• Published 7th Jul 2016
  • 276 Views, 3 Comments

The Forgotten Years, The Adventures Of Fury And Dash - 21latenighter



What happened to Fury Flight after he left the royal service, and gave up his old life...

  • ...
 3
 276

The Great Falls and orange feathers

If Firefly's hearing was anything like she said it was, she was going to be furious. The bed was old and had developed a creak. He hardly slept, mostly tossed and turned all night, but he wouldn't tell Dash that, she slept like a baby. Their room sounded like a creaking monster, and don't forget Dash's hilarious snore and him moaning trying to find a spot to sleep. If she had any ears at all, she would be crawling all over them as soon as they walked out the bedroom door. Fury arched his back until it popped and then started with his hooves, first the front legs, stretching out and hearing them pop. He then started on his rear legs, one at a time. He then stretched out his wings, wincing as the fragile bones popped. He then rose from the bed and walked quietly across the room to the door so not to wake Dash up, who was still sleeping peacefully on the bed. He still couldn't believe how she could sleep on that bed. He opened the door slowly and closed it quietly before walking straight into Firefly's nose.

"Having fun last night were we?" Firefly asked seriously. "I don't care if you are royalty, if you hurt my dash, I'll kick your ass," she said as serious as she could be.

"And good morning to you too," Fury said sleepily. "That bed is seriously uncomfortable, tried all night to sleep. That cloud needs to be put out of it's misery, I don't know how Dash could sleep at all."

"So you mean you didn't," Firefly started.

"No, we didn't," Fury replied as he began to look for the restroom.

"At the end of the hallway," Firefly pointed. "I swear, all stallions are the same."

"What happened to..." Fury started.

"An accident at the weather factory, he was a fire fighter, and they responded to an explosion call there. Three went in, but only one came out. Her father gave his life to get the last fire fighter out," Firefly said as Fury stopped and looked at a photo on the wall of a Stallion with a rainbow mane holding Rainbow on his shoulders on one of the streets of Cloudsdale. They looked like they were watching a parade of some sort. "It was taken when Cloudsdale was on the list for possible places for the Equestria games. Rainbow was just a foal, and she was so let down when they cancelled on Cloudsdale. This was taken about a year before the accident," Firefly said as she stood beside Fury. "So tell me Fury Flight, you told me how you two met, but why have you stayed with Rainbow all these years. I know alicorns live forever and she is just a Pegasus, so why?"

"Even when I was an alicorn, a love that is as true and deep as the love we share is once in a lifetime. I knew that I would watch her age and eventually die why I never seemed to age a day, but it was worth it to be in the life of one of the greatest ponies I have ever met. She hides behind that wall of toughness and awesomeness, but once you sneak around it, you find a mare who is loving and caring and even a bit sensitive. She is the reason that I gave it all up, the guardian and my immortality. I will age and die with her now, and I can say that knowing that we are both doomed has made her even more beautiful, both inside and out," Fury said to Firefly as he walked to the bathroom. He noticed tears starting to roll off of her cheeks, so he figured it was time to leave. He went to the restroom and done his business, and then washed his hooves and returned to the hallway, but it was empty. Both doors were open, and he heard Dash's voice down the stairs, complaining because he had left without even waking her. She would never change, and he loved it. He crept down the stairs silently and flew quietly just above the ground to make as little noise as possible. The voices were coming from the kitchen so he flew towards the door when he heard one of them walking towards him. He quickly moved to the side of the door, just out of view as Dash walked out.

"I can't believe he just got up and walked out without Wha.. mmmm..." Dash started to say before Fury lept at her. He caught her and gave her the biggest good morning kiss he could. "Mmhmm, Fury, I uh...., uh....., damn it!" Rainbow half said, half yelled as she turned back into the kiss. They kissed for a few moments more before dash broke away. "What did you do? You are awfully energetic this morning," Dash said as she looked up to Fury with dreamy eyes.

"I don't know, I didn't sleep at all hardly last night, must be because you look twenty percent hotter with that bed mane," Fury said as he winked at Dash, who began to run her hoof through her mane.

"What, oh my, how original, did you come up with that yourself," Dash said sarcastically as Fury began to giggle. "My mane is a wreck isn't it though," Dash said after she took her hoof out of her mane. "I guess I'd better go brush it," Dash said as she used her hoof to quickly style her mane to it's usual swagness. "There we go, now I look twenty percent cooler," She said looking at Fury with a "This is how it goes" look.

"Alright love birds, breakfast is ready," Firefly said as she walked into the café area with three bowls of oatmeal balancing on her left wing.

"How do you do that mom?, and is there anything besides oatmeal?" Dash asked hungrily as she held the door open for Firefly.

"Oh Dash, this just comes with time in the business, and no, there is just oatmeal this morning. The Great Falls are on the other side of Manehatten, and that is a six hour flight alone without air traffic. Haven't you ever Flown that far and long before?" Firefly asked as she carried the three bowls over to the first booth where they had ate last night.

"What, not even toast or eggs? And no mom, I haven't flown that far before in one shot, but I'm sure I'll be alright with just a little extra," Dash said, rubbing her belly.

"Dash, if you eat too much, you will cramp up and crash a few hours in," Firefly said seriously as she began to eat.

"Fine, I'll just eat this and go hungry until we get to Manehatten," Dash said grumpily as she started to inhale her own oatmeal.

Neither of them had even noticed Fury as he enjoyed his meal and slipped away from the table and had walked over to the door. He had received a letter from Luna and didn't want to disturb them.

Dear Brother,

We are glad that you have introduced yourself to Dash's parents. We will give you a gift when you reach the falls to celebrate your engagement. We patiently wait for your reply,
with love,
Luna

Fury read the words from the letter and wondered what she had planned for them at the falls? Would she surprise them and show up there with Dash's friend, Pinkie Pie? That mare needed to find caffeine free stuff and less sugar, She was always so hyper and full of energy. Dash interrupted his thinking, again.

"Fury, what are you doing over there?" she asked suspiciously.

"Thought I saw a wonderbolt walking by and wanted to see if they were coming in," Fury lied.

"Ooh, a wonderbolt in here, there hasn't been a celebrity in here forever, in fact, there hasn't been a lot of ponies in here at all. This place has been starting to go downhill since Blitz passed away, and I have been forced to get rid of everypony but myself," Firefly said sadly.

"I think we can help change that," Fury said as he walked back over to the table. "I mean, if a former captain of the wonderbolts ate here and said the food was delicious, and a former prince said the same thing, you would be set for life."

"Oh, thank you Fury, but I think that this place has seen it's last great rush hour. I have thought about retiring and closing this place up or selling it and moving to a cloud cottage out by your friends parents house, Fluttershy," Firefly said.

"Oh alright, but don't say that I didn't try," Fury said as he sat down at the booth. He was enjoying the morning, but wasn't looking forward to the flight ahead of them. Dash was obviously enjoying the day with her mom, and he didn't want to separate them for their trip. "You know Dash, we could leave tomorrow so you could spend the rest of the day with your mom," he said to dash, who nearly spit out her breakfast.

"Really, mom, does that mean I can get more breakfast!" Dash said excitedly.

"Yes Dash, you can have more breakfast then," Firefly said as she walked back into the kitchen to wash the dishes and make more breakfast for Rainbow.

"Thank you Fury, what are you going to do today? I know you didn't do this so you could spend today with my mom," Dash said after Firefly walked into the kitchen.

"I thought I might walk around today, you know, see the city a little. It's been a while since I seen Cloudsdale and I thought I would watch the world go round for a while, it's been a little bit and I do miss watching the world run," Fury said to Dash as she began to smile a mile wide smile that would make Pinkie jealous.

"Ok, don't have too much fun without me," Dash said as she bounded happily into the kitchen. Fury turned and walked to the front door and left the café. The smell of coffee and factory smoke filled his nostrils as he walked out into the street. He watched as pegasi flew to their jobs at the weather factory and other jobs throughout Cloudsdale. He took off from the front door and flew casually towards a cloud that overlooked the city. He would watch the city for the rest of the day, or he would of if a letter didn't pop out of nowhere.

"What's this?" Fury said as he looked down at the letter on the cloud before him. "A letter for Rainbow, this can't be good. I guess I had better go find her," he said as he took off the cloud and flew back towards the café. When he arrived, Dash and Firefly were in the kitchen baking cookies and other treats.

"Hi Fury, mom decided to make cookies for a going away party tonight. She invited all my friends and the princesses. She even let me help make them!" Dash said. She was covered head to toe with flour and sprinkles.

"Are you sure your not trying to be a cookie dash?" Fury said as he eyed up Dash's body.

"Hey now, I have been making cookies all day and I only got into the flour three times," Dash said as she shook some of the flour off of her.

"I can tell," Fury said as he used his wing to block his eyes from the flour and sprinkles now flying off of the cyan Pegasus' body. He pulled out the letter and gave it to Dash. "This came for you a little while ago," he said.

"How did you get this, this is the same kind of letters that Twilight got from Celestia", Rainbow said. She opened the scroll and read the letter aloud.

hello rainbow dash,

Scootaloo here, I am just writing you to say that the orphanage decided that since I am an adult now, that I am going to be out on my own. I don't have a place to go tonight, but don't worry, Twilight said she would let me stay with her until I found a place.
gotta fly,
Scoots

"What, scoots is homeless! We have to go back to Canterlot tonight Fury!" Dash said worriedly.

"You know that these are the days that I really love you Dash, I'll get our things," Fury said as he walked up the stairs to get the bags that they had brought from Canterlot. They would have to put their trip on hold, but that didn't bother him. He didn't want to fly clear over there today anyhow. As he reached the top of the stairs, a thought occurred to him. Twilight and her friends were coming over tonight for their going away party, he could just send her a letter and have her bring Scootaloo's things with her. He turned around and trotted back down the stairs where Dash was now washing her hooves. "Dash, you know that Twilight is coming over with the rest of your friends tonight right?" he said to her as she dried her hooves.

"Yea, and your point is?" Dash said confused.

"My point is that we can write a letter to her and have her bring Scootaloo and her things with her here tonight," Fury said with a grin, not realizing that he basically spilled the beans about his magic.

"The mail ponies won't make it over there....., Wait, how did you get that letter anyhow. The mail doesn't run for another hour?" Dash said, beginning to squint her eyes.

"Ok, ok, I apologize in advance for this Dash, but I kept a little magic for small errands like mail and stuff," Fury squeaked out.

"WHAT!" Dash exploded, " YOU STILL HAVE YOUR MAGIC!!!"

Fury cringed at the sound of Dash's screams, but he knew he deserved it. "Only a small portion Dash, just enough to send and receive letters and stuff, nothing more," he said, trying to calm down the furious Pegasus. Firefly was looking at Fury with the same look of hatred that Dash was giving him. He knew he had hurt her, but he didn't want Dash to think that he kept his magic to secretly keep up his hero work, but that was probably exactly what she was thought. "I am sorry Dash, really I am. I know how much I must of hurt you," he said softly.

"Hurt! Hurt Fury! NO! hurt is telling me that you don't like my mother or my family, This is just stupid. Do you think that I would never find out Fury, or were you just going to keep up your little game of charades and keep me blind while you go out and play hero!" Dash said with a fire in her voice that Fury didn't want to see again.

"No Dash, it's not like that. Yes, I was keeping it from you, but only because I didn't want you to react like this right away. I was going to tell you slowly," Fury said apologetically. Dash's face began to lighten up, but then went right back to its rigid state. She turned and stormed up the stairs and slammed the bedroom door shut.

"I think you should leave, you have done enough here for one day," Firefly said rudely.

Fury hung his head and walked out the front door. "You really did it this time Fury," he thought as he walked up the street. She probably wouldn't talk to him for a while and he knew he more than deserved that. "There is only one thing to do now that will even begin to salvage this mess," Fury said to himself. He stretched out his wings and took off from the cloud and began the flight towards Ponyville.

Firefly heard a sniffle come from Dash's room upstairs, so she walked up the stairs and lightly tapped on the door.

"Go away Fury," Dash Sobbed quietly.

Firefly gently opened the door and peered in, "Hello dear, mind if I come in?" she asked gently. Dash slowly nodded her head and Firefly walked over to the bed. She got ready to speak, but dash started in.

"What have I done mom, I all but told him that we were through," she sobbed. The sobs continued and rocked her body with shudders. Firefly reached out and held Dash her close to her hooves.

"It's ok dear, its not your fault. I'm sure he meant what he said and did in a good way, but he still lied to you and deserved everything he got," she said, soothing Dash out of her tears.

"Thanks mom, but I still feel that I messed up, I mean what if he doesn't come back?" Dash started, but Firefly cut her off and scolded her.

"Don't you dare think like that, I haven't seen a stallion more in love, he'll come back, don't you worry," Firefly said. She slowly began to sing a lullaby from her childhood that she used to sing to Dash when she was a foal.

Sleep now, rest now,
close your eyes and dream away,
Enter now the world of sleep,
enter now the world of dreams.

She sang softly as Dash's eyes began to droop and she slowly fell asleep.

Fury arrived in ponyville around noon and found it a bustling mess, Ponies were storming the markets and buying as much food as they could carry back to their houses. He flew to the apple farm where he would start his search for Scootaloo.

When he arrived at Sweet Apple Acres, Big Mac was at the front of the orchard tending to the younger apple trees, while Applejack was far off in the back. She was pruning the larger and more impressive trees and getting ready for the first harvest the next week. Big Mac nodded at Fury when he approached. "Hey Big Mac," Fury said to the large red stallion.

"Howdy Fury, what brings ya round these parts?" Big Mac said with a strong country twang.

"I was wondering if Scootaloo might be here?" Fury asked. Big Mac nodded and pointed one of his massive hooves towards the old treehouse that served as their clubhouse years ago.

"They've been there since this morning," Mac said. "Said she was looking for a home or something."

"Dash sent, well, I came to get her, we are going to take her in until she can find a place," Fury said. Mac nodded and went back to his work. Fury Walked towards the old oak tree that held the treehouse. He heard some laughing and talking coming from the house. He walked up the ramp that ran up to the treehouse. It looked like it had seen better days as it was holy and half rotten. At the sound of his hoovesteps, the treehouse went silent. He knocked on the door three times, and the door shot open and a light green earth pony stood in the doorway.

"Um...., hello," Apple Bloom squeaked out. "Can I help you?" she said nervously.

"Hello, Big Mac said I could find Scootaloo in here," Fury said nervous. It would be a lot easier if he knew the fillies name, but he wasn't up to date on all of Dash's friends.

"Well, I don't know if she is here right now, maybe I should go and ask Applejack where..." The Filly started, but the sound of Scootaloo's voice stopped her and made her cringe.

"Fury, what are you doing here?" The young mare's voice came from behind Applebloom. "Applebloom, this is Rainbow Dash's stallion friend, Fury. Where is Rainbow Dash anyway?"

"Dash is still in Cloudsdale, she sent me to pick you up. You are going to go with us on a little trip we are taking," Fury said to the orange Pegasus.

"Really, wait, why didn't Rainbow Dash come here and get me herself?" Scootaloo asked.

"Well we had a little argument this morning and needed to be apart for a little bit," Fury said. He wasn't going to go into detail with the young mare, even if she was basically Dash's sister. "If you have anything to get before we leave, better get it now," Fury said as he turned to walk away. "I will be over by Big Mac when you are ready to leave," he said as he walked down the ramp.

"I, I don't have anything to take, so I am ready to leave when you are," Scootaloo said as she followed him down the ramp to the ground.

"Do you need a lift or are you able to fly?" Fury asked Scootaloo honestly. The last time he had seen her, she had been a young filly and was unable to fly.

Scootaloo's cheeks blushed and she looked Fury directly in the eyes. "Yes I can fly! after you left her I trained for six months until I flew across ponyville!" she growled.

"My bad Scootaloo, it is just the last time I saw you, you were unable to fly," Fury said apologetically.

"It's alright, now let's get going, I can't wait to see Rainbow Dash again, it's been like six months since I seen her!" Scootaloo said as she lept into the air. Her wings opened up and she left Fury sitting on the ground in dust and orange feathers. He spit out a feather that had found it's way into his mouth and took off after her.

They arrived in Cloudsdale about an hour later and Scootaloo was wide eyed, taking in the sights of the city in the sky. He guided her to the bakery where Dash was staring out the front window with a grin so wide he thought it would break the world around her. The two walked in the front door of the bakery and Dash lept at Fury and knocked him to the ground, covering him with Kisses. "I am so sorry for this morning Fury. I over reacted and should of thought it through, but, you know how I am!" She half said, half wept to Fury.

He smiled and returned one of her many kisses. "I am glad that you calmed down Dash, I thought I might of lost you this morning," he said through a single tear that ran down his cheek.

"I will never leave you Fury, not for the sun nor moon," Dash said, returning to her usual tough state, seeing that Scootaloo was watching. "And hello Scoots, how are you squirt?" She said to the orange Pegasus.

"I'm fine Rainbow Dash, but what are we doing in Cloudsdale, I thought you said you hated it here," Scootaloo said, eyeing the décor of the café. "Gee, someone has a bigger collection of stuff on you than I do!" she said in a non creepy way.

"Scoots, I want you to meet Firefly, she's my mom and this is her café," Dash said proudly. "And now she is your mom too."

Words couldn't describe the look of joy on Scootaloo's face when Dash told her she had a mother now, and a family. "My own mother?" Scoots squeaked out.

"Yep, she is all yours squirt," Dash said with a look of pride.

Scootaloo lept into the pink mare's hooves and gave her a Pinkie Pie like hug, nearly crushing the Pegasus. "My Very own mom, and my sister and brother in law!" she said through tears of joy.

"This mother..... needs to breathe..." Firefly said through huffed breaths.

"Oh, sorry mom," Scootaloo said excitedly and released Firefly from her embrace.

"Ok, now that this is out of the way, who is ready to decorate the café for the party tonight?" Firefly said, eyeing Scoots.

Scoots jumped around and hollered "ME, ME, OH, OH PICK ME!!!" Firefly made a face hoof before choosing Scootaloo. She then motioned with her eyes for Fury and Rainbow to get out of there and talk it out.

The two pegasi walked up the stairs and into Dash's bedroom, in which Fury couldn't help but laugh at the surroundings again, which made Dash blush a little and roll her eyes. She motioned for him to set down with her on the bed, in which he did, and then began to ask her questions. "Alright Fury, tell me what all you have been keeping from me these last couple months?" She asked seriously.

"Alright Dash, you deserve to know<" Fury began. "I fought a god from before time and died and came back to life, Lost my powers and set out on a journey with you."

"OOOKay, now with more details," Dash said, the slightest bit of agitation in her voice.

"Alright, so you know about me and Twilight working together, but you don't know against who, but it is a story for another time. I know what you really want to know is why I have magic, but no horn. The answer to that question is I didn't let my horn completely disappear. you see," Fury said, revealing a small bump on his forehead. "That is what is left of my horn, and all the magic I have is kept there, which is only sending and receiving magic spells, that's it. No teleportation, no levitation and no complex spells," Fury said as he watched Dash's Face begin to puzzle.

"So, just mailing spells then?" Dash said.

"Yes dear, and if you are wondering, I have only sent letters to Luna, describing my meeting of Firefly. I only plan on using it when we need it Dash," he said, watching her face relax back.

"Ok, now what about this other story. I want to hear about it," Dash said over excitedly.

"I think it would be better told around a campfire or something and besides, your friends will be arriving anytime now," Fury said, hoping Dash would buy it and drop the topic, as he really didn't want to talk about it just yet.

A large bang was heard follow by a laugh that could only be described as Pinkie Pie. "They're here, come on Fury, let's get down there!" Dash said overjoyed as she bolted out of the door down the stairs.

Fury got off the bed slowly before sighing, though that Pinkie was annoying, she knew when to make an entrance. He walked down the stairs to find the café full of ponies. Dash's five friends had showed up, along with Big mac and his sister, why couldn't he remember her name, it wasn't like he and Dash weren't over there every weekend playing games and visiting. There was some of the wonderbolts, or former wonderbolts that had flew with Rainbow. Then there was the two sisters, his two sisters. They had happily made themselves apart of the games, Celestia had even began a game of pin the tail on the pony. She had changed since returning from the Beyond, but he guessed dying did that to a pony, made them realize what life was really all about. It wasn't about the bits or the kingdom or even the name you made, but the ponies that you spent your limited and precious time with, and how you spent it with them. He himself had changed since he had entered the afterlife not once, but a couple of times. He had lightened up about time, and had even found a sense of humor inside himself. He had also learned what it truly meant to be in love, When you weren't basically a god, you saw the world differently. He walked out into the café and enjoyed the festivities for the evening, they would begin their journey for the Great falls eventually, but for now, he was going to live a little.