• Published 16th Apr 2016
  • 10,331 Views, 199 Comments

A Glimmer of Hope: The Beginning - Mewrilah

  • ...
49
 199
 10,331

Everything's Fine

“I’m so happy for you three!”


“Whoowee! Ah sure wasn’t expecting that little twist.”


“Let’s throw a party to celebrate everypony!”


“Twily, how come you didn’t tell me sooner?”


The chaotic conversation among most of the ponies was not what worried Nick. At least they were voicing their opinions and emotions. What truly worried Nick was how silent and calm Celestia appeared. Yes, appeared. Deep down, Nick knew that the alicorn most likely was fuming mad that he had the audacity to get romantically involved with her sister and student. Twilight and Luna picked up on this as they were now looking at Celestia as well. Soon everypony was gazing at Celestia, anticipating her reaction.


She smiled.


“Nick, may I please have a word with you, alone?”


“Sister, now before you do anything brash-”


Too late, Celestia had already zapped herself and Nick out of the hall. Luna tried to follow but was bounced back into her seat. She had forgotten that her sister had a ward around her room, just like she did, and only their own magic let them in. That was one reason why they had to “wake” each other up to start their day. Cadance took this opportunity to start the questions.


“So how long have you three been a herd?”


“Three weeks now,” Luna replied, deciding to let her sister vent. While she pitied Nick and what he was probably dealing with right now, he would be fine. Other than some stern words from her sister, Nick would remain unscathed. If he was hurt, ward or not, she was going to intervene.


“A whole month you’ve been together and you never told me?” Shining repeated, obviously hurt by his little sister not telling him sooner.


“Well at least we told you we were dating and didn’t wait until our wedding day,” Twilight retorted, before adding, “Not that we have thought that far ahead.”


“Yeah, but you knew Cadance, she was there for most of your foalhood. This wolf just suddenly appeared in Equestria and was found to be the newest Element? For all we know he could be a changeling in disguise with some ulterior motive. No offense Luna, but how did he convince both you and my sister into a herd with him? You two don’t actually feel that way about each other do you?”


“Shiny!” Cadance scolded her husband. “Do you really think I would be so happy for them if I didn’t feel any love from them. Even just arriving on the castle grounds I could feel their affection, and it was so intoxicating when Twilight and Nick entered the room. I could even feel auntie Luna’s heart racing upon seeing them. Also I could feel love coming out of Nick as well, something a changeling couldn’t do. They only feed off of love, not reciprocate it.”


Shining tried to argue with his wife, but saw it was pointless. After all it was her job to enkindle love in ponies and help them maintain that love. “You’re right honey.” He smiled at his little sister. “I guess it’s just that you’re growing up so fast, Twily. Being an Element of Harmony, becoming a princess and defeating three supervillains with your friends, one of which I was prisoner to. I’m really happy for you sis. Mom, dad you haven’t said anything?”


The Sparkles looked at each other before smiling and nodding their heads.


“I trust Twilight in her decision making, after all she always made sure she had the facts before making a decision,” her mom answered.


“Also Nick has done some amazing feats for only being in Equestria for two months. Taking on a pack of timberwolves and a manticore? He’s definitely strong enough to protect our precious little star,” her father teased.


That eased some of the worry on Twilight’s heart, which she looked to her friends for their approval.


“Well, ah knew you and Nick were a thing since last week sugarcube,” Applejack spoke up. “Saw ya napping on his side in the park. Nick’s a real hard worker, and even though he’s not an Apple, all of us on the farm consider him part of the family. Plus you and Luna seemed to hit it off well that one Nightmare Night, so there’s no reason to not support yer decision.”


“Yes, darling,” Rarity chimed in. “Why just last week Fluttershy and I ran into him, and instead of brushing us off to be with you two, he took time to chat with us. Not only that, he’s such a gentlewolf, doing odd jobs around Ponyville. He is definitely a keeper. Honestly I’m not surprised you all are a herd, with the way he’s talked about both you and Luna whenever he came to the boutique to model for me.”


The rest of Twilight’s friends agreed, how each one noticed how close the two seemed to be, especially when Nick was hospitalized. Twilight and Luna explained what had happened to the ponies not there. Glad that everypony seemed to be ok with the decision, they all wondered to Luna what her sister was doing to Nick.


“Probably just lecturing him on how important I am to her,” she said half-heartedly. “Or rather how important Twilight and I am to her. Which honestly I see no purpose. She has set me up with ponies that only had status to their name and had no issue in doing so. All I can say is that we wait until she finishes.”


“I know that I took you from your world and have placed a very demanding task on you, but that doesn’t give you any right to play with my sister’s or Twilight’s emotions,” Celestia glared at the wolf in front of her.


Nick stood his ground. Even though Celestia was an all powerful deity, he wouldn’t let that stop him from defending himself. “You really think that I’m the type of person that would do such a thing?”


“That’s another thing, does Twilight even know what you truly are?”


“Yes, she learned that when she and your sister came to visit me in my unconsciousness. I also showed them the true nature of the human race, not in full detail, but I did not sugarcoat ANYTHING.”


“So they know the true reason why you’re here?”


“Yes, they do AND they accepted it. If you don’t trust me with Luna and Twilight, how could you possibly trust me with the fate of your world?”


“My world would be brought on its head if either one of them were to get hurt. We have faced threats in the past and Equestria has come close to being entirely destroyed, but we were able to repair the damage. A broken heart is not so easily fixed.”


“You think I don’t know that Princess? Despite what ‘aura’ you felt from me the day we met, I’ll let you know my past was nowhere close to perfect.”


“Then why don’t you tell me about it then?”


Nick exhaled. Despite having to recall all of that mess he showed Twilight and Luna, this would be his best bet that he had no intentions of hurting either princess. Taking a deep breath, he began to recount his whole life’s story.


Celestia was slightly moved by Nick’s lack of friends growing up, but her stubbornness kept her from changing her attitude. When he got to being with Sabrina, she was more moved by his hard decision to let his first love go, which reminded her of sending away somepony she loved dearly and commented that that was a noble decision. Nick continued on, even if Celestia didn’t need any more convincing. She needed to know exactly what he had been through. It took Nick a little longer to tell her about Alex, as he had to pause multiple times to regain his composure. When he did finish, Celestia’s demeanor had drastically reversed. She was now sympathizing with the wolf, and came to understand that Luna and Twilight had shown him affection he hadn’t felt in years. She was about to hug the wolf, before he held up a paw, telling her there was one more part.


“Nick, you have already convinced me that you have no ill intentions. I now believe you that you honestly love Twilight and Luna.”


Nick just looked into the alicorn’s eyes. Celestia, with her years of experience, could see that Nick’s eyes were pleading with her to let him finish saying his peace. Seeing as she had caused him to recount all these sorrowful memories, she simply nodded for the wolf to continue.


“I don’t know if you remember me telling you about how I lived about myself and didn’t really keep in touch with my family,” he paused and once Celestia nodded he resumed. “That wasn’t entirely true. My parents died in an accident three years ago and as a result my brother abandoned me, my parent’s will giving him everything and never speaking to me again. Luna and Twilight saw most of my past when they entered my subconscious and anything they didn’t see I told them exactly as I have told you. I would rather have them not know all about my past, nopony should have to experience or even think about what I have gone through. But I would never use my past to gain pity, there are more humans that have gone through worse.”


Nick let all of what he said sink in with Celestia, hoping she wouldn’t accept their herd just based on his past. He wanted her to see that he truly loved Twilight and Luna, and he had won their love as well.


I’d be glad to show her some of your more “romantic” moments if you like, Nick?


“Conscious?” Nick asked, although he was surprised to see that Celestia had also seemed to have heard his conscious as well.


“I thought I asked you to keep an eye on Nick, Discord, and let me know if there were any developments. I’m not sure of your priorities but I’d say anything involving both Luna and Twilight is a major development.


Discord, or Conscious, whatever it was then appeared between the two. Right from the moment Nick saw him, he remembered reading about the draconequus in the castle library. Still even from seeing Discord in the book could not prepare him for what had just appeared. He stepped back, unsure how to answer the creature’s entrance.


Seeing as the wolf was at a loss of words, Discord introduced himself.


“It’s a pleasure to finally meet you, Nick,” he stuck out a claw, which Nick hesitantly shook. “Although technically the pleasure should be yours, I’ve already met you.”


He then turned to Celestia.


“I was looking out for your sister’s and pupil’s best interests, Kay-kay. Had I sensed any ill feelings among any of them I would have taken care of it myself. Even though I don’t particularly care for either one, Fluttershy would be saddened if Twilight’s heart got broken. That I wouldn’t stand for.”


“I’m glad to see where your priorities lie,” she huffed. “We all trusted you to stop Tirek, but you ended up betraying us. I see it was foolish to trust you again in simply observing Nick and his dealings with Twilight and Luna.”


“I did observe them and their… blech ... cuddles and dates. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary and both of them looked the happiest I’ve ever seen. Why do you have to rain on their little parade?”


With that he summoned a little raincloud which soaked Celestia. Nick wasn’t too sure how to respond. He was a little annoyed that Celestia had this villain stalking him, which led to another thing. Why the heck was he left free to roam?


“Don’t worry Nick, I’m no longer a bad guy, although the way you interpret that can vary,” the draconequus picked up on the wolf’s internal conflict. “I still love chaos, but I won’t plunge all of Equestria into it all willy nilly. Fluttershy wouldn’t approve.”


“So you are reformed? If that’s the case how come the other villains can’t be?”


“Until you showed up, nopony except me knew that they would return,” Discord replied, gaining an annoyed look from Celestia.


“And you didn’t tell me this because?” she cocked an eyebrow at him.


“Would you have believed me?”


“No. Not at first, after all you have played some pranks that were in bad taste,” Celestia answered, frowning at the one time Discord decided to impersonate her for a day. Things still never really got back to normal after the mess he made.


“Then why waste my time trying to convince you? Besides you ended finding out anyway, after I suggested you do some tidying up around here. So in a way I did let you know, just not directly. Also to answer your question Nick, the other villains have a different way of expressing their darkness. For me a simple joke will suffice, but for say a brute like Tirek, only world domination will satisfy him.”


Celestia turned to Nick to resume her questioning. “How are you sure that both Luna and Twilight are not in love with you out of pity?”


Discord shot his hand up and jumped up and down. “Oh, oh I know the answer to that one!” Without further ado, he pulled out a projection screen and proceeded to replay ALL of their dates, including when he announced his decision to date the mares.


“You even made sure that they knew you would die of age,” Celestia whispered softly, this a reminder of why it was centuries since she last courted another pony. She shed a tear when both mares spoke about how they would rather be lovers at his deathbed than just good friends. The screen didn’t stop just at dates, it continued showing all of Nick’s interactions with the mares, from Luna’s first encounter with the wolf to Twilight’s breakdown at seeing Nick injured.


“Now I see,” she smiled. “All three of you have been through so much in the past month, it’s no wonder that it seems you have known each other longer. I was overjoyed that my sister had found a friend in you, and now am glad to see that she is able to open up more of herself to you and Twilight. With that you have my blessing to continue your herd.”


“You really mean that?” Nick was relieved. Honestly, it was both Twilight and Luna that kept him going, encouraging him to push himself to the limits. Although it had no correlation, at least that he couldn’t see, after he entered into their herd his strength seemed to increase as well as his magic prowess, as if something inside him was growing because of their love.


Celestia nodded. “However,” she looked him straight in the eyes. “If you dare hurt either one of them, you will answer to me and hero or not, you will be sent to your own Tartarus on the moon.


Nick thought about her threat for a moment. If he was dead, would that still count? Could Celestia still exile him in the afterlife? Eh, that wasn’t important now. He should be happy that probably the hardest pony to convince of letting their herd remain was fine with it.


“I will gladly accept the consequences should that come to pass,” he replied in the same tone she used.


Celestia smiled and gave the wolf a hug. “Then in that case let’s tell everypony the good news,” she turned to address the draconequus in the room. “Are you coming Discord?”


“And miss seeing Fluttershy on her visit here? Come on Celly, I thought you knew me better.”


“They sure have been in there for a long time,” Twilight worried to Luna, who frowned.


“Don’t worry Twilight, I can still sense his love, although for some reason it has been fluctuating,” Cadance reassured her sister-in-law.


“Probably when my sister was yelling at Nick,” Luna sighed, playing with her fork. “I love Tia and am thankful for her looking out for my best interests, but honestly she needs to trust my judgement.”


“And that I do,” Celestia announced as she, Nick and Discord entered the hall. “I just needed Nick to be sure of the consequences of breaking the hearts of two mares that are very important to me.”


Both Twilight and Luna answered by rushing up to the wolf and hugging him, which he really needed after facing Celestia’s minor wrath. The ponies in the room smiled at the sentiment. The same couldn’t be said for a certain draconequus.


“Ugh,” Discord spat his tongue out. “So now that you are ok with everything Kay-kay, does that mean I’m relieved of my baby sitting duties?”


Celestia stared daggers at him.


Everypony was now staring at the flustered princess.


“It was a precaution following Nick’s hospitalization,” she explained. “Seeing as he could be injured, I asked Discord to oversee Nick’s training and his encounters in the Everfree. With that being said, I would still like you to keep an eye on Nick when he faces the creatures of the Everfree, especially since the one’s left are the hydra and basilisk. However, I’m sure the herd would appreciate their privacy when they are together.”


“Actually just the hydra, I saw the basilisk's body in the manticore’s den,” Nick spoke up. “And I’d actually appreciate it if Discord was there, the hydra would definitely be a pawful and then Twilight and Luna wouldn’t have to worry so much.”


“As if knowing that clown over there watching over you would calm my fears,” Luna snarked, holding Nick tighter.


Discord was about to say no, before he saw Fluttershy towards the back, her eyes pleading with him to make sure her friend’s love stayed safe.


“Alright, I’ll make sure the mutt over here stays safe,” he sighed crossing his arms. “But don’t think I’ll enjoy one minute of it.”


That being settled, Nick, Twilight and Luna went back to their seats, where they then told everypony of their plans to announce their herd at the Grand Galloping Gala, in which Rarity was all too excited to volunteer to make their outfits. The challenge of making them “personable but still matching” was a very enticing challenge. The herd smiled and said they would be delighted to have Rarity be their seamstress.


The rest of the lunch went by casually, now that the tension earlier in the room had dissipated. However there was one thing still on Nick’s mind: How much did Discord know?


A few days had passed since they broke the news and Nick was currently in his home, waiting for his “guest”. Twilight and her friends were getting ready for the Gala, and wanted to keep it a secret from him, so he mostly spend his days in the castle, reading up on the hydra, doing some scouting or just lazing around. They even invited Luna along too, leaving him to his own devices.


Seeing as he had time on his paws he decided to find out just what Discord knew. Obviously he knew that the draconequus had been watching him since his meeting with Celestia, but what details did he actually pay attention to? Maybe when he met the Tree of Harmony, Discord decided to do better things. At first he wasn’t too sure how to summon the draconequus, so he did what he knew: Called out to him aloud. Sure enough a little sticky note popped out of thin air which read:


Nick,


Currently I am having tea with Fluttershy. If you are in mortal danger, just keep running until we finish. I’ll be there in 600 x 3 seconds.


Chaos galore,


Discord


As soon as he finished the paper folded itself up and flew away.


“Figures my ‘guardian’ had to be the most random creature I could get,” Nick sighed, before pulling out his Daring Doo book and continued where he left off.


As promised, Discord arrived on time, which Nick didn’t really expect from the Spirit of Chaos. Still at least it seemed the draconequus was cooperating.


“I’m guessing you are wondering why I called you here,” Nick started.


“Not really,” Discord replied flatly, removing his eagle claw, extending it by the base and proceeded to scratch his back with it. “But now that I’m your babysitter, I decided it would be rude of me to ignore you completely.


Nick rolled his eyes. “Since neither one of us wants to have this conversation, I’ll make it brief. You said that Princess Celestia ‘assigned’ you to me after I fainted, however I have a sneaky feeling you know a lot more than me being a human. So, I just want to know if you know any more about me?”


“Hmmm,” Discord used his detached claw to scratch his chin. “Well, I’ve seen your tragic, sad backstory, how you and Kay- kay actually met, how you are supposed to sacrifice yourself for the Tree of Harmony, all your internal conflicts and of course how you, Lulu, and Sprinkle are a herd now,” he finished going down a giant Post-It note that had what he just listed, using his back scratcher as a pointer.


“Ok, that leads me to my next question,” Nick looked Discord up and down. “If you are just as powerful as you claim you are, how come you don’t just save Equestria? Why bring me into this mess?”


Discord just frowned. “I thought you were smarter than that furball.” When Nick continued to stare at him blankly, he sighed. “Ok, I’ll illustrate it to you in images so you can keep up.”


“That’s not necc-” Before he could finish, he was flung up through the hole in the roof, and started to fall. He tried to use his magic to levitate, but it was futile. The ground was rapidly getting larger and there was no sign of the trickster.


“DISCORD!!!”


Nick crashed into the dirt, momentarily blacking out. When he came to, he noticed that he was no longer in the castle. In fact he wasn’t too sure where he was, but he did know that Discord was up to no good, judging by some buildings floating effortlessly in the air and a cotton candy cloud raining down chocolate milk on him.


“Alright Discord, very funny,” Nick called out, looking for the spirit. “How about explaining why you brought me here?”


“I’ll tell you what we’ve learned Discord. We’ve learned that friendship isn’t always easy. But there’s no doubt it’s worth fighting for.”


“That sounded like Twilight,” Nick mused, heading towards the source of her voice. After being forced to slide backwards down on the path, he found his marefriend, her friends and Discord. For some reason the Tree didn’t show him this scene, so he watched on as the Elements of Harmony activated their gems and petrified Discord.


As soon as they started walking to him, a hole opened up beneath him, but instead of falling through it, he was repulsed up once again and landed softly on his bed.


“Clear as a frog now?” the spirit asked him.


“Because the Elements of Harmony defeated you?” Nick guessed, getting really annoyed with Discord’s behavior.


“Sort of,” Discord replied. “First of all, Harmy and I aren’t exactly on good terms, duh. Can’t have both of us in the same room, or we’d be breaking some laws. Although now that I think of it, that may actually be fun. Besides, she likes to take ordinary ponies and make them special. Just look at your marefriend. Secondly I was born out of the darkness, but unlike my former fellow villains, I have learned the Magic of Friendship and all that other nonsense your marefriend spouts.”


“Yeah but since you have darkness in you, won’t that make you immune to their attacks?”


“And them mine, yep. Honestly Nick, have you ever tried to drown a fish? It is very hard to do.”


“Well not really, humans do it all the time by creating algal blooms and-”


“Not that way you nerd, no wonder bookworm loves you. I actually drowned the fish in normal, Equestrian water, not permanently mind you. I may be pro Chaos, but killing is beneath me.” He paused, “Killing, I’d like you to meet Nick.”


Discord was now standing on a fish bowl.


“So you can bring dead things back to life? Then that means you could stop me from dying too.”


“Hold your ponies there, Nick.” A bunch of plushies that resembled Twilight and her friends landed on the wolf. “That was only because I inflicted the harm, you on the other hand will be hurting yourself. And I didn’t bring Killing back to life, I simply just reversed time.”


“Simply reversed time?”


“Want me to prove it again?”


“...”


“I didn’t think so. Well if that’s all the questions you have for me, I’ll be going.”


“Sure, run away you coward,” an all too familiar voice spoke.


“Why didn’t I see this coming?” Discord sighed. “Hello, Sombra.”


“That’s KING Sombra to you, you traitor!” Nick barked back at him. “I’d banish you to the abyss I’m currently taking refuge in had I the power.”


“As if,” Discord rolled his eyes. “You may be able to possess the poor wolf here, but you’d never be as strong as me.”


Sombra just laughed. “Don’t you get it you fool?! The stronger this wolf becomes, the stronger I do too. So in the end, it will be because of him that Equestria shall burn! Why do you think I keep repeating his nightmares over and over? His constant fear and anguish are what exhilarate me. He honestly thought that he could have maimed that manticore by himself? All I had to do was tap into his parents’ deaths and he did the rest.”


“That means-” Nick had managed to gain some control of his body.


“Exactly wolf, I’ve been with you since the beginning. I was able to use what remaining magic I had to attach to you through your first nightmare. And was that risk worth it! I was the reason you fainted, the reason memories from your past have been surfacing, the reason you will join us.”


“I’d rather die, than join the darkness.”


“Oh, I know you would, hero,” Sombra chuckled. “However, no matter how strong you become, I will always be stronger. Even if you stopped your training right now, I’d still continue to grow stronger. I’m even getting close enough to no longer relying on your body to survive.”


“Why are you telling us this Sombra?” Discord was getting annoyed with the cliche villain monologue.


“Because, I’ve already won. I’ve determined Nick’s fate, no matter what he chooses the darkness will win. However, I am willing to make an offer, so he doesn’t have to lose everything.”


“He just said-”


“Let’s hear him out Discord,” Nick interrupted.


“That’s a smart wolf,” Sombra smiled. “Here is what I propose. If you keep training to your full power and don’t sacrifice yourself, the darkness will leave you, your lovers and your friends alone. You get to live with them and we can take control. Also, by being linked to the darkness your precious princesses won’t outlive you, making you immortal as well. Sounds like more than a fair deal to me.”


“And if I don’t take your offer?”


“Then you can watch them all suffer at my hoof, or rather your paw, since I will take control over your body and murder or enslave every last pony in Equestria.”


Nick was silent for a while before replying. “I’ll need to think it over.”


“Fine by me,” Sombra smiled. “I’ll know your decision by the Gala.”


The red pupils and black smoke flowing from Nick’s eyes vanished, leaving Nick back to his former self.


“What were you thinking -” Discord tried to interrupt again before Nick placed a paw in front of his muzzle.


Using paw gestures, Nick motioned for Discord to possess him, which took a few minutes to actually convey. Although Nick didn’t want to have that icky, cold feeling again, he needed to see how the enemy was tracking his movements. Being possessed by Discord was an entirely different feeling. Everything felt inverted, normal, upside down all at the same time. Thankfully it didn’t take too long for Discord to determine that indeed Sombra had left Nick’s body and didn’t have any bugs planted in his mind.


“Why did you even entertain the notion of taking his offer?” Discord asked him.


“I needed to feed his ego,” Nick explained. “The more confident he feels, the more he’ll lower his guard. Also we learned something valuable. He needs me or else, why would he care if I sacrificed myself? I will continue training, I only have the hydra left, which according to my latest nightmare will allow me to split my body. With my magic being split among each villain, that is what will give us a fighting chance.”


“What if Sombra is just trying to trick you?”


“That he could be. But seeing as he just came to gloat over how powerful and strong he was, he most likely wasn’t trying to be coy. From what I remember reading and also what he just said, he loves bringing fear into the hearts of others, that’s what he’s trying to do now. Make us believe he’s won and that the only way to win is to accept his offer. But with us we’ll have the power of Harmony on our side.”


“That was by far the cheesiest and most cliche thing I’ve ever heard you say,” Discord rolled his eyes.


“Says the Draconequus that was vanquished by it twice,” Nick smirked. “Speaking of which I have another favor to ask you. Do you think that you could train me to resist possession?”


“And why should I help you further?” Discord asked in reply. “You’re the hero of this story, not me.”


“Well, if you want to make sure poor Fluttershy is safe, then you’ll help me. When Sombra possessed me, I felt just like I did when I was finishing off the manticore. He’s not lying when he said he was growing stronger. Besides the hero always has a sidekick that ends up getting them out of a pickle.”


Discord harrumphed. “As if I’d play sidekick to a human.”


“How about helpful, omnipotent, trickster god?”


“That’s much better,” Discord grinned. “Never let it be said that flattery won’t get you anywhere Nick. I won’t be able to train you to resist possession however, Sombra and you are too connected as it is. I do have an idea of how you can dampen his control over you.”

Author's Note:

Hiya Everyone!

Hope you enjoyed this chapter, cuz it will be my last! For now at least :yay: I need to take another hiatus. :ajsleepy: Also, in the spirit of Thanksgiving I'd like to take this time to do a short gratitude list. First of all, I'm thankful to be in good health and good academic standing (this semester has really worn me out.) Secondly I'm thankful for my wonderful editor RocSushi for keeping me sane and helping me improve my writing. Lastly but certainly not least, I'd like to thank you the reader for supporting this story, giving me fair criticism and overall giving this story a chance. :pinkiesad2: Ok enough with the sentiments. Have a Happy Thanksgiving, a safe Black Friday, and Happy Holidays/ Merry Christmas! :twilightsmile: