• Published 22nd Apr 2016
  • 741 Views, 8 Comments

Twilight's Think Tank - HiddenMac



With a threat to destroy the world looming, Princess Celestia summons the brightest minds to find a solution.

  • ...
2
 8
 741

Act II: Addressing the Variables

Twilight stared in disbelief at the large, red stallion seated to her right. She wondered how she could miss the draft pony she thought she knew so well seated right beside her. More importantly, she had no idea how the simple farmer could have received an invitation to this ultra-exclusive conference. There must have been a mistake. That silly mail-mare must have delivered the wrong letter again. Poor Big Mac will surely be exposed and humiliated once all the others catch onto him. Twilight must do something to help the plow-pony.

Big Macintosh finally noticed the Alicorn Princess staring a hole right through him. He looked to his left at the disbelieving Twilight in confusion. What has her in so much distress? Why is she so flustered looking at me? He nodded in acknowledgement to Twilight's uneasy stare.

She quickly looked away, mildly panicked as Dr. Whooves concluded the introductions with himself. Looking back over at Big Mac, she finally asked his intentions, "Big Mac! What are you doing here?" she whispered, leaning over so as to not call any attention. Before he could reply, Twilight cut him off. "Never mind!" she whispered, holding her hoof up to his muzzle, "just remain quiet! Let me do all the talking for you, I'll get you out of this".

Mac raised an eyebrow, clearly confused. Twilight didn't want to hurt his feelings, but this summit was too important to have him mess anything up or distract the others from finding a solution. The fate of the world might very well depend on work they accomplish in here. She would finish with the introductions, present the problem, and brainstorm only a few ideas before calling it a day. She was certain most of the other members would be tired from traveling all day and could use a good rest before starting fresh tomorrow. When they finish for the night, she could confront Big Mac and allow him to leave. He'll thank me for it! He must feel so overwhelmed!

Once he completed his long-winded introduction, Dr. Whooves finally got to the reason why they were all here. He brought out numerous charts and graphs, as well as some fuzzy images of the comet. "Roughly a week ago, our own Astro Pony discovered a large body moving through our system. After he confirmed it wasn't one of the ridiculous ornaments on his hat mobile, he alerted other astronomers across Equestria who confirmed that it was, indeed, a comet. We can surmise that because the comet is dark, it must therefore consist more of heavier elements and less of water. If an object like that were to strike, it could very well wipe out all life on our planet! Our objective is to figure out if it indeed poses a threat, and see if there is anyway to eliminate it. I have copies of all our relevant information for each one of us to study, but in the meantime, I propose we brainstorm and introduce a few ideas before calling it a night".

"AGREED!" Twilight quickly seconded, startling the others. Having already been aware of the situation, her primary concern was ending the introductory meeting and getting Big Mac safely out of here with as little attention as possible.

"Well then..." Doc asked unsure after such a boisterous agreement, "anypony have any ideas? Minding you do not have to actually be a pony, of course".

Twilight spoke first, stating the obvious, "well, why don't we just use magic to BLAST it?" It seemed fairly straight forward. But if it were straight forward, they wouldn't need a think tank.

"I'm afraid that would be unwise," the voice box of Professor Hawking replied,"that would bring a new meaning to the term 'rain of terror' ". Even when serious, he still liked to make jokes to lighten the mood. "We would not get a single comet, but many fragments of destruction spread across the planet".

"I agree," added Sunburst, "also, it would take a spell so powerful that Celestia herself may not be able to harness it. And even that may not be enough to sustain the energy through space".

Dr. de-Grass Byson also expressed concern, "plus who knows what a volatile spell like that would do to the atmosphere?"

Twilight was humiliated. Here she was heading the smartest group of beings in the known world and they instantly tore her idea apart.

Dr. de-Grass Byson proposed another idea: "Do you have any craft capable of transporting ponies onto the comet where they can destroy it from there?"

"I'm afraid not," responded Dr. Whooves, "and it would take months, if not years of designing a ship capable of making the journey, landing on the comet, and safely bringing the ponynauts home. We just don't have the time. This comet will approach within the next few weeks!" Doc turned his attention to the only pony to remain silent thus far, "Big Mac! Have you any ideas you wish to share?"

"NO!" Twilight quickly interjected, "I mean no, Big Mac is very tired, aren't you?" She looked over to Big Mac, who sat in wide-eyed confusion at the audacious mare. Before he could respond she spoke further, "as you can see, he's getting cranky because he's had such a long day! I propose we stop here for tonight and pick up again tomorrow".

"Very well," agreed Dr. Whooves, "everyone take a copy of the information to study and let's meet back here tomorrow, bright eyed and bushy tailed!"

Twilight smiled as she acknowledged the rest, now she would speak with Big Macintosh. He will surely like to thank her for covering for him. She stood up from her chair to meet him only to find he was already on his way out the door, "Wow! He really wanted to get out of here! Guess I was right. Still, I better see if he's okay".

Twilight walked through the doors into the palace hallway only to find her dear friend Rarity waiting for her. "Twilight! It's so good to see you, darling! I heard you were in Canterlot and wanted to see how you were doing!"

"Hey Rarity," Twilight greeted "Yeah, Celestia asked me to chair a summit with Equestria's greatest minds! I'm working with Dr. de-Grass Byson and Professor Hawking! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?!" she jumped on her hind legs in excitement.

"And apparently Big Macintosh as well!" Rarity added, "Applejack was here too, but she followed him; said he didn't look alright. He seemed normal to me..." Rarity, like most ponies, couldn't really tell with the limited range of emotions that Big Mac displayed.

"I think he just felt over his head, he'll be alright," Twilight explained. "So what are you girls doing tonight? You want to go out?"

"That sounds lovely!" Rarity cheered. "But we should get back reasonably early though, I want to be at the shop when it opens. See you in about half an hour?"

"Sure, I'll need some time to unpack and freshen up. See you then!" Twilight waved and started trotting toward her room.

Before she turned her head, she once again crashed into the toned orange mass of muscle that was Flash Sentry. "We just can't help bumping into each other!" the charming pegasus claimed, once again helping her up. Twilight blushed again, speechless at the cute pony guard with dreamy eyes. Flash broke the silence, "Princess Twilight, if I may be so bold, would you do me the honor of taking you out tonight?"

Twilight could only stammer and mumble. Flash stepped in closer to support the flustered Alicorn. "I'll take that as a yes. I'll meet you at the entrance in a bit. Until then..." Flash leaned in and gave Twilight a quick kiss on the cheek.

Twilight seemed to float back to her room, even without the use of her wings. The world may come to an end, but the only thing on her mind was that she found the colt of her dreams. He was stronger than Applejack, cooler than Rainbow Dash, and cuter than Fluttershy. He could get any filly he wanted, but he wanted HER! No pony in history would be as lucky as she felt in that moment. She had to go tell the girls.

"THE GIRLS!" she suddenly snapped back to reality. She had just promised to go out with them before agreeing to go on the date! What was she going to do now! "Calm down, Twilight!" she assured herself, "Rarity will certainly understand. And Applejack... I'm sure she will come around". She walked up to the mirror humming a sweet tune while brushing her mane, "Everything's going to be fine..." She lost herself in her thoughts while continuing to brush, "better than fine....perfect...."

Twilight finished freshening up. She had an attendant find the best dress she could, along with matching jewelry to prepare for her big night. She seemed to skip down the hallway when she swore she could hear Rarity arguing with somepony. "She must be at it with Applejack again..." she smiled and rolled her eyes. Approaching closer she thought she heard a stallion's voice. Puzzled, she quickened her pace to see with whom Rarity was yelling.

"NOT ON YOUR LIFE, PAL!" Rarity was clearly repulsed by this amorous suitor.

"Oh, come on babe! You know you want FLASH! Everypony wants FLASH! Even Princess Twilight wants FLASH!" Twilight stopped, frozen in stark realization. Apparently while waiting for her, Flash Sentry had caught site of Rarity and pursued the unicorn fashionista.

Rarity herself was thoroughly unamused and uninterested, "YOU...you SCOUNDREL! Just wait 'til Twilight hears of this!"

"YOU WON'T HAVE TO!" Twilight appeared from around the corner.

Flash froze in fear, his "dreamy" eyes as far wide-open as they could go. His attempts at backpedaling proved ineffective as he soon hit a wall. "Twilight?!" he shrieked, his hoof caught in the proverbial cookie jar. "What?! It's.... NOT WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE! SHE WAS COMING ON TO ME!!"

"WHY YOU..." Rarity started before she noticed Twilight creeping forward, digging her hoof into the ground as if she were going to charge. Rarity quickly grabbed hold of her irrational friend before she would do something she'd regret. "Twilight, dear! He's not worth it!" She turned her eyes to Flash, staring daggers at him, "I think you'd better go! Before you want a scorned Alicorn Princess after you!"

Flash beat a hasty retreat as fast as his hooves could carry him. Bereft of all her prior joy, Twilight sank, sobbing as her dream-colt turned out to be too good to be true.

Rarity knelt beside her heart-broken friend to reassure her, "there, there... It will be alright!"

"I thought I found the best pony in the world," Twilight cried as Rarity consoled her, "but he turned out to be a fraud! He doesn't belong with the Royal Guard!"

"I know dear," Rarity agreed, "well I didn't know, but I had my doubts." Rarity was no stranger to flirtation; she could easily spot the difference between a truly charming but well-meaning stallion like Fancy Pants and a sophomoric reprobate just looking for a good time. She was able to instantly identify Flash Sentry for what he truly was, whereas her inexperienced friend could not. "Colts that cute with an overly charming and outgoing personality are usually all flash, but no substance. I mean, it's even in his name, darling!"

Twilight snorted a tiny laugh at the pun.

"And to think, he tried getting my attention with that whole 'bumping into each other' line," Rarity mocked with exaggerated hoof quotes. "Come on, we can still have a girls' night out and forget all about that degenerate". The sympathetic unicorn helped her still sobbing friend back up, "we should get going, Applejack is already waiting for us".

"She is?" Twilight inquired wiping away her tears, "why'd she go on ahead without us?'

"Well..." Rarity thought of a way to put this delicately, especially given what Twilight just went through. "Apparently she is upset with you".

"With me? What did I do?" Twilight was quickly running through all of her emotions today. She was confused, concerned, ecstatic, sympathetic, humiliated, glad, in love, then betrayed. Now she was back to confusion.

"I'm sure it's nothing," Rarity was hoping to avoid the issue, "let's meet up and see what this is about. I'm sure it's not the end of the world or anything!"

Applejack reserved a private table in the patio section outside the restaurant. It wasn't a fancy establishment, but neither would they have to tolerate the clamor of dozens of families cramped into a cheap dining parlor. It was just a nice, casual place to unwind after Rarity dragged her around to various shops and theatres. Twilight could also use some relaxation after traveling and meeting in the castle. The orange earth-pony sat anxious, glad to have another friend to take some of Rarity's attention off her, but she also had to have a talk with the Princess of Friendship for her brother's sake. Applejack rose to her hooves when she saw the Princess approach the table. They were a little later than Rarity said they'd be and it appears as if Twilight had been crying. AJ figured the situation with her brother would have to wait a bit, so long as Rarity didn't already spill the beans and that's why Twilight was upset.

Twilight sat first, immediately cutting to the chase, "Rarity said you were upset with me. Did I do something wrong?"

Applejack was a little taken aback; usually she was the one who normally got straight to the point. She wasn't use to the shoe being on the other hoof. "Never mind that now, Twi. Are you alright? You look a might shaken up there. Anythin' I can do?"

"Not unless you want to talk about how bad stallions are," Rarity spoke for her friend.

That was not the conversation about a stallion Applejack was hoping for. Maybe Big Mac did something to her? she wondered. Nah, couldn't be. Rares said she was mighty cheerful coming out of that meeting. Must have something to do with another colt. What's that one she always gabbin' on about? Flashy Sentinel or something? Confident enough that she'd identified the culprit, Applejack inquired as to what happened, "somethin' happen with that guard pony?"

"Yes!" again Rarity spoke, "he turned out to be quite the lout!" She was brushing Twilight's hair wile the Alicorn laid her head on the table, still in melancholia.

"Ah had a feelin' he was good fer nuttin'," AJ stamped her hoof on the table, "Always rubbed me the wrong way!"

"Please," Twilight interjected, "enough about Flash. The less said about him the better". She just wanted to move on and pretend he never existed. But she still had to know why her friend was upset with her. "Can you just tell me why you are upset with me?" she asked AJ again.

Applejack acquiesced, "not so much upset with you as disappointed in that big oaf of a brother of mine. Big Macintosh needs t' learn how to stand up fer himself! He's always lettin' others speak fer him, and then gets too sensitive when they end up insultin' 'im!"

Twilight looked at her friend, confused. "I don't understand, did I do something wrong? I thought I was helping him," she wiped her eyes with her napkin before taking a sip from her water. "He would have been humiliated, I didn't want him exposed," she truly thought he'd be grateful.

"EXPOSED?!" Applejack spurted out in shock; even Rarity seemed surprised. She soon composed herself, realizing Twilight might not have known. She had, after all, only been living in Ponyville for a few years and spent very limited time around the quiet draft pony. In actuality, they were more acquaintances than friends. "Twilight," Applejack continued after her outburst, "there's a reason Mac was called to that there meetin': he's a cert-i-fi-able GENIOUS!" Rarity nodded in agreement.

"Wha..." Twilight responded in open-jaw disbelief.

Applejack continued on, bragging about her big brother, "I know yer smart, Twi, but when it comes to fancy mathematics, ain't NOpony better than Big Mac! But he takes pride in that, and Ah don't envy you the next time ya have to face him!"

Twilight continued to sit in silent shock. Her eyes widened at her sudden humiliation when she finally realized that, instead of thinking he was the pony who didn't belong, that she herself might have actually been the simpleton in the room. Then she went so far as to treat him like the simple farm pony she thought he was. Perhaps it was poetic justice that Flash treated her so bad as punishment for her treatment of Big Mac.

Applejack felt she needed to continue to explain, "he was what you'd call one of them... 'pro-dijjers', " she tried unsuccessfully to pronounce.

"Prodigies?" Twilight corrected.

"Yeah, that 'un," AJ pointed at the lavender princess. "He had scholarships to all the fancy schools: Canterlot, Everton, even a full-ride to Stallionford University out there 'n the west coast!" she pointed presumably toward the west. "And that was all before he got his Cutie Mark!" she tapped her hoof on the table to emphasize her point.

Twilight stared in curious disbelief, "Did he go? What happened?!"

"He got his Cutie Mark," Rarity responded matter-of-factly. Being the only other pony in their group to grow up in Ponyville, Rarity was aware of some of the Apple Family history.

Twilight looked confused. Rarity glanced back at Applejack, knowing it wasn't her place to tell the whole story. AJ looked down at the table, feeling sorrow at past events that haunted her and robbed her brother of his potential. "It's..." she started, "a deeply personal, family issue. Needless to say, he had to remain on the farm. He loves it very much, and tries to keep his wits sharp by teachin' himself. But Ah often wonder what might have been".

The three mares sat in awkward silence, contemplating on the tragic events that befell the Apple Family and turned Big Mac into the quiet farm pony he is today. Mac took everything life could throw at him, but he didn't complain; he couldn't. He had to find a way to feed his sisters, one a filly and the other just a foal, with only an elderly grandmare to help. In time, he would return Sweet Apple Acres to its former glory, and then some. He'd use his "fancy mathematics" to expand and run the farm far more efficiently to produce greater harvests than it had ever seen, with only two ponies for labor. He would run the books and plan for the future, while Applejack would eventually take over managing the day to day operations. She might get more recognition and glory, but he could live with it, he assumed. As long as she didn't become some "great hero of Equestria", she can have the credit; it would be gentlecoltly thing to do after all.

Twilight finished her meal, the entire time focused on how she wronged Big Mac out of ignorance; how badly she treated him. She'd nearly forgotten about Flash Sentry, the pony she loved just a few hours before and has since crushed her heart. Now she was focused on a stallion with much less flash and much more substance, and how she wanted to go anywhere but to face him tomorrow. The problem of the end of the world might have to solve itself without her.