• Published 14th Dec 2016
  • 689 Views, 10 Comments

Shady Days and Burning Ways - Mlp Kitty



Everyone has someone they’ve left behind, and in Sunset Shimmer's case it’s her little sister, Shady. What Sunset doesn’t know is that Shady blames her own mistakes for Sunset’s disappearance. In her quest to reunite her family, Shady just mi

  • ...
1
 10
 689

Sisters and Sunburst

Author's Note:

Thanks to totallynotabrony for the amazing cover art!:twilightsmile:

Chapter One

Shady wasn't extraordinary, not in the least bit. In fact, compared to her siblings she was dull. She had a golden hued coat, dark turquoise eyes, and a maroon mane. The only thing interesting about her was the fact that, unlike other ponies, she was born with her cutie mark. It was a simple arrow, facing forward. At first Shady's classmates had envied her, but after a while they simply ignored her. There was only one pony that Shady smiled at, her big sister Sunset.

Shady awoke to the sound of bird song outside her window. She groggily turned to look at her clock. Suddenly she bolted out of bed, “Today's the day!”

She tiptoed down the stairs until she had reached the main room of the house. Checking to make sure her mother wasn't looking, she climbed on top of the table. From her newfound perch, she could see Sunset hiding behind the large blue couch that they had dubbed as the official sister's' secret spot. She clambered down to join her.

“Target approaching,” Sunset whispered. She turned to Shady, levitating a rope in her magical aura. “You pull it this time!”

Shady hesitated, Sunset was amazing when it came to magic but Shady could barely levitate a piece of paper, let alone a rope. “You should do it,” Shady said, using her hoof to push the rope back towards Sunset.

Sunset frowned, she knew all about Shady’s “magical disability”.

“Come on Shady! If you never try, you’ll never improve!”

“And if I never try I’ll never fail!”

Sunset gazed sadly at her sister before turning toward their victim. “Tell me when.”

Shady peered over the couch, “Soon, soon, NOW!”

At Shady’s signal Sunset yanked the rope, sending ice cold water pouring over a very angry Sunburst.

“What in Celestia’s name is wrong with you two? Can’t you go one day without pranking me?” But his exclamations went unheard by the two fillies convulsing in laughter.

“Girls!” Shouted their Mother, Sunny Daze. “I’m appalled that you’d something like this on the day Sunburst leaves us to go to school!”

Sunset looked at Shady and winked. In unison they turned to their mother and said, “But that’s what makes it so fun!”

“Alright you two troublemakers no dessert for you!” Their father, Daylight Gleam said as he tickled them.

“But Dad!” Shady moaned.

“No buts!”

Just then there was a knock on the door. Outside stood a pair of royal guards.

“We’re here to escort Sunburst to Celestia’s School for gifted unicorns.”

“Thank goodness!” Sunburst sighed as he levitated his suitcase over. “If I stay here much longer my sisters will murder me!”

Shady giggled at the comment, but as Sunburst approached the door, the world became hazy and gold hued. Suddenly, instead of Sunburst standing at the door it was Celestia!

“I’m proud to accept Sunset Shimmer as my personal pupil!” She said to a very excited Sunset, and a very surprised set of parents. As Shady tried to make sense of what she was seeing, the haze faded along with the vision of the princess.

“Sunset!” Shady whispered. “Did you see her?”

Sunset turned to Shady, puzzled. “See who?”
Two Years Later…

“I’m proud to accept Sunset Shimmer as my personal pupil!” Celestia said to a very excited Sunset and a very surprised set of parents. From her position on the couch, Shady watched silently. She had seen this moment over twenty times, but this time there was no haze, no golden light, and no odd stares from everypony else.

Maybe the princess might understand me, she’s wise. Or she might be just like everypony else, confused and scared by something they can’t understand. Oh what the hay, might as well ask. “Princess?” Shady asked as she moved cautiously towards the radiant alicorn.

Celestia smiled down at her, as warm and as comforting as the sun. “Yes, my little pony?”

“You know a lot about magic right?”

Celestia chuckled, “I suppose I do, why?”

“This is the twenty-first time I’ve seen you accept Sunny as your pupil, but it’s different this time.”

Celestia narrowed her eyes, “What different about the other times?”

Shady cowered a bit underneath the scrutinising gaze. “Well, the other times everything looked gold. And you’d disappear, after saying that Sunny would be your pupil.”
Celestia muttered something under her breath before asking Shady, “May I see your cutie mark?”

“Sure,” Shady said, confused, as she turned to the side letting the Princess see her cutie mark. Celestia peered closely at it, as if it held the secrets of the universe.

She turned to Shady’s parents. “When did her cutie mark appear?”

“Well Princess…” Daylight Gleam started.

“She was born with it.” Sunny Daze finished matter of factly.

Celestia’s normally serene expression was marred by her furrowed brow. “A cutie mark before she discovers her talent, a golden haze, seeing something only to watch it disappear… I believe I know what’s going on here.”

“What?” Shady said leaning forward eagerly to hear better.

“Shady I believe you have the talent of foresight.” Celestia said smiling once again.

Shady looked to Sunset then back at Celestia. “What does foresight mean?”

Celestia laughed, “It means you, my little pony, can see the future.”

“I can?!” Shady exclaimed at the same time as Sunset said,

“She can?”

Celestia smiled brightly at both of the foals, “Yes Shady you can. Starswirl the Bearded once created a theory about it, but this is the first time I’ve seen it for myself!”

Shady leaned towards the princess a slight smile on her face, “Does this mean I can go to magic school with Sunny?” She beamed hopefully at the Princess.

Celestia nuzzled Shady, “I’m afraid not my little pony, if Starswirl’s theory is correct then the more you’re around other ponies the more of the future you will see. And while I would like to know the future I don’t want to risk your gify falling into the wrong hooves. But, if there’s ever anything you want to tell me, you are a welcome guest.”

Shady’s face fell. Sunset came over and bumped Shady playfuly. “Don’t worry sis, I’ll always have time to write.”

Shady looked up at her sister, her last beacon of hope in this dark and dull world, and smiled, “Every week?”

Sunset nodded, “Every week.”

Shady looked at her seriously, “Sunshine swear.”

Sunset sighed, “I swear by the sun, moon, and stars in the sky that I’ll think of you as time goes by.”

Shady smiled before embracing her sister. She always made Sunset sunshine swear before letting her go anywhere outside of the house. And so far, Sunset had yet to break that promise. Shady stood up stiffly and saluted like she’d seen the royal guards do. “You may leave Ms. Shimmer.” She said in an overly pompous voice as she struggled not to laugh.

“Happy to do my duty Ms. Shimmer,” Sunset replied, mimicking Shady’s salute. She then turned to Celestia, “I’m ready to go Princess.”

Celestia used her wing to guide Sunset over to the chariot awaiting them, “Sunset, you are my pupil now. Please, call me Celestia.”
Shady did as Celestia had asked and quarantined herself to her home. And as the years passed by she found that she didn’t mind the eternal solitude, after all she could study and practice her magic, and she was more acquainted with her parents than most mares her age, and to top it all off she had the best penpal ever!
Shady walked over to the full length mirror her parents bought her for her 14th birthday and levitated a brush to fix her mane, a task that used to be difficult. Even now she had to sweep the house without magic, since according to the Princess the talent of foresight drained her magic supply. In other words, there were fillies that were more powerful than her.
“Shady!” Daylight Gleam called. “You’ve got a special delivery!”
“Coming!” Shady yelled back down the stairs. Turning back to the mirror she blew a last strand of her mane off of her face. She rushed downstairs only to come face to face with Sunset. Before she could greet her sister the world became consumed by a golden haze.
Sunset stood with Celestia in front of a large mirror.
“Sunset please don’t do this!” Celestia pleaded.
“You refused to tell me what I want to know,” Sunet retorted, her face clouded with anger. “I thought that’s what teachers are supposed to do!”
“Sunset,” Celestia whispered her voice both sad and stern, “You’re just not ready.”
Sunset whipped around to face Celestia. “And when will I be?”
Celestia stood, defeated, “There’s no way of knowing.”
Sunset stepped onto the mirror’s platform her expression grim, “That’s what I thought.” And with those words she plunged into the mirror.
“Surprise!” Sunset shouted as the haze vanished.
Shady blinked away her tears, “Sunset?”
Sunset looked concerned at her sister’s sadness, “What’s wrong Shady? Didn’t you miss me?”
Shady nodded, “Sunset promise me you’ll never leave without saying goodbye.”
Sunset hugged her, “I sunshine swear.”