• Published 31st Jul 2016
  • 2,165 Views, 17 Comments

An Unfulfilled Past - Ctmaley



Sunset Shimmer has a creepy/weird nightmare and at first she doesn't think too much about it until she realizes it deals with her past before she came to the human world

  • ...
6
 17
 2,165

Chapter 5

Later on that night Malachite was sitting alone in the living room thinking about what to say in the letter he was going to send to Princess Celestia. He pondered over his thoughts, should he say everything that happened or should he leave some parts out and replace them with things he thought would make this situation better in his mind.

"Dear Princess Celestia"
"My name is Malachite Colress and my daughter Sunset Shimmer has had something wonderful happened to her, she has received her cutie mark after testing her magical abilities. Sunset spent probably about an hour trying to do something extraordinary, then suddenly after trying and trying Sunset levitated myself, my wife, and are other three children along with everything in our living room. I think Sunset could have hidden potential inside of her and with your school and teachings, that potential could find it's way to the surface. However there is one problem our family does live in Baltimare and since yourself and your school are in Canterlot it might be difficult for Sunset to commute back and forth to your school, so once again thank you for reading this and I'll wait for your response."
"Sincerely, Malachite Colress"

After Malachite sent the letter to Princess Celestia and headed of to bed, he should have realized when you lie to a Princess, things have a tendency to come back and bite you. As the sun peaked through the curtains in Sunset's room, shining brightly in the yellow pony's eyes causing her to blinked a few times. When she tried to get up she couldn't, as Sunset had a little ruby-colored pony sprawled out on top of her with Ruby's head right underneath Sunset's chin.

"Oh yeah that's right, I almost forgot about last night." Sunset thought to herself.

She then tried poking Ruby with her free hoof, quietly calling her name, trying to get her sister to wake slightly so Sunset could get up and leave the room, but all that happened was Ruby beginning to snore. Even know Sunset thought her sister's snoring was adorable she was getting frustrated and just shouted her name.

"Ruby!!" Sunset shouted instantly waking up Ruby.

"What? I was dreaming of us having fun in a field full of flowers." Ruby whined.

"I was kinda hoping you would mind getting off me so I could get some breakfast." said Sunset.

"I don't want to." Ruby responded putting her face into Sunset's chest.

"Nope you're getting up come on" said Sunset as she moved Ruby off herself and got out of bed, when she made it to the floor Sunset threw her front hoofs around Ruby and started pulling her out of the bed

"Alright, alright, i'm up." yawned Ruby.

When the two made their way into the kitchen where both Ty and Jade were already there, they had begun eating pancakes that their mother had made for all of them.

"Hey, how are you guys feeling after last night?" Ty asked still concerned for his sisters. As just like Ruby neither Ty or Jade had ever heard their father yell like he did last night.

"Yeah we're fine, Ruby was a little shaken up though." Sunset said sitting down at the table with Ruby seated next to her.

"Even know you and me haven't really seen eye to eye, I was shocked to hear dad yelling from all the way downstairs, so I was concerned myself when I saw you both walking up the stairs nervous and shaken." said Jade, which did make Sunset a little happier, as that was the first time in the several months that Sunset had been a part of this family where Jade was nice to her.

Before any of them could speak again Malachite suddenly shouted yes from the living room making the four of them rush over to him.

"Yes!! Princess Celestia responded to my letter." Malachite cheered reading the letter that Celestia had sent back.

"What's going on dear?" asked Rose walking in the room.

"Well you see last night I sent a letter to Princess Celestia, telling her about Sunset getting her cutie mark and asked if she could have Sunset attend her school and help Sunset with her magical abilities." said Malachite happily.

"So what did the Princess say exactly" questioned Rose, to which Malachite handed his wife the letter and which it said

"Dear Mr. Colress"
"I was surprised to get a letter so late in the evening, however after I read it, I feel that Sunset seems to have a lot of magical potential, so I would like for you and your family to please bring her to my castle in Canterlot so I may see for myself
Thank You"
"Sincerely Princess Celestia"
After reading the letter Rose looked curiously at her husband wondering if he told Celestia everything.

"So i'am going to Princess Celestia's school?" asked Sunset

"Well sweetie the Princess does want to meet you, so I think that could be a yes." Rose answered.

"YAAYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Sunset shouted very excitedly and jumped into the air causing Ty and Ruby to laugh and even made a smile appear on Jade's face.

"I think that means we should get ready and head to Canterlot." said Malachite.

A little while later, the Colress family had made there way to the train station and when the train arrived they boarded a first class coach with Malachite and Rose sitting together one side of the train, with Sunset, Ruby, Jade and Ty sitting together on the other side. As the train moved along Sunset looked out the window very nervous about meeting the Princess and wondered what she was going to say.

"You seem very quiet Sunset, let me guess are you nervous?" asked Ty looking over at her.

"I am, it's just having the possibility to be one of Celestia's students is making me nervous and what if the Princess might decides i'am not fit to attend her school." responded Sunset.

"But you could have the potential to be excellent, fantastic, great, stupendous, amazing, and wonderful, you get where I am going with this sis." comforted Ruby.

"What does it matter if Celestia doesn't accept you into her school, life isn't going to end, I know this is a pretty big deal and all, but just to have this possibility when other unicorns will never get it, that's already a win according to me." Jade said while reading her book that she brought for the train ride.

Sunset ran the words from her sisters and brother through her head, maybe they were right, maybe she could really be excellent, fantastic, great, stupendous, amazing, wonderful and much more. She then looked back at the 3 of them and smiled. Before Sunset could say anything, the train came to a screeching halt as they had arrived in Canterlot, while the family were making their way to Princess Celestia's castle, Sunset could feel herself getting nervous with each hoof step she took and soon they were greeted by a couple of the royal guards when the family made their way to the castle.

"Welcome!, what brings all of you to Canterlot castle?" asked one of the guards

"Greetings, I'am Malachie Colress and this is my wife Rose Colress and our children Sunset Shimmer, Ruby, Jade and Tyrolite Colress." answered Malachite.

"Ah yes the Princess awaits your arrival follow me." said the other guard.

"Thank you." Malachite and Rose responded.

The closer and closer they all got to Princess Celestia's throne room, the more Sunset got nervous, would Celestia be impressed by her magical abilities and want Sunset to be her pupil or would Celestia think she wasn't special and didn't deserve to be her pupil. Sunset was so deep in her thoughts, that it wasn't until she heard a voice, which then brought her back to reality.

"Hello you must be Malachite Colress and you must be the little talented one Sunset Shimmer. With the rest of the family, welcome all of you to Canterlot, I'am glad to meet you" greeted Celestia

"Thank You, your highness" replied Malachite with himself and Rose bowing to Celestia, then Jade, Ruby and Ty did the same thing when they realized what was going on. Sunset blinked and stood there for a couple of seconds, before she realized, she was standing before the great Princess Celestia.

"Sunset your supposed to bow." whispered Jade.

"Oh...I-i'am v-very s-sorry your highness forgive me." Sunset said very nervously, and couldn't believe she had just embarrassed herself in front of the Princess.

Celestia let out a small chuckle and smiled "It's alright I've had that affect on many others before so I’m used to it." this made Sunset feel better and she gave a smile back

"So I here from your father that you can use your magic to levitate things already for just barely using it?" Celestia asked, which made Sunset, Jade, Ruby and Ty look surprised and Rose looked very curiously at her husband.

"Of course she already has your highness!, Sunset is just being a little shy that's all." exclaimed Malachite nervously "Go ahead sweetie show the Princess what you can do."

Celestia raised an eyebrow at Malachite's behavior, she knew he would be excited for Sunset being her father, but Celestia realized there was something more that was going on. As Sunset was trying to levitate anything she could in the room, herself, the guard’s staffs, her parents, her siiblings, anything. She was to nervous and confused, so nothing was happening. Malachite was starting to get nervous, a beat of sweat was starting to roll down his face so he bent down to his daughter and spoke.

"Come on Sunset, come on you can do this with ease, so stop holding yourself back and show the princess how powerful you are come on!" Malachite whispered to Sunset, however Celestia picked up on this and then frowned and squinted at Malachite. Before Celestia could say anything she felt herself rising up into the air, she looked down to see that Sunset was levitating her and the thrown.
Every pony in the room was shocked to see a little pony who had just begun using magic, levitating the Princess and her throne, then Sunset started to feel the magic and power flowing through herself and let out a small grunt, then a yellow light lit up the whole throne room and all of a sudden Sunset was now also levitating herself, her parents, her siblings and the guards.

"My word." Celestia said very surprised at the power of the young pony.

"Sunset darling open your eyes!" said Malachite excitedly.

So Sunset did and was shocked at what she saw, then a smile then appeared on Celestia's face and Sunset started laughing at the scene in the room.

"Wonderful truly wonderful, so can you please gently let us down?" asked Celestia.

"Sorry I just never expected any of this to happen." replied Sunset as she put down every pony and Celestia's throne back on the floor.

"It has been a long time since I’ve seen a pony with that much power and magic abilities for just starting out, you are truly special and I will gladly like to have you as my pupil." said Celestia with a smile and to the delight of the family.

"See I told you that the Princess would make you her pupil once she saw how powerful you were darling." said Malachite who was trying not to get to carried away, after he thought Celestia was going to find out that he lied about how Sunset got her cutie mark.

"Oh....okay thank you Princess Celestia" said Sunset who blushed a little over the fact that Celestia complemented her.

"Your welcome and after reading your father's letter, I do understand how difficult it would be for you to attend my school for gifted unicorns here in Canterlot with your home being in Baltimare, so If you would want to that is, you could stay here in the castle while your attending the school" said Celestia.

"Yes that would be wonderful and very helpful, thank you Princess." said Sunset who was jumping with a lot of excitement on the inside, not only would she be Celestia's pupil and attending her school, Sunset would also be living in Celestia's castle.

"Thank you princess." said Rose.

"You're all once again very welcome, anything that I can do to help a young one have the chance to attend my school I will do it, so since you'll be living here in the castle for the time being I think we should get you a room." said Celestia.

As they went up to the bedrooms in the castle, Sunset, Jade, Ruby and Ty were admiring everything that was in the castle the drapes, the statues, the stained glass windows with Rose smiling at her children and while they were admiring the castle, Celestia took the time to address Malachite on why he was pushing Sunset earlier, when she was demonstrating her power and if the reason why he did that was either being a carried away father or if there was more than just that.

"So you seem happier and excited about this opportunity for Sunset then she does care to explain why?" asked Celestia.

"Well you see I’m just happy and excited for her, now I do understand that I did get overzealous, however I was just being a father nothing more" said Malachite who even raised a hoof to show how honest he was being. However Celestia wasn't entirely sure, there was just something off about Malachite which didn't sit right with her.

"Really? So how come you were pushing Sunset so hard when she was demonstrating her power and magical abilities?, that seemed more than just an encouraging father to me." said Celestia her voice getting a little louder.

"Me and my wife just want the best for our daughter and that's it, I don't see what's wrong with that!" said Malachite defending himself realizing that Celestia was starting to dig away at what he had done.

"Hmmm alright then." Celestia said still suspicious of Malachite.

While they were talking, Sunset had been looking in each of the different rooms on the current floor, she had stumble upon a room that had nothing in it with the exception being a crystal mirror. This mirror wasn't like any other normal mirror, this crystal mirror had a purple horseshoe-shaped rim that was lined with pink gems, Sunset gazed at the mirror admiring its beauty as she walked closer, with her siblings about to follow her to the mirror they all then heard a voice.

"Hey!" they turned around to see that Rose had a do not touch anything look on her face. Both Malachite and Celestia had caught up to them and walked into the room.

"leave that mirror alone." said Celestia, making the four little ponies confused by this, to them it was just a mirror, so why would Celestia want them to stay away from it?

"Isn't it just a mirror?, because it looks like a normal mirror, so shouldn't that be what it is?" asked Sunset.

"If the Princess wants you to leave the mirror alone, then leave it alone Sunset." said Malachite sternly.

When they found a room for Sunset, Celestia used her magic to make it fit her more, the walls and the curtains turned red. The carpet, mattress and the pillows turned orange, the rugs turned yellow and the blanket on the bed turned both red and yellow, with Sunset's cutie in the middle of the blanket.

Sunset was amazed at the sight of the room and thought it was beautiful, a room just literally made for her, she then turned around and hugged Celestia.

"I know I’ve said this a lot today but thank you." Sunset said putting a smile on Celestia's face.

"Your welcome I just wanted to help you feel at home.” said Celestia.

When the little ponies rushed into the room to get a better look at everything, Celestia noticed Sunset and Ruby jumping and laughing together on the bed and she smiled at this. Rose walked in telling them to calm down and stop, Celestia then took this time as another opportunity to talk with Malachite some more.

"Malachite can you come with me for just a brief moment please?" Celestia asked.

"Why yes of course." Malachite answered.

Rose saw them leave and walk down the hallway, but didn't pushed the issue and went back to watching her little ones. Once Malachite and Celestia turned the corner and were out of sight the princess faced Malachite with a questioning look.

"Why do you want to separate Sunset and Ruby?" Celestia asked.

"Pardon?" Malachite said a bit taken back by her question.

"I see that Ruby has brought out a much more wonderful, happier and caring side of Sunset." said Celestia.

"What does that have to do with anything?" Malachite asked.

"Ruby and Sunset have formed this strong bond with each other and I take it yourself and your wife adopted her?" Celestia asked.

"What is it you have planned for Sunset?" responded Malachite.

"Just by seeing the strong bond between Sunset and Ruby, I feel that Sunset could form the same bond with other ponies and also help others form the same bond with each other and become one day a ruler of friendship, however the bond between Ruby and Sunset is not as strong as it could be, it is just beginning to grow and by deciding to separate the two, it could dissolve and the happiness inside Sunset's heart and replaced it with something else." Celestia finished.

"I just want to help Sunset learn how to be able to use her magical abilities to the fullest extent and your school is the answer to that." said Malachite

"I understand that, I just hope you think about what I've said." Celestia responded before she walked back into the room were everypony else was.

"So are we having fun?" Celestia asked putting a smile on her face.

"Yes we are, even know the rest of us have to go back home leaving Sunset here." Ruby said looking down at the floor holding back her tears.

"Awww Ruby it'll be alright." comforted Jade who pulled her sister into a hug

"Yes sweetie Jade is right, even know Sunset will be here, as long as you think about her, you can never be sad." said Rose as Malachite rejoined everypony else.

"I think I can help with that." Celestia said as she lit up her horn and two books appeared in front of Sunset and Ruby. The book in front of Sunset had her cutie mark on it and the book in front of Ruby was about half the size of Sunset's and had a picture of Ruby on it.

"What are these?" Sunset asked.

"This is a way for the two of you to communicate with each other while Sunset's here in Canterlot attending my school, whenever you want to talk with each other just write a message that starts off with "Dear Sunset" for you Ruby and "Dear Ruby" for you Sunset and then the books will know to send the message to the other one." said Celestia.

"Cool." said Ty opening Sunset's book.

"Why do this for us?" Ruby asked.

"I see that you and your sister are really close and I simply just wanted to help you two keep in touch with one another, so neither of you becomes sad." Celestia responded.

"Thank you." Sunset and Ruby answered and while they talked with each other before the family had to leave, Celestia looked at Malachite and gave him a very stern look.

Author's Note:

2 chapters in one day wow, so what do you guys think is going to happen in the next chapter hmmmmmm.