• Published 10th Aug 2016
  • 677 Views, 17 Comments

Little Mac and Cannotfly - Akataja



Day by day she tries to be a worthy daughter and now, soon after her sixteenth birthday, it was time to face the truth.

  • ...
20
 17
 677

Chapter three: the course of nature

Everything was dark around Fluttershy, dark, silent and cold; she always imagined the bottom of the ocean like that.

But I never saw the ocean, and it seems like I never will…

But according to the books from Cloudsdale she had read, there had to be an enormous pressure, but she didn’t feel any weight. It was the exact opposite, she felt light as a feather. Her whole body was light, no pain and no shame.

Could it be? Am I dead?

That had to be it, she is dead, she didn’t survive the fall from Cloudsdale.

My wings were always so weak, maybe Father was right? At least I can apologize to mother now…

What would happen next? Was there a white light? Did she hear any voices from her past? Nothing of that, just darkness, silence, and cold. It seemed that time had no longer any meaning. Was it seconds? Minutes? Days? After a while, she could hear something, a new sound in her life, but she had a place deep down in her heart for this sound. It was the noise of a little critter, it seemed to be in pain and fear.

Like me, but why bother with that? Can’t I just lay here and forget everything, and be forgotten? I think that would be for the best. I’m so lousy, I can’t do anything right. I’m a disappointment to my dad, and, without me, my mother would still be alive. Nopony needs me, so why bother to wake up?

But the sound didn’t disappear and she couldn’t ignore it. Some little animal was alone like she was and it needed help and she was the only one there. She raised her head slowly and the first thing she noticed was the rain. Little cold drops of water that came down, wetting her coat and her mane. The cold was still there, she had to tremble, and it was still dark. She could only see shadows, her vision was a little blurry. As she tried to move her wing a sharp deep pain goes through her whole body, she closed her eyes and pushed a little tear aside. Maybe her wing was broken?
She never had a broken wing, but she could imagine that pain was like the pain of a broken wing. So it was still cold and dark, but now she had this horrible pain too. But at least there was something new, sound. She could hear the rain dripping on foliage over her head, she could hear a bird flying to his nest and she still could hear that other sound. She followed that squeaky little sound. Every step hurt like thousand needles in her legs and her body seemed to weigh at least ten tons, but she walked on. She found her target under a big old Oak, the first thing she saw was all the blood, it was like a nightmare. She saw a little burrow, all messed up, seemed like someone dig it out, she saw the traces of wild animals, traces of claws and teeth.

So nature is cruel like the rest of the world?

She lowered her head and looked inside the burrow, all that blood, the smell nearly made her vomit, but she had to follow that sound. It was too dark to see something, what should she do? That was the moment of the first lightning, it hit the oak and a burning branch fell down. Fluttershy shrieked loudly, but now she could see something, she saw inside the burrow and found two rabbits. One of them, the elder, was wounded. At her side was a very small bunny, very tiny, its white fur was all red from the blood of the other one. Fluttershy saw how desperate the small one tried to help the other, but the big rabbit was nearly dead. It was like a vision for Fluttershy, she knew what happened, these rabbits were prey for some predators, the whole family died to feed these animals and just the mom and her newborn survived.

Nature is really cruel.

Fluttershy did not care for her injuries anymore or for her father, anything she could think of where the poor little critters. It was nature's work, something like that happened every day, but she had to help them anyway. Or at least help the small one, the dying mother looked straight into Fluttershy's eyes, it was like she could see inside her, and Fluttershy could look inside that bunny. When she shoved her last remaining child to the winged pony she was aware of something important. The little bunny was too shocked to move, so it was no problem for Fluttershy taking it up with her healthy wing.

“Have no fear” Fluttershy whispered, “I will take good care of him, I promise.”

And then the Mother was no more. Fluttershy had some tears in her eyes, but they were washed away by the rain. She felt the shivering of the little bunny under her wing, she understood his feelings. He lost everything like she did, but he was a weak little bunny, just an easy prey for predators, he needed protection like Fluttershy did. But there was an important difference, nopony was there to protect Fluttershy, but the little bunny had somepony.

“I'll protect you" Fluttershy remembered a word she read in her mother’s diary "Little angel.”

The first thunder struck down, Fluttershy was scared to death, but she had to be strong now, at least till the little bunny was safe. But what was she to do? The little bunny was safe and sound under her wing, dry and warm, but it was so weak, it needed something to eat. Fluttershy saw her new target in the light of the next lightning strike. A very big orchard full of apple trees. Her body was already at the limit, weakened by this wounds, but the yellow mare had to gather enough strength to reach this orchard.

These are a lot, nopony would care if I take a few. I can pay them later, right?

Author's Note:

I'm on a row today, the third chapter is done.
I had no problem working on this one because my original idea was to put this in the first chapter.

I hope the next chapter will be the start of the whole fluttermac thing I had in mind from the start.

Also much thanks to xray13245 for grammar and spelling check.