• Published 16th Jun 2016
  • 1,459 Views, 60 Comments

Love Fears Loss - SoloBrony



The Wonderbolts deal with fans of all ages wherever they go, but lately Soarin has been getting an unusual number of foals asking him for lessons. He discovers something about one of his fans he shouldn't have, and isn't sure what to do about it.

  • ...
3
 60
 1,459

It hurts.

Why am I doing this?

I had, I was fairly certain, tracked down Laverna's old parents. There were still a lot of unanswered questions – like why she had run away in the first place, or how she had gone from being a unicorn colt to being a pegasus filly. I had some ideas, but I didn't want to just run with an assumption until I knew for sure.

Is there really any point? Laverna's never going to trust me again – and even if she did, what then? Could I really convince her to come home?

I sighed, scuffing at the sidewalk. Sitting at the bench reminded me of hanging out with Laverna at the park, and that didn't do my mood any favors. I had already tried knocking on the front door, but nopony was home, so I had resigned myself to waiting until they got back.

The way she reacted when she thought she might go back into the system... what happened to her? I guess there's just one way to find out... but even if I do, it's not going to make any difference. I can't really do anything about all of this! Dangit, why couldn't somepony else have dealt with this?

Then again, I guess Spitfire tried. So did the constable and Dr. Al. Heck, Al said he was impressed with my 'patience' with Laverna. Does that mean that every other adult pony is just as lost as I am when dealing with this sorta thing?

That was a sobering thought; I found myself taken aback considering the implications. I had always imagined, growing up, that adults basically knew what they were doing. When I realized that I was an adult, and still really had no idea, I started acting like a goofball; I could hardly take myself seriously when I felt so unsure about what to do.

Does the rest of the team feel like that? I mean, we've all had our silly moments, but I can hardly imagine the rest of them feeling lost like that. Then again, that look on Spitfire's face...

I shook my head, trying to push the storm of thoughts in my mind aside. I had a job to do. After a few minutes of impatient squirming and waiting, I caught sight of a couple coming down the street.

White coat on top, black hooves, grey mane – that must be Mr. Endicott. And that would make the mare... yep, beige coat, black mane, that must be Mrs. Endicott. They're just like they were described. Alright.

I made to stand, and I managed to get halfway up before I popped down on my rump.

Dangit, I can't handle all of this drama. My hooves are all shaking. It's not even that scary! I'm more nervous about talking to these folks than I am before a big performance!

I smacked my forehead with a hoof – a gesture which had become much more familiar recently.

Why am I even doing this? There's no real point. I mean, it doesn't even matter what they say; I probably won't even see Laverna again, and it's not like what these folks tell me will somehow change what she thinks. This whole thing has been a massive waste of time. I should just go catch up with the team.

I stood up to leave, and took a couple of steps down the street before I stopped.

But... If everypony else feels like I do, then what's that mean if I walk off? That no one cares?

I remembered how I felt the first time I saw the box Laverna was sleeping in.

To have somepony be all alone in the world, where nopony else cares... It really all just comes down to this, doesn't it? 'Somepony else's problem'.

I turned back to face the house, just as the Endicotts were stepping inside.

Well, then. I guess normally I'm the goofball, but today...

I strode up to the house, carefully breathing in and out the way I did before taking a leap into a performance. As I knocked on the door, I imagined the wind screaming past me as I went into a dead fall.

Today, I am 'somepony else'.