• Published 6th Oct 2016
  • 4,937 Views, 55 Comments

A Glimmer in her Eye - Amethyst_Dawn



You've always admired Princess Twilight's newest student... from a distance. Everything about her seems flawless, until one night...

  • ...
5
 55
 4,937

A Glimmer in her Eye

You let out a disappointed grunt as the stubborn salespony sticks to his price, making you question the sign that reads "Haggling Allowed" out front. This stallion was either new to the concept of haggling, or he knew it all too well. Based on his scruffy beard and overall appearance, you assume it's the latter. This guy acts like he'd charge twenty bits for a cherry.

Groaning at your desperation, you fork over seven bits, and he greedily collects them as he hands over the flowers. Five roses in a purple vase: three pink, one purple, one light blue. The same colors as the most beautiful mare you've ever laid your eyes on.

It's been a couple months since you moved to Ponyville, after hearing it referred to as the "Capital of Friendship" countless times back in Manehattan. Your only 'friends' back home were either self-centered, manipulative jerks. Or, even better: they were only acquaintances that acted polite, but you always knew that they thought of you as a bother.

Shaking your head to stir yourself from the unpleasant memories of your past life, you instead try to remember the days since you moved here: the first pony you saw, oddly enough, was the other latest resident, Starlight Glimmer. And you were frozen at the sight of her: that silken pink coat, that luxurious bicolor mane. And of course, the first thing you noticed when you saw her: Those beautiful, breathtaking, shining sapphires that could only be seen in her eyes.

They were so deep, and they held such emotion. You knew yourself to be completely unworthy of such a goddess' presence, and you immediately ducked out of her way, and into an alley. You thanked Celestia that she at least offered you a gracious smile, and a lovely welcome as she passed. Her voice was like a choir of angels to your dumbstruck ears. You were always shy around strangers, but in that small moment: you couldn't even bring yourself to move.

Ever since then, your heart was for her...

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Eight Weeks Prior -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

"Hey, you! Anon!"

You chuckle to yourself as you turn around: soon greeted by a cheerful Rainbow Dash, holding her hoof out to you. You take her hoof in yours, and shake it.

You'd become friends with most of the main characters of Ponyville by now: Sunflower Raindrops, Derpy Hooves, Doctor Hooves, Lyra, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy... most of the ponies you thought were worth the effort of socializing with.

At the moment, you were just hanging out in the town square, until someone called for your aid. That's what you usually do on summer days like this.

"So, Rainbow, is this the pony you were talking about earlier?"

Your heart stops, and you feel your face grow slightly warm as that angelic voice caresses your ears like a brook's melody. Holy shit... she's standing right behind you!

What do you say?
What do you do?
What accent do you use?
Why are you suddenly so nervous?
Why is she so sexy?
What the heck is your brain doing right now?
Say something, dammit!

You suddenly feel the need to go bang your head on something hard, use the bathroom, and throw up. Your nerves are all over the place, despite your miraculously calm exterior. All this apparently takes place in less than a second, as you see Rainbow give you a cocky look:

"Yep, this is him alright!" She states proudly.

Half of you wants to strangle that little brat, and the other half wants to kiss her. It's at this point that you realize you've lost your mind, and have descended into a reality where all you can see is pink hearts, hellfire, and nothing else. A single bead of sweat forms on your brow as Starlight walks around in front of you, and looks you right in the-- oh, for the love of Luna, why were her eyes so shiny?

Suddenly, the once pleasant temperature of this sunny summer day becomes increasingly uncomfortable. You'd give anything for a glass of lemonade right about now. Starlight extends her hoof with a cute smile, and speaks in the prettiest tone you've heard yet:

"Hi," she says simply.

Your heart is racing: your blood pressure is skyrocketing, and she's only said one word to you. From the outside, you look like you're just meeting another pony: but you're about to have an aneurysm if you don't say something soon.

"What's up?" You say, taking her hoof with a gentle shake. You mentally slap yourself multiple times for that opener, and remind yourself of a perfectly useful well thirty feet to your right...

"Not much," she says softly. "Rainbow here said you were a fun pony to hang out with, so I thought I'd come over and chat."

"Did she, now..?" You ask quietly, turning your head to fix RD with a fierce look. But, the twerp is nowhere to be found: obviously she knew how you'd react to this. Next time you see her, however: you're going to hug her in thanks, and then proceed to strangle her for this.

"Yeah..." Starlight says, noticing the Pegasus' sudden absence as well. "So... what kind of things do you like to do?"

You feel a lump form in your throat, but you quickly swallow it: and decide that there's no going back now. Besides, to you: she looks just as shy as you are right now...

But, you might just be reading too deeply into that...

...right?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Present Day -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

You and Starlight became practically inseparable since then: she'd even included you into her circle of "Best Friends". Your relationship with her wasn't anywhere near "Marefriend" status, but RD won't stop teasing you: saying "It's only a matter of time, loverboy!"

That mare might be like a sister to you, but sometimes you just want to strangle her... with a cake...

Anyroad, at least she was the one who introduced you two: and you and Starlight had helped each other out of depression innumerable times. You never really got to hear what exactly about her past was causing her depression: but she's made it clear that your very presence helps. You really don't mind supporting her for two reasons: she'd do the same for you, and she always lets you sit a little closer each time.

You can't help but feel your heart race as you imagine giving these flowers to her... eventually. Hopefully, they won't be dead by the time you swallow your nerves.

You saunter through town, heading to your shack near the woods. Your road takes you past the palace, and you can't help but take a brief glance: hoping to catch sight of the most beautiful creature in the world. Finding none, however, you sigh in slight defeat: and prance back down the road at a quickened pace.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Later That Day -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

You sit there, on your little couch: with the opened notebook laying perfectly on the table before you. Normally, you'd be writing lyrics, or drawing pictures by this point. You're not amazing at what you do, but it helps pass the time, and puts bits in your pocket. Especially when the overgenerous Vinyl buys your songs: she may be a mute, but her actions speak volumes. It feels weird to have a fan...

But today, you decide to do something a little different. You take the pencil in your teeth, and start writing:

That Mare of Starlight
Her eyes shine so bright
Easily out-glowing the stars every night

My heart is leaping
Her memory I'm keeping
Even if friendship is the only song we'll cite

Passion is burning
Emotions are churning
Hopeless, I'm flightless without her by my side

Daylight surrounds me
Whenever she's around me
I don't care if it's creepy, for her I will die!

Listen to my heartstrings
You'll hear that they all sing
A song of longing, yet strange satisfaction

Of all the ponies
She's the only one I ever see
Somepony save me from the deadly attraction

I will stand by her side, 'til the day that I die
If she's ever in need of me, through a storm I will fly
In the silence of the sleepless night, I wish she was with me
But until that day comes, her very friendship is ecstasy!

Sweet Mare of Starlight
Eyes shining so bright
I wish you knew how I feel for you

Though my eyes are weeping
My heart's content, and sleeping
and will continue to do so, no Love needed from you

Just be a friend 'til the end
And I'll be satisfied

Though I'm in love with you it won't break me
Darker things have tried

I will survive.

You place the pencil to the side, and give a grateful smile at your own work. Granted, nopony will ever see it, but it's nice to know that you can still vent your true feelings somehow. Now, if only you had the guts to give this to her.

Groaning at your knack for ruining what used to be a pretty good mood, you get up from the couch, and head to the door: deciding to walk through the Everfree once more. Timberwolves weren't up this season, so you had nothing to worry about.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- That Evening -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

You take several deep breaths as you stroll through the enchanting wood: drinking in the sweet forest air into your lungs like nectar to a bee. You feel like you've been walking for days, yet still feel oddly refreshed as the brisk wind kisses your cheeks, turning them a slight shade of pink.

The image of the smiling face of your crush haunts your mind, yet you don't fight it in the least as you head to your favourite place to relax: a little lake you affectionately called Summer Spring.

After remembering that you came up with that name, you reexamine your life: wondering where in the hell you lost your sense of poetics.

Not long after questioning your sanity, you come across Summer Spring. And are about to step out of the foliage when you hear a foreign sound: almost like somepony... crying? You freeze as you search around, and your heart instantly stops once you notice the mare sitting just beside the entrance:

There, lying beside the natural hedge, with her face buried in her forearms, is the most stunning creation the gods have ever placed upon this earth: Starlight Glimmer herself.

You can tell by the occasional snuffles and gasps that arise from her, and the rapid rising and falling of her form that she's crying. Hard. You want to help: but how would your appearance here, at what she probably thought was her private place, not come off as totally creepy?

She looked like she wanted time to herself, but her actions screamed desperately for your aid. You can't just stand there like a creep, and watch her cry now, can you?

Hesitantly, you walk out as quietly as you can, and lay down beside her. Boldly, you take a hoof, and wrap it around her.

She freezes from the contact, but only long enough to look up at you. Once she sees who it is that's come to her side, she dives into your hooves: and lets you hold her tenderly as you allow her tears to stain your chest, and you stroke her mane out of reflex. It's the same thing your mother used to do whenever you had one of your "attacks"...

And now, you're showing the exact care and love to your best friend. But, rather than focusing on making your move: you're too caught up in just... being there for her. It's far too obvious to you that she needed a shoulder- or, rather, a chest -to cry on right now, and you're the only friend for miles.

You let the wracking sobs shudder her form, and you fight back the urge to start crying yourself: it hurts you to see her like this, and her friends better pray that they weren't the cause of it.

Slowly, yet reassuringly, her sobs die off: allowing you two to just share the comfort of the other. You look down into her oceanic eyes: which were now tear-stained, puffy, and red.

"Tell me," you whisper softly, caressing her mane once more. She looks away for a moment, clearly wondering if she should tell you.

"I can't," she says: the tears even staining her voice. "You'll think I'm a monster."

Tenderly, you brush a hair from her face: and gently guide her head to look you in the eye.

"Angels can't be monsters, Starlight." You say, poetically. Her eyes light up slightly, and her cheeks somehow gain a pinker shade, but she still remains silent.

"I won't try and force you to tell me, Starlight." You say in a soft, but stern tone. "But know this: whatever you've done, there is no way I'd ever think any less of you."

After a moment of thought, her head droops, and she sighs: "You really want to know, huh?"

You nod: "In case there's any way I can help, yes."

She lays on her back on the grass, and lays her forehooves on her stomach: nodding for you to lay beside her. You comply, and she starts her story:

"Well, I guess it all starts from the beginning. You see, when I was a small foal, back in my hometown: I didn't have many friends. In fact, there was only one..."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

"... and... well... that's when I became her student..."

Your jaw is on the ground: you can't believe what you just heard! Starlight: epitome of beauty and grace, was powerful enough to hold her own against an Alicorn in a duel of pure magical strength, and travel through time?

Granted, she also used to be evil, but after the shit she's been through: losing her only childhood friend at such a young age, all because of a natural occurrence in every foal's life... and then having her philosophies torn asunder so violently, when she truly didn't know better... you can see why she did all that she did, despite what it all caused.

Looking over to your silent stance, she tears up, and faces away from you:

"I'm sorry..." she mutters weakly. "You must think I'm a beast..."

"No, I don't, Starlight."

You're shocked by your own words, as for a moment: you thought they were from someone else. They just came so naturally that you didn't notice them until they were spoken.

"If anything, now I can only think more of you..."

She rolls over to face you on the grass: eyes still teary, but now filled with shock, hope, and intrigue. An absolute decision forms in your mind: she needs what you're about to say.

"Starlight, you're the kindest, sweetest, prettiest, most faithful, hard-working, smartest mare I know." You blurt stupidly, feeling your face grow hot. "You've always kept a chipper attitude, even when you were at your lowest, and now...?"

You chuckled warmly as you brush her cheek with a hoof, making her cheeks turn a few shades deeper:

"After knowing all you went through, all you've done, all you've fought... how could I not think more of you? You've been dragged through the worst of the worst that fate could throw at you, and in the end you fought off your own prejudice and hatred, and turned yourself around. going from a pretty mare with a heart of stone to a beautiful mare with a heart of gold! What more could one pony ask from another?"

Both of your cheeks are as bright as the sunset by now, and you've only now noticed how close your faces have gotten. Both of you realize what is happening in time, and turn away from each other: clearing your throats awkwardly.

"T-t-thank you," she stammers, using her magic to twirl a small lock of her hair.

"Truth is Truth, Glim." You squeak, before clearing your throat. "I'm just stating the facts."

After spending the next few minutes avoiding eye contact, and stargazing peacefully, you both decide it's time for you to head to your homes.

Wordlessly, you each stand up, and give a meaningful nod to each other. Your heart is racing as she purposefully makes prolonged eye contact, offering you the cutest smile you've ever seen.

Making a small gamble, you scratch the back of your neck with a hoof:
"So... my place is right on the way to your palace... wanna stop by for a bit? I've got some decent board games..."

And just when you thought her eyes couldn't be any brighter...

"Sure!" She blurts, nodding eagerly.

Smiling eagerly at her acceptance, you extend your elbow in a gentlecolt-like fashion. She giggles, and takes your arm as you both walk to the exit.

"I'm so glad to have a friend like you..." She sighs, placing her head on your shoulder.

Any other day, you would have winced: but you've come to accept this by now. And after what you've been able to do for her tonight? You'd take a thousand more friendzones, if you were ever able to help her like that again: that's all that mattered to you now.












Besides... there always tonight to try and tell her how you feel, right?

Author's Note:

Here you go! the first part of My first 2nd Person romance! :heart:
What do you think?

Please leave your opinions down below, give an upvote if you enjoyed it, and I'll see you in the morning!
#uptiltwo

Until Next Time, God Bless You!
~Amethsy Dawn. :twilightsmile: