• Published 4th Sep 2016
  • 620 Views, 0 Comments

Story of Diane Pie: Strange Things - Middle Ground



Strange things have been going on in Equestria and no pony in Manehatten knows why.

  • ...
 0
 620

Chapter 5 - Meeting with Old Friends

Discord and I stopped at Apploosa and grabbed a bite to eat because I was really hungry. Discord paid for our meals and then we toured the town. I didn't get the chance to do so all that much last time I was here, so I felt this was a good chance. We visited the saloon, the rodeos, and the square dances. Discord couldn't join the square dances because he was too tall. I didn't dance either because I don't know how. Afterwards, we took a break after running around so much and just enjoyed the sight of the desert. We just sat on a bench on the outside of town without saying anything. I didn't know what to say to Discord, since I don't really know much about him. But what he said to me earlier does concern me.

"Discord, can I ask you something?" I don't know if he can answer my question, but I had to ask.

"Yes...?" Discord looked at me with his yellow eyes. I could tell they were old.

"Am I...real? I need to know." The question laid so heavy on my heart, I felt like my breathing was being suffocated. Discord just looked at me and then turned away with a huff.

"That is something you have to find out for yourself. I may be powerful and ancient, but I don't have all the answers. Besides, it isn't any of my business." I figured he was going to say something like that. Life is never that easy.... We then see a herd of buffalo running across the plains and then I hid behind Discord.

"Is there something wrong, Diane?" Discord turned his head in a 180 degree angle. I continued to hide from the buffalo.

"Um...I remember Pinkie Pie starting a war between those buffalo and the ponies here by singing. I don't want them to see me...." I don't they would like to see a pony who looks almost exactly like Pinkie Pie. Then a thought occurred and I then rushed off.

"Going somewhere, Diane? Something you want to see?" Discord slithered beside me as I ran.

"I'm meeting with some...family." I continued to run towards the house owned by Apple Jam. Surely she wouldn't mind me paying a visit. But before I knocked on her door, I turned to Discord.

"Discord, this pony I know is really nice and I don't want to cause her any trouble. So I want you to behave yourself. Alright?" I know Discord likes to drive ponies crazy with his fun and games.

"Alright, I will behave. I promise not to trouble her." A halo then appeared above his head. I still don't trust him.... I then knocked on the door and waited or an answer. The door then opened and I saw Cherry Jam.

"Oh, Diane...! It's been a while!" I'm glad Miss Jam remembers me. She seems to be doing well.

"Hello Jam...! It has been a while! It's so good to see you!" We hugged each other.

"AHEM! I believe you two are forgetting something." Discord just looked at us with a pouty face.

"Oh, who is your friend, Diane? Is he out of town?" She took a look at Discord and was surprised.

"His name is Discord. He's...a friend." I'm actually not sure if he is my friend or not.

"A pleasure to meet you, miss." He then conjured a bouquet of flowers and presented them to Miss Jam.

"Why thank you. They're lovely!" Just before she could smell them, the flowers then deflated like balloons. I knew Discord was going to do something like that....

"Just a little humor, miss." Discord chuckled as the balloon flowers disappeared. Miss Jam then chuckled.

"That was funny...! Please, come inside! You two must be tired from travelling all the way from Manehatten." We then entered inside and made ourselves at home. The place was as roomy as I remembered it and it was very quiet. Miss Jam served Discord and I some apple juice and some apple pie.

"So what might you two be doing here? Are you visiting?" We've been doing more than just visiting....

"I'm on a road trip and I invited Diane to join me! This is just stop number two! We won't be too long." More like Discord dragged me along for the ride....

"Really? You two must be having fun." I would tell Miss Jam that I nearly fell to my death a city in the sky, but I decided not to.

"By the way, how is Jubilee doing? Is she alright? And how have you been?" I then swallowed my tea to answer.

"Yes, she is. Miss Jubilee has been busy lately. I work at a bakery and I'm doing well. What about you?" We talked and talked for a little while and then we heard a ringing sound.

"Oh dear, look at the time. We must be on our way." Discord looked at a watch tied to his tail. He finished his tea cup and got out of his seat.

"We mustn't waste too much time, Diane. We still have much to do before night time." I do need to go back home before night time. I hope Miss Jubilee and everypony isn't worried about me.

"Alright, let's get going. Miss Jam, it was great seeing you again." I got out of my seat and stood by Discord.

"Well, if you two must. Be safe and don't be strangers. Come back any time." I nodded as I grabbed hold of Discord.

"Then it is time to leave. Good bye!" As he snapped, we then found ourselves in a big city. It was the city of Canterlot and it was as majestic as I remembered.

"This will be our last stop and afterwards, I will take you back home. Follow me." Discord then made his way towards a large building and I followed him. The inside was full of pretty objects that you would use as decorations for your house like old pottery, wind chimes, and even some old furniture. We walked up the stairs and eventually stopped at the top floor.

"Through that door, Diane. Somepony wants to see you." Discord pointed to what I assume was the balcony of the building. I walked through the door and then saw a cloaked figure looking at the city.

"Um...hello?" I wasn't sure who it was. Every part of this figure was covered in that large cloak and I became nervous. The figure turned and revealed herself.

"I am glad you're safe, Diane. I have been worried about you." It was Princess Luna and I felt so relieved.

"Princess Luna...!" I then hugged her out of joy. But then I realized I did something really dumb and jumped away from her.

"I am so sorry, Princess Luna...! I shouldn't have done that!" I lowered my head to pay respect. I hope I didn't make her angry.

"Calm yourself, Diane. I am not angry with you. I am very relieved to see you are safe. Please, sit down." She then presented a table with a tea pot, some tea cups, and pastries I assume were scones. I then sat down to join her.

"Well then, I will take my leave for now. Diane, I will be back in an hour. You two have fun now." Discord then disappeared and left me with Princess Luna. I'm glad I got the chance to speak with her.

"I am sorry to have been absent for some time, Diane. The duties I have just returned to have been keeping me quite busy. Protecting ponies from their nightmares and bringing night to the world is a task I must attend to." Princess Luna poured us a cup of tea and presented a scone for each of us.

"Oh no, it's alright! I'm just glad I can talk with you! I wanted to tell you that I'm doing alright!" I'm also glad she hasn't forgotten me.

"Please, tell me how you have been." I then began telling Princess Luna all that has happened to me since we last spoke. I told her that I have been busy at my job in the bakery/café, all the ponies I have met, about Day, Charm, Tough Love, and Bitter Sweet, and how I got my Cutie Mark. She is one of the few ponies I could actually talk to without worrying about whether I was real or not. We talked about stuff for nearly an hour and I had fun.

"It seems my worries were not needed. Knowing you are doing well fills me with relief. Though, I do have a reason for having you brought to me." I noticed the change of her tone of voice. It must be something serious and I listened carefully.

"I am aware of what you truly are, Diane, and that is troubling me. Especially since there are two of the same ponies in Equestria." I was confused. I understand what she meant, but not why she brought it up.

"Diane, you and Pinkie Pie are two sides of the same bit. And if something were to happen to one of you, what do you think would happen to the other?" After thinking it over, I then realized what she meant, and it gave me chills.

"If one of us were to get hurt....or worse, then the other would feel it too?" Thinking about that filled me with dread.

"This is only a theory, but I cannot take the risk. Diane, it is in your best interest to be very careful from now on. Do not forget that." I nodded, taking Princess Luna's warning to heart. Then Discord appeared from the spout of the tea cup.

"Well then ladies, I think it is time for Diane and I to go now. I spoke with Celestia and I hope you two are done too." I nodded as I finished my cup of tea and joined him.

"Thank you for this chance to speak with her, Discord. I owe you my gratitude." Princess Luna then spreads her wings as she prepared to take flight.

"Of course, Luna. Anything for a friend." Discord then snapped his talons and then we found ourselves back in Manehatten. I then noticed that the sun was starting to set. I guess it was time for Princess Luna to begin her nightly duties.

"Well, this has been fun. Thank you for your company, Diane. We should do this again soon. I'm sure you can find your way back home by yourself." Discord bent his entire body into different shapes and twisted it, stretching his muscles and popping his bones.

"Um...yes. Thank you, Discord." I was actually pretty tired myself after today.

"Well then, until next time. Ta-tah!" Discord snapped his talons again and then disappeared. Before I began making my way back home, I remembered Princess Luna's warning. Pinkie Pie, please be careful.... For both our sakes.