• Published 16th Jun 2016
  • 1,459 Views, 60 Comments

Love Fears Loss - SoloBrony



The Wonderbolts deal with fans of all ages wherever they go, but lately Soarin has been getting an unusual number of foals asking him for lessons. He discovers something about one of his fans he shouldn't have, and isn't sure what to do about it.

  • ...
3
 60
 1,459

... it leaves a hole in your heart.

"I had no idea she'd react like that. Soarin... I'm sorry."

"It's... okay. Don't worry about it; you were just doing what you thought was best."

"... Thanks. But what did you think was best?"

"Dunno. That's why I hadn't really done anything, yet. Guess it's too late, now."

"Well, the constable said he'd be searching for her, right? He might turn something up."

"You think she'll trust me again?"

Spitfire's expression sank. I hadn't ever seen her look so regretful, before.

I didn't even think about how this would make her feel.

I walked over to her and set a hoof on her shoulder.

"Hey, Cap. You guys can handle the next show without me, right?"

Spitfire looked at me, her eyes darting around my face in confusion. She spent a moment thinking before responding.

"Yeah, we have reserves in Filly."

"Okay. In that case, give them a call, huh? I'll stay here, and see if I can't find her. Do some digging."

Spitfire bit her lower lip a couple of times before taking a sharp breath. She stood up tall and nodded to me.

"That sounds like a good idea. Good luck, Soarin."

"You too, Cap. And tell Dash I'm sorry for not being there for her trick."

Spitfire smirked.

"I'll tell her you said so, but something tells me she won't forgive you that easily."

~

"It seems that there was a 'Chaser' registered at the Canterlot Orphanage a few years ago. I've pulled the relevant records, here."

I took the dusty recordbook from the secretary with a nod. I took a seat at a nearby table, careful not to make too much noise, and started flipping through it.

Alright! Progress! Man, coming to the central records in Canterlot was a good idea. I'll have to remember to thank Dr. Al for the tip.

I froze in my search.

'Sky Chaser', huh? Sounds like the kid... but there's no mention of Laverna here.

I scanned the entry further, reading that Sky Chaser and his brother had been sent to a foster home.

Maybe Laverna was already a part of that household. I should go ask the orphanage director about it.

~

"Here you go, lad."

Man. I don't think I've ever seen so much grey on a pony, before. Mane, tail, coat, even grey eyes!

The elderly stallion set a steaming cup of tea in front of me, and then carefully took a seat across from me. After we'd both had a few sips, he spoke up.

"Now, who was it you wished to ask after?"

Dang, this tea is good.

"Chaser. Sky Chaser. He was here for a few years before going into foster care, right?"

At least, that's what the record-book at the central archive said...

"Ah... Chaser. Yes, I remember him."

Dorian cast his eyes down at the table, a faint grimace forming.

Wow. Now I feel bad for bringing it up...

"The records weren't really clear, but something happened, huh?"

Dorian nodded, meeting my eyes.

"He fell ill... his foster parents didn't recognize the seriousness of it until it was too late."

"That's really sad. Jeez."

"Quite, quite... Between that and what happened with his brother, his foster-parents left the system entirely."

Ah, right. He had a brother here.

"What about his sister? Laverna?"

Dorian squinted at me, searching my face.

"Laverna? I've never heard the name."

"Really? I'm pretty sure Chaser's the one I'm looking for. Laverna said he was her brother."

"I'm afraid not. Chaser only had one sibling."

Maybe it's the wrong kid?

"Well, what happened with Chaser's brother?"

"He ran away, right after Chaser passed. He's one of the only cases of a runaway we've never managed to track down."

That sounds... interesting.

"What kinda kid was he?"

"Oh, Laurence was always a bit of an enigma. He was very mature for his age, but he was also very quiet – he was mute until he was four, you know! Very strange, indeed. The first time he spoke, Chaser had scraped his leg very badly playing outside; Laurence just held him, told him he would be okay, and then called for help."

"Wow. He does sound like an odd kid, alright – cool, though."

Dorian nodded, a faint smile crossing his lips, though his eyes were creased and weary.

"He was a great help around the orphanage. In time, he came to be quite talkative – though he never stopped having a secretive side. He would goof off and ramble about all sorts of things, but if someone brought up something he felt strongly about..."

"He'd just go quiet on them, and give them a look?"

Dorian nodded.

Wow. He does sound like Laverna, but... how's that possible?

"Laurence... could you describe him to me?"

"Oh, sure. He was a small grey unicorn colt, navy blue hair and mane, with teal eyes. Kind of lithe and skinny, like to prance everywhere."

Wow. That sounds a lot like Laverna, except—

"A unicorn? Really?"

"Yep."

"Not a pegasus, like his brother?"

"Hmm? Chaser wasn't a pegasus."

"Really? Huh... I guess I just assumed—"

"He was obsessed with the Wonderbolts, though. Absolutely taken with them; he swore he'd be one when he grew up, even though he didn't have wings."

My thoughts drifted back to the earth pony colt I'd met some time back, and I felt my eyes water.

I guess now would be a weird time to mention that I'm a Wonderbolt. I should follow up on this somehow.

"You said that the parents left the foster system, right? Can I still talk to them, somehow?"

"Oh, certainly. We have their names on file, so we could look them up."

"I think that'd be a good idea."