• Published 24th Oct 2012
  • 1,647 Views, 23 Comments

One Last Trixie Up My Sleeve - Piquo Pie



Maybe Trixie has learned to be a better pony, maybe she just needs a friend, maybe she can still be Trixie in the end.

  • ...
3
 23
 1,647

Chapter 2: Back to Sleep

The Great and Powerful Trixie woke that Sunday morn, not of her own volition.

Muggy. Why is it muggy? And why does it smell like a rock quarry?

"I see you’re up, finally," a young voice said from several hooves away.

Belligerence. Trixie hates belligerence.

"Please. You can't fool me. I've had to wake Twilight up so often that you would never be able to fool me."

I especially hate belligerence directed at me.

"Come on, I have chores to do."

And I really, really, hate waking up to belligerence directed at me. And I think my hoof is asleep.

Show Time!

"What do you think you’re doing, waking... Trixie!"

The voice harrumphed. "I am doing ‘work’. You know, that thing that productive ponies do."

Trixie kept her head still as she opened one eye and peered over the room, setting her sight on the owner of the voice. The first thing Trixie noted was that in the daylight, the library looked less foreboding, and actually quite homey. The next thing Trixie noticed was the purple reptilian face at Trixie's eye level, scowling at Trixie with a look that would, in the future, quell the mightiest cities. Trixie found the look to be like that of a slightly adorable foal. Of course the pink apron he wore only added to the image.

Trixie continued to lounge with one foreleg raised comfortably onto the armrest above Trixie's head. The other Foreleg hung limply at Trixie's side, off the couch, and fully asleep.

"You must be Spike."

"Yeah, what's it to ya?"

"Twilight spoke very highly of you last night. You make her very proud."

The small dragon pulled back, slightly, in surprise. His eyes softened.

Still adorable.

He brought his claws together and tapped in a nervous gesture. "She said she was, proud of me?"

I still got it. This is too easy. Telling the truth helped too.

Trixie lowered her eyebrow as she turned her head. "She didn't have to. It was obvious."

Spike slowed his tapping, but the fight had obviously been stunned out of him.

"You really think so?"

This is too easy. I might as well go for the knock out.

"Of course. Why do you ask? Has she given you any reason to doubt her pride in you or the love she shares?"


The little dragon's eyes dilated, and the tapping stopped. "L... love?"

"Familial not romantic." Did that really need to be explained?

Spike relaxed. "Oh. No, well." He let out an exhausted sigh and sat down with his back against Trixie's couch.


The Great and Powerful Trixie took the opportunity to roll her eyes. Damn your soft heart, Trixie. You have a image you need to uphold.

"I know she loves me like a brother, and I love her too. And I know she is proud of me. I mean I am her number one assistant."

There's more than one... Oh right the owl.

Spike continued. "But sometimes I feel like I am just her butler or something. I mean she helped raise me since I could walk. But it always seems like she expects me to be doing chores or something. Sometimes I just want it to be us doing something we like to do, like old times, ya know?"

Trixie did not, but that hardly mattered to her wisdom.

"How old are you, spike, in dragon terms?"

Spike turned around, staring blankly.

Trixie held in another sigh. "Would you be considered a baby, a toddler, child, etcetera, etcetera." Trixie found herself absently waiving her sleepy hoof in tiny dismissive circles, and realized she didn't care.

"Oh," said spike sitting up straighter as he turned back around to sit against the couch and think. "I, don't honestly know. Twilight thinks I am still technically a baby. But when I went on the dragon migration..."

Trixie sat up a little, or at least lay flatter, as her eyebrow arched in interest.

"... I made friends with these other Dragons that I guess would have been teenagers. But they ended up being real jerks. Now that I think about it, I don't think dragons look at it like ponies do."

Interesting mused the crafty illusionist. "Go on."

"I think Dragons see eggs, dragons smaller than themselves, dragons the same size or strength, and dragons
larger than themselves."

Not exactly an epiphany.

"In pony terms then, how developed are you then?"

Spike scratched his chin while he thought. Then he slumped a bit.

"I guess I would say I'm still a kid. But mature for a kid," he added, turning around in challenge before turning forward again.

"I'm probably more grown up than most of the colts and fillies around, but I still tend to overreact and act before thinking."

"I would agree with your assessment," Stated Trixie who smiled inwardly.

Spike looked back at her warily, unsure where this was going.

"You’re probably a child in dragon terms, but you seem quite mature for your age if compared to a pony."

Spike smiled a bit and nodded in acceptance of the complement.

Swish.

Spike looked back around as Trixie continued. "But when you were younger, Twilight was still just a silly little filly. To her, you probably did seem like a brother. But here you are, still a child, and she is pretty much a full-grown mare. She has a lot more responsibilities, and it probably dawned on her that you were a responsibility. So she probably began to treat you like a you were her kid."

Trixie let Spike contemplate Trixie's words deeply before she continued. "Tell me, how was our bookish Twilight’s relationships with her parents?"

Spike sighed, seeing where this was going. "She mostly did things by herself. She loved books and has always been very self motivated. They sometimes took her out with them, but she always seemed to turn it into a field trip somehow. And they pulled her away to make sure she did her chores."

"It seems you are wise enough to see where The Great and Powerful Trixie is going with this."

"Yeah, I do," sighed the slightly downtrodden dragon as he got up.

"Look, I have some other chores I can do. I'm sorry for waking you. I'll leave you to your nap if you want. I'll get you when lunch is ready."

Success.

Spike turned partially around to look at Trixie. "Would you mind not telling anyone about this? I kinda got a image I wanna uphold."

"We both do." Trixie winked. "Just remember, she does love you and is generally proud of you, Spike."

"Yeah, thanks."

As Spike walked off, Trixie smiled herself to sleep.

Played nice with Ms. Apprentice's assistant, check.

Helped potentially problematic dragon grow close to Twilight, check.

Several hours of extra, much-needed rest, check and priceless.

Trixie, filly, you've still got it.