• Published 14th Jun 2016
  • 1,562 Views, 220 Comments

Crown of Winter - CartoonNerd12



The sixth installment of the RCF series! When a proclamation for suitors is made, the children are less than thrilled. Their behavior turns so cold that soon, their family is in great danger!

  • ...
3
 220
 1,562

Chapter 5

At the dinner table that night, all of the royal family was there eating their meals. Twilight said, "I'm so glad we're all eating together again after the announcement."

Suddenly, Dignity belched and then Fire Spark and Whirl Wind followed suit, each belching more loudly.

Fluttershy asked her husband softly, "Um, Discord. Say something."

But he answered with a belch louder than the boys. He dabbed his mouth with a handkerchief and asked, "Sorry, what was that, sweetie?"

Rarity groaned to herself, "Honestly, he has more atrocious manners than anyone in the room."

Cheese Sandwich exclaimed to the boys, "Wow! You guys sure developed an appetite overnight!"

Fancy Pants asked pleasantly, "I trust all went well with the interviews?"

The boys nodded dreamily, "Mm-hmm…"

Dignity said, "It was absolutely glorious, Father…"

Fire Spark sighed happily, "Wonderful…"

Whirl Wind agreed, "Over the moon…"

Gemstone then said, "Me, too. I was actually lucky to meet somepony who could be meant for me."

Cotton Candy whispered to Apple Jewel, "Uh-oh. We've got a problem here…"

Twilight smiled, "That's great news, kids. Now what about the rest of you girls? How did it go?"

Apple Jewel said uneasily, "It was…fine."

Starling agreed, "Could've gone better."

Cotton Candy nodded, "Same here."

Screwball, however, remained silent as she picked at her food. Discord noticed this and said, "Uh-oh. Tense silence. Not a good sign."

Fluttershy asked her daughter, "Did it not go too well for you?"

Screwball muttered, "No."

Discord said, "Well, serves those ponies right. There's no one good enough for my daughter."

Suddenly, Screwball slammed her fork down and shouted, "You, too?! What is it with you and the other stallions?!" She got out of her seat and stomped out the room in a huff.

When the door slammed loudly, Discord remarked, "Ooh, bad weather tonight. Honestly, I thought we were past that stage when she reached puberty."

Fluttershy gave a reassuring look to her husband and said, "I'll go talk to her."

When her eldest sister left the room, Rarity asked Gemstone, "So, Gem, you said you met somepony you could actually like. Who is it?"

Her daughter said, "His name is Seam. He came after I rejected about 300 suitors."

Her family members were in awe by that.

Cotton pointed, "Well, I had to reject about 400 suitors!"

"You did not. It was about 40." said Starling.

"Yeah, but most of them were circus performers, and half of those guys were clowns! And those were the ones that didn't even work in a circus! Besides, you had rejected less suitors than me…"

"I actually had two hundred and forty rejections. That's way more than you about two hundred more."

Apple Jewel whispered in, "Uh… why do you guys care how many suitors you had to reject?"

"Stay out of it, Jewel!" they said as they kept bickering about numbers.

Jewel turned to her parents just as they had laughed at a joke Rainbow said. She asked her folks, "Mom, Dad, I'm done eating. May I be excused?"

Applejack nodded, "Sure, sugar cube. You'll need your rest for tomorrow in case more suitors show up."

"Oh. That's good… I guess." She went out and went into a private room. She got a quill and parchment and began to write.

"My dearest Prince Asher. Today, I met the first set of suitors, but none of them held a candle to you because to me, you'll always be the brightest of lights - mainly because you have the fire power for it. But that's not why I'm writing, though it is true, every word. Anyway, I got your last letter after I told you about my mother and aunts' proclamation to meet somepony to love and marry, but let's face it - after meeting you, I was never really attracted to another pony. I wish you could have come to call, but I understand your duties as prince of the Dragon Lands come first. Your princess, Apple Jewel."

She looked it over once and then blew fire on it, causing it to disappear. About half an hour later, another letter appeared. She read it out loud, "My dearest Jewel. To me, you'll always shine brighter than any gem in the world. Yes, I was upset about the possible number of ponies coming to claim you, but your letter eased my worries. For so long, we have written to each other expressing ourselves, learning more about each other and growing to love each other with each passing year. I would have asked you to be my mate sooner was I not afraid of the Dragon Law for mating. As you'll recall the last time you were in the Dragon Lands, my grandfather made it very clear that dragons had to mate with other dragons with the glaring exception of your father. He did not know the law and was not living among us dragons from the time he hatched. But you and I are too aware of the laws set before us. Your family wants you to meet a stallion while I must find another dragon, but you just stand out so much from the other females in my tribe that I cannot see myself with anyone but you. Your prince, Asher."

She sighed between lovingly and sadly. A tear threatened to spill from her eye as she quickly wrote back, "My sweet prince. Surely with me being half-dragon, it can work, couldn't it?" She blew the fire and it went. In minutes, he replied as she read, "I wish it were that simple, my Jewel. The mating law is strict for a prince such as myself. I must find someone with good breeding to produce a capable heir to keep the Dragon Lord title in our family. For centuries, my ancestors have competed in the Gauntlet of Fire and have managed to keep the title Dragon Lord. I feel I must do the same. Please don't take it personally."

She quickly wrote back, "I could never be offended for you wanting to keep an important tradition in your family, but the thought of you being with someone else is… upsetting."

The next letter came, "I understand your feelings. Just the thought of you dating somepony else is upsetting to me as well. We're in a very tight spot trying to decide what to do. You know how I told you long ago that you couldn't let them they get to you? Well, I feel like I'm slipping from that lesson just thinking about you."

She wrote back, "If we could just see each other one more time, then we would know for sure what to do… Could you meet me on my balcony tomorrow night?"

His response said, It's a long distance from here to Canterlot, but for you I'll do anything to see you.

She smiled, writing, "I'll see you tomorrow night, then…" Once she blew the fire, she knew that would be the end of their correspondence for the night.


Screw Ball sulked on her bed while her mother rubbed her back.

"I'm sure you'll get a lot more suitors within the next few weeks…"

"But what if there isn't? You know I'm not the most beautiful princess…"

"That's not true! Screwy, you are beautiful!"

Screwy said sarcastically, "Sure, Mom. Swirly eyes tend to be eye-catching…"

"Screwball, honey, you are beautiful, and if those colts aren't willing to see that, then it's their loss not getting to know a wonderful pony. You're beautiful inside and out."

"You really think so?"

"Absolutely. You may have your father's tendencies to act mischievous, but you always had your heart in the right place. You use your powers for good, even if on occasion they're used for selfish reasons. But in the end, you'll always choose good and I'm proud of you for that."

This made Screw Ball feel better, but she still had her doubts, "But what if I never find someone who will love me?"

"Your father thought he would never find love and even I thought I wasn't going to find love at one point. But the day I found your father in the maze and when we met face-to-face, love hadn't struck us until we got know each other better. I was scared of him at first and…I think he was scared of me, too…"

"Daddy was scared of you?" She found that hard to believe because her mom was such a sweet and gentle pony.

"Well, I don't think he was scared of me personally, like I was with him, but the thought me giving the go-ahead to turn him back to stone frightened him. That got me to realize that I was keeping him prisoner and so I had to let him go, even if he was going to act horribly. But it made me so happy that he realized what true friendship was and decided to behave from then on. Otherwise, we wouldn't have you." She nuzzled her daughter's cheek, causing her to giggle.

Fluttershy kept speaking, "You'll see. Love happens in strange ways. We sometimes expect it and sometimes we don't." She began to sing, "Imagine someone to love who loves you… Imagine to look in his eyes and see… Imagine how miraculous it seems to be… but it's not so very rare… You can find it anywhere… It's an ordinary miracle… The kind you find around you every single day… Or maybe it's just seasonal like spring and May… They're so many… The ordinary miracle that runs right by… Or maybe it's too gradual to catch your eye… so you miss it… A sudden bolt of distant lightning… Big mountains rising out of stone… A baby starts to walk or talk one day then shockingly she's grown and in love! That volcano of emotion not 10,000 zebra potions can undo! Yes, it's love! Well, of course my view is slanted but ponies do take love for granted, sad but true… Of all the many miracles… Mysterious and marvelous and big and small… When ponies fall in love, it beats them all… Oh, to see it, to feel it, to know it! Imagine someone to love who loves you… Imagine to look in his eyes and see… Imagine how extraordinary it would be… If an ordinary miracle… happened to you…"

Her mother gave a smile as Screwball somewhat returned it.

She thought bitterly, The problem with that, Mom, is I don't think even a miracle can help me find love… I'm too much of a freak to ever have someone love me…


Cotton and Starling found their cousin and apologized for acting the way they did.

Jewel asked, "So you were just making a point to your parents that you'll be rejecting more suitors in the days to come?"

"Yes." said Star. "As you know, this isn't how we should be choosing spouses. A proper love connection should come at its own time. Like how our parents connected."

Cotton exclaimed, "That's right! My mom and dad met in an unusual way, but it was still love!"

"I know a single bump doesn't cause ponies to fall in love, but with my parents meeting that way, I can't help but wonder if that's how I'll meet my very special somepony."

"My dad had a crush on Aunt Rarity at first, but when Mom started showing her true feelings, Dad changed mares and eventually got her to admit her love for him."

"See? So meeting hundreds of stallions all at once is confusing and exhausting. How can one find a soul mate like that?" Star questioned.

"Gemstone apparently can…" Cotton mentioned. "I'm worried, guys. At dinner, she was excited talking about him. What if they actually fall in love?"

Jewel added, "We don't know that for sure. She could easily dump him within the month."

Star gestured, "True, but if they do fall in love… I'm afraid I'm at a loss about what to do. I want Gem to be happy, but the agreement was if all of us - excluding the boys - don't choose a suitor to love, then we can go to Marendelle for a vacation. But if one of us actually finds love… It would prove our parents' plan was effective and they had the right to submit us into this."

"But they don't!" Cotton motioned.

"They really don't," agree Jewel, "and I wish they had asked us if we already had someone to love but couldn't get together at the moment…" She noticed her cousins were giving her strange glances and quickly added, "Well, I'm just saying it wouldn't hurt to ask…"

Star nodded, "They should have. We're grown mares who can make our own choices. I don't understand why they would be so worried over us and have this need to push us into something we don't want."


"Are we really doing the right thing?" Pinkie asked her sisters in the throne room along with their husbands.

Applejack said, "I have to agree, Twi. Ever since we started this proclamation, Apple Jewel has been distant from us like she's always on another world."

Rarity pointed, "Not to mention the number of suitors the girls are rejecting."

Discord could be heard through his stifling laughter and they turned to give him annoyed looks, giving him the chance to say something.

He said, "I seem to recall six young princesses who were plotting against their mother to stop suitors from taking them away…"

The boys smiled at that comment, causing the girls to smile as well.

AJ mentioned, "That's a good point. After all, they wouldn't be our kids if they didn't think of trying to get out of something they didn't like."

Pinkie gestured, "And again I ask, are we doing the right thing?"

Their heads turned toward Twilight, who sighed.

"I wanted them to find love on their own, but remembering all that has happened to our family… The curses, the near deaths, the perils… I couldn't bear to see that happening to our children, especially when it came to ponies who would just use them like Blueblood." She turned to her eldest sisters, "You remember, Rarity? Fluttershy?"

They grimaced, as did their husbands.

Fancy said, "Seeing how he was forcing himself on to you and making that proposal… I had to do something."

His wife giggled, "I remember all too well. The way you poured the tea and sandwiches on him like it was an accident while a lesser gentlecolt would have done far worse. But you proved to have class while defending my honor… making me love you more." she stared lovingly at him.

Fluttershy shivered at her own memory of Blueblood forcing her to be his wife and wrapped her arms around her husband's warm fur. He embraced her in comfort, knowing exactly what she was thinking.

"That foolish prince… He didn't know what he was doing when he tried to take you away from me. Messing with the Lord of Chaos always has serious consequences."

"But you spared his life. I was so proud of you. He didn't deserve mercy, but you showing it proved you were the better being."

Applejack motioned, "Let's just hope our kids find good beings, too."

They all agreed to that.

Twilight then held out a letter, "Oh! Before I forget, I received a message from the prince of Maretonia this afternoon. He requests that I meet with him for a business arrangement, so I need your help to prepare for his arrival the following afternoon tomorrow. He's already traveled to other cities and kingdoms, so he hopes we let him stay for a few days before moving on."

Pinkie grinned widely, "A royal guest coming to stay here?! I'll get my party cannon!"

"Wait, Pinkie! He also said in his letter, he requires not a welcoming party and would like to keep the visit strictly business. So, sorry, no parties."

Both Pinkie and Cheese gaped in shock, "NO PARTIES?!"

Twilight shrugged, "Sorry, but the prince will be our guest and we must do as he asks."

Rarity proclaimed, "Quite so, Twilight! After all, we as royalty must keep the rules of diplomacy up for other visiting royals. Everything must go the way our guest wants it."

The party pony couple groaned.

"I'm with them!" Discord pointed. "What's the point of royalty coming if you don't celebrate it in style?!"

Fluttershy told him, "Be as that may, we must respect the prince's wishes. The last thing we need is a war…" she gulped.

Twilight declared, "Exactly! And there hasn't been a war in Equestria since before Father married Mother. They had always managed to govern the land without conflict being brought up at a royal summit. And I'm not about to let that happen on my watch, so please, I am begging all of you: respect what the prince of Maretonia desires."

There was a sigh from the party ponies and Discord. They did the Pinkie promise and the others followed, causing the queen to smile in relief.

Author's Note:

Song featured: An Ordinary Miracle from The Hunchback of Notre Dame II.