• Published 16th Jun 2012
  • 889 Views, 39 Comments

The Alchemist - Hummingbirds



The universe had more in mind than the perfect world of equestria...

  • ...
3
 39
 889

A minor change

As the small student opened her eyes, she saw her mentor, with a content expression.

“My beloved, I am pleased to say that no harm has come. You may return to your home, I will send a letter to your friends shortly, explaining to them this new feature of yours. Please be safe, and as always, enjoy yourself. Farewell again, my student.”

“Farewell, princess.”

And with her words said, she turned, to face the grand doorway, and made her way home.

For reasons she could not place, she decided to take her time, and walk. She would be there by nightfall.

Rows of houses, erected centuries ago, next to modern estate. Vendors, stalls, fellow workers and ponies passed her by, nobody noticing. Walking down the mountain path, urban sprawl faded to scattered shacks and barns. Fields of wheat and greens painted the landscape around. The sky was clearing, slowly, as the sun followed its masters path yet again.

Soon, she neared a simple dirt crossroads, a simple wooden sign stood company.

She stopped, and looked up.

The sky was darkening, and the stars were clear. She looked, past the nearby galaxies that she had studied. She looked for the same system within her, to no avail. Yet she looked on, called by the stars.

The first seeds began to sprout, as she gazed longingly into the sky.

And slowly, ever so slowly, they grew.

With a small shake of her head, she began to head home. She was greeted by her friends, and enjoyed herself in one of the many parties of a certain pink one. Life, for now, was normal.

Exhausted, she pushed the front door of her tree’s library open. Her assistant was as tired as her, and quickly prepared for the night’s rest. She, as well.

Climbing into her bed, she began to pull the covers over her form, but half way, she stopped.

Looking out of her balcony door, she saw the sky again, perfectly clear. Thousands of faint, shimmering lights polluted the sky, some forming systems.

Inside the very depths of her subconscious, the seeds continued to grow. She would not notice, not now, but even seedlings, have power. Even seedlings, have roots, set into their soil.


She slowly turned her gaze to the silhouette of her assistant. He had been worried, bags formed beneath his still youthful eyes.

She decided to give him a little gift, to ease the pains.

She walked over, quietly, and gently touched her horn to his head, casting a simple spell.

She gave him a dream.

She cast a simple spell.

And gave him a day with rarity.


..or so she thought.