• Published 22nd Apr 2016
  • 741 Views, 8 Comments

Twilight's Think Tank - HiddenMac



With a threat to destroy the world looming, Princess Celestia summons the brightest minds to find a solution.

  • ...
2
 8
 741

Act I: Understanding the Situation

A fresh blanket of snow covered Ponyville as Twilight Sparkle made her way to the train station. Spike accompanied her to carry the luggage and see her off. He always enjoyed helping the Princess of Friendship with whatever she needed, but he also looked forward to some time off where he could just do nothing and, more importantly, catch up on his sleep.

"I'm surprised you're packing so little," the tiny dragon commented. "Usually you'd try to bring your entire library with you".

Twilight grinned and rolled her eyes, "I'll be staying in Canterlot. Moreover, I'll be working in the castle! I'm sure they'll have plenty of the books I'll need to research... whatever the problem is they're having".

When they arrived at the station, the place seemed deserted and the railcars sat empty behind the churning locomotive. With it being the middle of winter, few ponies had the desire to travel in the ice and snow. Twilight proceeded to board the car nearest to her when the Conductor interrupted.

"No no, Miss!" the pale-blue bearded earthpony greeted, "the Princess of Friendship gets to ride first class!" He offered to take her by the hoof and guide the princess to her own private car. Despite her title, Twilight was still uneasy about receiving preferential treatment.

"Thanks, but I'll be fine riding with the rest of the passengers. I don't want anypony to think I'm more important," she smile politely, trying to convince the spectacled rail worker.

Spike tugged at Twilight's tail to get her attention. "Uh, Twilight? I don't think anypony is going to mind," he pointed his thumb backward to the near-empty platform. The only other occupants of the Friendship Express today were a couple of stallions who had already boarded from the rear and an annoyed elderly mare trying to maneuver around Twilight.

"Oh... right! Sorry!" Twilight politely smiled to the cranky mare as she started to walk to her private cabin. "Now Spike, look after the castle while I'm away! And don't forget to feed Owlowiscious!" She climbed into her cabin still giving orders, " and don't forget to-"

"Twilight!" Spike interrupted, "I'll be fine! You just worry about saving Equestria, I'll worry about the castle".

"Right, sorry!" she apologized again. Twilight was nervous and unsure of what she had to do, that always made her question herself. Eventually she settled into the car and took a seat near the window.

The conductor pulled out his pocket watch to confirm the time "NEXT STOP, CANTERLOT! ALL ABOOOOOOARD!" he climbed onto the train when soon it whistled as is proceeded down the tracks. Twilight gave one last wave to Spike before she lost sight of him. Soon she will be in Canterlot trying to solve a problem she knew nothing about. And what of her friendship problem? Was it connected with this threat? She hoped Celestia would have the answers.

When the train reached its destination, Twilight disembarked only to be surprised to see who would greet her. It was Cadance, Princess of the Crystal Empire and her sister-in-law! When she blindly trotted over to greet her, Twilight bumped into somepony and stumbled to the ground.

"We gotta stop bumping into each other like this!" the orange pegasus soothingly apologized, helping her up with his hoof. "Still, if I have to, I'd prefer to bump into the beautiful Princess of Friendship!"

Twilight blushed profusely at this blue-maned pegasus. Flash Sentry was the colt of her dreams. He was cute, cool, kind, and showed interest in the once reclusive filly. She was a loss for words when the elderly mare once again had to maneuver around her. "Smooth..." the cranky mare sarcastically droned.

Cadance moved up to check on her sister-in-law. "Twilight! It's good to see you again!" she raised a hoof to dismiss Flash.

Twilight reciprocated her greeting with a hug, "Cadance! What are you doing here? Is my brother here? What about my niece?"

"No," the pink Alicorn responded, "they're back in the Crystal Empire. I came here to help in anyway possible. Sunburst has also been summoned to your meeting".

As they started to walk with Flash following behind with the luggage, Twilight asked her sister-in-law the meaning of the summit. "About that, do you know what this is all about? Why we're here?"

"Not really, Princess Celestia just asked to summon the brightest scientists, mathematicians, and mages from all the known lands. Whatever this is, it must have her really spooked." Cadance's voice could not hide her concern. Celestia has seen many problems during her long reign, but she always had a plan. Lately, it seemed the once sovereign monarch had to rely on other ponies more and more for help. Now, Celestia was openly asking others to find a solution. "Hopefully we will find out soon enough".

When they arrived in the throne room, Princesses Luna and Celestia were already waiting for them. "Princess Twilight!" the elder sister greeted, "It is good to have you here!"

"Though we wish it were under better circumstances," Luna added. She marched to greet Twilight and to dismiss Flash Sentry. "You may take her luggage to her quarters," she commanded, leaving the four Alicorn princesses alone.

"I'm staying in the castle?" inquired Twilight.

Celestia answered truthfully, "I'm afraid so. It is necessary for you to remain nearby should we have sudden need of your expertise".

"But what is my expertise?" Twilight hastily asked, "I don't even know what this problem is that I'm suddenly an expert at!"

The sisters looked around to confirm they were alone. Celestia motioned Twilight to follow as they made their way to the conference room. "I hope you can understand why we wanted to keep this a secret. We cannot afford to have a panic break out," Celestia whispered. "We have long withstood assaults and threats to our existence; using magic to preserve the natural order".

"But this threat is from the natural order," Luna added. "Not long ago, our Astro Pony discovered an object slowly moving in the sky. We believe it to be a comet; a dark, quickly moving comet. There is some concern that this comet in on course for our planet".

Celestia jumped back in, "Naturally, you can see this is a problem that goes beyond Equestria. That is why we asked for the brightest minds from everywhere to convene here to see if this really is a threat and what steps we could take, if necessary".

"Haven't you seen problems like this before?" asked Twilight.

Celestia was the only pony who could respond. "Not really," she said thinking back, "near-equestrian comets are extremely rare and our science hasn't been able to track them until a few decades ago. This situation is new to me, as well. That is why we called you here".

"We were hoping you would be able to find a solution," Luna spoke as they reached the door to the conference room.

Celestia turned to give her former student one last piece of advice, "On the other side of this door lies some of the greatest minds in Equestria and beyond. Seek their knowledge, experience, and advice should you doubt yourself. Do not be nervous, I'm sure you already know some of them". Celestia put her hoof on Twilight's shoulder for one last reassurance before opening the door, "I know you can do it, my faithful student". Twilight entered as the other three Alicorns took their leave.

In the room, Twilight could see the other members of the delegation. Across the circular table, she instantly recognized the brown earth-pony who instantly stood up to greet her and announce her arrival.

"Ahh, Princess Twilight! So good to have you here!" Dr. Whooves welcomed, "Now then, since we are all here, let's do a quick introduction so we can get this show on the road! This, as everypony should know, is Princess Twilight Sparkle, chair of our esteemed committee!"

Twilight waved, taking note of Sunburst and the two members she couldn't recognize.

"On her left," Doc continued, "is Sunburst: our expert in ancient spells and theoretical magic". Sunburst gave a shy wave as Twilight took a moment to remember him. He might not have been great in applied magic, but his knowledge of spells and how to use them surpassed even her own. She was certainly glad he was here, apart from having another familiar face.

Moving clockwise, she noticed a bison sitting next to Sunburst sporting a stylish mustache and a tie with numerous stars and planets adorning it. "Next," Doc introduced, "is Doctor N. de-Grass Byson, astrophysicist and director of the Hay-den planetarium!"

The bison gave a flourishing bow while adding "Salutations, esteemed colleagues!"

Twilight thought she recognized the griffon to the left of Doctor Whooves. He sat awkwardly in his wheelchair, pecking at a little machine to prepare his next statement after being introduced. "We are also honored to have the illustrious Professor Screechen Hawking with us!" the Doc looked to his left, calling attention to the handicapped griffon.

Professor Hawking played his monotone voice-box, "do not let the name fool you. Griffons are actually half eagle". He reacted with a smirk as the room began to chuckle. Twilight read many publications from the well-renowned professor, she was humbled by the fact that she was not only working with him, but chairing a committee that contained the legendary theoretical physicist.

Twilight stared motionless, taking in the fact that she was in the same room with the greatest minds known throughout Equestria and beyond. She felt honored that not only was she to be included, but chosen to lead. Never had she felt so proud of her education and accomplishments as she did now. Finally, Doctor Whooves introduced the final member of her think tank:

"And, last but not least," he politely recited, "Big Macintosh!"

"EEYUP!"