telling me about that,” Coco said. “Sometimes, they would add a message of what it would be used for. Sometimes as a sign of who they would be protecting. Other blacksmiths would add symbols on it to show that it would be used for a challenge. Professor Digger would ask for an expert on the language to help translate and explain where and when it was made.”

“I’m glad that you learned that from him,” Luna said. “They would have inscribe a message saying that they would only use them for their challenge alone. But there’s nothing that would say that.”

Rarity walked up to the blades and picked up Masamune by the exposed handle.

“Be careful with that,” Luna said.

“Oh I will,” Rarity replied. “I just don’t understand why most of it is shiny, but this part looks like a mess.”

“If you see the hole at the end, that’s proof that it wasn’t cut short,” Luna explained. “As for the blade, it takes a lot of work to forge, then glaze before it can be perfected. Otherwise, the blade would easily break. The handle is use to hold while doing the rest of the process. It wasn’t made to be all shiny.”

Rarity, understanding this, started to lay the blade back on the table. But her hand nearly slipped, making contact with Muramasa, causing a slight glow to come from them.

“Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to do that,” Rarity said.

“It’s fine. But…” Luna was curious about the strange glow that only happened for a small time. She looked closely at each blade and could see a faint sign of dried blood on them. “If only he kept the blades clean,” Luna said to herself. That was when something came to mind.

It’s possible that there are other steps in awaking them.

“Could it be…” Luna had to be sure. So she decided to put the sharp end of the blades next to each other when the blood marks were located. Once contact was made, both of them started to glow. Everyone was staring at the glow coming from them, allowing Twilight to react.

“What’s going on?”

“I don’t know. But-” Luna stopped when a new inscription appeared on both handles, replacing the old ones.

“What does it say?” Twilight asked Luna.

“Let me see.”

If you wish to bond with the blades
Then find the keys to set us free

At that moment, the blades stopped glowing, and the inscription disappeared.

“What does it mean?” Rarity asked.

“I’m not sure. But I think the souls of Masamune and Muramasa were just talking to us,” Luna explained.

“Then, these must be the last blades that were created by them,” Coco said.

“And if that’s the case, then the story that you learned from Master Blades is true,” Twilight said. “They must have been dueling with these before their souls were transferred into them.”

Coco said, “Then, if it was Starlight Glimmer who was at the museum to look for them, and she works with the Dark Star Organization, then-”

“Then, finding weapons that contain souls would be needed to complete their goal,” Luna explained. “Someone who has that gift could be able to unlock that soul’s power from within the weapon. But somehow, they need a key to unlock it.”

“What could that key be?” Chrysalis asked.

“I’m not sure,” Luna replied. She started to put all the parts of each katana back together and placed them back in the case, closing it in the process. “I think it would be best to hold on to these for now on.”

“I have to agree,” Twilight said. “If Dark Star is looking for these weapons, then having them in Jack possession would make it easier to complete their goal.”

“And with Jack being in the spotlight, and the fact that he had the blades displayed during the knight’s challenge, they would also know that he now carries them,” Coco added. “I was afraid of this.”

“You still think that issuing the challenge wasn’t worth the risk, right,” Chrysalis asked, to which Coco nodded. “We knew what needed to be done. And now that the wheels are set in motion, we have to keep on going if we hope to find the answers that we seek.”

“Once we find out where Dark Star is located and what their motives are, then we can take action to taking them down,” Luna added. “Until then, we take it one step at a time.”

Rarity decided to change the subject. “Well then. How about we focus more on what you need for the Harvest Festival. Maybe get our mind off of these things and more on promoting the samurai club for the school. Now, show me what you have in mind for me to look at.”

Luna agreed and took the case off the table and to the side so that Photo Finish can display her photo book. She opened it up and went straight to the photos of the people who were using weapons in a dance like format. Rarity’s eyes went wide open at the designs of clothes that each person was wearing.

“Oh my. These are simply marvelous. Where were these taken?”

“At a martial arts tournament years ago,” Photo replied. “I was on assignment with my father there. These were taken during the dance stage.”

Rarity was a bit surprised. “You mean there was dancing in martial arts?”

“It was one of four events in the team competition,” Luna explained. “One followed a person’s skill with a weapon, while another was a sacred dance with another weapon, like a thin sword or a paper fan. The other two focus on strength by breaking a stack of cement blocks and competing against an opponent in one-on-one combat. Everything was scored on a point system for the team.”

“Did you compete in one of these?” Rarity asked.

Luna nodded. “Both me and Spitfire competed for the club. She took part in the one-on-one combat, while I was assigned for the sacred dance.”

“And what did you use for your dance?” Rarity asked, allowing Luna to lay on the table the wrapped item.

“This.” Luna unwrapped the item to reveal what looked like a sabre in its case. “We called it the twin sabres.”

“Twin sabres?” Rarity said, looking confused. “But there’s only one sword in its case.”

“Are you sure about that?” Luna got up and took the sabre out of its case before walking to an open area in the room. At first, she swung the sabre around her until she had it pointing forward with one hand. Then she slight loosen the grip, causing another sabre to fall into her other hand. “It can be used as one weapon or two. But because of the thin blades, it would be stronger to use them together. Otherwise, they can be more flexible during battle by themselves.”

“I see,” Rarity replied. “Did they come from Master Blades’ belongings?”

“No. It was a gift from Master Copper Shield, Spitfire’s master,” Luna explained, putting the sabres back on the table before sitting down. “He was much younger that Master Blades. When me and Spitfire started attending college, she went with the karate club while I went with the kendo club. But when it started to look like the numbers were declining and finding the time and space to practice was becoming a problem, Spitfire went to Master Shield and recommended merging both clubs and working together. This combined cultures from both Chineigh and Japon, since there were some similarities between the two.”

“And that would be why you competed in the martial arts tournament, no?” Photo asked.

“It was,” Luna replied. “Our first year and a joined club became the first year to compete in that tournament. And our team won second place on our first year. The winning team congratulated us and hoped that next year would be more of a challenge for both teams to win.”

“So what happened the next year?” Rarity asked.

“We won first place next year and the year after that. But… those years didn’t feel like the first year we competed. The winning team withdrew the next year for personal reasons, then came back the follow year. But that time, they weren’t the same like before. So we decided to withdraw what would be our fourth year so that others can enjoy winning for their own teams without having to worry about competing us. Me and Spitfire would later step aside from the club for others to take a role in the tournament the next following years while we finish up with college classes. Since then, the club focused on performing than competing in tournaments.”

“Did Master Shield knew about Master Blades’ gift?” Twilight asked.

“I don’t think so,” Luna explained. “Even when Professor Star Swirl disappeared and Master Blades retired, Master Shield took over the club with new masters to help out before he decided to retire so that he could help out back in his hometown in Chineigh.”

“Did he show up at Blades’ funeral?”

“No. Spitfire told me that he was working back in the shaolin temple where he trained before moving to the states to be a math professor and martial arts instructor. I could only guess that word of Blades’ passing would be hard to deliver to him where he was at, so I can understand if he didn’t show up. Shaolin monks would be cut from the outside world, unless they were selected as a traveling monk to teach and help others, which he was back then.”

“It would be nice to meet him,” Rarity said. “He must have been a generous man to help others outside of the temple.”

“He wasn’t just generous, but was the fastest to learn all the shaolin teaching in a faster time than any other monk there,” Luna explained. “He told us that when he was allowed to select one of the temple chambers, he elected to revive the 36th chamber, which allowed him to journey outside the temple walls.”

“I heard that there were many challenges to pass to become one of those kind,” Coco said.

“I believe that was true,” Luna explained. “While we never learned all of his teaches, since certain items would be needed to make it possible, and the fact that most students wouldn’t be able to handle the brutal work that would be needed to learn it all, we did learn the basic training styles and select styles that would fit each one of us. Hopefully, Spitfire will come up with other training style for the others in our group.”

“While it would still be nice to meet him, I for one would not want to face that kind of intense training that he would give,” Rarity said as she got up and collected the empty cups.

“I’m sure he could find a style that would be right for you,” Luna explained. “I was hesitant at first to accept this style of dance for the tournament, since I wanted to compete in the weapon display by using the bo staff, but that task was given to Spitfire with the nunchuck. But after working with him in this, I was able to learn something new that I never knew existed. That’s why he gave these sabres to me as a going away present. I use the summer nights to practice with them while school was out, since it was the only way I could maintain my focus and clear my head after the stressful months of working at CHS.”

As Rarity took the cups back to the kitchen, Twilight leaned up to Luna and whispered, “Think she’ll join us still?”

“I’m not sure. But I think you might have need to convince her.” Luna gazed at Twilight’s uniform, to which Twilight was able to catch on and nodded back.

Rarity came back into the room asking, “So, what would be a good idea about what would help for the festival with the photos that you have already?”

Luna took a moment to think about this. “Well, I’m sure that Jack and AJ would be able to display their physical talents like before when they duel in the workout room.”

“Oh I still remember that day,” Twilight said. “It was the only way for Applejack to get a date for the dance.”

“Oh I remember her telling me that,” Rarity said. “She wasn’t pleased with the outcome at the time. But I can understand the reasoning for his actions now. I just wish she would go up to him and just ask the question. That’s all she needed to do.” She let out a sigh. “Well, there’s the spring homecoming next year. Maybe she’ll finally get her chance by then, if the right boy came around. Anyway, would they be the only ones on display?”

“Well…” Luna took a moment to think about it. “I want to have Sunset do her part, but I’m not sure how?”

“Why not have Jack and Sunset go against each other,” Chrysalis recommended. “Maybe it will be a good test of their soul link powers.”

“I like the idea,” Twilight replied. “As long as the process is kept in secret, it would be a way to learn more about how it works. They just need to know the same style, and it should be second nature to them.”

“You might be right, since you were the one who gave the idea yesterday about them,” Luna said. “Maybe I could have Applejack go against Spitfire in hand to hand combat, and have Jack and Sunset battle with a bo staff.”

“A bow staff?” Rarity asked, raising he eyebrow.

“Bo. B. O. It’s like a quarter staff,” Coco explained.

“Oh, I see. Like the staff that one guy uses in Robin Hood,” Rarity said.

“Yea. Like that one,” Coco replied.

“Well then…” Rarity took a moment to think about it. “Maybe something without sleeves?” Then she shook that idea out. “No, no, no. They would be getting too cold at this time of the season.” Another idea came into mind. “Maybe big sleeves instead, right?”

“That could be a problem if you were using a staff,” Coco recommended.

Rarity looked at her and said, “Well, how would you know, Coco. It’s going to be getting colder when the festival comes around, and they will be outside. I’m sure what I made for them wouldn’t work for an event like this. Unless I can figure out how to fix the sleeves. I do need to fix Twilight’s uniform.”

Twilight knew she found the opening she needed. “Why don’t you try using Miss Luna’s weapons to get a feel of it with your own arms. Then you can figure out how they would use something like that. I am using a grip like those, not to mention the fact that I have to swing with my arms to throw.”

“Well…” Rarity took a moment to think about it before she started to catch on to their act. “Oh no, dear. I’m not going to fall for it. If you think you’re going to get me to train with you and the others, then you can forget about it.” She crossed her arms and snubbed her nose in the air.

“Rats!” Twilight replied. “I almost had it.”

Rarity looked back at her and said, “Trust me Twilight. I’m not a fighter like Applejack or Rainbow Dash. I’ll make the clothes, but nothing more.”

Now Twilight felt defeated. “I hope Jack has better luck with Fluttershy.”

“Oh? I doubt she’s going to fall for the same trick that you tried to do to me,” Rarity replied. “It’s just not going to work.”

“Hey! Not only do I have to learn how to throw some bladed discs, but I have to learn some kind of… crane style of fighting,” Twilight snapped back. “It’s not easy when you feel tight in all the wrong places.”

Rarity raised an eyebrow. “Crane style? What does that have to do with fighting?”

“It’s one of the five main animal styles of fighting,” Luna explained. “There’s tiger, leopard, snake, crane, and dragon. There are other animal styles of fighting, but these are the main styles that most shaolin monks train in. It was something that I learned from Master Shield.”

“Coach Spitfire said that it would allow me to mimic the animal and how they were able to attack or defend themselves,” Twilight explained. “I had to keep my knees together while my feet apart and my arms spread out like wings.”

“She’s right about that,” Chrysalis added. “I went and mimic what she was doing, and it wasn’t easy.”

“If that’s the case, then why don’t you work on her clothes instead,” Rarity replied.

“I don’t have that much experience in detail fashion the way you do,” Chrysalis replied. “I can draw the ideas, but making the adjustments for someone else is still new to me.”

“Rarity? You always know how to make the dress that feels just right for the person who wears it,” Coco explained. “You even try to find every detail that is also needed so that the wearer doesn’t complain about it. And Twilight is complaining about hers. At least try to mimic what she could be doing so that you can find out what you need to do to make the clothes better for her.”

Rarity, understanding her fashions habits, gave in. “Fine. I’ll do it. But don’t think for one second that I’m going to join your group of trainees.” She grabbed the sabres and felt the weight of it. She wanted to move it around, but noticed that there wasn’t enough room to do so at the moment. “This will not do. I simply going to have to try this outside. Let me grab my coat.”

“Hold on there,” Twilight said. “I don’t wear coats when I’m practicing. I doubt that’s going to help in my case.”

“And what do you expect me to use while outside? It’s a bit chilly out there,” Rarity said.

“Use my jacket,” Chrysalis said. “It should be easier to work with for now.”

“You mean that green old jacket you always keep around?” Rarity asked, to which Chrysalis replied with a mean stare. “Alright, alright. I’ll use that thing outside. Coco, grab my notepad.”

While Chrysalis and Photo Finish stayed inside, the others grabbed their jackets and went outside to the backyard. Rarity went into the center of the backyard where it was more open. She started to swing the sabres in various directions and explaining to Coco what details would be needed for the adjustments. She thought that just basic swings would be enough to work with, but Twilight wasn’t satisfied with what she would be doing.

Seeing this, Rarity knew that she would have to go the extra mile to satisfy Twilight. She started to swing and rotate more, finding details that would also be needed. It wasn’t long before she started to get carried away with her research and slowly enjoyed playing with them. She was displaying side swings, full circle swings, and also rotating her body with the sabres stretched out. It became more of an art to her than just fighting. But the style that she was displaying was all too familiar to Luna.

“That style. Is that the… shark fin style?”

But Twilight experienced something different from Rarity. It was something that she never experienced in her life.

“What is this feeling that I’m sensing? It feels… strong. Positive. Pure. Could I… could I carry this same gift as Jack?” Twilight shook her head. “No. It only works on negative energy. This is much different. Maybe… the realm of souls? The tree of harmony? Could something like this have a part? This is just… strange.”

Rarity started to feel tired and stopped what she was doing, and that energy that Twilight sensed faded away.

“Wow! That was… tiresome, but fun,” Rarity said.

“Rarity, where did you learn how to do that?” Luna asked.

“I don’t know,” Rarity replied. “It just… felt fun. Why?”

“That style you just displayed what the same style that Master Shield taught me,” Luna explained. “The Shark Fin style.”

“What is that?” Twilight asked.

“It’s more of an aquatic style of fighting, relying on moving like a shark on land.” She went up to Rarity and asked for the sabres, to which she agreed. Luna went up to one end of the backyard and bend forward with her head facing forward and her arms straight out, but lower, allowing the tip of the sabres to touch the ground. Then she started to run forward, dragging the sabres with her. She lifted her right arm and started to turn left. Then she swung her right arm forward, lifting her left arm and rotating her body in a full circle before striking the sabres to the ground.

Twilight was surprised. “Wow! That was great. Just like how a shark moves in the ocean as it hunts for food.”

“That’s right,” Luna replied as she rejoined the others. “It relies on speed in order to strike. Plus, if done on sand, you can use it to blind your enemy. Those who don’t have the strength to attack with most weapons or fist would use this style to affect your opponent in combat. The main key in this is to relax and let it happen.”

“Is that… is that something that can be taught?” Rarity asked.

“I thought you didn’t want to take part in any of this?” Twilight said.

“It’s just… felt fun, that’s all,” Rarity hesitantly replied.

“It can be fun if it’s used as a dance,” Luna explained. “But it takes a lot more if used in combat. I do remember most of the shark fin teachings that were given to me, so I might be able to teach you that style, if you’re interested.”

“Well…” Rarity took a moment to think about this. She knew if she went along with this, she would have to go through the same training as the others. But doing this gave her a better idea as to what Jack and Sunset would also go through as well. And if Jack was in the spotlight, he would need to be ready, in case the worse happens. “I guess it would help get an idea for your club. Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon are going to be a part of the club, so they would also need something to wear without them complaining. Alright, I’ll do it.”

“That’s the spirit,” Luna said. “And you don’t have to worry about the two girls’ uniforms now. I hope to fully bring them in to training next semester. For now, they plan to watch during the Harvest Festival. It will be just Jack, Sunset, and Applejack with me and Spitfire for the performance.”

“I see. And since I have a better idea, I can work on new uniforms for the performance.” At that moment, an idea came to Rarity’s mind. “That it! I just have a new idea for Sunset and Applejack to wear in the future. I have to draw it now before I forget. Coco, we have work to do.”

“Coming Rarity.”

Rarity and Coco went back inside, but Coco stopped for a moment and looked back to the others, giving a wink before going inside.

“Well, looks like we got her on board. I hope Jack and Spitfire do the same with Fluttershy.” Luna Luna looked at Twilight and noticed that something was on her mind. “Something wrong?”

“I… don’t know,” Twilight said. “It’s just that… maybe it’s just me, but for a moment, I felt… something. Like…”

“Like pure energy coming from Rarity?”

Twilight looked at Luna and was surprised. “You mean you felt it too?”

Luna nodded. “It was strong, and pure. And there had to be a reason we felt it.”

“Could it be related to our time in the realm of souls? Or even the tree of harmony?” Then another idea came to mind. “Maybe it’s related to this awakening that Jack told us about.”

Luna placed her hand on her chin. “Good question. I’ll have to talk to Master Blades about this. Until then, we don’t talk about this to anyone. Even Jack and Sunset.”

“Why?” Twilight asked, only to understand why. “Oh, I see. They would have to experience something like this for themselves. Otherwise, our we can’t prove our theories about what we experienced.”

“You catch on quick,” Luna said. “But since you brought it up, I would like to know more about this awakening. And if what we have in the school library has anything to say about it, then I want to know how this process works, before Dark Star catches on to us.”