• Published 29th Jun 2016
  • 607 Views, 5 Comments

Spike's Sunshine - B_25



Spike, being accused of a mess he did not create, must use a machine called F.L.U.D.D to clean an island and search for his lost friends.

  • ...
8
 5
 607

Prologue

“Why all the fuss, Spike?” Twilight had said, climbing up the steps and entering the plane. “The Isles is a peaceful tropical island, and we’re even taking a plane to get there. What could go wrong, you worry-head?”

Right. And then Twilight had to go and jinx it.

“Technology is advancing at a rate that we can trust its machinery. Besides, if anything goes wrong, you have wings to fly with! So just strap yourself into your seat and settle down, Spike.”

The hurling of the wind was clogging to the dragon’s ears, as the wind coaxed his back with its presence. Clouds were becoming temporary pillows – the most delightfully soft things to rest a head on – before he would go on to phase past them.

Spike groaned as his eyelids pulled back, allowing him to take in the late-afternoon’s soft, orange glow as he awoke. Pulling up a claw to shield his eyes from the light – the movement caused his body to twirl in the air and for him to yelp.

“Now arriving at twenty-thousands feet: seat belts may now be unfastened.”

Multiple clicks came from many seats, along with delightful sighs.

“Oh nelly, any more of that, and I wouldn’t have my guts.”

“Tell me about it! My ears are still ringing out from when we first took off.” Rainbow dug a hoof into her ear, and nothing came out from it.

“All a small price to pay,” Rarity added in, stretching out her limbs from the long flight, “for the beauty we are to experience! Laying out on the beach; learning the ways of a new culture – sign me up, anytime.”

“I just hope the apples taste the same there.”

“And of course you would be worried about that.”

A talon kicked around in the air as its owner tried to balance himself out. Claws reached out everything in hopes of finding an invisible edge, but such movements made the dragon’s twirls turn into rolls.

Hurl began to form in the pits of the dragon’s chest, but the wasn’t the only thing developing.

Green flames erupted out from his open mouth, burning the vomit as well as shooting the dragon backwards.

“So Celestia’s just wants us to get a signature?” Spike had said. “Why not just get Derpy to fly over and get the job done?”

“Because it shows that Celestia's has enough trust in the Island to send her heros to do a simple greeting: it’s a gesture call. And spending a few weeks on a tropical island doesn’t seem all that unpleasant to me.”

Pinkie nodded her head. “It’s like Celestia's giving us a free vacation.”

Free? Right. As long as that doesn't count the life of one dragon. It wouldn’t be long till his scales met the ground, and became a nice splat to see. Heck, that splat probably wouldn’t be missed for long, and could easily be cleaned up with a hose.

An item fell along with Spike, falling in the same fashion as he. The arising winds blurred just what the item was, but it was dashing around in movements that were not its own.

“You girls are the heros, not me,” Spike had said, crossing his arms. “So why am I here? I’d rather be home alone and taking care of the library, while you lot go save the world and relax.”

“Because I don’t trust you home alone,” Twilight had stated. “You’ve matured over the years, Spike, but still don’t think you're ready to—”

“Substance, unknown!” The robotic voice had called through the plane’s speakers. “Unknown substance found in both pillars; immediate assistance required.”

“What the—” Rainbow’s body went flying up from the ground to the ceiling, then slamming back down.

“Dash!” Everyone had cried, gripping to the handles of their seats.

Applejack bit her lip as her stomach felt queasy. That didn’t stop her from ejecting from her seat to go save her cyan-coated friend. Hooves planted on the ground, teeth biting on the fabric below for assurance, Applejack made it over.

“Rainbow, are you—” The plane began to dip. Applejack started to float. A breath suspended in the air, her back flew into the front of the plane, and onto the door leading to the pilot’s room.

Eyes were place on the unconscious mare in the corridor, but not a mouth moved, when all their hearts seemed ready to explode.

A small figure was attached to the item, bearing a resemblance to a little old pony. It floated around in the air at its own choosing, with streams of water falling below it. Whatever it was, it was getting closer to the dragon, whose eyes were beginning to close.

The drake couldn’t but help and scratch at his bloody back, and tried to feel the missing parts of his wings.

“Altitude lost. Please flush out the chambers on the sides of the plane.”

All who remained conscious had their eyes focused upon Twilight. The Princess whom had solved many a friendship problem, and even saved the world from more than one villain, must of had solution that would save them all.

Her horn charged up, a purple aura forming around the two sleeping mares – the magic canceled out, and Twilight was blown back into her chair, eyes closing all on their own.

“Twilight!” Rarity called, her horn charging a magical blue.

Spike saw the connection in a second. “Rarity, no!”

It was too late.

And Rarity suffered the same fate. Her body floated forward, but Spike leaped from his seat, and took hold of the mare while in the air. A claw gripping the handle of her seat, the drake pushed her against gravity to sit down one more.

Her belt came to click, and Spike’s head began to crash against the same door. The world became a blur, and his legs felt twice as heavy. A blob of orange slightly rose and fell upon it, and Spike didn’t hesitate to put the thing under his arm.

“Plane will soon commence a dive. Please assist in the mess in the two chambers.”

Spike threw his claw on the edge of the corridor wall, and pulled himself and Applejack up. Twilight's seat was just above his seat, so was his own. As was the belt that would prevent him falling anymore, and may save his scaly behind on impact.

Yet, he struggled to put Applejack in his seat, and fastened her belt as fast as he could.

“Spike!” Fluttershy called, causing Spike to turn his head. Just in time to see the crate knock him in the face, and force his back onto the wall. Sliding down its length, it was a fight against his own conscious to keep his eyes open.

“Spike?!”

“I’m alright,” Spike replied, wiping the claw off from his eye. He rose up with a limp, as the world began to spin around him, and Dash to slide down to him. She was looking to meet the door face-first.

Spike grabbed her by the neck, and brought her from the aisle to his side. With a pant, his head fell against the wall, as his eyes came to close.

“Gotta… keep it together…”

Something flapped before him. Inching his eyes open, Fluttershy’s face was before him, her head slightly tilted with a frown.

“Get. Dash.” Spike coughed out, as the world went for another whirl.

Fluttershy opened her mouth then slowly closed it. Sliding her head underneath her friends’ arm, she helped to fly them both back to their seats. That left everyone upon the plane safe, all except Spike.

But that would’ve been fine. It’s only a tragedy if something happens to the heroes.

Spike let his head fall right, and his eyes became acquainted with the contents of the box. It could briefly described as a yellow hose with a jug of water attached to the bottom of it. A leather belt lay in front of it, along with two brown pads paddling along its sides.

“Dive to come into effect. Please flush out the chambers.”

Spike took the device and stepped to the door next to him. A world of blue and clouds on the other side, and a large fall to occur if he were to slip.

“Wha… What do you think you’re doing, Spike?” Pinkie had called out, strapped safely to her seat.

“Going to go check out those chambers we’ve been hearing so much about; hopefully I won’t fall to my death.” He slid open the door and was almost pulled out of the plane. It was like windy hands were touching all throughout his body and trying to pull him along with their currents.

“You can’t do that Spikey!”

“Someone’s gotta. I’m in a much better place to do it; I have wings to help me fly if I fall, but if that happens, I won’t be able to catch up with the plane. I at least need to solve what’s wrong before that happens.”

Pinkie didn’t have anything to save, as she only nodded her head, and closed her eyes. A rise and fall in her chest, Spike had never seen her so peacefully before.

Fluttershy too nodded her head at him, as she struggled to just focus on her breaths as well.

Spike stuck his head out of the plane.

The creature came before Spike, still looking like a blur. A smile could be made out from its features, as splash of water came over the drake’s face. Eyes wide open, a device was placed into his claws, and the being was carried away with the winds.

High above, the being withdrew the brush that had been hanging on its side, and used it to paint the colors. It then flew towards its creation, as it sucked the old pony out from this world.

Spike examined the item in his claws: the same object that had helped him save the plane.

Bars ejected along the plane’s surface, and served as a side-ways like ladder. The clouds hovered before the plane, and the faint glisten of the water could be seen. All it would take would be one slip, and the howling winds would take him away.

One mistake, and he and all his friends would plummet to the ground.

Spike strapped the device around his waist and fasten the belt. The tank rested just an inch before his back; his fins rubbing against the device whenever Spike moved an inch. Activation handles rested just at his sides, but with a few moments of inactivity, they retreated back next to the tank, facing down.

Grabbing onto the bars, Spike legs were thrown to the sky. The tight grip prevent more of him from being taken, and all those sit-ups before bed were finally taking effect. Spike brought his legs back down to the side-ways ladder, and planted them firmly against the bars.

Spike crawled along the plane, and made it to the top. Trekking to the right wing, he hovered just above the chamber sucking away the clouds and air in its path. The sounds of gears stuck against gears seemed to be coming from it.

“The infamous chamber, eh?” Peering his head over, a goo like substance was clogging the area, and preventing the device to work. Nothing that a burst of flames couldn’t stop, but that may cause more problems than solutions.

Something came alive on Spike’s back.

Water? Not much of a help than fire, but better than nothing. Such a risk had to be taken, when the biggest risk of them all was to do nothing. Placing his faith on the feet on the bars, Spike took his claw off the plane, and onto the leather prongs on his side.

Jerking them up and down, water came the nozzle above Spike’s head. Water shot into the chamber, and the goo died away. The engine made a roar, though it still continued to run.

“Oh yea—” The winds proved stronger than his foot’s grip. Spike was ripped from the plane and thrown into the air. It was like he was gliding in the air’s surface, though he wouldn’t be suspended for long. Bits of the plane were starting to pass by him, and that second chamber still needed to be clean.

The tail of the plane came closer. The bars were much smaller. It was just in reach. With a desperate grasp, Spike reached out to the plane.

And missed.

“No!”

Wings extending out, claws resting on the prongs. Spike flapped his wings as hard as he could, flushed out as much water from the item, and with a twirl of his body, he gained some speed, and took hold of the plane’s tail.

Pulling himself onto it, he allowed a breath of relief, and crawled his way to the left wing. The wind kept howling past, desiring to take him in their grasp and fly with the current. There wish was almost met: the plane began to dive down, and half of Spike’s body flew up.

“No no!” Spike continued to pull himself along the plane’s length, with his legs dangling above him. Those push-ups seemed to be coming in handy as well, but they weren’t as important as the thing developing in Spike’s mind.

Something he wasn’t aware he even had.

A will to go on.

to help his friends.

He made it to the left wing, where the same type of goo persisted in the chamber. Only, Spike couldn’t grab at the proddles, or he would be ripped away into the sky in a second. But he couldn’t just hand on until the plane crashed.

“I said that I would need to solve the problem before I could even dare the thought of falling. But I said not believing that I would have to drop afterwards. But… let’s be honest. What’s the scare of one fall, compared to the lives of the Elements? Come on, Spike.

He edged his body over the chamber.

‘You can do this.’

He threw himself over the chamber, and allowed himself to get sucked closer to the chamber. Legs hanging along its side to prevent him from being consumed, his claws shot to the proddles, and shot water into the chamber.

And once again, the goo dissipate, and the engine became stronger than before.

“Oh crap.”

Spike tried to kicked off from the chamber before it could take him, and to take the fall. But as he began his fall, his wings carried him back up, and Spike could feel them enter into the chamber.

And he cried upon their entry.

The conscious spirit left his body, the strap became loose, and the item fell.

So too did the sleepy dragon.

But as wind rushed upon his back, and the sunshine in his eye. He caught the diving plane pull up, and maintain its height as it flew away without him.

They were safe. And that’s all Spike needed. His will existed for them alone, and since they were no longer in harm’s way, the dragon's eyes began to close on their own.

Spike strapped the device to his back once more, in-between his damaged wings. Most of his spines were missing, so the device rested most comfortably upon his bloodied-back. “If I use what’s left of my wings, and the water upon my decent, then maybe.”

He dived bombed down, and the ocean came into view. A piece of land looked not too far off, but to risk a landing there would not be wise. So the dragon unfurled his wings and took on the pain, as the glide helped slow his descent.

The water was close.

Jerking the nozzle, his speed decreased. Adjusting his body, Spike did all that he could to make the landing as soft as possible.

A loud splash came from the ocean, the waves rocking a nearby fishing boat. The fishers looked onwards, to the dragon floating in the water, with his blood tainting the water’s surface.

Sun.

Please shine upon me.

I carry a darkness in my soul.

And require your light.


Prologue – End