• Published 15th Jun 2016
  • 3,029 Views, 73 Comments

The Element of Kindness - BlueHeartTattoo



An nameless pegasus rans away from the Queen of Changelings after being imprisoned 20 years. After meeting a group of fillies, an draconeqqus and a princess, nopony knew she would be connected to a mysterious disappearance. AU Inspired by Snow White

  • ...
5
 73
 3,029

The Kindling

As the sun was yet to rise over the twilight sky, an eerie green glow leaked through the Queen’s chambers and every changeling in the castle knew exactly what it meant.

One lone maid in waiting stand nervously at the Queen’s chambers doors until she heard the hoofsteps of the general and Gypsum approaching.

“It happened again?” The general asked hastily.

The maid explained anxiously before explaining, “I don’t know how long it has been this time, but I’d checked on her half an hour ago.”

“Had you used the sleep paralysis spell on her last night?” Gypsum asked.

“Yes, comrade, I did. But this is the third time this week. I may have reason to think that this hunt for Nameless is taking an effect on her.”

“You did the right thing calling us here,” The general said to the maid with a nod.

“I know the queen trusts you the most out of any commander here. I just hope you’ll be able to get her to rest.”

“Thank you. You may return to your duties now.”

And with that, the servant hurried down the stairs, leaving the two soldiers alone.

Meanwhile, Chrysalis was at a corner, far away from her bed as she focused on the glowing crystal ball in her hooves. Her eyes were sore tired and her body moved as if it were an empty shell; but she didn’t care about that as long she stared at the subject showing within the crystal.

Green smoke swirling inside of the orb showed an image of Nameless sleeping peacefully in a set of beds. The queen watched her as she slowly breathes, her pink swirl covering the pillows and her body all snuggled inside the covers.

She couldn’t get her mind off the little pony. Ever since she got away, she became more than determined to have her found and killed. She had done whatever what’s in her power that she can grasp into to initiate the search for her. New recruits for her army, more sentries on corners of harvesting grounds and large, hazardous searches on every part of Equestria; But even with all that, it’s still wasn’t enough!

She’d slowly descended to obsession, even to the point she can’t stop seeing her everywhere she turns. She could even feel the power steady inside of her victim now, as she has been infected by the elements’ power many times in the past.

A deep, raspy female voice echoed through her head as she kept on staring at the crystal ball intensively:

“You must carry on this promise, Chrysalis. Wear this crown with pride. Be powerful. Be strong. Make our race great again and have the world at your hooves--for your dynasty, for me.”

“My Queen?”

Chrysalis jumped when she felt a hoof on her shoulder and turned to see the General and Gypsum in her room.

“Ah, general,” Chrysalis said with ease, “You came to my chambers unannounced.”

“Your maid reported us here,” The general stated, “Your grace, you must have some rest.”

“I have better things to do,” Chrysalis said uninterested.

"You’re not feeling well. You must rest down, get some peace.”

“Not as while that little brat is out there, I shall not have any peace.”

The general sighed in defeat, “Then I’m sorry for this, highness. Gypsum.”

At his signal, Gypsum ignited her horn, sending light green sparkles that floated around their queen. Chrysalis lost control of her crystal ball as her vision blurred and her body slowly turn victim to the sleeping paralysis spell.

Then gently and slowly, the general and his comrade levitated the queen’s unconscious body towards her bed. With covers drawn across her body, they finally left her chambers.

As soon as they closed the set of doors, they mentally exhaled from exhaustion.

“General,” Gypsum spoke softly, “I don’t think we can handle this much longer.”

The general hushed her while guiding her away from the doors, “Maybe talk somewhere where her majesty’s won’t hear us.”

They’d walked as far enough from the Queen’s chambers and into a hallway that leads to the artillery room. Gypsum decided once again to voice her reasons, “General, Nameless has been hiding for a week now. And while she is still out there, we have been running frantically all over the castle accomplishing nothing!”

The general frowned and replied to her sternly, “Gypsum, I am doing the best I can. You know how the hunting grounds are now. We can’t raise suspicion onto ponykind or else they will retaliate. We can’t afford to cross our boundaries; I’ve already pushed them far enough that it’ll risk them getting caught.”

“But not hard enough to finish executing our prisoner?”

This was a huge sting for the general, since he too regretted not being able to kill Nameless as soon as he could’ve. But he had to remain strong to prove his point, “I understand your concerns. You are determined—far more than any soldier in our rank. But you’re young and need to take caution. If we don’t think about our next plan thoroughly, we might risk putting our lives in danger—including the queen’s.”

Gypsum took this as offense and retaliated back, “Who cares about our lives? That’s what we live for, right? To serve our queen? To protect our kingdom? To make our race great and powerful no matter the cost or the risk?! Isn’t that what Queen Regalis tried to die for?!”

Then the air turn deathly silent as the general gave Gypsum a dangerous glare, forcing her to slightly back away.

“That’s enough for now, Gypsum,” He said with his voice dark and deep, “You may now return to your post.”

He started to walk away until she called out, “But general—“

“I said enough.”

She remained stunned as he walked away from her sight. Then her startled alarm turned to one of frustration.

If he’s not going to do a thing about her, she thought to herself in anger, Then I’ll just have to do it myself.


Fluttershy opened her eyes tiredly, feeling the warmth of the sun on her face. Slowly, she sat up from the covers of the bed and stretched her body as she noticed the small desk clock on the nightstand striking 11:11. She must’ve so tired from the previous days that she overslept.

Then she remembered what used to be the cause of her slight sleep deprivation--And of what mostly cured it.

Much had changed her perspective yesterday; with the young members of the Cutie Mark Crusaders’ struggle for their special talents and with Discord’s rescue from the hydra.

Discord honestly surprised her the most. From thinking about him ever since then, she started to wonder what new surprises lies within him. Being not the monster she thought of to be; but something unimaginable.

She looked about at the small clock, realizing it’s been 5 minutes past and that there was a note right next to it.

Taking the letter and opening it up, Fluttershy reads:

Out on an errand. Will probably have the place for yourself today. Be back soon- Apple Bloom

Guessing from the note, Fluttershy imagined that the errand had something to do about Diamond Tiara and their fight yesterday. The girls really seemed upset about how she mentioned her last night and she was certain they needed to do something about it to make it up to her. But yet again, it could possibly be something else entirely different. Besides, it’s not her place to think about what the others are doing; she was only guessing about the possibilities.

Wiping her mind clean from wishful thinking, she got off the bed, soothed the tangles in her hair and made her way down the stairs.

Once she was in the main room, she thought about cleaning whatever what needed to be clean and taking a peek inside the animal books Applejack had sent her to be her ideal way to spend the start of the day.

As she grabbed the broom from the kitchen, she didn’t notice a familiar face floating near the window.

Discord has been watching over her ever since the crack of dawn. She was still asleep at the time he arrived and watched her peaceful slumber from afar—a fact that he tried to deny, as creepy and awkward it sounded to him. But he didn’t felt the reason to leave as his interest for this mare is what convinced him to stay.

He thought back of yesterday’s events and the mare of his attention. Her face of awe and innocence never left out of his mind and continued to bug him. He couldn’t get a full rested sleep just from thinking about that face relentlessly. He thought that, from watching her from afar, he could satisfy his urges and hopefully put his confusingly annoying predicament to rest.

Now watching her fully awake and moving from spot to spot cleaning whatever she can find, he was still fascinated how this mare was able to make an impact on him and somehow manages to annoy him.

Guess this is payback for I did to her the past few days, He thought, Seem fair enough. Kind of ironic, actually.

A scream and the sound of shattering glass erupted and Discord jumped at the sound, making him lose his balance and fell down.

Fluttershy had taken notice at Discord near the window when she was dusting a wall shelve near the couch. She held a lamp in her hooves to clean underneath the area, but when she screamed, she accidentally dropped it and it shattered to pieces. But she didn’t seem to notice the mess as she witnessed Discord’s fall and rush to the door and outside.

She found him at the other side of the treehouse, lying on the ground rubbing his head and groaning in pain.

“Are you hurt?” She said, kneeling down to his level and touched his shoulder.

Discord went stiff at the soft touch and tried to brush it away, “Don’t worry about me, I’m fine. Just a simple bang in the head, that’s all.”

Fluttershy was startled from Discord was here, but she was puzzled at the same time, “What were you doing there?”

Discord’s body froze completely.

Caught like a foal with a cookie jar. Great, Discord. You should’ve turned invisible.

Thinking of a better lie, Discord replied back to her nervously, “Well, I—uh…. Nothing. Nothing at all. Literally nothing. I had nothing much better to do today, so I try to find something new. You know, like walking in the trail, find a few new trinkets to collect, or—“

“Or spying on ponies?”

“No!” Discord took how strong he reacted to that and cleared his throat, “I mean, no. Actually, I was only checking on you to see if you’re okay. From the attack yesterday—That—That’s what I meant.” He cringed when he told that lie, but it was the best he can come up that was slightly closer to the reason why he was here at the first place. He had also cringed at that stutter his idiotic mouth had conducted.

“Oh. Um, I’m doing fine. Thank you,” Fluttershy replied awkwardly.

“Good! Now that’s out of the way, I best be going. I’m think I want to try…” he paused for a moment, improvising another lie using his eccentric creativity, “scuba-diving… with monks today.”

He was prepared to snap his fingers until….

“Wait!”

He was caught surprise at Fluttershy’s abrupt call and so did her for a moment.

For a brief moment, as Discord was explaining his sudden appearance, an idea lunged into her head. It might be something she’ll regret but since he is here and she had nothing else to do alone in the house, she felt like she had to try--She would have to try to get to know him more to see who Discord truly is.

Mustering the strength that she needed, she asked in timidly, “You… you did say you have nothing to do today, right?”

Discord blinked for a moment before replying back, “I…Yes, I did say that.”

“Well, the girls are running an errand and I’m probably going to be alone all day. So… if you want to, you could… come inside and… we could find something we can do… t-together?”

Discord was bewildered by this invitation. That little misadventure the other day must’ve done a lot to have her inviting him inside with her. But yet again, wasn’t he supposed to not get involved with her?!

“You’re inviting me inside?” Discord asked, “After everything I’ve done to you last time I was here?”

“Well… I just thought that you could use some company. And since I am to live here, we could get to know each other a little better. Though….nothing personal, but…. you might need to limit your use magic inside the treehouse,” she hoped that in that last sentence that she didn’t offend him in any way.

Discord was becoming more bewildered by the minute and he had the mind to reject this offer. But then one more look of her face with her big timid eyes and small smile and he was completely turned over.

Geez, how much more of this can I take?! Well, there’s not much that I can do, is there?

Sighing from exhaustion and annoyance, he responded, “Maybe… I can stay for a bit. But I can’t promise you limiting my magic.”

“That’s fair enough. Come on,” Taking his claw with her hoof, she guided him to the door and inside the treehouse.

As he felt her hoof in his paw as she led him inside, Discord started to feel out of place once again. Accepting this invitation and being around this mare is the price he must pay dearly for his stupidity.

As they stepped inside, Fluttershy saw the shattered mess on the floor, “Oh, I forgot about the lamp. Um, take a seat. Make yourself comfortable.”

Fluttershy walked to the kitchen where she grabbed a broom and dustpan from a small shelved closet, but when she returned back to the couch, she saw the shattered lamp has disappeared.

She looked everywhere in the room and then she saw, on the shelf, the lamp that was repaired, with the pieces glued together like new. But instead of a simple, oval shape with the simple light purple, it was instead shaped exactly like her guest, with small pieces of orange and red glued to it as well.

She turned to Discord, who was sitting on it couch and staring at a different direction.

“It looks better that way,” he said, trying to sound aloof, “Plus, you wouldn’t want to get your little hooves cut.”

As interesting the lamp’s new look was, Fluttershy appreciated the gesture despite the rough expression that she could tell he’s trying to hide, “Thank you.”

Discord peeked at her over his shoulder with a small, embarrassed blush before looking away. Oh, what am I putting myself into?

Fluttershy went to put the broom and dustpan away. “Do you need anything? Are you thirsty?” Fluttershy called from across the room.

Discord glanced at her direction, “You sure know how to give a pony hospitality.”

Fluttershy stiffen as she thought back her times of servitude, “It’s sort of a something I learned back where I’m from,” she tried to change the subject by asking again, “Want some water?”

“No thanks, I can conjure up my own beverages.”

With the snap of his fingers, a glass cup, a cloud of cotton candy and a citrus juicer materialized out of thin air. Grabbing the pink cloud and putting on top of the juicer, he pressed down its sharp spike, juicing all the chocolate milk into the cup until it had filled all the way to the top.

Fluttershy recognized both the cotton candy and the beverage from the other day when he had invaded her new home. Despite being an unpleasant memory, she was curious, “You drink that a lot, don’t you?”

“Well, it is one of my favorites,” Discord stated, throwing away the juicer and the cotton candy and suddenly disappeared against the wall, “Right next to literal bubble tea.”

He glanced at her curious expression and scoffed before he can drink from his glass, “Why the wide-eyed look? It’s not like you never had chocolate milk before.”

"Actually, I didn’t.”

Discord nearly choked and spit the liquid back to his glass as soon as he heard that, “YOU never had chocolate milk?!”

Fluttershy glanced away shyly, “Never got a chance to.”

He eyed her suspiciously as he wiped the liquid off his face, “You sure don’t know a lot of things, do you?”

Fluttershy was became nervous and decided to say something that was partially a truth and a lie, “I was raised in a very sheltered home.”

Things are starting to get a little too weird, even for him. He clearly can see that whenever he mentions or ask about her home, she would get uncomfortable and try to change the subject. Not to mention lying about her answers; there was no doubt that she was doing that. Being the way that he is, he really can’t resist knowing secrets; and so far whatever she is hiding from him, it must be somewhat interesting to him.

Fluttershy then spoke out, hoping to break the awkward silence between them, “Do you like books?”

Discord found this change of subject strange but he decides to play alone, “That depends?”

“Well, I was planning to look through a few books that… a friend gave me and--if that’s okay--we can do it together,” she didn’t want to bring up Applejack to make him uncomfortable; she didn’t want him to think if she’s planning to tell the authorities. She needed to have him trust her.

He raised an eyebrow at this, “Can’t you read on your own?”

"I can read… a little,” Fluttershy recalled, “My mother didn’t like the idea of me reading. But I’m okay on just looking at the pictures.”

These vague, juicy and yet disturbing little details are just screaming attention for him and he needs to know. He could confront about this but if he did, she would try to make up some excuse before changing the subject again. He just needs to find a way to have her confess all of her secrets without threatening her like last time.

But then an idea popped up. This might not help his “keeping his distance” tactic, but it’s the only way to go.

“You know, I can teach you how to read.”

Fluttershy grew surprised, “You what?”

“Oh, I can. But only under two conditions.”

Then her surprise disappeared and turned into cautious, “What is it?”

“Well, my dear, it is very simple. First thing: you just need to come over to my place.”

Her eyes widen with interest, “Your place?”

“Yes. I really did mean it when I said that I live everywhere in Equestria. But under some circumstances, I’d created something that would make traveling a little easier for me. So far no pony knows about it but I hope you can keep it a secret. But you must understand that once you agreed to come, you’re also agreeing to the second condition.”

“Which is?”

“You would tell me the truth and everything you know about the changelings.”

Fluttershy’s face grew white while Discord started to smirk at her reaction.

“You really think I’m buying all your pretty little lies?” he teased.

Fluttershy became nervous and she couldn’t find a way out of this. “You don’t know what you’re asking.”

“Another reason to make me want to know. But of course if you don’t really trust me or that you rather had your little secrets to yourself than to educate yourself, then it’s all up to you.”

“No, I—“

Fluttershy felt stuck. She wanted to learn about the animals in her books but she doesn’t want to reveal her past to him. If he didn’t save her before, he might go to use them as a way to attack her in some way. But she has trusted him this far and he hasn’t done one thing to harm her. There was also the fact that she can’t depend on reading carefully to herself. The only words that she can make out were the same poem that was on that ripped page she held onto back at that cell. If her cutie mark depended on her ability to read and learn more about animals, then she just going to put more trust in him.

Inhaling slowly, she responded, “I’ll go with you and tell you the truth.”

Discord grinned and got off of the couch, “Great! Pick out the book you want, I’ll be waiting outside.”

He snapped his talons and disappeared in a flash of light. Another flash coming from outside indicated that he’s already out there. Then she turned to the shelf and pick out her book.

Feeling the weight of this decision on her shoulders, she prayed that all will be fine at the end.


Knock-knock-knock

Knocking was heard at the door of a house that resembles like a large and elegant mansion. From outside, a voice grumbled through the doors, “I can’t believe they are lazy enough to take care of one simple task.”

The owner of the voice opened the door and saw the Cutie Mark Crusaders standing in front of her.

“Umm… hello, Mrs. Spoiled Rich,” Apple Bloom spoke out shyly.

The mare standing before them was an earth mare, with a peach-ish pink coat, purple mane and turquoise eyes along with her dark purple eyeshadow. She also wore a light blue blouse, a golden chain around her neck and had a gold diamond ring as a cutie mark.

She was staring at them with distasted, cold eyes.

“I’m Apple Bloom. We’re Diamond Tiara’s classmates.”

“Yes, I was aware of that,” Spoiled Rich stated, “I am the head of the school board. And you’re the blank flanks whom I see my little girl mingling around with.”

“Mingling?” Scootaloo whispered, confused on the vocabulary that has been used.

Apple Bloom chuckled nervously, “Eh, yes. Anyway, we were wondering if Diamond Tiara is alright.”

Spoiled Rich raised her eyebrow cynically, “What do you mean by that?”

The girls cringed at the mare’s cold stare but Sweetie Belle was brave enough to speak out to her, “We had a fight yesterday. She was really upset and we didn’t mean to push her like the way we did. We just wanted to come and apologize.”

Spoiled Rich scoffed, “For what? Giving my daughter a glimpse of your kinds’ true nature?”

The girls slightly cringed on that remark. Scootaloo was the most offended out of the others but she had to stay cool and not make things worse than it was now.

“For hurting her feelings,” Sweetie Belle clarified, “We didn’t know that what she said yesterday really means to her that much and we want to know if she’s okay.”

“She has been in her room ever since I got back home last night and my servants said that she was feeling fine. Now if you have no further business here—“

She was about to close the door until Babs blocked the doorway with her hooves, “She wasn’t fine when she ran away from us. You didn’t even bother to check on her when you got back home?”

Spoiled Rich opened the door again and gently pushed Babs back, “Get your hooves of the frame; I just had that painted.”

“Don’t you care for your daughter at all?”

Spoiled Rich was taken back of how bold this filly was before she resorted back to her displeasing glare, “What I do with my daughter isn’t any of your business. She needs to learn that it is important to only care those of her own standards and not those below her. She has to listen everything that she know from me in order to succeed her chance for a bright and secured future!”

“And become what?” Scootaloo scoffed, “A cold, heartless aristocratic slob who can’t see past the end of her nose?”

“Anything better than you little blanks flanks. Now I would ask you to leave before I can call the police for trespassing.”

She slammed the door onto their faces, leaving them in a mix of anger, disgust and disappointment. They slowly walked down the doorsteps and away from the mansion.

“Ugh,” Scootaloo groaned, “I can’t believe Diamond has to keep her tail up for a mother like her!”

“I know,” Apple Bloom said, “I guess we best we can do now is to wait until she come back to us.”

“And if she doesn’t?” Babs Seed said concerned.

Apple Bloom paused for sighing, “Then we’ll just hope that she does.”

From an open window, Diamond Tiara watched them walking further away from her home. She had overheard the entire conversation and was surprised how they tried to come and see her. But recalling on what she said yesterday and on her mother’s words, she doubted if they were able to forgive her and have her back on their team--And without her mother hovering over her. Slowly, she pulled the curtains as she tried to keep herself from breaking down.


“Ah! Here we are!” Discord exclaimed triumphantly.

He led Fluttershy to a secluded clearing where the ground is bear and is surrounded by trees. Fluttershy looked at the area with confusion and looked at all sides.

“I-is this it?” Fluttershy asked.

“Ah, that is only the part of it. Watch this.”

Discord held out his lion paw and then stretched it further away. Suddenly, as it went further and further, half of his arm disappeared. Fluttershy gasped in the sight of it but then grew mystified as she saw Discord reacted calmly to it.

Then he took a step sideways and then completely disappeared from her sight. Fluttershy stared at the seemingly empty space until Discord’s head popped out.

“Neat, huh? Wait ‘til you see the inside,” Discord’s paw then reappeared and held it out to her.

When he saw that Fluttershy stared at him and his hand awkwardly, he simply said, “Don’t worry, my fur is worse than my claws. Just kidding, you’ll be fine.”

Slowly, Fluttershy put her hoof in his hand and the arm quickly pulled her in.

Her eyes were closed when she felt the surging sensation as she was pulled in. When it was over and she reopened them, she noticed that the hard soiled ground is replaced by soft, grainy sand. Looking out beyond, the waves of chocolate milk was rolling onto the shore and pulling back and forth repeatedly.

And there before her was an ocean full of chaos. Trees of candy canes and pretzel sticks were sticking out of the lake while big blobs of marshmallows and fuzzy-looking lily pads lay on top of the water. She also saw a few more of his creations swarm around the ocean, including like an orange with legs of a frog, a red gummy fish and a stick of butter attached to a pair of transparent wings.

The only thing that was odd about the place of the area surrounds it. While the chocolate milk looked like it goes off for miles, the Everfree trees near the area were now blurred and transparent with an artificial sky with mystic shades of blue and glowing stars. It had seemed like they had stepped into a different dimension while the outside world remained unchanged.

Fluttershy watched in a mix of puzzlement and awe at the sight before her.

“Welcome to my little bubble!” Discord said with an impressed look on his face, “I’m guessing that you like it?”

“It’s…. unusual. A-and unique,” Fluttershy felt adding that last part in so he doesn’t think that she’s insulting him.

“Eh, I think so too. It’s not a massive and colorful it was when I ruled Equestria, but hey; you get what you have now, right?” he chuckled.

“Yes, I guess so.”

“So, for a place to sit, let’s do my thinking tree.”

“Thinking tree?”

“Yep, that’s where I lay all of my cognitive thinking there,” Discord said he hopped onto each one of these fuzzy, carpet-like lily pads, “Well, you’re coming or not?”

Fluttershy hesitantly put her hoof on the pad. But to her surprise, it was hard and solid unlike a regular plant. Then she started hop one by one, following Discord’s trail.

As he reached to the end of the path, Discord jumped off the last pad and landed on a big marshmallow that was floating near him, “Come on, slowpoke! Don’t want to drift off without ya!”

She then rushed as much as she can to reach the end. But when she got there, she stumbled at her hoofsteps and fell towards the brown water beneath her.

She was preparing for the wet sensation until she was stopped, her body wrapped around a scaly, dragon tail.

“Whoa, easy there, tiger! Wouldn’t want your coat to get a muddy stain; wouldn’t look pretty on you,” Discord meant it as a teasing matter until he thought back on the last thing he said.

Oh, why did I say that?

His tail then lifted Fluttershy away from the water and put her near him on the marshmallow.

“Thank you,” Fluttershy said gratefully, near out-of-breath from hopping.

Discord suddenly felt a nice feeling he had back there, but he quickly shook it off again as he prepare his tail into a tailspin; half of his tail spinning around like a propeller.

“Hang on!”

He quickly put his tail into the water, which drove the marshmallow blot away from shore. Fluttershy wrapped her hooves around his body, holding onto him while they were speeding through the chocolate ocean. Discord felt how tightly she held around him, but he tried not to notice it, as he was given in victim to how good it felt several times today.

Suddenly the blot came to a slow stop and Discord gestured to the tall, huge, red rubber tree in front of them, “Here we are my thinking tree!”

“It looks like it’s…. rubber?” Fluttershy queried.

“Yep, always good for clotheslines.”

“Clotheslines?”

Fluttershy yelped as Discord grabbed her arm and places her over his back, where she holds on for dear life as he climbed up to the first branch of the tree. He then used his tail to grab her again and sat her on top of a branch before sitting down on it.

Fluttershy looked in amazement of everything below her and even to the imaginary sky.

“Wow, it looks so big,” Fluttershy awed.

“It’s part of my magic. The best part for me—well two-- is that one, nothing around this area has been disturbed by my magic, so any creature can walk through here without entering it. And two, I can take a shortcut to anywhere in Equestria.”

“Anywhere in Equestria? Fluttershy said surprised.

Discord answered her question by snapping his fingers and a portal of a bustling street surrounded by ponies and tall buildings that reached the sky.

Fluttershy gawked at the sight while Discord smirked in satisfaction, “So you like it. That’s good because for a second I thought I was going to redecorate.”

“No, no, it’s fine the way it is,” she assured.

Then silence came in between them as they awkwardly sat on the branch close to each other. He was the first to break the silence, “Sooooo…. Aren’t you going to tell me?”

Fluttershy blinked “About what?”

A knowing smirk on Discord and then she reminded of their deal.

“Oh, that,” Fluttershy bit her lips, “If—if I do tell you, could you… promise not to tell anypony? The girls wanted me to keep it a secret.”

“Even if I do decide to tell, who am I going tell it to?” Discord teased very bluntly, to which from her perspective is painfully true. No pony would ever trust or believe a powerful tyrannical mage if ever given the chance.

“You have to promise otherwise.”

“Fine,” he groaned before lifting his eagle claw up, “By the name of all things chaos, I swear this on my life,” he crossed his chest with his pinkie claw, making an mark to glow shortly before it faded.

“Okay.” Fluttershy breathed in, but she’s afraid to let it all out at the same times, with her head screaming out to herself, Oh, how I really don’t want to do this.

“It’s sort of a long story. But if I may ask, did you saw anything that happened on…that day?”

Discord stared at her questioningly, “No. I only saw you running away from where you fell. I thought I told you that before I…” he chuckled for a bit, “trashed your place.”

“Oh. Well…. The reason why I was up there was because…. they…,” her throat gotten a little tight and she glanced away from Discord, “they were going to execute me.”

Discord’s eyes slowly widen in surprise. He wasn’t expecting this sudden turn of events and he’s starting to realize how dire and stressful it is for her.

After a beat of silence, he cleared his throat, “Well. I wasn’t expecting that…,” he then questioned confused, “Wait, if they were planning to execute you, wouldn’t mean you some sort of—“

“Relation, yes,” Fluttershy softly answered, “The death penalty includes everyone in the changeling kingdom, even the royal, if they were born or have been…. Accepted by the Queen.”

Discord put all pieces together and stared in awe, “….You were taken in by them?”

Fluttershy didn’t answer; she just stared at the ocean below them, trying to contain her emotion through a blank stare.

She continued, “I was told I was abandoned; They’d never told me why or how I got there. Nevertheless, they found me, and they took me to my mother where she took me in as her own. For the longest time, they made me believe that I was one of them, only deformed and disabled from my powers at birth. I was always bullied because of that and it didn’t help that I was alone all the time. It wasn’t until I…,” she paused for a moment, as if she wanted to say something but then changed her mind, “got my cutie mark that mother told me where I came from and about the ponies. She explained to me that ponies are their enemy and how that even if love is what made them strong physically, it is also their weakness. They embraced it, but it also destroys them. Ever since that day, I saw myself as different. The bullying had gotten worse than before ; even to a point that it was starting to become a daily thing to….”

At this point, she was on a verge of tears, “That sentence came out of nowhere. Nobody would tell me why I was to die for; mother sent me to her general and a few other guards for a mission, they used a spell to teleport to an unknown location and….”

Fluttershy choked and stopped talking, letting a pause in sink the words sink into the air.

Discord, who had listened with an attentive ear, was already regretting forcing her to agree to this. He knew firsthand about the abuse and the heartache that she has been feeling for who know how long. Even though it was different for him since he numbed all that pain through his powers and he learned not pay any heed to it. Seeing her in this state however, there is something inside him that can’t be explained.

When she didn’t say anything else, he stated out loud for her, “You ran away when you found the chance.”

Fluttershy slowly turned her head and looked at him with her eyes red and watery. Discord slightly flinched at the look of agony, “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to push you this far.”

Fluttershy sniffed, “That’s okay. It was bound to speak about anyway. I had no other life than the one back with mother. But…. As least, on the bright side… if I didn’t make out of this alive… I would have never see this is as chance to… start anew and be free…. Right?”

She tried to smile positively, but her emotions got her choked up in the moment that she let a few tears trickle down on her face.

Feeling somewhat brave enough, Discord scooted closer to her and had her lie on the side of his body while rubbed her shoulder with his lion paw.

“I guess so,” Discord said, comforting her as she rained down her stress and fears onto him. This was something he should’ve recoiled from, but it somehow felt right for him.


The door opened to the Cutie Mark Crusaders, feeling left down from their failed attempt to see Diamond.

Sweetie Belle cried out loudly, “Fluttershy! We’re here, just wanted to make sure you’re alright.”

When no reply came, Sweetie called out again, “Fluttershy?”

No reply came back again.

“I’ll check if she’s upstairs,” Scootaloo insisted before running up to the hidden door up the stairs.

The girls waited for Scootaloo until she came back with a worried look, “She’s not there.”

The same expression she had reflected back to the other members.


Discord and Fluttershy are still sitting on the candy cane tree in the pocket dimension. At this time after she dried her tears, Fluttershy finished telling her story.

“So she kept you for that long?” Discord asked before Fluttershy nodded, “Huh. I never thought of Chrysalis as the mothering type. I would’ve guessed she would take on her mother’s traits.”

“You knew her?” Fluttershy asked curiously.

“Eh, not really,” he replied indifferently, “I never really got to meet her because I was… occupied at the moment. But I heard some things about her. I knew her grandmother, but even on that we were never acquaintances or anything. I was never keen for allies. ”

Fluttershy was surprise to dhear that last detail, “Her grandmother?”

“Queen Cecropia the first. She was responsible for the Dark Ages before the Elements of Harmony arrived. But when she was first defeated by them, she and her daughter, Queen Regalis, went all extremists to Equestria; trying to take over the throne while also collecting as much love as they can. But each time that they failed, the worse their conditions grew. I was in stone when a few attacks happened; but from what I heard, things weren’t good for them. Regalis took risks much further than her mother, and with Chrysalis…I haven’t heard anything from her since Regalis, her mother, had passed. She probably decided to give up the fight and let the entire race become deceased.”

“You think so?”

Discord meant his last words as sarcasm, but from her response, she looked very sincere. And it confused him.

“It could be a thought. Though that day when that bearer went missing was like a miracle for her. She and her subjects are free to roam and hunting for love with a few precautions. Ponies since then are always on a lookout for them. Even some changelings, from what I heard, gave up living in the kingdom and set up a new life of their own.”

At this point, despite the treatment Fluttershy was given, she started to feel sorry for her adopted mother, “I never knew how… how much she’s been through. She must’ve felt lonely working through all of that.”

Discord raised an eyebrow, “But didn’t she keep you locked away?”

“Yes, but…. I don’t know, it’s—No pony deserves to be alone, even if I had to live with that. And she’s no exception.”

Discord is amazed of this kind heart that Fluttershy has shown. Despite being abused and sheltered by the queen of power and manipulation, she has the compassion to forgive her for all of her deeds. It’s a little hard to believe for a lord of chaos, but for a moment, he somehow found…. Hope.

But hope for what? You?

He reminded himself of who he is and he shook that feeling away.

Fluttershy noticed his frown, “You okay?”

“Yes,” Discord said clearing his throat, “I’m fine.”

“Are you sure?” Fluttershy asked, while moving closer to him, “You gotten a little silent,” she was almost close to touching his shoulder until he snapped.

“STOP GETTING TOO CLOSE TO ME!”

That outburst alarmed Fluttershy and she gawked at him with worry.

Discord groaned in frustration, “Why are you being so nice to me? I was horrible to you! I used you like some ragdoll just like I did with any other pony! You were in the right mind to hate me! You even have the right mind to hate your adopted mother! But then one accident later and suddenly you’re thanking me and inviting me into your own house?! Why?! Don’t you know who I was before? Shouldn’t you be run or hide from me? Why are you so different from the others--?!”

He covered his mouth before he can slip that sentence off his lips; but from Fluttershy’s frightened expression, it was too late for him to take it back. He distanced himself away and turned his back on her.

“Why do you think you want me around you?”

Everything was laid there in front of her. All she saw from his outburst was a slight release of anxiety and frustration from every body movement he made to the subtle look of fear in his eyes. She can also see from that is that Discord probably never had somepony being this close to him before. If she wasn’t convinced of Zecora’s words before, this would be her sign of truth.

She gently floated towards Discord’s front and sat down facing him. Hearing her wings flapping and then stopping, he peered up to see her in front of him.

“Somepony told me recently that you’re not all bad as the others may seem,” Fluttershy simply said, with her voice sounding genuinely sincere, “At first, I found that hard to believe because you are right—I do have the mind to hate you for what you did. But since you saved me yesterday, I’m willing to give it a chance.”

The two of them stared for a while—Fluttershy’s eyes filled with hope and Discord’s with disbelief—until voices broke the silence.

“Fluttershy! Fluttershy, where are you?”

Fluttershy gasped when she recognized the voices, “The girls! I must’ve stayed out for too long! I’ll be right back, Discord,” She then flew off to the shore and into the clearing. She didn’t hear Discord calling out for her.


She stopped as she made it to the clearing.

“Girls? Girls!”

“Fluttershy!”

She turned around and saw Apple Bloom along with Bab Seed, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle running towards her.

“There you are!” Apple Bloom said worriedly, “We couldn’t find you back in the hut; we got worried and we’ve been searching you for hours! Where have you been?”

“Girls, I’m fine,” Fluttershy reassured, “Nothing bad happened to me.”

Right on cue, Discord rushed out of the clearing, “You forgot your booooook……” he dragged his last words as he saw the stunned, young fillies standing by, “Umm….. Hi?”

“Discord!” Sweetie Belle gasped.

“What are you doing here?” Apple Bloom exclaimed.

“He didn’t hurt you, did he?” Scootaloo asked Fluttershy while sounding protective.

“Whoa, okay, chill!” Discord defended himself.

“Girls, girls,” Fluttershy spoke out, “It’s okay. He’s with me.”

“What?!” the girls shouted in unison.

“You let him to even come close to you?!” Bab cried.

“Believe me, I’ve been asking myself that the whole day,” Discord uttered under his breath.

“But Fluttershy,” Apple Bloom said, “Haven’t you already forgotten of what he had done to you in a few days?”

“I am fully aware of that, but— “Fluttershy tried explain her case before she was cut off by Sweetie Belle.

“What about the few other ponies before you? Or even Apple Bloom?” She stopped to see Apple Bloom giving her a glare. “Sorry.”

“Please, I can explain,” Fluttershy pleaded, “This is a complete misunderstanding. He was with me when I saw him peeking through the window and he--

“He was stalking you?” Scootaloo said before focusing onto Discord, “I always knew him to be eccentric, but I never thought he could be a stalker.”

“IT WASN’T INTENTIONTAL!” Discord defended, “It was an accident!”

“Oh, right,” Babs Seed scoffed, “Just like you giving Apple Bloom a parasprite tailored haircut was an accident.”

“WOULD ANY PONY PLEASE STOP TALKING ABOUT THAT?!” Apple Bloom cried in embarrassment.

All the ponies, excluding Fluttershy, were yelling their words against Discord while he was trying defending himself. Even though it was pointless for him to fight against the prejudices he faced many times before, he knows that he doesn’t deserve this--At least, at this moment.

The noises were echoing inside of Fluttershy’s head to the point she can’t stand by and take it anymore.

“GIRLS!”

The girls including Discord quickly became silent by Fluttershy’s shout and turned to her with alarm.

Fluttershy then spoke out again, “Girls, I didn’t want to tell you this because I thought you would get upset; but yesterday he saved me from a three-headed hydra.”

“He saved you?” Apple Bloom uttered in surprise.

“Yes. That was why I invited him inside the treehouse and why I chose to go with him to his home. He hadn’t done anything to harm me since then and I would like it if you would stop accusing him.”

While the girls are speechless, they still struggling to fight back, “B-b-But Fluttershy!”

“No, I don’t want to hear any more of it,” Fluttershy firmly said.

“B-but he’s just like those changelings who tried to kill you!” Scootaloo shouted.

“You don’t even know him like the world does! What makes you think he won’t use you like last few times?!” Bab Seed exclaimed.

Looking at them dead in the eye, she calmly replied back, “Because I trust him enough as a friend.”

Discord suddenly went stiff. Had he heard that correctly? As a friend? He muttered in confusion, “We’re friends?”

Fluttershy turned around as she meet his gaze, “Well yes. I did mean it when I said I’m willing to give it a chance and I’ve really enjoyed our time today.”

“Oh,” Discord uttered his voice full of genuine surprise, “Well I— I never had a friend before.”

“Well, now you do.”

The girls watched the scene in silent awe. Both Fluttershy and Discord still standing there looking at in each and smiling. Discord tried to hide his small smile by turning his head slightly, but he didn’t want to stop looking at her. She just called her a friend; something that he would’ve rebel against but now he started to like it.

Sweetie Belle suddenly felt something strange from her horn. Checking her magic mentally, she noticed something that left her surprised. She sensed something different between the two of them that was strong; and from the looks of it, she started to think that this might not be a total loss of hope.

Sweetie Belle was the first to break the silence, “If that’s how you feel, we won’t judge you.”

The other three girls turned their head to her and gawk at her as if she’d lost her mind, “WHAT?!”

“Fluttershy is her own pony, even though we are looking out for her. If she feels that way and wants to be Discord’s friend, then we shouldn’t be controlling her and making her feel and do what she doesn’t like.”

“Are you sure about this, Sweetie?” Apple Bloom whispered, “You know what he is and what he might do?”

“We wouldn’t know unless we try.”

Apple Bloom turned and examined both Discord and Fluttershy before sighing in defeat, “Fine. But we still got our eye on you, buddy.”

The girls nodded in reluctant agreement and narrowed their eyes to show that they mean business.

Discord was holding onto his breath since Fluttershy’s proclamation and slowly relaxed when the tension died.

“We better go back,” Bab Seed said, “Applejack is coming back from Canterlot tonight.”

“We’re having another dinner over there, Fluttershy,” Apple Bloom called out.

“Okay,” Fluttershy replied, “I’ll be there soon.”

The girls walked away from the clearing, leaving Fluttershy and Discord alone.

She turned to him, “Sorry that I had to go so soon. We didn’t even start reading yet.”

“I-” Discord uttered a noise when he opens his mouth and cleared his throat once he realized his mistake, “It’s fine. You can come back tomorrow and we can get started on that-- That is if you want to.”

Fluttershy smiled, “I like that.”

With that, she galloped going after the girls and leaving the clearing, “See you tomorrow!”

Discord kept staring at the direction where she’d gone to and then gazed down at his paw where she held it not too long ago.

“See ya,” he muttered calmly before he lets a small smile grow on his face.

Author's Note:

And if you guess what the line about rubber tree and clotheslines is from, you get a free cookie!

A little food for thought, this is a vector-filled concept image of what Discord's pocket dimension looks like. This was also a chapter cover I made just for fun. http://sta.sh/02r5fdmrx8x

EDITED- 12/28/2017

I want to start a side project where I would take time to correct some grammar errors that I'd made and add/revise a few details just for the sake of the story.