• Published 31st May 2016
  • 644 Views, 21 Comments

Lily and the Dragons - Hyper44



After Lily's encounter with the mini dragon in the Everfree forest and receiving her super strength, she thought that that was the end of it. She was wrong.

  • ...
2
 21
 644

They really won't come

The sun rose over Equestria as the Princess of the Day reached out to it from the royal city. Even then her thoughts were not on the rising orb but on a small town that would soon be touched by its rays. So badly she wanted to be there but she knew it best to let her subjects act rather than do for them.

As the sun illumined Ponyville it revealed the festive streamers, banners and balloons that were displayed everywhere. The entire town was decked out to the fullest extent for the unprecedented event. All along the main street and around town hall booths stood covered with pony cuisine and gem studded dragon delicacies. Spike roamed among the booths taking a ruby cupcake here, a bowl of sapphires there. Just taste tasting to make sure everything was made right he insisted. The mayor stood on a platform in the town square editing her speech. On the end of town closest to the Everfree Forest Pinkie Pie snored in her party cannon still clutching a list of supplies with her disheveled mane hanging out of the barrel. Rarity carefully strutted about wearing her best diplomatic attire while Rainbow Dash darted about the skies making sure no cloud dared interfere with the perfect sunny day. Fluttershy was directing her bird choir while Apple Jack directed last minute preparations. School ponies ran helter-skelter through the streets causing much worry for Mr. and Mrs. Cake with their five-tiered confection wobbling on it’s platter.

Just outside of town a small crowd was gathered to wait for the guests to arrive. Princess Twilight Sparkle stood next to her student, Starlight Glimmer. Twilight was sorting through the books that Celestia had sent in while excitedly explaining all that she had learned to a group of Lily’s classmates. As much as they enjoyed listening they couldn’t help but keep glancing at the forest eager for the dragons to appear. Lily and Leftfang sat nearby with the dragon alternately muttering and glancing at the forest.

“I still don’t like it.” He grumbled “Sure, they may be able to help your princess and her friend come up with a solution but more likely I’ll have my reputation messed up along with my magic.”

“Or you could end up being a hero,” Lily replied determined to remain optimistic. Leftfang just snorted in response.

“So, smaller dragons were granted a magic more powerful than the ones who gained power through greed. The greedy dragons were forever cursed to have their minds and size linked to greed.”

“What about Spike, he’s not greedy,” A foal prompted.

“Being cursed does not mean you have to give into it. Spike chose something better,” Twilight replied.

“What about that one time? He destroyed half of Ponyville. I may have been young but I remember.” Another foal stated.

Twilight turned red and scratched the back of her mane as she floundered for an answer. Fortunately for her Starlight Glimmer stepped in. “Is that a usual thing for him to do instead of helping other ponies?” The foal shook her head. “Good, are there any other questions?”

“How about when are we going to stop listening to stories and stuff.” A colt snorted.

“Yes when? We’ve been waiting for some time now.” The ponied looked towards the new voice to where Flim and Flam were standing in the crowd. “We worked hard all night for this. What if they don’t even show up?” Flim asked. “I thought hard work was supposed to get you something?” He added with a raised eyebrow.

“They’ll be here,” Lily insisted.

“Or they might now,” Leftfang mumbles ruefully beside her but Lily ignored him. “If not we’ll just try again.”

Flim and Flam snorted, “I’m beginning to think that this whole thing is a waste. I doubt that even the first four will show up let alone others.” Twilight opened her mouth to reply but a loud crackling sound suddenly cut through the air. Flashes of light exploded in the field in front of the Everfree Forest. Ponies shut their eyes to the bright lights and when they opened their eyes blinking against the sports floating on their vision twenty-one dragons stood outside Ponyville. Lily had to resist smirking at Flim and Flam and a really nervous Leftfang shifted beside her.

A wind blew across the field ruffling pony manes and breezing over dragon scales while everyone stood still. After all the eagerness, from the ponies at least, both groups stood nervously staring at one another unsure just how to start. Ponies shifted on their hooves while the small dragons shifted on their claws. Lily could see Green Claw standing near the front of the crowd. He seemed to have no expression but Lily could see and angry glint in his eyes. She knew that he wouldn’t initiate the meeting. Lily realized that she should probably be the one to start things because she had been the one to invite them but that didn’t make her any less nervous than any other pony.

Suddenly a familiar yellow dragon with red spikes she wove through to the front of the crowd. She glanced left and right at the faces of the dragons standing around her then mumbled under her breath. With a snort she strode out of the crowd and smiled at Lily. “Hello, riddle master. Why don’t you introduce me to your friends?” She asked.

Lily smiled, “Everyone, this is Lemon Jade. She was there during my riddle battle.” A few dragons rolled their eyes as Lemon Jade eagerly waived at the crowd of ponies but tension began to break down.

“Ah-hem!” Twilight coughed, “As princess of Ponyville I am honored to welcome you to this gathering that celebrates new friendship that I hope will grow between us. Now that we have gathered together I hope that we can-“

BOOOM! “Parrrrty!” As the cannon echoed through the buildings Pinkie came skidding through the crowd of ponies in a shower of cupcake scented confetti. “Come on every pony and dragon! Did we come here to party or what!?” Ripples of laughter came from both ponies and dragons. After a moment’s hesitation, mini dragons slowly began following began following their hosts to the party.