• Published 20th Jun 2012
  • 1,392 Views, 80 Comments

In Wub - gingerfuntime



After being transported to Ponyville somehow, Levi meets a very strange musical pony.

  • ...
10
 80
 1,392

The Picnic

A week had passed, and it was the day of Twilight's picnic. Vinyl had to perform at the picnic, which was held at the grand park in the middle of Ponyville.

"I gotta play at the picnic tonight, River. So you're gonna have to be sociable and try and meet new ponies." she said with a grin.

"Oh, darn. That was never my strong suit." I joked. But on the inside I kind of knew it to be somewhat true. I wasn't great at making friends.

"Unless you wanna hang out at my booth all night long." she said, jokingly daunting.

"No, I think I'll be fine." I laughed. I went and picked up a few groceries and such to try and last us a week. But, in my new body, I had a huge increase in appetite. I seemed to be eating more and more every week. Like a horse, as it were.

As I walked home from the store, my back sagging from all the food I'd bought, I saw the picnic being prepared. It was Twilight's picnic, but Pinkie Pie was the master of all things party in of Ponyville, if not in all of Equestria. She was bouncing from place to place at about Mach 5. All the colors were simply blinding. I heard her popping up suggestions over all the commotion.

"That set of balloons over there! We need more diverse colors! Omigosh this party's gonna be so much fun! No! You gotta put the bouncy houses with the bouncy houses. Over by the fountain! We should put some sugar drink mix in the fountain... *gasp* Yes! I'll be right back everyone, I gotta go get some drink mix!" as she bounced away, I realized she was heading towards me.

Oh, god. What do I do?

*gasp* "Hi! What's your name??" she asked, excited as all hell. Before I even had the chance to say my name she blurted out, "I'm Pinkie Pie!" she exclaimed at a higher pitch than I knew any kind of ear could process.

"I need need need to throw you a welcoming party! We could have it tonight! A party within a party! PARTYCEPTION!" she exclaimed at a thousand miles a minute.

"I'm River, by the way. River Flow." I said, kind of frightened. I knew Pinkie was hyper, but Jesus. When it's aimed directly at you it's almost scary. She paused for a second, thinking about ideas for my party. And when I say second, I mean second. She literally had 5 ideas in the span of a breath.

"Omigosh! I need to get drink mix for the fountain!" she exclaimed, worried. She hopped off at the speed of light. All I could think was What the buck just happened?


I got home to Vinyl mixing a drink. "Whatcha making there, Scratch?" I referred to her as Scratch mainly because it kind of annoyed her.

I found annoying her was quite fun. She gave me a scolding look and I just laughed.

"Scotch and soda." she said, actually quite eloquently.

"You guys have scotch here? I've never had it before." I told her, intrigued.

"Well, now's your chance. Try it." she said as she handed me the tumbler. I eased a sip down and it was like liquid lava.

"Ahh!" I exclaimed, scrunching my eyes and twisting my nose.

"I hate it. It literally tastes like fire." I said, still slightly in pain.

She laughed. She had the most amazing laugh. "It does taste like that the first few times you have it. Take a few more sips." she suggested. "Unless, of course, you're too chicken." she challenged.

Oh hell naw. "Alright." I said. I knocked back the rest of the tumbler.

I immediately regret this decision.

"Oh god!" I yelled, rolling on the floor as if I was on fire. It definitely felt like it. Vinyl was rolling on the floor, too. But it was for another reason. She was laughing her ass off.

"Oh, ha ha." I said, annoyed. She just laughed harder.

"Oh, shut up." I started to laugh a bit, too.

"I'm a dumbass." I scolded myself, laughing. We sat there and laughed for a good five minutes. She even snorted a couple times. That just made us laugh even harder.

She's so beautiful when she laughs. I thought to myself.

The picnic rolled around at six. We walked there together, carting her DJ booth and equipment with us. It may have been just a turntable and a desk but it was heavy. By the time we were there, the party was already booming. Pinkie was out handing sweets to the fillies and colts, the CMC were bouncing in one of the bouncy houses, and the fountain was indeed a sugary pink drink.

Pinkie, you've outdone yourself. I thought.

"Just drag the cart over there." Vinyl directed as she pointed to the already set up speaker system. I set the desk down and put the turntable on top of it. I started to maneuver the plugs into sockets when a light blue aura formed around them and they started plugging themselves in. Vinyl was freaking cool. I knew magic existed, but it was still badass to me. She placed her mixer and laptop on the desk wherever there was room. Plugs continued to fly into their sockets with that faint blue glow. In only a matter of minutes, she was set up.

Impressive. I thought to myself.

She plugged her headphones in and hit play and house music immediately came on over the speakers. Everypony cheered because they knew Vinyl was there.

"Let's get this party started!" she yelled into the microphone. Everypony began to dance and chat each other up. The party was really going now. The bass shook my skeleton and the leads pierced my eardrums.

"I'm gonna go find Twilight!" I yelled over the music.

"Okay! I'll find you if I need you!" she yelled back.


"There you are, Twilight!" I sighed in relief when I saw her.

"Oh, hey Levi!" she said.

"It's actually River now. I thought of a name to fit in better around here." I explained.

"That's good thinking." she said, smiling. "How's Ponyville treated you?" she asked.

"Oh, pretty well. I think I'm getting the feel for this place a bit better." I said, swaying to the beat.

"How's Vinyl?" she asked.

"Pretty good. She's doing well up there, I think." I said, watching her dance in her booth.

"Ahem. AHEM." Twilight had to coax me out of my gaze.

"Oh, sorry. I guess I'm getting lost in the music." I lied.

"Yeah, the music." she said skeptically. "I think I see what's going on here." she said slyly.

"What? Where? Going on where?" I asked, trying to skate around the subject I knew she was about to bring up.

"You like her, River." she accused, smiling.

I scoffed. "Ha! No, we're just roommates." I lied again. "There's nothing between us."

"Oh, come on! You think you can hide that sort of thing from me? I'm Princess Celestia's star pupil, don't try to fool me." she teased.

"Fine..." I sighed. "She's just been so nice to me since I've been here. It was a love at first sight thing for me. She just probably thinks we're just gonna stay friends. I don't have much of a problem with that, I just want to mean more to her than just 'buddy'." I explained sadly.

"Just ask her out! Nothing could go wrong." she said.

"Really? You'd be surprised." I said incredulously.

"Just say this, 'Hey, Vinyl. I wanna ask you something, but you have to promise that it won't hurt our friendship.' And then just ask her out for coffee or something." she explained.

Huh.

"You know, I might actually try that. Thanks, Twilight." I smiled.

"Go have fun, kid. Enjoy the party." she said, scooting me off.