• Published 10th Aug 2016
  • 677 Views, 17 Comments

Little Mac and Cannotfly - Akataja



Day by day she tries to be a worthy daughter and now, soon after her sixteenth birthday, it was time to face the truth.

  • ...
20
 17
 677

Chapter six: the things we remember

Author's Note:

So it took a while, but here is chapter six :)
I hope I am getting better with grammar and stuff. So have fun with this chapter.

When McIntosh put the yellow Pegasus with the Butterfly-Cutie-Mark on the soft sofa the other apples and Doc. Hooves gathered around her, looking at her like she was the first Pegasus they ever saw. It was the first time for AppleJack meeting Fluttershy, a weak little yellow mare, not strong enough to buck an apple tree or do any other jobs on the farm. But she had something that attracted AppleJack, she reminded her of somepony, but she couldn’t put her hoof on it.

Fluttershy wasn’t feeling well, the whole day was a big mess, starting with her escape from her father and ending in the wet dirt while a storm runs over her. Was she crying? She thought she was, but the cold rain made it hard to notice tears on her fur. Why was she crying? Maybe for herself? No, she didn’t think so; it was for little Angelbunny, the white little thing just lost its mother and Fluttershy wasn’t able to help, she wasn’t even able to prove the worth of her cutie mark, the perfect ending for her. But the end wasn’t coming, there was a big red stallion, maybe even a bit taller than her dad, he seemed older than her, but was still a blank flank and he was very calm. She should be in fear, but there were so many feelings inside of her, she wasn’t sure what to feel right then. But he was there and for some reason he wanted to help her, he took the little bunny from her, very gentle and calm, with a lot of caution. Until that moment, Fluttershy was sure about the fact, that such a big strong stallion couldn’t be so gentle. Her dad was always hard and cold, but this red big one wasn’t like her dad. It was amazingly comfortable on his back; her body finally stopped shaking and could relax. He brought her inside a building with more ponies, maybe his family? They seemed very nice, but some kind of worried, why? Were they worried because of her? Did she earn their sympathy? She wanted to turn away, but her head didn’t move, her whole body denied her control. She saw the fire in the fireplace, but it was still cold. It was hard work just to keep her eyes open and the voices around her sounded really far away

So this is how it ends? At least it didn’t hurt. I am so sorry Angelbunny. Angelbunny?

She was looking for the little rabbit, but the red stallion already put it next to her on the sofa, with a slice of an apple and a bit lettuce.

You're looking happy Angelbunny, please keep it that way. Her vision slowly became all blurry.

“Her feva’ is raisn’ boy.” That was the voice of the elder green mare “She needs a doctor!”

“What? But look at her!? We can’t move her!” That was the young mare, she was definitely younger, but she seemed kind of stronger and more sapient “And the storm is too strong!”

The mood was down, the pony in the room knew what would happen and Fluttershy knew it too.

I have to die…

“I'll get the doctor.” This was the deep dark voice of the red stallion.

“Hey! McIntosh Apple! Stop that immediately!?” shouted the young mare, “the storm is way too heavy!” she looked back at Fluttershy, it was that moment she realized, that her words were like a death sentence to this unknown Pegasus. “Eh, I mean, we have to wait till the storm ends.”

“Nope!” Lil Mac knew this situation and he knew there wasn’t enough time. But why did he know that? This was not the first time, he remembered again. His father did the same thing! And he wanted to stop him like AJ tried to stop Mac now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

McIntosh remembered:

Without saying any more words Red Delicious took the old yoke from Golden Delicious and walked to the door. His whole appearance made it clear, he wanted to do it, he wanted to take the old carriage and get a doctor for his wife and unborn child, but he couldn’t get through the door, because of lil’Mac. It was the first time Red noticed that his son has grown taller than himself and it was the first time he could hear an adult voice out of his son’s mouth.

Lil’Mac sounded really clear when he said “Nope.” He doesn’t want to lose a single part of his family; it was the most precious thing in his life and he didn’t even know if he could live without that.

“I know what you are thinking right now son.” Said Red in his usual calm voice, shifting the grass stem in his mouth from one ankle to the other. And Mac believed him, because his dad knew him better than any pony else, the stone like emotions in Mac’s face were always like an open book for him. “And you are right! Your family is the most important thing and you have to do anything to protect them, that’s the one thing you have to do, to call yourself a real stallion.” He gave his son one of his rare smiles “you don’t let me go because you want to protect me because I am part of your family. I am so proud of you. I always was and always will be.” This words made McIntosh inattentive, so he didn’t see the hoof of his old man coming. It hit his stomach like a rock and the big red stallion with freckles and an orange mane went down like a sack of potatoes. When his dad walked past him he could hear his last words “I have to protect my own family right now son. I hope you will understand it someday and forgive me.”

But he never did, he never could forgive his dad for leaving him and never returning. Lil’Mac was angry at his father and he tried to let out all his anger through his work, through his burning muscles. He didn't want to cry or to talk because he loved his father and couldn’t say that he hated him. Because of that, he lost a tear when AJ blocked the door like he did back then.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Why do you want to do that!? You don’t even know this mare! Are you insane!?” AJ had tears in her eyes too. AJ didn’t want to lose her brother, even when that means another pony had to die. Mac just shook his head, he had to do this, it was important. He took his yoke, but the moment he lifted it from the table he recognized the heavy damage. It was impossible to pull a carriage with this yoke. “Y-you see?” asked AJ, “we have to wait.” Mac saw the problem, what should he do?

“Yah' will need this boy.” The voice of Granny Smith pushed McIntosh out of his thoughts, she was holding the Yoke of Golden Delicious.

“Hey Granny!? Are you crazy too!?” AJ didn’t understand what was going on, wasn’t Granny Smith also worried?

Mac just looked at it, he remembered this yoke. He once tried to wear it, but it was way too big and heavy. But that was the past, he was not a colt anymore, he could carry this yoke now. When he looked at it, he remembered Major Mare bringing it back, his father was the last stallion using it.

“Lissn’ kid, yah’grea’ gran’ pop used this yoke to buil’ up this farm.” Granny put the yoke around his neck, “Ah’ know why ya’ have to do this.” She smiled at him; he had so many similarities with Golden Delicious at this moment. Apple Jack stepped aside when Granny told her to and McIntosh left the building.

The storm was even heavier, water and wind whipped his flank and his face, but it didn't hurt, it was the opposite, it made him feel good because his father had to feel the same in that night. With every step he took, he understood more of his father’s last action. Red Delicious tried anything to save his wife and his unborn daughter, he left them because he wasn’t able to lose a single one of them and the only reason he found the courage to do so, was because he trusted Big McIntosh to take care of the family instead of him. And now was the time to prove he was right. The yellow pegasus-mare on the sofa was here to remember Mac, remember him to show the will and the strength of the Apple family to the world.