• Published 13th Sep 2016
  • 4,502 Views, 92 Comments

Shrinking Lavender - Yinglung



Spike woke up to find himself as his pony caretaker, Twilight Sparkle, while the original Spike somehow still acted like Spike himself. The now-pony decided to go about fixing it alone, with both expected and unexpected results.

  • ...
4
 92
 4,502

Chapter 4

The Gala ticket conundrum ended with me doing a U-turn and trying unconvincingly to entice each of them to come to the Gala.

At the end, I had to make tons of promises. That included helping Applejack to repackage her apple products into something that would attract the Canterlot ponies; helping Rainbow Dash to meet the Wonderbolts by pulling strings as the Royal Student; helping Fluttershy to design a set-up that would cover her presence in the Royal Garden; helping Rarity to find a prince charming that would not be a jerk; and helping Pinkie Pie to… uh, I was still not quite sure, but the gist was to ‘have fun’.

All of these were big promises, some bordering on logistically impossible. But as the Gala was still almost a year away, there was plenty of time to figure out a way to slip out of fulfill them.

Except for Rarity’s. Anyone who was not Spike the Dragon would realize that the mare was no stranger to having admirers. I was a bit shocked as well. The added insight from the purple bookworm, who however obtuse was still a mare of the opposite sex, had allowed me to see something obvious in hindsight – Rarity seemed to be merely reacting to the other Spike’s advance with half-hearted smiles.

I could not help but feel a bit dejected... and oddly a bit annoyed. This was unfair to Rarity, of course. While Spike the Dragon was an extraordinarily fine young gentledrake with a smashing good look and a voice of heavenly charm (ahem), it might be too much to expect prompt attention from somepony he barely met a week ago.

By now, I was becoming more comfortable at being Twilight Sparkle the pony. Not that I would ever stop finding a way to reverse this bizarre occurrence, but that also meant that I was beginning to forgo some of my original feelings. That made me feel relieved, but also added a sense of unease on my part. Was I losing grasp of ‘myself’?

But more pertinent to the current headache of mine, was my concern for the other Spike. Seeing how he obsessed over Rarity all day, I began to feel a bit queasy. I would be very uncomfortable if I were to find out Rarity actually did not care for Spike in any shape or form, and yet the dragon still went charging in like a moth into the fire pit.

I did not want him to be hurt, both from the standpoint of a ‘fellow’ Spike and his current caretaker. I’d be quite displeased if the white mare made use of his affection just to make him do things for her, or worse, to play his feelings around like a doll.

Heck, this thought would never cross Spike the dragon’s mind, would it? I shook my head slowly in disbelief, and also to shake away the uneasy thoughts.

Unfortunately, I still knew little about romantic love, Twilight only read about them in those terribly mushy books. Two shmucks did not make one genius, and I didn’t know what to do other than cheering him on and offering support if needed.

Ugh. Why was I thinking so much about the other Spike’s love life? I should have far more important things to worry about!

I sighed slowly. I had a reason to be agitated. The other Spike was not here with me at the moment. He was summoned to Canterlot by Princess Celestia.

At first, I panicked, thinking that something must have busted up. Therefore, I insisted to go alongside with him in my reply letter.

It’s only then when the Princess revealed that she needed Spike for a reception for the dragon community representatives from the East Coast, and having a dragon by her side would bolster Equestria’s image of inclusiveness.

I was still worried, but if the Princess was so frank, I couldn’t appear so stubborn as well. So I reluctantly let Spike depart for Canterlot, albeit not without a lot of words of caution. I even gave him a little signet that allowed him to set off a distress signal when in need. I, of course, disagreed with the other Spike’s opinion that it was unnecessary, over the top and epitomizing my paranoia. I was not paranoid, I was just prepared.

I then set my eyes away from the directions of Canterlot, and stepped away from the telescope to grab a cup of water.

But wait, why were there so many pegasi at the horizon?

I quickly retreated into the library and checked the weather schedule. It appeared that there was a scheduled downpour to wash away the dirt on the streets today.

I sighed and began to move the equipment inside the house. But as I was finishing up my work, I heard a rumbling noise from the street level.

It was Applejack and Rarity. And they looked quite crossed at each other for some reason. But before they shouted at each other again, a pegasus stomped on the cloud above them and turned them into a pair of veritable wet blankets.

Suppressing a mischievous chuckle, I quickly rushed down to the street. They were a bit surprised at seeing me, but they said nothing as I herded them both into the library.

“Come inside girls, quick.” I hushed.

Applejack looked hesitant. “Whoa, nelly. Is inside a tree really the best place to be in a lightning storm?”

I exhaled and shrugged. “This tree house is protected by a lightning rod. If it wasn’t, then it would have burnt down long ago. If you’re still feeling unsafe, I can go up and che-”

“No, no, nope!” Applejack hurriedly said. “It’s been thunderin’ sybeanus out there! Ah’m gonna take yer word fer it.”

Rarity snorted, seemingly deriding the orange mare’s lack of trust. She then grinned at me. “Thank you, darling. I’m most grateful for your invitation.”

Rarity’s words reminded Applejack to say something as well, and the orange mare hurriedly added. “Uh, yeah, thank ya fer the hospitality.”

I then quickly magicked a pair of towels from the hanger. “Here, girls. New, clean towels for you to use.”

Rarity immediately grabbed my towel and started drying herself, but Applejack looked reluctant.

I blinked. I then remembered that Applejack wasn’t too big on cleanliness, since she worked on a farm every day. But still, it couldn’t be good for her health being all wet, so I said. “Better keep yourselves dry, or you might catch a cold there.”

Applejack slightly widened her eyes, and took my towel with an embarrassed look.

“A moment, let me brew you two some hot tea.”

I turned towards the kitchen, but Rarity called out from behind. “T- Twilight, it’s fine.”

“Nuh uh. You must keep your core warm after drenching in the cold rain. Now, be my guests and wait for me, will you?”

The two mares glared at each other, and gave me a gingerly gaze. They then nodded carefully.

Hmm, they must be arguing over something. I better tread carefully today not to offend any of them.

So I went into the kitchen and returned to the main hall of the library with a tray of tea. But when I came out, the two were again bickering over something.

“Can you be a polite house guest and not stomp all over the place with your mud-drenched hooves?” Rarity made a gagging expression.

Applejack huffed and put out her tongue. “Who are you t’ tell me what t’ do, huh? Ah’m no persnickety fussbudget like-“

Ignoring the developing ache in my forehead, I pretended not to hear any of the argument, and walked towards the two with a big grin.

“Hey, girls! What are you two talking about so loudly? Is it anything funny or interesting? Can I hear it too?”

The two turned to me with shock. And then they began to awkwardly chuckle.

“H- Ha hah, we, uh, are just talking about the latest gossip in town!” Rarity said in a very unconvincing tone.

Applejack scoffed. “Who’s-”

Rarity gave her a narrow-eyed gaze, and the orange mare shakily grinned. “Uh, yeah… gossips, whatever.”

I mentally rolled my eyes. They were like water and oil… No, water and oil did not explode when they mix. They’re more like coal dust and sparks.

Regardless, I said. “So, since the storm outside is so big, how about we wait here for a while until the storm calms down, hmm? Let me be your host in the meantime.”

“I, uh…”

A bright lightning flashed outside the window, causing the white mare to gasp aloud mid-sentence.

“Y- Yes, please.” The white mare yelped reluctantly, followed by the nervous nod from Applejack.

************

The night was fraught with petty bickering between the annoyingly prissy Rarity and the terminally unconcerned Applejack. It was pushing at my limit.

What’s worse, the downpour didn’t seem to be reducing in scale, but aggravating as the night progressed. The pegasi must have been working overnight shift. Kudos to them on their work ethics, but darn them for keeping the two timed bombs in my house, and disrupting my observation of the sky towards the Canterlot side.

… Huh, did I just badmouth Rarity, and want her out of my sight as soon as possible? I guess the mind really was slave to desires.

Still, somewhere in my mind, I was clamoring for the company of two mares, especially now that Spike was away from me. It’s lonely and scary to be here all by myself in this still foreign treehouse, in the middle of a terrible storm.

Hmm, three mares in one house, sleeping through the night…

Eww! Wasn’t this what mares call a ‘slumber party’?!

My mind screeched to a halt. The masculine and draconic part of my mind revolted at the idea. It wanted me to bolt out of the door, escape to the far side of the town and yell madly towards the sky despite the pouring rain.

But there was another part of me… I didn’t know what it was, but it was surprisingly okay with this idea. As far as I remember, Twilight never had a slumber party before, being the shut-in she was. And she would probably relish this rare opportunity to have her friends by her side, without the added interference of having a baby dragon in the house.

Ugh… What should I do?

“… Twilight?” Rarity frowned at me.

“… Uh, what? Huh?”

I was dazed by the sudden pull from reality.

“You’ve been zoomin’ out for the last several minutes, pardner.”

Applejack added. “Ah know it’s been mighty borin’ in here, so Ah’m hopin’ that the pegasi would soon go have a rest, then Ah can go home and have some proper shuteye.”

The orange mare yawned, and then belched aloud.

I snorted covertly. However, Rarity immediately winced. “Eww, gross! Can you at least cover your mouth? Have some manners!”

“Meh, somepony can also lighten up and stop obsessin’ over anything that Ah do.”

“Um girls.” I called out to grab their attention.

“Hmm?” Both mares turned towards me with a tinge of annoyance in their looks.

“The night isn’t young anymore, and I bet you two might have to stay overnight until the storm brew over. But this is actually the first time my friends come over and stay overnight! I’m, uh… overjoyed to have you two stay with me tonight.”

The two mares seemed to be quite surprised at the statement that Twilight Sparkle, royal student and bookworm, had had no social life even at this age. Luckily, I was not Twilight, and I could sass my way out of this depressing fact.

“Y- You’re welcome!” Rarity said.

“Me too. Uh, Ah’m glad that yer happy with our company.” Applejack added cautiously.

I tilted my head and smiled. “Well, great. I want you to feel at home and happy here as well. How about we have some fun? Play some games, et cetera?”

Rarity leaned in and said. “You mean… like a slumber party?”

Darn. I purposefully avoided the dreaded S-word, but it seemed to be inevitable.

“Uh, yes, I guess?” I said timidly.

My hesitation was apparently taken as shyness, however, as Applejack slapped my back with her forceful hoof. “Don’t fret, Twilight! If this is yer first time havin’ fun in a slumber party, then we’re happy to make this the bestest slumber party you’d ever have!”

Rarity grumbled. “That’s not even a word.”

“Who cares, Ah heard Pinkie used it once, and a word is a word if someone uses it.”

Applejack said with annoyance, and Rarity immediately turned away with a huff. Only when I looked intently at the white mare for a reply, she seemed to widen her eyes and realized. “A- Ah, of course, darling. We’re totally going to have fun tonight!”

“Great!” I squeezed out a smile.

… Not really.