• Published 9th Oct 2016
  • 780 Views, 20 Comments

Equestria World, Book 2: The Rise of Harmony - Gear Works



Jack Diamond, Sunset Shimmer, and Twilight Sparkle return to deal with a threat in the shadows. And they don't plan to do this alone. This time, the whole team will be tested.

  • ...
8
 20
 780

Ch. 7 - To Train Or Not To Train

Twilight Sparkle, Applejack, Sunset Shimmer, and Jack Diamond were able to join up with some of their friends for lunch: Rarity, Coco Pommel, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Soarin, Flash Sentry, and Moon Dancer. They simple explained to the others what they now learned and what would be the next step. And the reactions to each issue was mixed.

“I can understand that the basketball tournament is the main goal for the group,” Rarity explained. “But having Twilight go through the same training as Jack and Sunset is a bit harsh. I mean she was able to stop Sunset Shimmer with her brains, but she wouldn’t last a second against her.” Rarity looked over and remembered that Sunset was already with the group. “No offense.”

“None taken,” Sunset replied, rolling her eyes. “I’m really used to it.”

Rainbow Dash responded differently. “Well, I think it’s a good idea. What if Dark Star comes for her and what she’s discovered about Jack’s powers. Professor Star Swirl wasn’t able to defend himself what they came for him. I think Twilight needs to be ready in case trouble comes along.”

Applejack had a different view. “While I’m not sure if it’s something that she can do, I think learning some self defense could help her defense herself. Not all of us can’t be there to protect her. Not even Flash.”

“She might be right,” Flash added. “With everything that we’ve learned so far, we don’t even know what to expect when they decide to show you.”

“Not to mention what they know as of now since the championship game,” Soarin also added.

But Pinkie had a response that only Pinkie can think of. “I think it would be cool. She could do a flying five finger one arm eight pole shaolin exploding death touch.”

Everyone just stared at her.

“Have you been watching too many classic kung fu movies?” Jack asked.

“Now what makes you say that?” Applejack asked.

“The Flying Guillotine, Five Fingers of Death, The One-Armed Swordsman, The Eight Diagram Pole Fighter, The 36th Chamber of Shaolin… do I need to go on?”

Everyone just shook their heads.

“But still, I’m not sure that Twilight can handle being trained by Miss Luna,” Rarity explained again. “She is a master to Jack, and now to Sunset.”

“She’s going to be the master of the samurai club next semester, so I’m going to have to go through this as well,” Applejack explained.

“Then why don’t we do it with Twilight together,” Rainbow Dash recommended. “We’ve been by her side against Sunset last school year, no offense. So we should just as well train with her.”

Pinkie started to get excited. “Oh, oh, oh. I want to train as well. I can be a ninja, right?”

“It’s not like that, Pinkie,” Sunset said. “We have to train under Coach Spitfire as well. She has experience in physical contact.”

“Well count me out,” Rarity said. “I don’t mind helping Twilight out, but I’m not cut out for something like that.”

“What about you, Fluttershy,” Rainbow Dash asked.

Fluttershy looked down and touched both fingers together. “Well, I’m not sure about all this.”

“But you were able to handle those Crystal Prep bullies that took Angel,” Pinkie said.

“Well, that because… they took Angel,” Fluttershy explained. “He’s an animal, and I care for my animals. But like Rarity said, this is much different.”

“Well, If Rarity and Fluttershy wants to stay out of this, then I’ll be happy to take their place,” Flash said.

“Me too,” Soarin added. “Since Coach Spitfire is going to be a part of this, maybe learning from her could help us focus better with our game.”

“Speaking of which, how are we going to figure out who has the gift and who hasn’t on Crystal Prep’s team,” Rainbow Dash said. “We know five of them do, and they’re on our side for now.”

“Not to mention how they are able to get these powers,” Applejack added.

Twilight’s focus changed when the topic came up. “Well, we have an idea, but I need to do some research. Moon Dancer, I’ll need your help as well.”

“What do you need to find?” Moon Dancer asked.

“Genetic mutation,” Twilight replied. “We think it could be the reason for these powers. And it’s possible that they could be using whatever they drink for sports games.”

“You mean they’re spiking their own drinks?” Pinkie asked with a shock on her face.

“That could be the case, but we’re not sure how,” Twilight said.

“Do you think Coach Fleetfoot should be told about this?” Fluttershy asked.

“I think Miss Luna has that part covered,” Jack explained. “She said that she needed to contact Coach Fleetfoot and Professor River Song. And if I’m correct, the professor might just know someone that can analyze the liquid if it was acquired. We’ll leave it to them to do the work. We just need an idea as to how it’s being done, what they are looking for to make it work, that stuff.”

“Speaking of which, you said that you knew someone who can look into the weapon issue once I get my theory written down and sent to you,” Twilight said.

This really caught Coco’s attention. “Oh, you mean Gear Works?”

“You know the boy?” Applejack asked.

“That’s right,” Coco responded. “He was the first knight to earn the first star since the knights were created. Gears, as we like to call him, was with Night Glider one day while he was still a prob when a case came up. Gears had an idea to resolve it and explained it to Night and was able to get the cased resolved. Another one came up when he was with Sugar Belle to which he did the same thing. So Jack was given a recommendation to give him his first star. And since none of members have yet to received a star since we started the knights, he became to first knight to receive a star. Last I recall, he was ranked a two star before I left.”

“Three star,” Jack corrected. “He was doing a lot of work the next year and earned his third star before the school year ended. I have heard that he’s been doing more work for the knights, and since we can’t be there as of now, there has been talk about selecting him as a four star knight and part of the council.”

“Anything else that you can tell us about him?” Twilight asked Jack.

“Well, his school grades are average, which is something that we take into for the knights. But he has had perfect attendance since he started school, which has made him very useful as well. And he keeps an open mind about what’s around him. That’s why he’s one of the best that we have for the team.”

“Do you think he can keep your gift a secret?” Applejack asked.

Jack and Coco looked at each other, to which Coco needed an update on one other issue from Jack.

“Have you heard anything about Blaze?”

“Not yet. But I’m hoping for a response about him by this weekend.”

“Maybe he’s focused on something else,” Rainbow Dash said. “Is he into anything else over there?”

“I believe he was also on the basketball team last season,” Jack said. “But Double Diamond and Night Glider plan to try out for this year’s teams. That could be why we haven’t heard back from them.”

“Maybe we should bring Gears into all this,” Coco recommend. “He might be able to help get Blaze to help us.”

“With what we have to deal with, he might be the best person that can work with Professor Digger on the weapon theory,” Jack said. “I think we can trust him on this.”

“Seems like we keeping adding more people into this hunt,” Flash said. “Anyone else we should add while we’re on the topic?”

“Miss Luna is working on that as well,” Jack said. “Photo Finish.”

“Seriously?” Rarity responded. “I know she’s good with pictures and videos, but what if she tells everyone about what you carry?”

“I can understand what you mean, Rarity,” Twilight said. “But she does keep a record of every game. And she will be with us during tryouts. She might be able to find anything that can stand out in the videos.”

“But how do you plan to make sure she doesn’t reveal his secret?” Rarity asked.

“Maybe Principal Celestia can help us with that?” Twilight explained.

“I think that’s what Miss Luna had in mind,” Jack said. “Let’s see what they can do, and we can go from there.”


Fifth period was coming to and end, and Jack quickly explained to Chrysalis, Vinyl Scratch, and Octavia Melody about getting the teams into the tournament and Twilight’s training.

“Twilight training?” Octavia said. “You think she can do it?”

“We won’t know until we find out,” Jack said.

“I can understand her dealing with what she’s faced, but this might be the biggest challenge that she has to deal with,” Vinyl explained.

“I know. I’m worried about this idea,” Octavia said.

“We don’t have much of a choice. But some of the others plan to help out with her,” Jack explained.

“Even Rarity?” Octavia said.

“Nope. Not even Fluttershy wants to help,” Jack explained. “But we have to do what we can.”

“If it means having to survive what is coming, then it will be a challenge,” Chrysalis said.

“Well, we need to get to our next class,” Octavia said.

Jack and Chrysalis waved to Vinyl and Octavia as they went their way.

“Jack, is it possible that I can join you in training as well?” Chrysalis asked.

“That’s up to you,” Jack said. “You might have to stay with me if it’s after school if necessary. But you’ve gotten lucky surviving on your own before we met. Maybe you might be up to the challenge. But I have a feeling that this could be bigger than we know. There could be a risk if you want to help out.”

“Well, keep me posted on what you will be doing later on. I still want to help out anyway,” Chrysalis said.

Jack nodded, and both of them went their separate ways. Jack made his way to Principal Celestia’s office. As he entered the office, he was greeted by Ms. Raven.

“Jack, you have a moment? Miss Luna is talking to Principal Celestia for a moment.” He nodded and took a seat nearby. “I’ve been told that Starlight Glimmer could be controlled by a soul eater. Is that true?”

Realizing that she wasn’t told about Principal Cinch, he decided to respond. “We’re not sure. I know I sense something odd about her, if it was her. But until I cross paths with her again, I can’t be sure. Have you ever noticed anything odd about her since the death of her foster parents? Something that you haven’t told us?”

Ms. Raven shook her head. “Not that I can catch on to. She recovered later on when I was became her caretaker after that day. But now that you think about it, she was focused on her schoolwork that she didn’t have enough time to be with friends.”

“She never had any friends that she wanted to be with?” Jack asked.

“Not in high school,” Ms. Raven explained. “But she did make one friend in college. A nice man just her age. He was also smart as her. Name was Sunburst. I remember him coming over with her over every spring break. But I think they went on different career paths after college, so I’m not sure if they still keep in touch. You think he could have any part of this?”

“Hard to say. But if they first met in college, but went their separate ways, he may not be a part of this. Maybe Starlight changed after you left her so that she would focus on politics. To many question to figure out right now. We should focus on what’s in front of us and figure out who’s really doing this. If the Mane-iac is around, we need to know where and with who.”

Ms. Raven nodded in agreement. Just then, the office door opened, revealing Principal Celestia in the doorway.

“Jack, forgive me, but we need to talk.”

Jack went inside as the door closed behind him. Celestia went to her desk and sat down.

“My sister has told me what has transpired in the Realm of Souls. And while I understand what our goal is, I worry about having Twilight go through this training that has been requested.”

“I explained to her about making it to the tournament, and the fact that the Mane-iac could be inside Principal Cinch,” Luna explained. “But she’s worried that Twilight wouldn’t be able to handle my style of training, to which would be slightly different from what I will be training to both you and Sunset.”

“I know she’s smart. But I don’t want her to do something that she has no experience in when you are able to do for yourself,” Celestia explained.

“I can understand what you mean,” Jack explained. “But we could be dealing with something bigger than what we first knew. If the Dark Star Organization is hiding in plain sight, then we may have already shown our hand too soon. And if Twilight is going to take over for Professor Star Swirl, then it won’t be long before they come for her for what she trying to discover the same way Star Swirl did with Master Blades. We already learned about the changeling army who tried to do something similar long ago. And now that we’re dealing with a soul eater that may have lived longer than you average human, not to mention cyber mechs from what I first saw, we may not have much of a choice. Besides, some of us have gotten on board with training with us.”

“We?” Celestia said, being concerned about what was to come. “Who else is in on this?”

Jack answered. “Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Flash Sentry, and Soarin.”

“Rarity and Fluttershy doesn’t want to help out?” Luna said.

“They think that they won’t be able to handle it,” Jack explained.

“See. What did I tell you,” Celestia responded.

“But Chrysalis wants to join in, since she’s been able to survive on her own.”

“At least another is willing to step up,” Luna responded. “But you would think that Rarity and Fluttershy would be willing to be by Twilight’s side like before. All six of them have been glued to the hip since they came here.”

“That’s because what’s being discussed here is something that I didn’t even expect to happen,” Celestia said. “It’s too dangerous to let it take place.”

“May I add something here,” Jack said. “I know when we started this, it was to find out about the were-a-bouts of Star Swirl and what’s been going on with Crystal Prep. But when I went to the Realm of Souls the first time during the championship game, I learned that there must have been more about this than what know. And with what little history that there is about the Great War’s secret team and the Dark Star Organization, plus what we now know since our meeting, well… from what we know about the temple raid, if the Mane-iac is a part of this, then there’s a chance that we could encounter those cyber mechs, to which I will not be able to sense when they come for me, or anyone else that has ties to this. This is going to be a challenge in the making, and we need to be prepared for this. Mane-iac is going to make her move, that’s for sure. Where and when is up in the air. And I would like for Twilight to have a clear head when we make it to the tournament.”

Celestia let out a sigh and clasped her hands together, realizing what had to be done.

“OK. I’ll go along with this. But both of you need to make sure that no one gets hurt.”

“We’re do our best,” Luna said. “Now if you will excuse me, I need to send a message to River Song and see if she knows someone that can help us with our genetic mutation problem.”

Luna started to go towards the door before Jack interrupted. “Master Luna. If you plan to send her a message, I need you to let her know that I want to bring Gear Works into all this.”

“Is he the one that you were talking about to look into the weapons?” Luna asked.

Jack nodded. “Yes. I’m hoping that he can learn about Excalibur, and maybe any other weapons we should be looking into. I also want him to help Double Diamond in getting Project Dragon off the ground. I know that it will be a small group, and once Blaze is on board, he will have to find those that he can trust to help. That’s not going to be an easy task to take. I’ll talk to her later when I get my info from Twilight to send to Gears.”

“I’ll see to it that she is aware of this.” Luna opened the door and left the office, closing the door behind her.

“So, we’re bringing more outsiders to our group?” Celestia asked.

“Gears was the first knight to earn the first star, and has been a big help to the team to make it to three stars. I might look into making him a four star knight and part of the council, seeing that I have a new team to work with here.”

Celestia let out a sly grin. “If I didn’t know any better, I think you have finally become a real leader for the team.”

“After what just transpired, I don’t have much of a choice,” Jack said. “Besides, I just think that there’s more to this, and I want to get to the bottom of it before it gets worse. And you need to get Photo Finish to make sure she can help us without revealing any secrets.”

“I think I can find a way to make that part happen.”


It was Thursday, and Jack was in the library’s study rooms learning from Twilight about how the basketball tryouts are done. During that time, they heard a knock at the door. They looked to see Photo Finish and motion her to come in.

“Forgive me for being late,” Photo Finish said as she closed the door behind her. “I have to deal with ze gear before ze practice. Or I can never do… ze magics.” She sat down and placed her book bag to her side. “Besides, I’m not ze only one here with ze magics?”

“I guess you’ve been told about our mission,” Twilight said. “You understand that this has to be kept secret from those that are not part of the team.”

There was a smug smile on Jack’s face. “Tell her what you told me yesterday, Photo.”

“This would be a big story. But only tabloids would use that, and that is trash. I do not do trash.”

“And to think that your father is in charge of the photography department for the local newspaper,” Twilight said.

Jack was surprised. “I never knew about that.”

“You never noticed who took the pictures in the paper from the football games,” Twilight explained. “He does a lot of the pictures for the paper that involves the local area, and finds any from other sources for the national stories. The sports and life sections are what he works on the most.”

“And I learned all of ze talents from my father,” Photo added. “Which brings me to ze next topic.” She pulled out a big photo book from her book bag. “I hear that you are to train, correct?”

Twilight let out a sigh. “Yes. Not that I’m proud of it.”

“Then allow me to show you where I started in pictures.” She opened the book to the front page. There was a single picture that featured a thick forest from the inside. Notes were written around the photo.

“Is this your portfolio?” Twilight asked.

“It is,” Photo replied. “This is ze first picture that I submitted to my father as ze first assignment. I took many pictures and chose this one. He asked me why this one, and I gave no answer. I was confused as to what to look for. He explain that when I decide on ze picture, it must have ze magic, ze story, of what is around it. I knew that it takes time to find the right picture, and to look close to ze picture to find ze story. Over time, and months of practice, I understood what he met. But I knew that I must learn more.”

“And what does this have to do about me?” Twilight asked.

Photo started to flip through each page of her book. “It means that time, practice, and ze will to do this is needed to make ze magic happen.”

Photo Finish kept flipping through each page for Twilight to see how much her pictures improved. But it was one set of pictures that caught her attention.

“Stop right there,” Twilight said. She pointed at a picture of a lady dancing with two scarfs. “What is that?”

“That was ze first sports assignment that I did with my father,” Photo explained. “It was a martial arts tournament.”

Twilight was confused at this. “How can that be part of martial arts?”

Jack looked at the picture and had the answer. “It’s a team martial arts tournament. I remember hearing about these. It involves four events: style, skill, strength, and endurance. They judge each event and award points for each one. That one would be more of a style event.”

“How does style be used in martial arts?” Twilight asked.

“It’s more like a ritual dance,” Jack said. “You’re bound to see it at oriental temples that are home to shaman priests and their students.”

“That is correct,” Photo said. “I saw ze use of ribbons, fans, rings, and even thin swords. Ze other weapons that I saw were used for skill than style. Miss Luna was grateful at what she saw from this. It brought memories when she was a part of ze tournament in college.”

“So, if I was to practice with the ring blades, I would be focus on the style than skill, right?” Twilight asked.

“I think it would be more of technique than style,” Jack said. “You would be using your surroundings to your advantage with a weapon like that. And your quick thinking will help make it happen.”

Twilight started to understand what she would have to do. “I see. But I’ll have to deal with Coach Spitfire’s physical training.”

“Then you have yet to see ze magic of that.” Photo flipped over a few pages to see some of the competitors in strange forms. “I was puzzled at what I saw. But someone watching ze event explained it to me. Some of them were in ze styles of ze crane, ze tiger, even ze dragon. It was hard to tell ze story about these, but ze guy helped me understand what they are.”

This got both Jack and Twilight to start thinking.

“Do you think that Coach Spitfire would know these styles?” Twilight asked Jack.

“We might have to ask her when we see her. But I can guess that she would want to see what you are made of before going to this route. We’re just have to wait and see.”

“There is something I must ask. Why does Rarity and Fluttershy not want to help?” Photo asked. “Ze six of you are inseparable in ze toughest of times.”

“They think that they would not be up to the challenge. But now that I think about it…” Twilight placed rubbed her hand on her chin until an idea came to mind. “Jack, could a fan be used as a weapon?”

“If it’s a metal fan, then yes.” Jack started to catch on to Twilight’s idea. “If Rarity and Fluttershy focused on style than skill, do you think that they could be helpful to us, like they did before?”

“I was just thinking about that,” Twilight said. “Maybe Miss Luna can help us out with that.”

“I can see about asking her during 6th period,” Jack responded. “This can give her some time to think about it before we have practice Friday after school.”

“Is that when she wants you, me, and Sunset to practice?” Twilight asked.

“Yes. And I have just the place to practice at where we won’t be disturbed,” Jack explained. “Chrysalis might be joining us as well, since she still has to ride with me until she gets her license. But she did want to train with us, so this could be a good start for her.”

“Good enough.” Twilight turned her direction to Photo Finish. “Is there any way I can get a copy of those pictures?”

“I see if I get them ready for you tomorrow,” Photo said.

“Good. Because I might need some proof to show them that there are other ways to help out, as long as I can understand how they work.” Twilight then started to remember something that was brought up between Jack and Pinkie. “Say, you knew some of those kung fu movies when Pinkie went on that weird idea back at lunch yesterday. You wouldn’t by any chance have them on hand?”

“I have some that my dad got for me the past couple of years,” Jack replied. “They were filmed decades ago, but were remastered as of late. I think I can find the ones that rely on those fighting techniques to look at. And you don’t have to worry about them being bloody like most movies. They had a different set of special effects that made it look like they were wounded. Very clever back in the 1960s and 1970s.”

“Good,” Twilight said. “Because I want to look at some of them and maybe get an idea of some of these styles that were used. Not to mention any kind of weapons that can also be of some help. It may not be something I’m used to, but maybe I can get a better picture of what I plan to learn when the time comes.”

“If I didn’t know any better, I think you’re starting to understand what we have to do to find the answers we seek,” Jack said.

“I guess with what’s at stake, I might as well be prepared if Dark Star decides to make their move,” Twilight said. “Besides, if we’re also dealing with these… mechs, then we need to find a way to take them on, without the use of your soul senses.”

“Duly noted.”

Author's Note:

First off, Gear Works was a character that I created for Aria's Challenge. I figure I give him a cameo in this story.

Second, that quote that Pinkie said early in the chapter. If you don't have the El Rey Network, then you wouldn't understand.
Commercial 1
Commercial 2
Commercial 3