• Published 7th May 2016
  • 4,660 Views, 1,953 Comments

Ratchet and Clank: The Starlight of Solana - Blackdrag-rose



Starlight Glimmer and Sunset Shimmer grow up alongside Ratchet on Veldin, where they begin an epic journey to save the galaxy.

  • ...
28
 1,953
 4,660

PreviousChapters Next
Tools: Sargasso

Starlight was pacing in her room aboard the Hyperion, going over what she and the others had found when they opened the ancient Lombax bunker on Rykan V. She managed to handle the birth of a demon that had the power to shake worlds to their core, managed to handle the fact that every villain wanted to piss said demon off, and even managed to stay calm while Vox held her sister's life over her and Ratchet's heads. She managed to keep herself extremely calm when Sunset had become the God of Destruction and had begun to learn what she was capable of doing with her new powers, even if she wasn't here now.

An inter-dimensional weapon, on the other hand, was powerful enough to do, well, anything; like bridge two dimensions together for a moment, open gateways to other worlds, and who knew what else. Such a weapon shouldn't exist, because there was so much that could go wrong with such a weapon, which meant that securing it was one of their highest priorities... if not their main one.

Starlight glanced at the holo-plans that were on her desk, which were additions to their armor that were supposed to counter everything that Red had told her about Ysmir, especially everything that was on the small chip that he had handed her. Red had apparently been watching Ysmir for some time, studying her attacks and noticing what elements she seemed to have control over, which was why he made several notes on little upgrades that could help counter said abilities. Starlight had taken the notes, watched a view of the videos to stop thinking about the Dimensionator, and had actually come up with several small nodes that could be added to their armor, allowing them to combat the powers that Ysmir commanded.

She still had no idea if they would have to fight Ysmir in the future, or if she was being paranoid about that, but right now it was better to be safe than sorry... especially when they had no idea what the future held.

After a few seconds Starlight stopped pacing and used her magic to move the tablet's screen to the other thing she had been studying, a series of spells that were centered around Time Magic, one of the most dangerous sets of spells in the spell books she and the others had been able to find. It was on the fragment that Red had handed to her back at the location that they had originally found Talwyn's station at, as if he thought that she might need the knowledge in the future. One other thought that Starlight had was that Red knew another ability of Ysmir's one that he was unable to capture on a recording, and this was his way of warning her about it, which meant she was only supposed to study the spells and not use them to her own advantage.

She had to admit that the allure to use the spells to figure out what happened to Sunset, and where she went with the Cores they had acquired so far, was definitely there, but at the moment she knew that she had to resist its siren call and focus on what was coming there way when they reached Sargasso.

"Its just knowledge," Starlight eventually said, sending the screen back and replacing it with the special weapon upgrade she had been designing for Ratchet's wrench, "maybe one day I'll put those spells to use... but for now I need to focus on getting the Dimensionater before our enemy does."

Ratchet, Talwyn, Angela, Clank, Cronk, and Zephyr were busy going over the maps that were associated with the area of Sargasso they would be landing in, so they could be prepared for anything and everything. Talwyn had also asked Starlight if there were any modifications that she could add to her war bots to increase their mobility and their ability to withstand damage, without falling apart, so in the end Starlight was extremely busy this time. There were plans to go over, modifications to make, spells to study and memorize, and craft everything they might need for a confrontation with Ysmir or Tachyon's soldiers.

Starlight considered using one of the spells to create a duplicate of herself so there was some way for her to get through all of this work, but in the end she decided not to use one of them and focused her mind on her work. Though as she started working on one of her many projects her horn glowed for a moment before the area in front of her desk lit up, which was followed by a second Starlight stepping out of the light.

"Um, who are you?" Starlight asked, though to be honest she felt silly for even having to ask the question to begin with, while feeling the need to have something explained.

"I'm you silly," the second Starlight replied, looking like an exact mirror image of the original Starlight, "or more accurately I'm a copy of you, created by a self duplication spell so you can get all the work done in the time you desire... though if we're being honest, we might need more of us for all of this work."

"But... I never cast a self duplication spell," Starlight said, not understanding how the copy could exist otherwise, as she hadn't felt any time energy being used when the copy appeared.

"Trust me, you definitely cast the spell," the copy stated, moving to the side and accessing one of the many projects that Starlight had yet to finish, to which she got started on completing it, "but I was being serious, you're going to need more than the two of us to finish all of this before its time to fight Tachyon... or Ysmir, depending on who each piece of equipment is made to counter."

Starlight opened her mouth to say something, but before she could actually do so she watched as the area lit up a few more times and produced three more identical copies of herself. She stared at them, and they stared at her in return, but eventually the original copy she had made gave them names, literally the numbers Two though Four, before putting them to work on various other projects. Starlight mentally moaned as she got to work as well, deciding that now wasn't the best time to be questioning her magical abilities when there was so much more to worry about... and promising that she would get something to drink when she and the others had finished taking down Tachyon an his forces.


When they finally reached Sargasso, and the Hyperion stopped outside its atmosphere, Starlight rejoined the others as they made their way towards the docking area of the ship. Talwyn, Cronk, and Zephyr were heading someplace else, as there were other leads for her to check up on that could have been related to her father, so she bid the rest of the group farewell before leaving. Starlight's mind thought back to her private work room, where the four copies of her were still going to town on the pile of items she had been meaning to make. She couldn't figure out how she had created them, accidentally she mentally added, or how to get rid of them before someone else found out about them, which was why she wasn't telling Ratchet or the others about them just yet.

However, when the two ships landed in the only available landing platform in the area, the group immediately spotted Red and his parrot standing beside a terminal that wasn't working at the moment.

"Are you following us?" Angela asked, because despite the fact that Red had been helping her family the entire time she was still concerned that he might try to sell them out at some point.

"Believe it or not, but I actually have some business to attend to on this planet as well," Red replied, though that was followed by him pulling out something that resembled the many hacking devices that Ratchet and the others had used over their many adventures, "I have the feeling that you'll be needing to use these launch pads so ya can get around the planet easier, which means that you'll be needing this Decryptor to power them up. Normally I would ask for some Leviathan Souls to cover my expenses, but for Kaden's kid I'd be willing to part with it for free."

"You might as well take the last couple of souls we have anyway," Starlight said, gently taking the device with her magic before handing over the remaining souls they had gathered, "There's no need to bankrupt yourself in the process of helping us out."

"You may not be related to Kaden by blood, but you sure remind me of him a tiny bit," Red said, to which he and Blue actually chuckled for a few seconds before regaining their composure, which was when he took the Leviathan Souls anyway, "Its funny in a way, because the Plumber told me that talking with you reminded him of Kaden... which I can see the more I stand with you and trade words. I'd tell you how I crossed paths with the Plumber, but I've got my prior engagement to deal with and you have some searching to do... so I'll tell you some other time when neither of us are busy."

The Decryptor was similar to all of the other hacking gadgets that the group had used during their adventures, though Ratchet noted that it would be easy enough to learn to use the device, being difficult to master at the same time. The terminal for the launch pads proved to be one of the most straightforward terminals that Ratchet had ever hacked into, as he was barely thirty seconds into his session when he cleared it and activated all of the launch pads in the area. Once Ratchet had turned the launch pads back online, and pulled away from the terminal, Clank mentioned that one of the strange creatures he had seen back on Kortog was floating in the air near the launch pad, which immediately told them what they needed to do next.

Once Clank's wings were out, and he was ready to guide Ratchet, the duo lifted themselves into the air and took off, though a few seconds passed before Starlight surrounded herself and Angela with her magic as she levitated them along the path that the others were going through. The path they were following took them around one of the massive creatures that dotted the landscape, through a small tunnel that had the ribs of a long dead creature around them, and around a small factory area until Clank had Ratchet land in front of a second rib cage tunnel. A few seconds later Starlight and Angela touched down behind them, to which they advanced through the tunnel and approached a building that was associated with the structure they had passed outside, where they fought some small red beetle creatures that wanted to bite them.

Ahead of the group of beetles was a small angry creature that was riding some sort of contraption, thought before they got close it opened fire and started throwing fireballs at them. Starlight grabbed the fireballs and sent them flying back at the vehicle that the creature was riding, which ended up destroying it in a matter of seconds, though they discovered another terminal they had to hack through. A few seconds passed before the door in front of them opened, revealing a gelatonium plant that they were going to have to fight their way through and an enemy that looked like the one that had been guarding the building's entrance... only this one was surrounded in plate like armor that formed a sphere of death when it charged at them.

Ratchet, who was the one holding the Gelanator, filled up the gadget and made a block of gel for them to jump on, to which they quickly made their way through the various jumps that were in front of them until they reached the second container that he had to empty the gadget into so they could progress. With the door that had been blocking their path opened for them, and revealed that their next destination was a path of ground with three more of the spinning enemies, so they floated down to the area in front of them and opened fire on their enemies. Once the enemies had been taken care of they pressed the three buttons that were on the ground and activated the platforms that were waiting to the left of the building they had jumped out of.

They then rode the first platform up the walkway that was in front of them before riding another one over to an ancient building that reminded Ratchet and Starlight of the ruins of Fastoon they had seen. Oddly enough they found a terminal blocking their path, so Ratchet hacked into it as well, before the door opened for them and revealed that two more of the creatures were riding in their vehicles on the other side. Starlight seized the two of them and smashed them together, which caused a group of beetles to erupt from the ground as a trio of small leviathans entered through one of the holes in the wall. The group opened fire on their enemies, quickly taking them all down with an ease that really upset Ratchet, before beginning their search for any clues as to where the Lombax testing facility was located.

Starlight immediately spotted something on the level above them, to which she levitated herself up there and found an interesting weapon sitting on the ground, one that she heard Aphelion mention that it was called the Alpha Disruptor... and that only a select number of them had been made before the fall of the Lombaxes. With the weapon acquired, and stored away for the moment, she moved towards the bolt crank that was in front of her and opened the door that had closed the moment she claimed the weapon. As they walked outside the ruined building they discovered that there was a bridge connected to the ground area they had pressed the buttons on, where they carefully walked over it as they looked for the hidden facility.

They stopped by the weapon vendor, to pick up additional ammunition and upgrade the new weapon to its full destructive capabilities, before they encountered a large creature that intended on killing them, giving Starlight the ability to test the ancient weapon out. With the upgrades unlocked Starlight as able to take out the creature in two shots, allowing them to collect its Leviathan Soul before they pressed the buttons around them and opened the platforms that they needed to take to move forward. As they rode up to the walkway that would take them closer to their destination they took out another vehicle that was blocking their path, as well as another two of the rolling enemies that were on the platform below them.

That was followed by them discovering an entrance to another area that appeared to be made of rib cages, bones, and a variety of other bones that were scattered everywhere, as well as taking care of some of the small leviathans and beetles that they found in their way. They then circled around the walkway that they had to follow before they came to another Lombax bunker, again with another terminal that Ratchet had to hack through. They all smiled as Ratchet quickly hacked through the terminal and opened the door, where they all prepared for whatever they could find inside the bunker... though when they opened a section of the room they found the Plumber standing beside some sort of strange machine.

"Oh, its you three... and miss Angela Cross!" the Plumber said, surprise definitely filling his voice as he focused his new glasses on her, which told everyone that he hadn't been expecting her to be there, "You're all just in time. I'm about to try out my revolutionary, high speed, interplanetary transportation gizmo... though, judging by your expressions, this isn't what you were looking for. I take it you were expecting something else? Something capable of vaporizing an entire planet of whatchamacallits?"

"Cragmites, actually," Angela spoke up, though she was equally surprised to meet the Plumber on this planet, considering the last time she and the others had seen him was when he was in the sewers under Nefarious' secret base on Aquatos.

"Well I hate to burst your bubble, but it doesn't exist." the Plumber said, though his tone indicated that he either knew something that he didn't want to tell them or was trying to stop them from searching for the weapon in order to protect it from falling into Tachyon's hands.

"That's because the Dimensionator doesn't vaporize things," Starlight replied, causing everyone to turn to her for a moment, as if they were even shocked that she had managed to figure out something about the ancient weapon, "its a weapon that's capable of inter-dimensional transportation. I've been reading the various reports and historic pieces that Aphelion was willing to open for me, after some private talking and promises, and I've been able to figure out that the Lombaxes that used the weapon merely pushed the Cragmites, including their armada and their planet, into another dimension... one without any other lifeforms."

"You know, if anyone else said that I would have burst into a fit of laughter that would have hurt me in some way," the Plumber said, though he did let out a small chuckle as he pulled something out and tossed it over to Clank, "I should have known that you would have figured out the specifics of the Dimensionator. Its funny, Red told me not to underestimate you, Starlight Glimmer, and yet I ended up doing so anyway. He also suggested that I be the one to hand you that golden three and three quarters cubit hexagonal washer, though we both agree that you might need it someday."

"Then we had better stop looking for it," Angela commented, letting out a sigh as she realized what Tachyon could do with such a weapon, besides opening a portal for the Cragmites to return to the universe.

"Well, only the four of you can come to an agreement on that," the Plumber said, to which he hopped into his machine for a moment, but before he flushed himself he turned to look at them once more, "Oh, and I wouldn't worry about your sister too much... she's in good hands at the moment."

Before anyone could say anything the Plumber tapped a button and was flushed down into his machine, which would send him someplace hat wasn't Sargasso. That was promptly followed by Clank's communicator going off, to which they all breathed a sigh of relief when Clank mentioned that it had been muted the entire time, which meant that Qwark had no idea what the Dimensionator could do.

"Guys, we have a Code Red at the arena," Qwark declared, though it was clear that he was worried about something, "The fans were cheering on Ysmir after her latest match and declared that she needed something more challenging than what Tachyon was throwing at her, so the Emperor came up with a horrible idea... he wants all of you to fight Ysmir in a special match tomorrow!"

Starlight moaned, because even if her copies were busy at work she knew that none of them were prepared for a fight with an opponent as mysterious as Ysmir was... but with a deadline she could potentially finish some of the more important projects. She only hoped that Ysmir didn't have any surprises up her sleeves, otherwise they were going to be in serious trouble.

PreviousChapters Next