• Published 22nd Apr 2016
  • 742 Views, 8 Comments

Twilight's Think Tank - HiddenMac



With a threat to destroy the world looming, Princess Celestia summons the brightest minds to find a solution.

  • ...
2
 8
 742

Act III: Observing the Results

Twilight stood at the doors to the conference room, hesitant and fearful to show her face. The lavender Alicorn purposely waited until the meeting started so she wouldn't arrive early to confront Big Mac. She understood this would seem cowardly, but it might be the only way she could get through the meeting. When they finished, then she could apologize to him. She took a deep breath, figuratively wiped the emotions from her body with her foreleg, and slowly opened the door.

She walked in, only to be astonished to find Big Mac was not there. Fear and pity gripped her as she began to think she had humiliated the stallion to the point where he left the conference in shame. She stared at his empty chair as she dragged herself to the table. It took a moment to notice the other four members in the group were already seated, staring at the notes laid out in the center. None of them said a word nor even acknowledged her entrance. They all sat there fixated at the center in horrified silence.

"Uh..." she greeted, unsure of what to do, "...good morning?" she took her seat.

"Oh..." Sunburst finally acknowledged the newcomer, "...good morning twilight..." he greeted in a very somber tone.

"What's going on?" she inquired, curious at all the negativity.

The large bison to the other side of Sunburst spoke first. "Well, Miss Sparkle, Dr. Hawking and I were eager to get a head start processing the information we received last night, and what we found proved very disconcerting..." Dr. de-Grass Byson couldn't even take his eyes off the pile of papers in the middle.

"And what we found," Professor Hawking continued with his colleague's statement, "is that this comet is indeed on course to impact our world. From the trajectory of the object and our planet, we have concluded the comet will impact in nine days off the coast of Las Pegasus".

Dr. Whooves stepped in to give the final piece of bad news. "We also confirmed the analysis of its composition: it is comprised of heavier elements; mainly nickel, iron, lead, and iridium. Very little will burn up in the atmosphere, creating a cataclysmic impact". He started to shift tones to a more enthused disposition, "I have a theory on how this comet came to be! You see, I believe it started in the inner solar system with most the other heavy elements before the sun was formed! Then, it was flung...out..." he finally noticed the rest of the group did not care. "But...that doesn't matter now," he returned to his seat, sharing the same dismal appearance as his colleagues.

Twilight looked around at the rest of the group. Clearly, they had given into despair. Whether from ignorance or tenacity, she had to know if there was anything to be done. "Isn't there something we can do? Maybe we can use magic to teleport it by!" she was certain magic had to be the answer.

"Theoretically, yes," Sunburst added, "but a spell of that size would impossible to produce from a single pony, or even groups of ponies. It would take a combined dozens if not hundreds to cast a spell large enough and with an object of that size, that distance, and moving at that velocity, it would be impossible impact. No, I fear we must look for another solution".

Twilight joined the rest in staring at the pile of notes at the center of the table. She too started to feel the weight of despair. The world is about to end and there wasn't anything anypony could do to stop it. The brightest minds were gathered to solve a solution, but they were about to fail, leading to the ultimate destruction of everything. Long minutes ticked by with nopony, noBODY speaking a word.

The doors to the conference room slowly creaked open once again. Nobody reacted as the large, red farm pony slowly made his way to his seat. Big Mac appeared very disheveled; his mane was unkempt - more so than usual- , he had huge bags under his eyes, and his walk was more of a stumble. In fact, he had been up all night pouring over the notes and figuring out mathematical formulas he could use the next day. To his shame, he did it not so much for the greater good, but to prove himself to Twilight Sparkle, and maybe rub her nose in it. He had always been polite and gentlecoltly, but she wounded his pride to the point where he must achieve satisfaction.

Big Mac sat on his seat and threw a stack of papers down onto the table with an exaggerated SLAP!, startling all the members of the group. All eyes quickly moved to the unnoticed draft pony, still wearing his yoke, as he deliberately avoided diverting his attention to Twilight. He struggled mightily to stay awake when Dr. Whooves was the first to acknowledge him.

"OH!" he shrieked, "sorry Big Mac. You startled us. We were just...what do you have there?" he pointed to the new data presented.

"Solution..." Mac yawned.

"A solution? What solution?" the Doc asked with confused enthusiasm.

"Luna..." Mac stopped resisting and laid his head on the table, instantly falling asleep.

"Luna?" Doc questioned the unconscious stallion as he grabbed the new papers. He started to read, taking notice of the diagrams and formulas Mac drew on the top page to address his solution. "Great Whickering Stallions, OF COURSE!! LUNA!!!!" He exclaimed in triumphant celebration. "It's so simple! Why didn't we think of this sooner!

"Think of what?" Twilight asked while staring at the sleeping form of Big Mac. Dr. de-Grass Byson and Professor Hawking already appeared to understand the implications of the single name.

"You see," Dr. Whooves commenced with the explanation, "Luna and Celestia can move their respective heavenly bodies. Now, the comet itself is not of Equestria, so it cannot respond to their magic; they can't move it. However, Luna can move the moon! If she moves the moon and keeps it at a waning crescent phase, the gravitational pull from the moon will attract the comet just enough to pull it out of its current trajectory! It will then pass harmlessly beyond our atmosphere and be sling-shot away to..." he read further into the notes, "toward the Sun, there it will get an even greater boost as it circles around and gains enough momentum to be shot out of our system once and for all!"

The other members rejoiced, content in the fact this was a sound solution. Twilight still had follow up questions as she still fixated on the sleeping stallion. "Could this return one day?" she asked, apparently not paying complete attention to the last line of Dr. Whooves speech.

"No NO, my dear Twilight!" he quickly answered in jubilation. "It will give us one spectacular show before being flung out beyond the influence of our host star! It may effect some other planet filled with a bunch of naked, half-apes or something in hundreds of thousands of years, but it will be no longer our concern!"

The Doc turned his attention to Big Mac, unaware of his slumber, "we'll have to recheck your math for accuracy of course, it will help payback for all of the times you've checked mine! But this looks like our solution! Well done! Talk about Deus ex Mac-ina!" he rejoiced before observing the sleeping plow-pony. "Oh.." he then whispered, "we should probably let him be. But we need present this to the Princesses right away! Allons-y!" he proceeded to trot out with the rest.

Twilight remained behind a moment as she still focused on Big Mac. She brushed part of his mane away from his eyes while she stared sympathetically, as if she were trying to apologize. Shortly, she too got up to leave and catch up with the rest, turning out the lights to let Big Mac slumber in peace. Shutting the door, she hurried to catch up with the group. As chair, it would be her responsibility to present their solution to Princess Celestia directly.

"I am very pleased with your results," Princess Celestia congratulated her former student. After presenting her report, Twilight walked alone with Celestia down one of the castle's long corridors. The other members of the group had already left to celebrate at a nearby establishment, all except Big Macintosh who was still sleeping in the conference room. Twilight, who should feel jubilant and proud at heading the group that just saved the world, could only feel guilt and shame as she quietly accompanied her mentor. Celestia realized the disproportion in emotion and expressed concern at her behavior, "Is something the matter, Twilight?"

"I'm sorry, Princess," the smaller Alicorn replied, "I know I should be happy with the outcome. It's just that...I believe I failed. I was asked to head this amazing group and I didn't contribute anything. In fact, I insulted one of the smartest ponies in Equestria and he solved the problem on his own in spite of me! The summit didn't really accomplish anything; Big Mac did it all on his own, no thanks to me!" she halted and looked at the floor in morose.

Princess Celestia turned around to the stalled pony, "Not accomplish anything?" she questioned. "Twilight, when we first heard of this problem, we didn't even think it was going to effect us. I have seen objects like this before and never had a problem. Our first solution, would have been to try to blast the comet out of the sky. Thanks to your group, we found out what we couldn't do. That would have never happened without this exchange of ideas. As for Macintosh, maybe it was your indignation that pushed him to pursue the answer so earnestly. You might have, indirectly, saved Equestria as well! Don't dwell on this, learn from it. Make amends and vow to do better the next time".

Twilight appeared to have lifted her spirits. She didn't smile or show any signs of exuberance, but at least she was no longer staring at the floor in disgust of herself. She then noticed the last thing Celestia said as she asked in a confused manner, "Next time?"

"Indeed," Celestia confirmed, "I am quite taken with the idea of the greatest minds coming together to solve life's problems. Why should it only happen in the most dire of situations? I believe Twilight's Think Tank should become a regular event!" the Princess nodded with pride.

Twilight finally let herself smile, an observation that did not go unnoticed from Princess Cadance who was approaching from the other side of the corridor. "Well done, Twilight!" the pink Alicorn greeted, "I knew you could do it!"

"I had a LOT of help," she smiled back. Soon the smile gave way to a more serious demeanor, "but I have to talk to you about Flash..."

It was nine days later. The comet was supposed to strike early that morning off the coast of Las Pegasus. However, Luna moved her moon while the gravity from it attracted the comet away from its course. Its new path had it circle around the night sky until it would sling away toward the sun, just as Big Mac had predicted. Though it contained many heavy elements, much of the ice that was on the comet broke off and fell toward Equestria giving the inhabitants a spectacular meteor shower as the tail carved a path nearly across the entire sky. A momentous celebration was planned in Canterlot to mark the occasion and honor those who helped avoid potential Armageddon.

All except Big Macintosh. Whether from needing to return to work on the farm or out of spite, the plow-pony returned to Sweet Apple Acres shortly after the group was dismissed. Twilight's feelings of guilt increased with each passing day until she vowed to return to Ponyville immediately after the celebration. She had arranged a special chariot that would take her back so she wouldn't have to wait for the train the next day. When she finished with her packing, she summoned a Royal Guard to take her luggage to her chariot.

"All set Ma'am?" the white pegasus inquired.

"Yes," Twilight answered, "thank you. I'll wish to leave as soon as I can".

"As you wish," the guard took her luggage and proceeded to the door of her room. "Also," he added, "I must apologize for Flash Sentry, he is an idiot! We have purposely trained him wrong, as a joke!" Twilight grinned back at the guard; she was, to her surprise, already over her feelings for the recently transferred orange pegasus.

The celebration commenced in the early evening with song and dance. Ponies from all over Equestria joined in the festivities, as well as many delegates from beyond. Twilight's friends and Spike also made the train ride from Ponyville to celebrate in her accomplishment. She was glad to see them all, but she was most anxious to talk to her friend Applejack.

"Applejack," she asked cautiously, "how's, um, Big Mac doing?" She hadn't heard from the stallion since his abrupt departure. Applejack and Rarity took a quick trip back to Ponyville before returning for the celebration.

"Well, he's still sulkin' around," AJ responded, "hardly talks to anypony, more so than usual. He just spends his time alone; fixing equipment and finding any work to do, which ain't much seein' as how it's winter 'n all".

Twilight became disheartened at the news; her guilt grew even stronger. She would be glad to leave as soon as she could.

Applejack rest her hoof on Twilight's shoulder, "cheer up Twi, I'm sure the big lug will come 'round". The empty platitude gave Twilight little comfort.

Celestia took center stage. Now was the time she would turn the floor over to honor the members of the think tank. She wanted Twilight to say a few words, but with her former student in such a prolonged gloom, she decided to let the foreign delegates share the spotlight. Dr de-Grass Byson and Professor Hawking made their way to center stage as Celestia formally announced them. "I am most pleased to present," she announced in a formal tone, "our esteemed guests who helped save not only Equestria, but all the nations of our world!"

"Thank you," Dr. de-Grass Byson bowed his head out of respect. He now wore a formal vest, matching his tie depicting many astronomical objects. "It is a privilege to be here tonight, addressing all of you fine ponies. Not long ago, the thought of us all being here: bison, griffons, and ponies alike, would have sounded absurd. But through friendship, we came together to solve a profound problem; a problem that would have destroyed all our nations. We came together, not as neighbors, or even respected affiliates, but as friends. That ability to work so closely together and allow for the free exchange of ideas is what makes this gathering so special. With that level of openness, caring, and respect for our fellow beings, we have shown that we can even conquer the heavens themselves!"

Dr. de-Grass Byson yielded the floor to his handicapped colleague, who continued through his voice box, "through friendship, there can be no limit to what we can accomplish. The great mysteries of life will reveal themselves when we choose to work together and share the knowledge for the benefit of all. We believe the greatest gift the Universe will bestow, is the gift of finding there is even more to discover; mysteries waiting to be solved by those willing to pursue and share them. And the first steps of this great journey, should be taken in the company of friendship".

The audience cheered when the delegates concluded with their speech. What was to be the end of their world instead turned out to be gorgeous, romantic evening. The comet still filled the sky as many celebrated and observed its beauty with their very special somepony. It turned out to be a perfect evening, except for Twilight Sparkle. While the others enjoyed the festivities, she took the chance to board her chariot and travel back to Ponyville.

Author's Note:

Sorry, I don't really know anything from the Dr. Who lore to give an accurate depiction of his character. I did my best. As for Flash, I make no apologies.

Can you recognize the quote from my favorite movie? I'll try to put one in every story.