• Published 15th Jun 2016
  • 3,029 Views, 73 Comments

The Element of Kindness - BlueHeartTattoo



An nameless pegasus rans away from the Queen of Changelings after being imprisoned 20 years. After meeting a group of fillies, an draconeqqus and a princess, nopony knew she would be connected to a mysterious disappearance. AU Inspired by Snow White

  • ...
5
 73
 3,029

Seeds of the Past- Part Two: The Changeling Princess

Chrysalis walked in the hallway leading to her throne room. Ever since she failed to prove her theory about Discord or find any information concerning Nameless, everything seemed to be the same as before. Her army still hunt in unguarded areas while still trying to find their prisoner and she is left governing her kingdom that she promised to rise and protect.

But even then she can still hear voices from before echoing through her head

“Did you know the war lasted longer because there were two queens and a princess leading and fighting with the changeling army?Queen Cecropia the first was still in ruling when the war started. She just lets her daughter, Princess Regalis, be involved the war since she was old enough to take the throne if anything happened to the Queen.”

“What about the princess? Was she involved too?”

“A little; she was still young then and there wasn’t much information about her. The war really took a toll on them, even if they’re the ones who caused it.”

Chrysalis slowly opened the doors and walked up to sit on her throne in silent, thinking back of what she had heard from the ponies.

The words that came out of that princess’s mouth bubbled up rage and disgust inside of her. As an enemy to her ancestors and her race, she should have no right to talk about her family or that horrible defeat. They were the ones responsible for their downfall as a dominant race and a respectable sovereignty.

But then she slowly grew melancholy as she thought about her mother.

She remembered her mother being a huge part of her life; not just being a mentor meant to raise a ruler to be as great and fearless as she was--- but also for her part in the war. Just as that princess explained it earlier, her grandmother, Queen Cecropia, was still alive and ruling over her kingdom at the time she was hatched as a larvae and deemed worthy enough to be an heir. Her mother, Queen Regalis, was still under mentor of her grandmother and was second in command in case anything happens to her. Chrysalis herself was kept away from the war for safety. Even her mother, who often vaguely accompanies her to details of the war, was only kept away from her until their next meeting how to be queen.

The young Chrysalis was devotedly and undeniably loyal to her mother. So much so that even when she was alone, she would idolize her as if she was the great goddess from above—and it broke her heart to see her on the final days of her life.

Chrysalis stood off her throne and went to the corner where her magic crystal ball stood still. She then activated her magic, turning the crystal ball on with its green aura and swirling green smoke.

Once it was active, she took a deep breath and spoke out, “Show me Queen Regalis.”

The green smoke swirled around until an image of a young changeling Queen-to-be appeared. She was as beautiful as she was in the past. Chrysalis realized for a little bit that she almost looked like her with the only differences; would it be her long, dark blue hair and emerald green eyes. It has been known that she was as cold and ruthless as she is.

Also in the image was her grandmother, who had aged very well and the details of her yellow mane and eyes had dulled to a grayish color.

A memory played just exactly how it was recorded.

Both queens stood in a castle balcony, glaring down below where their subjects flew back from the war for recovery. Most of them were injured and rushed into the castle while others reported to the general and the queens the outcomes of the battle.

Regalis noticed that her mother was glaring at the horizon as the sun began to set.

Cecropia grunted in distaste, “I must say in all things, the princesses are quite persistent.”

Regalis thought for a moment before she decided to speak, “Mother, the general reported how there were more unicorn and pegusi than they had with earth ponies. Would it be allowed if I can make a suggestion for our next attack?”

“It depends on how the number of ponies has something to do with my army,” Cecropia stated.

“Well, Pegusi controls and fights in the air and we have an advantage to them and the earth ponies. If we can find any information about the pegasi’s defenses, we can sabotage them so—“

“—So that we can drive the pegusi away from the battlefield, only leaving the unicorns and earth ponies to defend for themselves in the air,” Cecropia finished her sentence.

After a silence, she nodded and turned to face her daughter, “What did I ever do to raise you up to my image without even faltering?”

“I’m only thinking about our kingdom, Mother,” Regalis stated, looking out on the horizon with a hard glare, “Winning this war will ensure our control of this land.”

“That is a sign of a true queen,” Cecropia said, before turning away from the balcony, “Be sure to make your plans with the general while I take care of important business.”

“Yes, mother,” Regalis called out without turning around to face her elderly queen.

After a pause, she heard her mother called out, “Make sure that Chrysalis doesn’t get herself into trouble. I’d seen her wonder aimlessly, asking the soldiers about the battlefield.You need to show her what it is important in this kingdom so that she’s not lead astray.”

Regalis breathed out of her nose as she heard her mother leaving the balcony, “Yes, mother.”

Then green smoke swirled inside the ball until it showed Queen Regalis with the young Princess Chrysalis, walking down the hall away towards the throne room. Regalis, at one point, caught Chrysalis walking with a slouchy posture

“Stand up right, Chrysalis,” Regalis stated sternly to her daughter, “A queen doesn’t walk poorly even at her subject.”

Young Chrysalis quickly obliges when she held her head up high and pushed her shoulders back. It has been so long since she has been personally requested by her mother and she was grateful for this one moment to talk to her mother. All that she has to do though is do something that would please her until she is dismissed.

“Mother,” the young Chrysalis uttered out loud, “May I speak about something?”

Regalis glanced down at her daughter with her eyebrow raised, “That depends. What do you want to speak about?”

“I know I shouldn’t ask this since I got in trouble with Grandmother earlier. But I would like to ask--Why exactly did the war started?”

It was known for a fact that Chrysalis was known to be curious when she was young. Just like her mother and grandmother spend their times organizing the war, she often asked questions that would pop into her head, mainly concerning about life in general. She would always ask about how the pegusi controls the sky, how much magic differs from other species and often what or how does love works as a substance? It was also known that most recently, her mother entrusted her with Queen Cecropia’s secret chambers full of potions and books concerning dark magic that was extremely dangerous to use (especially for a filly like her).

Upon hearing about this particular question however, Regalis was confused by this. Still she replied back, “I thought that we discussed about this already--The Alicorn Princesses opposes to us as a threat and wants to take our land.”

“I do that, mother. But what I’m meant to say is why are we fighting? Is there something that we need to gain?”

Chrysalis is only replied with a long silence until her mother uttered, “Yes. There is.”

Using her magic, the door opened and a throne stand before them. Chrysalis stared in awe as she stood by her mother’s side.

“Remember what I told you about love, Chrysalis?” Regalis asked.

“Yes?”

“What is it exactly?”

“Um, it’s what we feed on, that’s how we survive. But other ponies use it as a feeling.”

“That’s right, but there’s something I never got to say about love when it comes to the ponies.”

Chrysalis’ eyes widen with interest, “What’s that?”

“That it is weakness.”

Chrysalis was stunned confused, “I don’t understand…?”

“Love is a natural emotion that creatures like those ponies possessed. Anyone can love a mother and father just like we respect ours. But it is also an impulse. A strong urge would do wonders on a pony. They can be strengthened by the presence of love, but they can also be weakened by the sheer pain and misery that it brings. Some never seen or even feel love if they had never known it. Ponies embraced the notion of love despite the fact that it could also destroy them. This is why the war was started.”

“Because of love?”

“Yes, my dear. For years, we had been feared by the ponies to be the dominant race, finding whatever love we can eat so that we can survive. They saw us a threat; monstrous creatures incapable of any love whatsoever. “

“But… isn’t that true? I mean, we can only feed on love but we don’t possess it like those ponies do.”

“While that may that be true, the main fact about that is this--- they were right. We don’t care who gets hurt or what kind of threat that we hold for as along we get what we need to survive. The Princesses knew about this when it comes to their attention. That’s why they threaten to take Equestria away from us so that we wouldn’t need to feed on the ponies again. They don’t understand that land possessed the most love than any land we had ever encountered. If we turn away now, we would’ve contain a small ounce of love from those that are hard to get.”

“Like Discord?” Chrysalis gasped and quickly covered her mouth when she realized something she shouldn’t have said.

Regalis looked at her daughter in shock, “Discord? How did you know him?”

She saw that her daughter peered down in shame, as if she knew she would be upset about this.

“How did you know about Discord?” She repeated with a cold glare on her face.

As there is no use now holding it back, Chrysalis uttered nervously, “I follow you and grandmother to the town he took over.”

“You What?!” Regalis yelled, her rage echoing through the throne room, “You know you aren’t supposed to leave the castle walls. Equestria is not safe and that creature shouldn’t be of concern to you!”

“But why were you out there? Isn’t it not safe for the rest of us either?”

“We are old and strong enough to defend ourselves. It was necessary to persuade Discord on our side, but he refused our offer.”

Without even thinking about it, Chrysalis said another question out loud, “Why didn’t you drain his love like you did with the ponies--?”

“BECAUSE HE HAS NO LOVE!” Regalis screamed frustrated, “HIS HEART IS AS COLD AND EMPTY AS AN SHELL!”

Chrysalis stood back afraid while Regalis sighed and paused to let that mishap go. This was clearly another discussion she should have another time and there are more important things to talk about. She then turned to her daughter and motioned her to walk closer to the throne.

“Chrysalis, you must understand that this war is important not only for our race, but for our freedom. If this war is won and Equestria is ours, we would feed on their love forever and we would claim ourselves as the true rulers of this land. We must do whatever we can to make this land ours, even if there are sacrifices we must take. When your grandmother and I are gone and you are crowned queen, you need carry this mission--- even if the war is won or not. You must keep this kingdom powerful, great and striving. And no matter what it takes, you along with your future children must not rest until you make Equestria truly ours.”

Chrysalis looked at the throne that seemed to be glowing with the cocoon’s light, making the sight look so grand and important.Chrysalis has always remembered this moment that has set her to become an excellent queen like her mother and grandmother gave her, but mainly out of full devotion and a sense of duty.

It wasn’t until later when one event would make her realize this promise and keep it with a fiery rage.

The image of throne changes and was replaced by the collision of two magic beams.

This, as she remembered, was the final day of the war. Unbeknownst to any changeling and ponies around this time, Chrysalis was hiding inside a hallow tree, overlooking at the war in front of her. And she can also see her mother, a newly-crowned queen, at the battlefield against the Princesses.

It was very rare in battle like these to have their leaders be among with the battalion, but the princesses thought to reason with the changelings to surrender reasonably near their land and her mother took it as an opportunity to attack. The battle didn’t look so good for the changelings since the opposition side had advanced on unicorns and pegusi and an unexpected alliance with those from Saddle Arabia.

She had nearly escaped from the castle and gotten into the battlefield when she heard that her mother would be there. It wasn’t easy to do since she is still in training but mastered a few disguises and spells but at least she had some good use for them. Everything was in chaos by the time she got there and hid inside that tree since then.

She can see her mother in armor, throwing magical beams at the princesses who put up a shielding spell as they attempt to talk to her.

“Queen Regalis, please!” Princess Celestia pleaded, “We must cease this fighting!”

“So that you can have a guaranteed success on overruling my kingdom?!” Regalis cried furiously as she blasted another beam at the princesses, which they struggled to keep up.

“Nothing can come good from this if we keep on fighting,” Princess Luna called out, “We cannot stand this much longer!”

Regalis cried out a battle cry, ignoring their pointless pleading and throwing another shot one at another.

“Regalis, please,” Celestia called out, “We are giving you one last chance to end this or else the consequences will overbear you!”

“How many times do I have to say it to you?! I am NOT giving up MY kingdom; I’d promised by my mother’s grave and my life to take what it’s rightfully ours!”

The princess looked regrettably at each other and to the changeling queen. At this point, she is driven by rage and determination that she is too stubborn enough to change her mind. They wished they never had to do this, but they both knew that this was the way to end the war once and for all.

“Then you leave us with no choice!” Celestia cried out before she can magically reach three powerful gems while Luna had done the same holding out three more gems. Chrysalis had never seen the gems before but Regalis almost had a twitch of fear before standing her ground with gritted teeth.

The magic went around the two alicorns and the fighting between the ponies and changeling ceased to see the sight before them. The light grew brighter and brighter until it finally sent a magical aura outward, blasting away the changelings. Chrysalis grabbed very tightly of the wood around her while her mother used a shielding spell before she is overcome by the time before the magic has stopped.

She felled almost near to the edge of the forest where Chrysalis was hiding. Seeing that her mother was severely hurt, she quietly got out of the tree trunk and rushed over to her. But before she can get to her, the alicorn princesses walked near her and she ducked in the bushes.

When Regalis felt the presence before her and saw that battlefield has become a barren wasteland, she spoke out to the princesses in a cold tone that was above a whisper, “Do it.”

“What?” Princess Celestia uttered confused.

“Do it. You’ve won. And I’ve lost my chance on taking Equestria. What better way to celebrate your victory than killing me?”

The princesses and Chrysalis grew appalled at this request. Then Regalis continued as she struggled to get up.

“What are you doing gapping your jaws open when I only ask you this?” She chuckled twistedly as she continues, “Kill me and you no longer had to deal with me. I wanted to take this land while die trying for the benefit for my subjects. But since I can’t have that now, might as well end it all. Maybe someday some changeling would take my example to lead the kingdom to victory.”

She then kneeled with her head down, “Go ahead. I’m waiting.”

Celestia and Luna looked at each other with concern and Chrysalis was panicking, terrified of what’s going to happened next or whether she should do something about it to save her.

After a good amount of time, Celestia stood near the changeling queen and looked down at her with sympathetic eyes, “We’re not killing you.”

Regalis then snapped her head up to the princesses, her eyes widen with shock.

Celestia peacefully spoke to the queen while kneeling down to her eyesight, “We regretted using the element’s power on you and your kingdom but it was the only way to stop all this destruction. But just because this is over doesn’t mean it’s over for the changelings. We can settle this peacefully. We can help you and your subjects to find your place in Equestria--- among ponykind. It might be seen as a stretch and it will take some work, but I hope in time, you will be accepted as our friend.”

Celestia then reached down her hoof to Regalis. She glanced between Celestia’s kind eyes and her hoof which are pleading for her to take it. Then something had snapped inside of her that she began to look at her enemies with pure hatred and disgust.

She slapped away Celestia’s hoof and screamed out, “You know perfectly well that you and your kind can never accept us! And never will I stoop so low as to throw away our pride and hunger to this false hope.”

Celestia looked at the queen shock but continue to persuade her, “What you were doing to our subjects was wrong. You had created fear and emotional turmoil from the amount of love you tried to steal through your manipulations. Ponies had died because of this!”

“Whatever necessary enough to gain our land,” Regalis stood proudly to the princesses with a furious look in her eye that made her monstrous than before, “This is your choice, Celestia: give us this land or WE SHALL TAKE IT BY FORCE!”

She then used her magic to blast a shot the princesses without warning. In a blink of an eye, Luna put up a shield to save her sister while the beam ricocheted and hit Regalis at the chest, crying out in pain.

Chrysalis gasped in shock and screamed out, “MOTHER!!!”

She ran out of her hiding place and ran towards her mother, surprising the princesses. She then used her magic to teleport her and Regalis out of the battlefield and in the changeling kingdom.

“HELP!” Chrysalis screamed to the crowd of changelings while holding close to her mother, “PLEASE, HELP HER! SHE’S BEEN SHOT!!”

Castle Guards and soldiers ran out of the crowd to help the two of them before the green smoke swirled around again, changing it to another memory.

Not even a year later and Chrysalis was at her mother’s bedside, who has been growing ill since the end of the war. She cringes whether she has to hear her labored breathing and looking so weak like this.

Chrysalis had been taking care of everything in her absence. She handled with the struggle of feeding, tried to take care of the injured as much as she can, she even tried handling every problem that come across her. She was indeed very young and the stress was overwhelming for her; but she knew that there was nothing she can do since her mother’s unable to do anything after the war’s end.

She was snapped out of her thought when she heard her mother’s voice breaking through the rhythm of her breathing.

“Chrysalis….” Regalis said with a weak voice.

Chrysalis scoot close to her right immediately, “Yes, mother?”

“I’ll….. I’ll be gone soon….” She said with each labored breath she took.

“No—No, mother!” Chrysalis panicked, “don’t say that! We’ll make you feel better. Just let me get the doctor—“

She stopped going any further away when Regalis grabbed her arm.

“No, please. I need you here.”

Chrysalis hesitantly was lead back to her mother’s side.

“It’s too late for me anyway. You know very well how that shot has affected my heart. It’s finally my time to—“

“Mother, don’t!” Chrysalis cried desperately, “Please.”

“I need you to remember this promise. Remember what I’ve said the time I told you about love?”

Chrysalis nodded her head, trying to hold back the tears, “Y-yes.”

“Good. Then you know what to do.”

Regalis then pulled Chrysalis and her hoof moved up to her daughter’s back so hard as so she won’t back away, “Chrysalis, you are going to be queen early than we expected; but from what I heard from the general, I have a feeling that you’re going to be extraordinary. You must carry on this promise, Chrysalis. Wear this crown with pride. Become powerful. Make our race great again and have the world at your hooves--for your dynasty, for me…”

Regalis then grew silent and Chrysalis expected the worst when she saw the grip of her hoof weaken.

“Guard….” She tried calling out without breaking down to tears; but each time she called out to the castle guards, the tears flowed more and more, “…Guard…..GUARD!!”

After that last scream, she finally broke down and threw her head onto the bed, holding onto her mother’s limp hoof.

“That’s enough.”

Chrysalis’s voice cracked through in the present day as she deactivated the magic on the crystal ball. Her eyes were daring to shed tears, but she held it back.

Even to this day, she kept this promise; to have Equestria for the taking and making the changeling race great and proud again. While almost making all of ponykind pay to what they had done to her mother.

She was already one step closer when she taken Nameless as a baby and let the land destroy themselves without the presence of harmony, or even the bearers of harmony, to save them. But that day when she learn that Nameless become more powerful than she expected, she would’ve done whatever it takes to not anything ruin her mother’s promise. Not even to a pony as pathetically hopeful as Nameless!

“My queen! My queen!”

Chrysalis jumped as she heard a voice coming from behind her and saw Nabis panting near her nervously.

She growled frustrated, “Nabis, how many times did the general tell to NOT TO--!”

“It’s Gypsum!” Nabis panted, “She escaped again!”

Chrysalis widen her eyes, “What? Where?!”

“I-I don’t know, your highness,” Nabis replied quickly, “I swear—she wasn’t there at the roll call again!”

Chrysalis sighed, “Knowing her persistence, she might be going back to Ponyville. Did you tell the general about this?”

“Y-yes, my queen. He is sending in a search party immediately.”

“Good. Be sure to tell him that they must be aware of their surroundings. I don’t want them to make the ponies suspicious.”

“Y-yes, my queen,” Nabis bowed before he ran out of the throne room.
As soon as he left the room, Chrysalis sighed and rubbed her temples with her hooves, “Now I understand how much of a pain I was when I escaped the castle walls.”

Author's Note:

Chrysalis’s backstory was extremely tricky to work on, probably since I want to give her a motivations to her action and the reason why she is set into destroying Equestria in the first place just right. And concerning on the question if this will eventually tie into the season 6 finale, I’m going to say that that will not be focus in this story but I do had a head canon that after the events of the very last chapter, Fluttershy tries to help the changelings reform into ponykind and at that discovery of sharing love instead stealing it, they went through a physical transformation like in the show. (Oops, sorry, Spoiler Alert)

EDITED 3/28/17: I re-edited this part of the chapter just a bit because looking back to it; I wasn’t satisfied of how I portrayed Regalis and her relationship with Chrysalis. I wanted to show that Regalis was just as cold and ruthless as Chrysalis is and that she was stern and emotionally distant towards her; she just sees her daughter as another heir to the throne while Chrysalis, being a victim to this kind of relationship, idolizes her to the point where she would avenge her death and blame Equestria for the war. Ironically Regalis’ influence on her daughter and the experience made her grown into the Queen of Changeling we know today.

EDITED- 1/3/2018
I want to start a side project where I would take time to correct some grammar errors that I'd made and add/revise a few details just for the sake of the story.