• Published 31st May 2016
  • 644 Views, 21 Comments

Lily and the Dragons - Hyper44



After Lily's encounter with the mini dragon in the Everfree forest and receiving her super strength, she thought that that was the end of it. She was wrong.

  • ...
2
 21
 644

The Letter

Dear Twilight,

I’m afraid that I can’t guess what might be wrong with Leftfangs’ magic. Mini dragons have chosen to live separately from ponies for many generations now and even before that choice their magic was not well understood. I can however, tell you of what I do know. Our history with them dates back to the time when Hearths Warming Eve was still a new holiday and our kingdom had just begun to form. It is also intertwined with the effort to make Earth Ponies, Unicorns and Pegasus to put aside their differences. While many ponies of the three tribes had learned to live in harmony, things like this is unfortunately a long process. There were still ponies who harbored ill feelings and distrust for those of other tribes. If they could not respect fellow ponies why would they have respect for other creatures? But I’m getting ahead of myself.

Those problems aside things were going well. Equestria was becoming a thriving country. As is expected, ponies began to explore beyond their lands in order to make friends with creatures and civilizations lived outside their new home. It wasn’t long before they traveled beyond the place where the Crystal Empire would eventually stand. Past the Crystal Mountains, then called the Blue Mountains a community of small dragons were encountered.

At first it was just a typical fascination between two different cultures that suddenly collide. For the ponies these small dragons were so unlike known dragons and the mini dragons had never encountered ponies before. The Mini dragons began traveling to Equestria and ponies began to travel to the mountains. It wasn’t long before the wish magic was discovered and many ponies considered it an honor and a blessing when a dragon offered to grant a wish. However, there are always ponies in any tribe who feel greed and they sought to abuse it. As I said, if they would not trust and respect ponies because of wings, horns or lack thereof why would they respect the dragons? Especially when they could gain so much from it.

For earth ponies, who did not trust pegasus or unicorns, why ask them for good weather to grow crops in when you could just wish for it? For unicorns, why depend on the earth ponies for food when you could just wish for it to grow on its own at your home? For the Pegasus, why depend on the two other tribes for anything when you could just wish for it? From their view, having mini dragons were completely necessary for survival. Even if they knew better, who wanted to give up the comfort? When they found out that mini dragons could not teleport out of enclosed building or containers they took advantage of this and made dragons trade wishes for freedom. Sometimes many wishes. Many mini dragons found ways of deterring them or making escapes. Most notable was convincing ponies that they had to accomplish some sort of task for their magic to work. Despite this, many dragons were captured.

Many ponies protested this as they wanted friendship or had friendships with mini dragons. Ponies on the other side of the issue couldn’t care less what they thought and quite often fights broke out. Ponies began to form groups to fight against the practice and other ponies formed groups to fight back. But overall ponies could not stop it. Luna and I had not been given authority over the new kingdom yet so we only had influence but not power.

‘Wait! What!” Twilight exclaimed, “I’m going to have to ask her about that.”

To make a really long story short, more ponies began to rise up against exploiting dragons as they learned to trust beyond their tribe and once Equestria became an official kingdom we finally able to put a finally stop to it. Time began to heal old wounds and the past was becoming nothing more than a dark memory. Soon there would no longer be three tribes, just one Equestria. The Crystal Empire was created and transformed by love and towns grew into cities. New generations that only knew a world in which all three tribes lived together began to come. It was a glorious time but as always, nothing is ever perfect. Most mini dragons wanted no part in friendship with ponies, not even the ones who they stood alongside with when the true kingdom was formed since that would mean a connection with ponies in general. Most went back to the lands beyond the Crystal mountains while others found new places to live where few ponies ever traveled.

Years went by with mini dragons and ponies completely separated. Soon ponies began to forget or doubt that they ever existed. Generations upon generations have come and gone and now most documents and memory of them is almost completely gone. I have included a copy of the oldest writings that we have on them. The originals are too ancient to move or be handled often. Please keep me updated on how things go. It is great to see a mini dragon and a pony find friendship after all this time. Perhaps she can finally bridge the gap between us.

* * *

Leaves rustled in the canopy above her as Lily stepped into the Everfree Forest. She glanced around remembering the first time she had come here. Prickles sat in her mane peering out at the trees. He leaned out and looked at Lily’s eyes. “Curr?”

“You stay up there, ok? Don’t you dare wander off.” Lily instructed. Prickles nodded.

The soft whoosh of leathery wings in the air caught their attention. Red flashed through the trees as Leftfang flew towards them. He landed in front of Lily and folded his wings with a sigh.

“It sucks not being able to teleport,” he panted, “I had to fly half the night. Anyway, four dragons agreed to meet us.”

“Only four?” Lily asked though she was somewhat relived that it was a small number. “I think that Twilight was hoping for more.”

Leftfang shrugged. “More may come if you can impress these four. Remember, they may not respect or trust you but they will respect a clever mind. If you can impress them, which will be hard they MIGHT come. Huh, don’t even know why that princess thought this was a good idea. Probably won’t work and I still don’t think that it will help me. Make me the laughing stock of dragons more like it,” Leftfang grumbled more to himself than Lily.

“Princess Twilight knows what she is doing,” Lily assured him. “Anyway, it’s not like we have much to go on.”

Leftfang snorted. “Well it is too late to go back now. I guess I’m stuck with it. Anyway, whatever you do don’t underestimate your opponent. Green Claw will be there and if I know anything about him, he has appointed himself spokesdragon. I’ll tell you about him on the way.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll do my best,” Lily replied as she followed him through the trees. One Little pony to take the first step in bridging a gap.

Author's Note:

Don't worry this isn't it. The letter and the riddle combat made one really long chapter so I split it into two. I'll Upload this half now and try to get the next half up tomorrow after I wake up, so in about 12 hours. If not I should get it out by that evening.