• Published 2nd Jul 2016
  • 3,979 Views, 102 Comments

Princess Protection Program - Lola Dotz



Twilight has given up on love, dreams, and adventure, but fate has other plans...

  • ...
19
 102
 3,979

Observing Cupcakes and Reading Letters

Flash looked at the pretty alicorn, smiling nervously. He had been told by Princess Cadence to come to Ponyville with the purpose of helping another one of the Princess. He didn’t know too much about her, though. The pegasus recalled that he had met her a couple times before when she visited the Crystal Empire on occasion, but he couldn’t say he knew her personally. Flash understood that she was once a unicorn under the tutelage of Princess Celestia, she’d saved Equestria a few times and had become the Princess of Friendship, she was also family of his commander Shining Armor. Now, he would be Twilight’s personal guard for a temporary time, as instructed by Cadence.

He remembered then.

Uh...here, this is from Princess Cadence. It’s a letter instructing you to let me-” Twilight wasted no time and brought the letter to her eyes to read deeper into this mess.

Her eyes moved rapidly and she made over twenty different faces while reading the synopsis of the letter.

As written,


Dear Princess Twilight,

This letter is an agreement of security transfer, considering that all but one of the Princesses for the defense and guidance of Equestria has at least one guard for protective purposes. As a Princess and your sister-in-law, I have sent one of my best to come and ensure your safety. Please be understanding and respectful towards your guard, he is there for your service and will be at your beck and call. If you feel that he does not suit your needs, you may send him back.

P.S. Go get him girly!


“But...uh...I-” Twilight stumbled on her words. How could she put this? She didn’t know where to begin with this!

“If I may,” Flash began, after which Twilight looked at him and nodded for the stallion to continue. “...I know I don’t look like much Miss Sparkle, but I’d be honored to lend you my services. Being unprotected when you are one of the most important mares in the country is something, as a guard, that I would not accept. We stallions of the protective services make it our goal to protect, secure, and love our princesses. Having the utmost respect for royalty is embedded in our code ma’am. I know, again, I may not be worthy and I am only one officer...but I assure you that you will always be safe under my watch. Just give me a chance to prove it.” The pegasus was standing at attention, with determination in his eyes. Though his words seemed almost rehearsed, and if not a bit dramatic.

Do I really even have a choice?

“Well, Flash. I will grant you access to my castle and you will be my personal guard...for now.” Flash seemed to look at her curiously, which Twilight took note of. Dear Celestia, she’d prayed that nothing was stuck in her teeth...or that she pronounced something incorrectly...or that she had spit when she had slipped her tongue. Maybe her mane was messed up and she had a cowlick? Twilight lit her horn and fixed her hair, even though it was perfectly fine. Why was he looking at her in such a way?

“You...know my name?” Twilight froze when the solider asked her inquisitively.

Of course I do. But you wouldn't know anything about that.

She tried to recall when he might have told her his name through introductions, but it had never come up. And he’d be too smart not to recognize that he hadn’t said his own name to her.

“I-well...that is, I do...I have met you many times before on my visits to the Crystal Empire...and my brother Shining has talked about you on occasion-you are a very talented officer and one of his best...as he has told me-” She bit her lip hoping he would take it and leave the subject alone.

Oh, well I doubt I’m as good as he says. I guess I’m now only a bit disappointed is all…” Flash said, noticing Twilight’s nervousness. When he mentioned his disappointment, however, she looked at him also a bit curious.

“Disappointed?”

Oh, yes...now I fear my introduction won’t be very good considering you already know my name.” Flash looked at her, a gleam of mischief in his eye.

“Well...I can’t recall your last name-” The alicorn looked up at him. She wanted to hear him say his name to her, to have that introduction.

“My name, Princess Sparkle…” He came closer and got her hoof and pecked it gently with his lips as I sign of respect, both ponies blushing lightly at the small contact between one another, “...is Flash Sentry.”

“That’s, uh...is a very strong name...officer…” Twilight said in slight shock, but smiled genuinely at him.

Ahem-” Spike coughed behind the two ponies, the awkward third wheel feeling beginning to get to him.

“Twi, we need to get going and finish the list you prepared earlier...should he come along?”

“Oh, um...yes, of course!” She slipped her hoof away from the pegasus quickly, much to both ponies disappointment. “Flash, you will be accompanying me and my assistant while we run some errands through town. That is if you don't mind carrying you things until we're finished?”

“I’ve been training for battle since I was a yearling...I can handle it.” He smiled playfully, then walked slowly beside the alicorn, matching her pace.

He seemed different than the Flash she had met in the other world, the one she had danced with, and the one she had bumped into conveniently, though she never really conversed with him fully. She had only talked to him a few times, though there was a clear attraction, Twilight didn’t know Flash Sentry at all.

The alicorn looked over to his pack and noticed how large each side was, and the object resting on his back. The packs were no doubt filled to the brim with books and other knick knacks. Twilight could recognize the creases being made on the fabric were from the corners of leather binded knowledge. On another note, the object on his back looked like an instrument. It was a stringed, made up of wood being protected by a sheer, pale fabric that rested on Flash’s folded wings. They were quite big and strong looking, as well as everything else about him. As he walked, Twilight could see the strong muscles beneath his orangery fur flex and move handsomely.

The princess turned away and shook her head violently, then looked forward.

Calm down Twi. You know it would be wrong to play with such thoughts. You'd only be hurting yourself.

“Twi?” Spike spoke up when he noticed Twilight’s furious mumbling, her thinking was getting intense. Twilight recognized the voice of her dragon assistant and looked up at him.

Oh, sorry Spike...I was just trying to think of...what we were going to do when we get back to the castle.” Spike nodded suspiciously, before pausing in the street as Twilight shuffled though her pack. The alicorn and her passe had stopped momentarily beside a market stand as Twilight made the list come to her with levitation, whilst Flash looked off in different directions, scanning everything.

"We should head to Sweet Apple Acres first, then perhaps pick up some groceries while we walk back home."


Flash came up beside Twilight after he had made small talk with her dragon friend. The pegasus wanted to know more about this mysterious, confident Princess. He was more intrigued than ever.

“Flash?” It slid off her tongue lightly, but it sounded bold and she made it stronger with her poised attitude, and assertive speech. She walked with grace and showed a sign or royal regalia. She was stunning.

“Flash?” Twilight repeated, this time turning to him.

Hm? Oh!” Flash blushed, he had been thinking too deeply on this. Her figure and purple glow was setting him off and the way she held herself was something he wanted more of.

“I’ll give you the basic summary of why we’re here. My friend known as AppleJack is refurbishing a gazebo for an annual festival we have here in Ponyville to celebrate when it was founded." She explained cheerfully, excited at the sound of the event. Flash nodded, smiling as well.

"Sounds like a blast."

Twilight stepped hoof on the damp dirt of Sweet Apple Acres. Big Mac was supposed to be near the gate today to escort them to the structure that needed to be tended to. Twilight looked around and tried to find her escort, but there was none.

Well I didn’t exactly give notice…

“Howdy ya’ll!” A familiar country mare galloped up the path to meet her friends, and a new visitor it seems.

The mare herself, Flash noted, was orange like the juice itself. She had straw like hair that had recently been brushed into a bun and was being held up by a red band that was older than her by the looks of it. The hat seemed older too, possibly a family heirloom. The mare's eyes were green like the apples that grew on her trees. On closer inspection, he noticed her cutie mark and recognized her as the element of honesty.

“Hey AppleJack!” Twilight gave the mare a hug, and then talked in her friend's ear. “How are you?”

“Am doin’ just fine, Twilight, sorry for the wait-” Flash noted her country accent, it seemed to be modified a little to fit the generation, but was still thick with culture.

“Oh, you didn’t make us wait too long, I would have ventured on my own to find the gazebo, but I thought it was more logical to wait here for one of you ponies to see us first.” Twilight said standing back up, but still rested her hoof on AJ’s shoulder.

“Ah, yeah, Mac had to leave. He left early this morning on the Ponyville train and was headed for a rodeo.” AppleJack snuck a small peek at Flash who moved another inch closer to Twilight. He was strong built, and wore shiny armor. Who was this stallion?

Uh, pardon me but ah was just curious…” AppleJack began, seemingly nervous, but also worried for a moment. Suspicious?

That’s not the first time…

Flash reminded himself.

“What is it?” Twilight questioned, only now noticing her friends observing glare towards the new guard.

“Well, I was just wantin’ ta know...who are ya?” The country mare pointed at the orange pegasus, as if accusing him of some wrongdoing. Twilight looked back at the stallion that had moved closer to her side now. The way he stood there next to her. It was so interesting how it made her feel.

"Ah..." The alicorn hesitated a moment.

"He's a friend."

Author's Note:

EDIT:3/17/2018: Deleted a whole bunch, heh

Hope you enjoyed!

Tell me if you see any mistakes and I'll fix it! :twilightsmile: