• Published 8th Jul 2016
  • 1,292 Views, 92 Comments

The War Within Equestria - Addictive Reads



Rainbow Dash had her loyalty pulled apart. When Celestia and Luna declared war against each other, Rainbow had been seperated from three of her friends, and many more. While out on a mission, she meets a stallion of great power at her enemy's side.

  • ...
4
 92
 1,292

The Plains-Chapter 3

Rainbow Dash reached The Plains after a few hours of flying without breaks. It was nighttime already. She was standing inside the jungles of The Plains, where the trees over-hanged so much that she could not see the nightsky. There were thick roots of trees sticking out of the ground, threatening to trip her if she was not careful. The moon today was so bright, probably a favor from Luna to help her on this journey. The moonlight illuminated the jungles of The Plains, eliminating any shadows.

"Thanks a lot, Luna," Rainbow Dash said quietly. She also wondered whether Luna could adjust the brightness of the moon. Maybe.

A growl was heard not too far away. It did not sound pony-like, so Rainbow Dash tensed up, and reached for her spear that she carried along with her. Something rustled the leaves on the ground near her.

"Steady, Rainbow," Rainbow Dash muttered to herself.

A manticore jumped into sight, but it looked nothing like the one Fluttershy had encountered in the first days of their friendship. The bulging muscles, the scorpion-like tail, the shaggy mane, the bat-like wings and the sharp, jagged teeth of the manticore made Rainbow Dash tighten her grip on the spear. She felt intimidated by it. It was fight or flight.

Flight.

That was what her instincts told her.

"Damn, I can't fly," Rainbow Dash muttered.

The overhanging trees of The Plains were too low for her to fly high enough to zoom past the beast, so she galloped as fast as her hooves would take her. The manticore was giving chase behind her. Now she realised why nopony could stay alive in The Plains. Probably, or rather, more likely, this was just the beginning.

Rainbow tried her best to hold in her scream. The gigantic monster was catching up to her fast.

"I need to practice on my galloping," Rainbow Dash muttered as she made a mental note of that when the monster was only inches to eating her in one gulp.

"No!" Rainbow Dash shrieked as she carelessly tripped on a root.

Her hoof was stuck in the root and she could not get it out. Rainbow's heart beat so fast that she thought it might burst out of her ribcage. The manticore was towering over her, jaws opened, ready to chomp her down in one bite.

Quickly reacting to save her tail, Rainbow Dash threw her spear into the beast's mouth. It started coughing and choking. Now it was the time for her to escape. Small, red circles soon decorated the surroundings. The manticore was coughing out blood. Rainbow, who was a tad bit guilty about plunging her spear into its mouth, dashed deep inside the jungle, eager to get as far away as possible from it.

"Horseapples, that was close," Rainbow panted as she wiped beads of sweat from her brow.

She ran into the heart of the jungle, occasionally checking on her tattoo to see whether it glowed or not. It did not.

After finding a safe place, a leafy area, that Rainbow Dash assumed was safe, she laid down against the huge leaves. She took out her bottle of water and gulped down on it. Rainbow took out a piece of beef jerky and chewed on it.

While eating in silence, Rainbow noticed that she could see the night sky from there. It was filled with many stars that shone brightly, like somepony sprinkled glitter in the night sky. Rainbow wondered whether Luna could adjust the number of stars each night. Maybe. She laid out her sleeping bag on the dirt ground. She snuggled inside, carefully placing a dagger near it, in case any danger struck unexpectedly.

A smile spread across her face when a certain thought came to mind.

"I wonder how Rarity would react to this dirty sleeping environment," Rainbow snickered softly as she closed her eyes. She let out a sigh, "oh, well...goodnight, myself."

The sunlight filtered through Rainbow's eyelids, causing her to stir and groan in annoyance.

"What the hay?" She grumbled as she slid out of her sleeping bag. She was still half-awake.

Rainbow Dash tensed up suddenly as she regained full consciousness. Did her bag go missing? Did anything happen while she was sleeping? Thousands of thoughts streamed through her mind. She checked her bag and her surroundings. Nothing was different from last night. Phew.

Rainbow packed up and left the area. It was better not to linger at a certain area for too long in The Plains. She might never know.

"Well, let's see. Where is the Journal of Tirek?" Rainbow huffed as she took out her map and compass, "It's at the northeast side." She studied the map and and compass quickly. Rainbow Dash sighed. "And I'm in the east. Looks like I need to walk for quite some days, since I can't fly in here. Well, let's hope for the best," She said to nopony in particular.