• Published 2nd Jul 2016
  • 3,939 Views, 102 Comments

Princess Protection Program - Lola Dotz



Twilight has given up on love, dreams, and adventure, but fate has other plans...

  • ...
19
 102
 3,939

Dragon Heart

The room was quiet, all there was to hear were the shuffling noises of parchment being moved slowly to the next page of a book with also a small disturbance in the silence from the usage of magic. Twilight sat on top of a neatly stacked pile of cushions and pillows on the library floor of her castle, reading a rather thick book. It was a book on magic, which would come to no surprise to anypony if they knew the small alicorn. Twilight’s eyes scanned the words with half interest, its context being of no use to her in the slightest, but she pressed on and continued to read. It was the only way to keep her distracted from the awkward silence that tried desperately to get the alicorn’s attention. The lavender mare ignored it, putting one page after another to the side, trying her hardest to make noise. Twilight knew it was foolish to hate the peacefulness, she was in a library after all.

Her eye twitched slightly, her front hooves that balanced her book fidgeted nervously. The entirety of her body told her to look, but her mind raced anxiously. It wouldn’t be out of fear to not look, certainly not. Twilight wasn’t afraid, but nervous and tense from the thought of an awkward confrontation. But what was more awkward? Not looking and ignoring his presence, or acknowledging that he was in fact there? Her body quivered slightly, begging her to move and look up, to drop the useless book and walk away from the comfort of her pillows, and to marvel at her company. Twilight sighed internally, before pulling her hooves toward her chest, her book falling from her eyes and changing her center view.

Displayed in front of her was an open chest, Sombra’s misshapen horn standing upright and coming out from his small box. Twilight eyed him, her face worriedly studying the disembodiment and it’s large red stain. She hadn’t thought of speaking to him since taking him to her corridors, believing the quietness was desperately needed then, mostly for her own sake. However, now it was nagging her and made the alicorn worried for the pitiful creature in the chest. When she had taken him through the castle and to her room, she left him on the nightstand before going to bed herself, knowing well she would be safe. She didn’t think her magical exchange spell prior to that would help him regenerate overnight, but that was two days ago.

Twilight eyed the horn, her eyelids sagging over her pupils in a jaded manner. This time, she sighed aloud, her book flattening against her hooves completely as her head drooped. She contemplated her next course of action in the time her head hung there in more unbearable silence. She could talk to him again, break the ice. Celestia had mentioned in their meeting that Cadence and Sombra had spoken to one another, it wasn’t impossible to communicate. Or she could stay noiseless for the time she’s in the presence of Sombra.

The alicorn moved uncomfortably again. Part of her wanted to speak, and part of her wanted to leave Sombra alone. The latter won the argument that had played out in her mind.

“Do you like to read?” Twilight mumbled, too quiet for anypony to actually hear. The lavender mare mentally face hoofed, her snout scrunching in self disappointment. She coughed quietly, and cleared her throat. “Ahem, do you like to read, Sombra?” Her voice was still quiet, but it pierced the stillness like a sword against the wind, an echo following after her innocent question. What followed after that was dead air, not a single peep from Sombra for several seconds. Twilight’s ears folded back in mild annoyance.

I shouldn’t have expected anything. She huffed after her small thought, her magic fixing her book at an angle on her hooves for her to continue her idle reading. Just as she was doing so, one of the library doors opened slightly into the room. It caught Twilight’s attention soon enough for her to see Spike peek inside.

“Hey Twi.” He whispered, an apologetic grin on his face. The princess gave him a small, tired smile in return. Since Sombra had entered the castle, Spike had avoided discussion with Twilight. Easily not speaking to anypony in her presence, still carrying out every chore and task given to him. While not ignored, Twilight still was hurt by the sudden silence Spike gave. Finally, he seemed to be coming back around as he waited by the library door.

The dragon looked at her in sympathy before coming into the room, walking over to her. He turned his head to his side to see Sombra in mild interest. Whether his face was a look of disappointment or indifference, Twilight couldn’t say, but all she understood was the time it would take for Spike to soften to the new change.

“No movement yet, huh?” He deducted from Twilight’s tired, worried expression.

“Not a peep.” She sighed. Spike found a pillow to sit on and sat himself comfortably next to Twilight. It was silent for a moment, both ponies staring unconsciously at Sombra’s horn, before Spike leaned closer to Twilight and whispered.

“I’m sorry. Ya know….for how I reacted when they brought Sombra here.” Twilight shook her head casually, understanding well of how Spike felt and his right to feel the need to protect his family.

“Spike, you reacted normally. Any other normal pony in your situation would have acted the same...perhaps not as rash with their anger, but how you’re feeling is okay.” Twilight soothed, her hoof comforting the dragon’s shoulder with light rubbing.

“Still, I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have shunned you for so long, Twi. You’re just doing what you think is right, what you’re good at. You’re taking on this huge job of reforming Sombra and befriending him, and in doing so fulfilling your destiny by being the Princess of Friendship.” There was a small pause then, Twilight looking away numbly. Spike sighed and continued. “I shouldn’t have reacted the way I did when you’re doing what’s right.” Spike pressed the apology with a bit of hesitance in his voice, still worried over the newest developments. Twilight moved closer and gently hugged Spike, giving him comfort.

“Don’t worry about it, Spike.” She whispered to him, which earned Twilight a reciprocating hug from the dragon. In a moments pause, they embraced and held close for several seconds before releasing one another. Spike thought it best to chat since Twilight had no luck with Sombra, and to try his best avoiding the topic of his disagreement, the dragon cleared his throat.

“Have ya heard anything from Starlight?” Twilight smiled at that. It hadn’t been long since Starlight left for her vacation to the Crystal Empire, but the young princess had already received plenty of letters.

“Of course! I’ve received a letter every other day, even though I was expecting one everyday. Still, her visit is going great! Apparently her and Sunburst have been going to the library almost everyday, which is exciting.” Twilight gleefully smiled.

“Oh yeah, loads of fun.” Spike added, a bit deadpanned.

“Yes. And surprisingly, she took the news of Sombra’s arrival in my last letter pretty well.” Twilight looked back at the horn that invaded their privacy, her joy being sucked away by the melancholy state of Sombra. Spike took note of this and quickly diverged the focus again to something else.

“So…uh, have you seen...Flash around?” Spike didn’t really want to talk about the guard, but he knew it would direct Twi’s attention off of Sombra for a bit.

Oh, um-”Twilight nervously closed her book and put it to the side, her eyes searching for words that apparently hid between her hooves. “No I haven’t actually. He’s been a little distant since Sombra came back.”

Uhg, of course. Spike thought aggravatingly, both at Flash’s careless attitude toward Twilight and another reason to think of Sombra. Spike was beginning to wish both “guests” would have never arrived.

“I guess that's why I was so upset before…” Spike mumbled to himself, but regretted the statement as soon as Twilight acknowledged him.

“What? You're mad at Flash?” Twilight felt concerned at this. This was as much Spike’s home as it was hers. If he felt uncomfortable or angered by somepony, he should have told her about it. Whether this was a friendship problem Twilight would have to solve, or just change Spike needs help accepting.

“No, no…I'm not really mad with him, it's just-” Spike paused for a moment before continuing. “It's true, I'm oddly annoyed with him. I also don't like Sombra being here either.” Spike turned over to Twilight and kept explaining his feelings. “You know I'm usually for change, and for us to grow as a family. But, ever since these two showed up I feel more stressed and confused. Flash is someone you like, but you promised yourself you wouldn't be with any pony romantically because you didn't want to wound up hurt in the end. And Sombra? That jeopardizes our safety, our home, and all our friendships. Sombra is an evil and horrible stallion that has tortured and killed ponies! I didn't want you to have to try and save somepony that's past the point of saving. This change...it isn't worth the pain, I think. That's why I lashed out. On top of Flash moving in and potentially wrecking your heart, Sombra comes in and threatens to break you down completely.”

Spike went silent, leaving Twilight to her thoughts. Her eyes were wide and her heart raced; out of what feelings it was beating to she didn't quite know. She didn't expect Spike to feel this way, to feel so deeply for her and the place they called home. Everything was completely understandable and not at all in the field of unreasonable. He was right. Everything Spike said was absolutely right.

Spike the dragon waited in silence for Twilight to disagree with his argument, resting his head roughly on his wrists, laying down with a heavy snort of smoke coming from his nostrils. While he seemingly pouted quietly in indignation, Twilight thought to herself, her eyes searching for a way to contradict Spike. In a situation like this, where one can’t go back or simply give up, you think positively to assist the process of healing, trying to rid yourself of the stress and heartbreak life gave you. While Twilight knew exactly how she should make Spike feel, she couldn’t find one thing positive to say about the trials they both were facing.

Before this, prior to Flash and Sombra coming to Friendship Castle, everything was fine. Perfect even. Everything was planned, organized, predictable. Princess Twilight, Spike, and Starlight all called the peaceful castle their home where nothing completely stressing or new happened. Where you could retire not worried of the next morning knowing well that it was planned by lists, charts, and notes. Books occupied your time as well as occasional parties and get-togethers with friends that grew white hairs just trying to juggle love and life while making time for you. Where the map didn’t call you. The place where….nothing happened anymore. Where the adventures stopped, and that was it.

Before Flash and Sombra had shown up on the alicorn’s castle doorstep, it felt lonely. Even with Spike and Starlight living in her home, she had begun to go through the motions and lived with little excitement anymore. She had begun to crave and fantasize on new friendships, small romance, and adventure with no hope of receiving anything of the sort. All she had been doing was writing lists for the next week, reading, and making herself coffee to stay awake for more studying. True, the circumstances were not ideal, but they were something different from what she had been living for years. She couldn’t lose the small chance of making something with Flash, even if it would end in despair. She couldn’t lose faith in her task of reforming Sombra, even if it was a daunting one. Twilight knew she needed to make the most of this opportunity that has been placed before her.

“Spike, I think you’re looking at this with the wrong pair of spectacles.” Twilight smiled tenderly at the dragon right as he slowly turned his head and looked up at her from his wrists.

“Really Twi? C’mon…” He remarked a bit annoyed.

“No, I'm serious. I've never been this confused, this stressed, this excited for something in so long, Spike.” Twilight closed her eyes thoughtfully, lifting her chin in the air as she reminisced of all her adventures. “I remember fighting with villains, jumping through mirrors, traveling with my friends, learning new things, and growing as a pony. Then everything just stopped. Our friends grew older, we have too…and now our adventures are tales and...nothing really happens anymore.” Twilight paused, taking a breath of sudden sadness. “For the past year I’ve been contradicting myself, and just daydreaming, wishing for things to happen but then I’d be procrastinating. I’d try to convince myself that I was fine and there was nothing to do in changing my life...because it was indifferent.” Twilight held her book close to her hooves, cradling it as she brought all her feelings to the light for Spike to see.

“I’m sorry Twi, I didn’t know you felt this way.” Spike sympathetically whispered.

“I didn’t want you to. I didn’t want anypony to know how I felt because I thought all my friends would think it was something they did that made me feel this way. It’s all my fault. I can’t accept change until…heh, it stumbles out of a train and humbly bows at my hooves.” Twilight grinned thoughtfully, and Spike rolled his eyes with the tiniest of smiles etched in his scales.

“Spike, I know it's for the best to not entertain my feelings on Flash...but I can't deny him that friendship and send him away, nor can I deny the old feelings that are there. I know being immortal has this catch where you watch everypony age without you, I have to mourn a long life without you or the girls. Call me selfish, but I don't think that should stop me from living.” Twilight paused a second, as if waiting for Spike to point out a flaw, but nothing coming from him anytime soon. The lavender mare continued. “I also know that's it's dangerous to let Sombra into our home...but I miss the dangerous. I miss taking up tasks from the princesses and going on adventures for the sake of Equestria and everypony in it! This….what's happening…I think it's our newest adventure.” Twilight had spoken with passion and hope in her voice. Her wings tightly clenched to her sides, and her hooves pressed hard against the crystal floor. Her eyes had a forgotten fire that Spike hadn’t seen in the young princess in practically a decade.

The dragon sighed heavily and lifted his head, shaking it with a stifled chuckle.

“You're crazy, Twi.” Twilight blinked owlishly, before giggling herself. “I can't tell you what to do-” Spike began. “-and, I’m really sorry that I look at this so negatively. You should have this, you deserve to have this adventure. You've done so much for Equestria, but once all the trials disappear you miss it, and I know you’ve gotten bored of it. But you're the Princess of Friendship and the head of the Friendship Council. You have so many dreams and an eternity to live them…the adventures shouldn't stop because everyone around you is getting older. I’m just afraid of you or I getting hurt from this…” Spike concluded, to which Twilight leaned in once more and gave him a hug.

“If we get hurt, we’ll heal...we’ll be okay.” The two embraced for a moment longer, while across from them Sombra watched in anguish.

What a gruesome sight this lot is. Passion shouldn’t be wasted on meaningless things such as these. Sombra thought to himself, of course, he wouldn’t want anypony else curiously tampering with his horn in amazement at his speech produced with incomprehensible methods.

Magic. Sombra snorted. I need more time. More energy. More of her magic…perhaps it’s time to “grow”. He hummed, and suddenly, his horn glowed dimly. Twilight caught it from the corner of her eye and gasped, a purple light emanating from Sombra. The light grew brighter and brighter, consuming his horn in it’s purple aura.

“Sombra?!” Twilight jumped from her pillows and hastily skid across the crystal floor in front of Sombra’s box. The horn’s light then stopped growing, and now stayed as consistently bright as a lamp. A purple, enchanted lamp.

“What’s going on with ‘em?” Spike breathed out, a bit skeptical of the sudden magic surge Sombra was casting.

“I think he’s coming.” Twilight stated hesitantly, turning to look at Spike as he too looked at her.

Author's Note:

Short and sweet, aaaannnd here comes Sombra! Finally, he'll play a bigger part in the story. So, now Spike has opened up all sentimental as well as Twi and everything seems to be out in the open. See what happens next in future chapters of Princess Protection Program! :D

With Love,
Lola <3