• Published 13th Sep 2016
  • 4,432 Views, 92 Comments

Shrinking Lavender - Yinglung



Spike woke up to find himself as his pony caretaker, Twilight Sparkle, while the original Spike somehow still acted like Spike himself. The now-pony decided to go about fixing it alone, with both expected and unexpected results.

  • ...
4
 92
 4,432

Chapter 14

I looked up to the top of the building again. Against the rising sun, the giant letters of 'Luna Central' were proudly displayed above the Vanhoofer train station.

Starlight had gone to the ticket office at the moment, so I pulled out the itinerary and read it over again.

"So Tall Tale is next, huh."

I scratched my mane. I did not particularly paid attention when Starlight planned our trip, as I had given free rein to her. I simply wanted to make her first long trip as satisfying and fitting to her wants as possible.

I did not know much about the town either, other than it being at the foot of the Smokey Mountains, and thus presumably having some good mountain view... But a snowy mountain again? Weren't we just freshly out of Ville de Platine?

"Hey, Twilight."

Starlight's voice rang behind me, so I promptly turned. "Hmm Starlight? Two tickets to Tall Tale bought?"

She gazed at me sternly. "No. We're going straight to Ponyville."

"Wait, what?"

Starlight shrugged. "Sightseeing can wait, but your condition needs to be sorted out as soon as possible. I didn't bring enough equipment or reference books on magic with me, so your library will be a prime place to conduct my- I mean, our research."

I fidgeted and lowered my head. Starlight might have become a good friend of mine, but I was still quite uncomfortable with any kind of disclosure, given how the other Spike still not did not know about my true status.

Come to think of it, I might also be escaping the problem by goading Starlight to draw out this trip for as long as possible, and postponing my own return to Ponyville.

Starlight seemed to be an expert on magic of the minds, and she might be able to catch something I missed.

However, what would she make of me herself? I was not what I claimed to be, and I was usurping Twilight's place to live her life and make friends. This was a terrible act for me, and wouldn't Starlight think so too?

Also, I was being pathetically selfish, wasn't I? I started out with such firmness and determination to return everything to normal, so as not to besmirch Twilight's life with my intrusion. However, my attachment to the other Spike and now Starlight was increasingly dragging me down day by day.

I used to, somewhat pridefully, think Starlight needed me as a friend. However, I gradually realized the need was certainly mutual. My inability to resist her pleading in the hotel only proved this point. Now, it dawned on me that I was dreading her possible negative reaction as well, after her investigation and the inevitable revelation. Despite my promise in the heat of moment, I did not want to lose her myself via a botched reveal.

"... Twilight?"

I sharply yelped, and Starlight continued with a frown. "You look really pale. You aren't sick, are you?"

"I- I'm not-"

Starlight again winced worriedly. "Twilight, I don't know why you won't tell me the full story, but I understand you have your reasons. I will help you to the best of my ability, regardless. You told that train-hugging idiot that you wouldn't let me fall wayside-"

"Wait, did he tell you?" I widened my eyes.

She merely waved down my query. "And in turn, as your friend, I can't let you falter with each passing day as well."

I shakily grinned, attempting to clear out the gloomy atmosphere. "N- Now, it's not like I have any kind of terminal illness, is it?"

"... That sounds about as convincing as a pitch from the Flim Flam brothers."

"Hey!"

The light-purple unicorn narrowed her eyes and ignored my protest. "And even if you speak the truth, there's clearly something very wrong with you."

I blanched. For a moment, however unreasonable, I thought she was talking about my abnormal existence.

Starlight, be her so inexperienced with social interactions, still hurriedly shook her head and clarified. "I... I misspoke! I only mean that you need some appropriate treatment to deal with whatever problem that's causing your... uh, condition."

I let out a breath and shifted. "... Do we really have to...?"

Starlight let out a sad smile, and cautiously teased. "Twilight, this isn't like you. You're all wise and delivering morals for one moment, and now you're like a foal who is resisting a spoonful of spinach because it tastes bitter."

Her words unintentionally whipped at my conscience. This time though, I was mentally prepared. Starlight was correct, some bitterness needed to be swallowed before things could be rectified. With her expertise, I was much more confident that something useful could be discovered.

And... and I had no right to claim anything, including friendship, that was rightfully hers anyway.

And so, I closed my eyes, pushed away those selfish desires, and simply nodded. "Okay, to home that is, then."

Starlight perked up and was about to go, but then I thought of something important about her.

"Wait, Starlight. Not that I still have any reservations, but Canterlot sits between Vanhoofer and Ponyville. Won't you want to go check out Sunburst first?"

The curly-maned unicorn widened her eyes like two dinner plates again. "Oh my goodness, I totally forgot about that after running into that train-hugger!"

I squeezed out a smile. "I don't suppose you have a grudge with him like you did with Night Tide, hmm?"

"What do you mean by 'did'? He's still as obtuse as ever!"

Starlight huffed insincerely, but she then quietly added. "No, Sunburst is different."

I was a bit curious. "How so?"

"If I did not topple that bookshelf..."

She went quiet for a moment, and only after noticing my confused look, she added. "No... it's not really about the bookshelf, is it? He's a magical unicorn, and it's only natural for him to go somewhere that helps him study more magic."

I thinly smirked. "But a train-loving pegasus can't go to somewhere with more trains... for some reason?"

Starlight briefly looked irked and red-faced, clearly rattled that I pointed out her hypocrisy. However, she then merely sighed. "I've learned my lesson, Twilight. I was too literal, and associated the physical appearance of his cutie mark as the source of my sadness and friendlessness. But Sunburst... Sunburst was a good colt, and he'd discussed and practiced magic with me for countless days and nights..."

Although it was left unsaid, I could surmise that her blame on cutie mark for ruining friendships was not entirely unreasoned. It must have partially originated from her reluctance to blame somepony that she was so fond of.

As to exactly why Night Tide got the shorter end of the stick, I did not really know. Maybe it was because unlike magic, Starlight did not really see and understand the appeal of trains to a fan? In any case, I would not be so insensitive as to tease her more about her inconsistency.

She let out a heavy breath. "I will go look for him... eventually. But now, a walking, talking pony friend in front of me needs my help. And I'm uniquely equipped with my magic to help her. I think I'm needed in Ponyville more than in Canterlot."

"Starlight..."

"Now, quit being all antsy, the train to Ponyville is about to depart. Let's go, Twilight."

I breathed out as well, bit my lips and nodded. It seemed that my roaming around Equestria was coming to an end, and I had to face my demons.