• Published 4th Sep 2016
  • 621 Views, 0 Comments

Story of Diane Pie: Strange Things - Middle Ground



Strange things have been going on in Equestria and no pony in Manehatten knows why.

  • ...
 0
 621

Chapter 8 - Emptiness part 1

Monday morning and like always I wake up to see Diane still sleeping in bed. I'm still an early riser and my occupation demands it. It was 5 in the morning and I stepped downstairs to get ready for work. Everypony else was still asleep except for Miss Jubilee. She woke up early as well making breakfast.

"Good morning, Bitter Sweet~! Did you sleep well~?" Still full of energy, even at this hour. I sat down on one of the couches to spend a little time.

"Yes, I did. I doubt I could have slept at all if Diane didn't come back home last night. That strange creature Discord practically ponynapped her...." You can imagine how upset I was about that.

"I had no idea you like her so much, Bitter Sweet~! So when are you going to ask her out~?" I then slipped off the couch from that sudden question and then crashed on the floor. Every time there is a mare involved in my life in some way, large or minor, Miss Jubilee has to pester me about getting into a relationship with one....

"Miss Jubilee, for the last time, there is nothing going on between us. She is just one of my patients and that is all." I fixed my glasses and got back on the couch. Honestly, I'm starting to lose my patience with that question.

"You are such a drama king, Bitter Sweet. It doesn't hurt to have a sweetheart in your hooves. I mean, you don't want to be single for the rest of your life, right~?" Miss Jubilee just won't let up....

I sighed, "I told you, I have no interest in relationships right now. I have a career to think about and a relationship will only take up too much of my time. What's mor-"

"Yes, yes, work and careers, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.... You just never have time for fun...." Miss Jubilee was rude in more ways than one in that short sentence.

"I understand you have work to do, but you should also try taking it easy every once in a while. Smell the flowers, enjoy the sunlight, listen to the birds, something that does not have you stuck in your dusty office." She then finished making breakfast and then presented me with a newly baked muffin.

"Miss Jubilee, I do spend time outside. And my office is not dusty. I dust every two days and thoroughly. And I am quite proud of my work too." I then began to eat my muffin.

Miss Jubilee sighed, "You worry me, Sweetie. You worry me...." This mare loves to drive me crazy over this topic. I quickly finished my muffin and then began making my way to the stairway.

"I'm done with this conversation. I'll be leaving now. I'll see you all tonight." I then left the room to make my way out of the building.

"Try to have fun, Sweetie~!" I cannot believe she called me that.... 'Doctor Sweet' was enough. As I made my way to my office building, I then noticed a poster on one of the buildings that spoke of something going on at the Manehatten Theatre. It was a new production called, 'The Trickster and the Thief'. It was supposed to be about somepony who tricks others into stealing priceless artifacts for him only to steal from them. Honestly, despite how terrible of a pony may be, this story did catch my attention. I was quite curious and figured this could actually be fun to watch. Last minute tickets were on sale for anypony who would want to grab a chance to watch the production. And the show would start at 2:40 pm today. I didn't want to miss this chance for what could be a good show so I then rushed over to the Manehatten Theatre to get my ticket. When I got there, a line of ponies was already there to get their tickets before the show starts. And I thought I woke up early.... I waited and waited until I finally got to the booth and I was one of the lucky ponies to have bought my ticket. Was only second to last and I was so relieved to have gotten my ticket. Amazingly, it took roughly six hours to get them before they sold out. There was still time before the show even started, so I decided to head to my office to make sure to let any ponies looking for an appointment that I would be gone for the day. I began dusting my office as usual to make sure it was clean, I made sure my books and papers were still organized, and I got my sign that said, 'Off Duty', to make sure ponies know I was gone for the day. Afterwards, I left my office to spend time at my favorite café, 'Warm Morning'. I entered the café and there Vanilla Cream was to greet me.

"Oh, welcome, Doctor Bitter...! I hope you're having a good morning!" She still as positive as ever. I took my seat to make my order.

"Hello, Vanilla Cream. I would like my usual today if you please." I had a couple of hours to spend before the show starts, so I wanted a pick-me-up before leaving. Vanilla Cream then had my order prepared both quickly and properly like always.

"You're usually at work at this time of the day. What's the occasion...?" I lowered my cup of coffee after taking a few sips to answer her question.

"I'm taking the day off to go and see the new production at the theatre today. It is called, 'The Trickster and the Thief'. It sounds interesting." I had my ticket with me in my pocket for later.

"Oh, I heard about that. I wanted to go, but I'm too busy with work right now." That is unfortunate.... Guess employees have it rough.

"Well, maybe next time. I'm sure they'll do an encore later on." The theatre usually does do an encore after a little while.

"Yeah, maybe next time...!" She then went back to work and I decided to read a few old articles that were present in the café. After a little while, it was already 1:50 pm and the show was about to start. I then got out of my seat, left the payment on the table for my order, and began making my way out of the café.

"Thank you for the coffee, Vanilla Cream. I'll see you next time." I made sure I still had my ticket with me for the show.

"Alright, good bye!" I then left after giving Vanilla Cream my goodbye. I made my way to the theatre and how fortunate for me that I made it 40 minutes before show time. I and many other ponies were excited to get to see this potentially good production. The theatre has been known for it's good productions. But then something strange happened.... The curtains then parted with a familiar face standing at the center of the stage. It was Discord and I was not happy to see him. He was dressed in a magician's outfit, possibly trying to do a magic show. There was confusion amongst myself and the audience until we then see him place with top hat on the ground in front of him, tapped it a few times with his magic wand, and then a frightening creature appeared from underneath hat. It was a very tall creature with the arms and face of a monkey, the horns of a bull, and the lower part was the four legs of a pony. None of us knew what to think of this unknown creature and then I felt like a large part of me was being taken away from me. My body felt like the world was crushing me, I thought I was turning into ice, and my eyesight became misty. Whatever this creature was doing to the audience and myself, I knew it was no good. And then...my world....became dark....