• Published 11th Aug 2016
  • 7,111 Views, 121 Comments

Tell Me Baby - Gpizano



With the Anon-A-Miss incident out of control, Sunset Shimmer finds strangers better company than those she thought to be her friends.

  • ...
10
 121
 7,111

Are You Lonely

Ugh, it was going to be time to wake up for school, wasn't it? Scootaloo was not looking forward to getting out of bed, she felt way too comfortable right now. Her mom would probably be up to head out for work though, maybe she'd leave some breakfast in the microwave. Maybe some waffles made in the toaster... with scrambled eggs... and bacon so she had something to dip her maple syrup in.

... wait... this didn't feel right. Hadn't she... already gotten up and went to school today? And that didn't sound like her mom...

As the young teen was slowly brought back to consciousness, the memories started to return... fighting with Applebloom... the cafeteria and Dumbbell attacking her... someone protecting her...

Her eyelids felt like they weighed a ton, fighting against her as she willed them to open. Everything was a blur at first until her eyes focused on someone familiar hovering over her. Right, Nurse Redheart. That meant she was in the in the school infirmary.

"Scootaloo, how do you feel? Do you know who I am? Do you know what day it is?"

As she asked the questions, Nurse Redheart moved over to her desk, returning with a small flashlight and shined it in Scootaloo's eyes while keeping the girl's eyes open.

"Uh... groggy... you're Nurse Redheart. And today is Friday."

Once the woman was done, she shut off the flashlight and gave a small nod.

"Alright. And do you remember the cafeteria? You hit pretty hard a couple of times."

Oh yeah, she definitely remembered that. Scootaloo gave a nod but winced as a dull throb made it's presence known. It felt like the entire Wondercolt soccer team was practicing drills in her head. Hopefully it didn't look as bad as it felt.

"Your friends are waiting outside my office. Would you like to see them?"

"Yeah... I'd like that."

With a nod, Nurse Redheart headed to the door and opened it, allowing Sweetie Belle to rush in as Applebloom slowly followed after her. The nurse closed the curtain around her bed, probably to give them privacy as Sweetie Belle began to fret over her.

"Oh my gosh, Scootaloo I thought you died and oh my gosh your face!"

The other was speaking so fast it was starting to make Scootaloo's head hurt! Luckily, Applebloom placed a hand on the frantic girl's shoulder and managed to stop her from continuing.

"C'mon now, she's prob'bly not up fer' all that. Jes calm down."

This earned a grateful smile from Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle stopped and took a deep breath before nodding. All three were silent afterwards though, unsure of what to say next until Applebloom sat down on the edge of the bed.

"... that was dang foolish ya' know. Ah wanted ya' to come through but seein' them swarm all over ya'..."

"Yeah... but you were dying out there. And it kinda feels nice to come clean, even if I feel a little concussed."

That earned a small, half-hearted chuckle from all three of the girls before silence reigned once more. It felt like they should say something, anything, but nothing seemed to come to mind, all they could think about was everything that happened, how everything had changed, what the future would hold for them...

"... we really messed up."

Both Applebloom and Scootaloo nodded in agreement with what Sweetie Belle had said, the pinke and purple haired girl starting to tear up slightly.

"Ah thought what Ah started would jes' be harmless. But Ah kept goin' ta' get what Ah wanted..."

"Hey, we're all to blame for our own reasons Bloom. We didn't handle ourselves right and it came back to bite us, we can't do anything about that now."

Applebloom hid her face in her hands, seeing all the angry faces of her fellow CHS students, haunted most of all by how angry and disappointed her sister had been. Then she took a deep breath and squared her shoulders, looking over at Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle.

"We gotta' make this right. Ah dunno how we can make it up to CHS... but we gotta' help somehow findin' Sunset Shimmer. We can at least do that ta' start makin' it up to our sisters."

"Yeah... might have to wait though. I'm sure we're gonna have to face punishment for what we did."


It was a little after noon and already Sunset Shimmer was ready to punch something! Or rather a certain someone walking next to her that had been following her since this morning. She had thought that she would be left alone to explore on her own, maybe find a new place to stay (probably some run down, abandoned place to start, there was plenty nearby), and look for a job. The guitarist had been quiet at first but started becoming more vocal when she started checking out abandoned buildings, pointing out how dangerous it was since she had a high chance of running into drug users, alcoholics, and rats. While that had definitely soured Sunset Shimmer to the idea of becoming a squatter, she started feeling annoyed when Jackie kept trying to start a conversation. The red head finally reached a breaking point between Jackie's attempts and the gnawing hunger at her stomach reminding her she hadn't had lunch yet.

"You know what I like to do when people are ignoring me? I like to talk. REALLY. LOUDLY. CAUSE IF I'M TALKING TO MYSELF THEN I CAN BE AS LOUD AS I WANT SO I CAN MAKE SURE I HEAR MYSELF-"

"JACKIE! SHUT. THE FUCK. UP!"

"Hey, she can hear."

Red-faced, Sunset was about ready to snap when she saw the grin on Jackie's face, but was interrupted by a very loud growl coming from her stomach. The shade of red dimmed to something lighter, the girl looking away in embarrassment as Jackie's grin grew.

"Hungry? Well since I'm assuming you don't really have any money to eat out, I'll buy you lunch."

"Yeah, no thanks, I'll be fine."

This made the blue haired woman scowl and cross her arms, raising a brow as Sunset crossed her arms as well and stared back. The intense stand off lasted for all of two seconds before Jackie sighed and began walking away, Sunset not seeing the sly smile that came to her face.

"Too bad, I was going to go to my favorite place to eat. It's a little taco shop just down the way and man, you have not lived until you have tried their street tacos. Yeah you wouldn't go for the carne asada meat, but I know they make a potato street taco. Most people like to cut the potatoes into cubes but they do it in long strips so nothing spills out, crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside and they flavor it with these spices man. Then they put bell peppers on top and man! They taste sweet but they also have a little spice and heat to them, it's like, perfect because you get the flavor without burning your mouth. Ugh, and the queso fresco cheese? That is the freshest man, not to mention the delicious corn tortillas they make fresh in the back..."

"... damn you."

Hearing the delicious details made Sunset Shimmer's mouth water and her stomach grumble so loudly it was like a hungry dog had taken up residence in it. Defeated by her own body's need for sustenance, she hung her head and followed Jackie, the guitarist grinning in triumph as she lead the way a couple of blocks over. What they saw was something new for Sunset Shimmer, a little strange and yet intriguing at the same time. The whole building was small, sitting in between two tall buildings and looking only big enough for the kitchen itself. The customers were outside, either standing around, sitting, or ordering their food at the small, sliding window, apparently not letting the winter cold bother them as they enjoyed their meals.

Jackie sauntered up to the window after the person ahead of them finished and banged on the side.

"Ey Tino! I'm starving so tell those lazy good for nothings in the back that it's Jackie and she wants her order fast!"

"Psshhhh, just cuz' you lead guitar and you been coming here forever, you think you can order us around Jacks? You get your food when I'm damn well ready to give it to you!"

This exchanged was followed by laughter from the two and Jackie soon let Sunset in on just what was going on when they finished.

"Sunset Shimmer, this is Tino Chayote, he's the bass player for my band and cashier at Papa Chayote's, the best place in the city to get a taco and various other delicious food. Oh yeah and he's been my friend since we were little."

Now that she was close enough, she could make out that Tino seemed to have cream tinted skin, mustard yellow hair that was short and spiked, and lime green eyes. He looked to be wearing a dark t-shirt over a light, long sleeved shirt, a black apron. He seemed nice enough and she returned the smile given to her as she reached out to shake his hand.

"Nice to meet you. Any friend of Jackie's is a friend of mine man."

There was that word again, it made Sunset Shimmer's stomach twist into knots as she thought about it. But before she could protest, Jackie placed an arm around Sunset Shimmer's shoulders.

"Totally, so you you know the deal with how it goes."

"Right, right, you don't gotta' worry about it. Anyways, what can I get you guys?"

Once they have given their orders and had been given their drinks (Sunset had gotten horchata but she was intrigued by the hot served horchata Jackie had gotten), Jackie managed to snag a table that just opened up and Sunset Shimmer took a seat across from her.

"So what's this deal you mentioned with Tino?"

"What, that? Basically, you're my friend, so Tino's gonna look out for you, and so are his friends and so on. This way, if you ever get in trouble then you got a great chance of someone looking out for you and word can get back to me and I can help. You know, it's like a network thing. It's important to look out for your own and each other. You know?"

Instead of immediately responding, Sunset Shimmer mulled over Jackie's words as she took a sip of hot chocolate. While that sounded ideal, she still had her doubts about it.

"How can you be so sure someone will have your back like that? That's a lot of trust."

"Dude, unless a friend screws you over, you don't screw over a friend and you always look out for each other. We take that shit seriously out here on the west coast."

"Yeah, right, that's what you say..."

The way Sunset Shimmer just seemed to blow her off really agitated Jackie, to the point that the woman was full on glaring at her.

"Seriously, what the hell Sunshine? You've been acting off so what's up with you?"

Returning the glare, Sunset Shimmer then looked away and continued sipping on her hot chocolate. She took some small satisfaction in seeing this make Jackie even more agitated, a little payback for earlier when the guitar player had been trying to get her to talk.

"I mean, come on. I can let it slide you locking me out of my own room for the night but you try and go out on your own and you try and ignore me today. I mean you hear people say 'the honeymoon' is over but what is up with you?"

"Well excuse me for wanting some privacy. Geez, we spent two days in a car together, why do you care if I go off on my own?"

"Uh, in a city you've never been to, walking around a sketchy neighborhood, I don't have your cell number and you don't have a key to my apartment yet? Of course I'm going to care, what sane human being wouldn't care?"

"Because you're a god damn stranger alright!? It's my friends who should care this much but even they stabbed me in the back!"

Not having realize that she stood up and she had near shouted her words, Sunset Shimmer became very aware that all the eyes in the lot and from the small food shop were staring at her. She couldn't bring herself to look up at Jackie, instead staring hard at the table as her vision started to blur slightly. It wasn't until she noticed Jackie move that she looked up, seeing that the other had gotten up from her seat and was starting to shout at people.

"What're you all looking at, huh?! We're rehearsing a play so mind your own damn business!"

After she had made the others look away, Jackie came back to Sunset Shimmer and pushed her cup of hot horchata over just as Tino called their order.

"Drink that, s'better than hot chocolate."

Watching Jackie walk away, Sunset Shimmer hesitated before taking a sip as instructed... milk and cinnamon? Kind of? It seemed like it would taste just as good cold. The red head found herself taking more sips before Jackie returned, the blue haired woman having their food and another drink in hand. She'd set the containers down before retaking her seat, seeming deep in thought while Sunset eyed her warily.

"... okay, I don't know shit about psychology... but I'd say that's what they'd call a slip right?"

Sunset Shimmer could only nod, not reaching for her food just yet as she continued to watch the other.

"Okay... so I'm trying to figure this out and I think I got something. This all is going back to your friends. They were supposed to look out for you with that Anon-A-Miss thing but they bailed. So you think me and my friends are gonna do that?"

Another nod.

"Well I ain't gonna do that Sunshine. I do not bail unless I know that it is the one hundred percent factual truth that you fucked me over. And even then you'd have to do something pretty damn bad for me to want to never have anything to do with you again, alright?"

"... but how can I trust that you'll do that?"

A soft sigh came from Jackie, the guitarist staring off at some spot behind Sunset Shimmer for awhile as she tapped the edge of her drink against the table.

"I guess you can't until it's time I prove it. I can get you're sketchy after everything that happened in Canterlot, you got hurt bad, I saw that after I chased off that one chick beating on you. Look, if you're not comfortable being friends that's fine. But just take the damn help I'm offering until you get on your feet, then you can go ahead and do whatever, okay? We don't have to share anymore or nothin', but I'd like it if you didn't shut me out, alright?"

There wasn't a nod this time but instead total silence as Sunset Shimmer stared down at her lap, contemplating everything that Jackie had said. The other seemed sincere, but so had her friends. It had hurt so much when they turned on her and she didn't think she could go through that again. If she kept getting comfortable around Jackie they might just really become friends and she'd leave herself vulnerable again. Sunset glanced up for a moment to see Jackie waiting patiently for her to reply, silver eyes betraying the concern and anxiety she felt.

As her own nerves worked up at the possibility of being hurt again, Sunset Shimmer finally raised her head.

"... okay."

"Okay... now dig in, all this drama worked up my appetite."

Smiling to show she was just joking around, Jackie opened up her contained and was quickly taking a bit bite out of her carne asada taco. The red head was slower opening her own but picked up the pace when the wonderful, delicious smells wafted out to greet her. Tino even joined them, claiming to be on a break as he gulped down a large soda and began joking around with Jackie. Sunset Shimmer was content to watch them, joining in only when prompted and couldn't help but find herself smiling softly at the playful banter.

The tacos really were the best...

Author's Note:

So yeah, Sunset Shimmer has PTSD and we've met the second member of Jackie's crew!

There's going to be two more OCs to meet and MOAR DRAMA AT CANTERLOT!

Next time on the Equestria Girls variety hour! Or whatever because I couldn't think of anything better to sign out on for this chapter! :rainbowwild: